Author Topic: Surprisingly, My Work Says "Don't Take Day Off to Vote"  (Read 1806 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Surprisingly, My Work Says "Don't Take Day Off to Vote"
« on: October 31, 2008, 10:24:44 AM »
Kind of a shocker being the gov -- must be because the Secretary is a Republican appointee or something.  :laugh:

But anyway, an email came out this morning telling us we CAN'T take a day of leave specifically to vote. Apparently the rule is that if your polling place is open for 3 hours or more on either side of your schedule, you vote on your own time. That should spoil a lot of plans for people planning to "take the day off for Obama". :)
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Lennyjoe

• friend
Re: Surprisingly, My Work Says "Don't Take Day Off to Vote"
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2008, 10:43:07 AM »
Bummer.

I went and voted on Wed.  Early voting here and it took about 15 minutes from start to finish.  Heck they even checked my voter registration card and verified in the computer system before they would let me hit the machine.    =)

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2008, 11:07:11 AM »
I'm actually thinking about taking the day off and sitting in the deer stand.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2008, 11:11:20 AM »
Racism.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2008, 02:49:44 PM »
I already voted as well....sent in my absentee ballot, so I don't have to stand in line. =D

(that, and driving 450 miles just to vote would be a bit of a pain).

The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Werewolf

• friend
  • Lead, Follow or Get the HELL out of the WAY!
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2008, 03:01:15 PM »
Haven't missed a National election since 1972 and nary any election no matter how trivial since 1985 when I got out of the Navy.

Take a day off to vote? Hmmmm...

Might take the day off. If I do though I think I'll just sit home, drink beer and play Fallout 3. Seems appropriate, don't ya think.

Nov 4, 2008 - The day America dies!

Aside: McCain's got a virtual lock on Oklahoma and Mary Fallon (R) has a lock on my congressional district. So the lesser of two evils, McCain and Ms Fallon will win. They don't need my help. If I thought my vote would help keep that commie scumbag terrorist loving dip*&%$# Obama out of the office of the Presidency I'd be out there but it's a done deal. We're gonna have an America hating soul sucking robin hood wanna be for pres for at least the next 4 years and their ain't a damn thing we can do about it. The FIX is in. And even if it isn't it seems that yes Virginia, America is that STUPID!
« Last Edit: October 31, 2008, 03:09:32 PM by Werewolf »
Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love
truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.

Fight Me Online

Chuck Dye

• friend
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2008, 03:25:21 PM »
Oregon votes by mail.  The phone banks/boiler rooms pay attention to the ballots received lists and do not waste time on folk who have already voted.  For self protection alone, my ballot is long gone.  :)

Oh, and paid by the mile, I would have voted absentee.  The cost of getting to the poll would be prohibitive.
Gee, I'd love to see your data!

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2008, 03:59:06 PM »
Well, I still haven't figured out what the whole "ask your boss or professor for the day off" thing was supposed to accomplish. Other than trying to give people a taste of "vote for Obama, and we'll make your boss pay for lots of days off".

Unless Obama supporters really need 8 hours to mark their ballots....  :laugh:
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2008, 04:21:52 PM »
Yeah, I don't get the idea behind taking the entire day off to vote.  Voting takes half an hour, not all day.  I could understand an employee wanting to take a long lunch or something to vote, but taking a whole day off?  Nuh uh.

ronnyreagan

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2008, 04:35:27 PM »
Unless Obama supporters really need 8 hours to mark their ballots....  :laugh:

That seems quite possible to me...
You have to respect the president, whether you agree with him or not.
Obama, however, is not the president since a Kenyan cannot legally be the U.S. President ;/

crt360

• friend
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2008, 06:33:15 PM »
I voted yesterday during my lunch hour.
For entertainment purposes only.

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2008, 11:25:14 AM »
So many of the Obama supporters don't have a job to take off from.

Well, I still haven't figured out what the whole "ask your boss or professor for the day off" thing was supposed to accomplish.

Well, if you're registered under different names, it takes time to hit all the polling places, park the car, etc...

Really, what it demonstrates is Obama's contempt for business.  Nobody needs an entire day to vote, but if you have a job, and you're not there, it impacts the business.  Then again, given how many people will lose their jobs during his first Five Year Plan, it's probably best they get used to standing in line with nothing else to look forward to.
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.