Author Topic: Surprise, surprise, surprise! [/Gomer Pyle voice]  (Read 663 times)

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
Surprise, surprise, surprise! [/Gomer Pyle voice]
« on: August 25, 2012, 06:12:14 AM »
The headline says it all.  I just have nothing to add.

stay safe.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/24/100-year-old-package-open_n_1827839.html?icid=maing-grid10%7Chtmlws-main-bb%7Cdl3%7Csec1_lnk3%26pLid%3D196875

It was a mystery 100 years in the making.

On Friday, the contents of a mysterious package from Otta, Norway were finally revealed. The package, which dates back to 1912, appeared to hold a collection of historical documents, letters, newspapers and national decorations.

The unveiling was part of a celebration that included musical performances and a grand opening on stage. It was live-broadcasted by the Norwegian news outlet, Verdens Gang, which had been the first to report on the package.

During the event, the mayor of the Sel municipality in Norway snipped the rope around the package, as two directors of a local museum in Gudbrandsdal held onto it wearing gloves. The directors explained that they were opening the package from the back in an effort not to ruin the writing on the front, which had instructions that said, "May be opened in 2012."

Tension rose when the museum directors got through the first level of packaging, only to come upon another layer of paper with another rope tied around it. Then, they finally got to the actual items, including a white banner with gold tassels that said "Fra Kongen" which translates to "From the King." There were several other banner and flag-like decorations in the national colors of red, blue and white.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Re: Surprise, surprise, surprise! [/Gomer Pyle voice]
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2012, 08:55:46 AM »
 Were they expecting a letter from Harry Seldon?

Although it would have been really funny if it were a hundred year old practical joke.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

grampster

• friend
Re: Surprise, surprise, surprise! [/Gomer Pyle voice]
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2012, 08:58:38 AM »
Were they expecting a letter from Harry Seldon?

Although it would have been really funny if it were a hundred year old practical joke.

A petrified turd would have been a good one!
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw