Author Topic: Surprise, Bosch is getting out of the solar business  (Read 562 times)

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
Surprise, Bosch is getting out of the solar business
« on: March 25, 2013, 09:54:14 AM »
http://www.foxbusiness.com/news/2013/03/22/germany-bosch-to-exit-solar-energy-business/

Two biggest issues are solar being unprofitable except for subsidies and China dumping the market with PV.

http://slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=3573205&cid=43249535

Naturally, I saw this on Slashdot, and posted "PVs are pretty nifty, I love them, but they're not a viable general alternative." Ye gods, you'd think two subjective nothing comments and one pretty broad but accurate statement would not start an excrement storm. My favorite was that government subsidies are always a good thing, because some government subsidized X and it worked out.

Followed by "fossil fuels are evil!" (how do you make PV cells without them?), big government solves all (then why is our huge government in debt?), "coal is subsidized by allowing it to make CO2" (And your life is subsidized because no one dropped a rock on your head?")

I swear, even fairly intelligent people can sometimes have really arbitrary and non-factual beliefs. I wouldn't call them morons. But wow, ideology can trump a lot. In fairness, this is still better than folks that think the world is 5,000 years old or whatnot, and dinosaurs are an atheist conspiracy theory.

Solar is a very nice niche power source. Maybe it'll become more viable someday. But you'll always have the issue of energy storage. Storing electricity sucks, the efficiency sucks. That's just one of those facts of the universe. I notice solar nutjobs tend never to dwell on the fact that IT ONLY BLOODY WORKS WHEN THE SUN SHINES.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
Re: Surprise, Bosch is getting out of the solar business
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2013, 10:22:01 AM »
Physics and Chemistry trump unicorn farts and fairey dust every time.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
Re: Surprise, Bosch is getting out of the solar business
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2013, 10:23:28 AM »
Physics and Chemistry trump unicorn farts and fairey dust every time.

Unless you have enough votes or dollars to buy the law.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.