Author Topic: Survey of women we know  (Read 6307 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: Survey of women we know
« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2006, 04:24:37 PM »
"I may be the most pathetic of the life-less dweebs, but at least I have some company."

No, you are in a class all by yourself, and there you shall remain.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Lee

• friend
« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2006, 04:47:42 PM »
A wise person once said 'marriage is all about learning to tolerate the faults of your spouse".  If we had spouses like that, we probably wouldn't be online right now.

« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2006, 05:36:02 PM »
I'll give my friend your email address and tell her what I think of you (which is good, BTW). I cannot guarantee that she will get in touch with you (knowing her, I'll bet you a dollar that she doesnt). She isnt single at the moment so of she does look you up don't expect too much, but you never know.

Oleg Volk

• Administrator
    • Volkstudio Blog
« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2006, 06:38:56 PM »
c_yeager, thanks! Please explain to your friend that my interest is social and not romantic.

Lee, Amish Bill called it "finding a partner with mutually attractive disfunctions."

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #29 on: November 06, 2006, 07:46:59 PM »
Barbara,

If you'll let me visit you a few times a year, I'll marry you. 
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #30 on: November 06, 2006, 10:29:43 PM »
My old pal Jim used to remind me at least a couple times a week: "You don't always get what you ask for, but you never get what you don't ask for."

His main variant upon that theme was: "You don't always get what you pay for, but you never get what you don't pay for."

He used to tell me to make lists: what I wanted, what I hoped for, what I feared, what I was and wasn't willing to do to achieve what I wanted, et cetera, et cetera, et cetera. To the extent that I stopped drawing up mental lists and actually exercised pen and paper, then took action, lists worked for me with truly amazing effectiveness.

Oleg, I've no doubt the sort of woman you're interested in not only exists, but could be found if you were to adopt an orderly, logical, efficient process: an "engineering process," as it were. Being a marketing and advertising guy, I tend to see it as a marketing and advertising challenge, though I'm sure my view's not congruent with yours to one degree or another.

Seems to me if you have a popular web site or two, you might start advertising on them.

All that said", I feel honor-bound to mention one more thing Jim used to tell me: "Be careful what you pray for, because you just might get it."

One of the great joys of getting old, I've found, is that I don't still want much very earnestly. I managed to get a lot of what I want, and some of it's worth having; the intensity with which I wanted it, however, led me this way, that way, and every other whichway except where I've actually been going all this time.

I'll wish you the best of success, and hope you succeed reasonably well, but not too well.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

« Reply #31 on: November 07, 2006, 01:41:20 AM »
Antibubba.  grin

I already proposed to GrislyAtoms last week.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #32 on: November 07, 2006, 02:47:52 AM »
It always happens when you least expect it. Some of the best advice I ever received was to take a full year off from pursuing relationships completely, pay attention to you instead and learn how to be comfortable with being by yourself first.  Accept that it is OK to be by yourself. You don't have to be one that defines their lives upon whether they're in a relationship or not. If you stop looking at and treating  every woman as a potential partner and just get to know them as individuals first and for a while, eventually you'll hit it off with one of them. Or maybe they'll come up with a friend or cousin for you. Least ways, you'll get an idea of which ones you might want to stay away from.

Hey Barbara, can we have an old fashioned shotgun shootin' in the air hootenanny for the wedding reception?  grin
Avoid cliches like the plague!

CatsDieNow

• friend
« Reply #33 on: November 07, 2006, 04:22:05 AM »
Hey, that's me!  What do I win?  cool  (I was taken off the market in June, though).

Personally, I think you should stop looking and trying too hard.  Every relationship I have been in came as a fortuitous opportunity rather than something that I saw coming down the pipe.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #34 on: November 07, 2006, 04:56:34 AM »
I got married not to long ago.

When I first met my wife it was at a conference drinking with friends in our motel, in the evenings after the dinner and crap is over with it pretty much is a big cocktail party where everyone leaves their rooms open. I went walking in search of more ice or something and this woman started talking to me in the hall. I had long hair down past my shoulders at the time and she was a bit tipsy and asked to braid my hair into pig tails. Nothing more than that happened that night. I was pretty happy being single and had a "friend" that I could call at anytime, so I wasn't interested in anything more than being acquaintances.

At breakfast she asked me for my phone number and email, so I reluctantly gave her mine then gave me hers. Well a couple months went by and I dropped her an email to see how she was doing. We chatted back and forth on the phone and email for the next couple of months. I was going to a family function in the town she lived in (90 miles from me) and wanted to see if she wanted to go out for a few drinks and dinner while I was in town. I wasn't even looking for a relationship potential and she swears she wasn't either, but something happened that night and we have been together ever since. Kind of funny because because both of us were quite happy being single before that night.

I used to have a list of what I thought wanted in a woman, She doesn't even fit half of my list and I'm very happy with that too. She is so much more than the list I had.

-C

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Stickjockey

• friend
« Reply #35 on: November 07, 2006, 05:00:58 AM »
Your conditions actually come close to describing both my wife and my sister-in-law.

Quote from: Monkeyleg
My wife meets most, but not all. And I consider myself lucky.

Same boat here.

Quote from: Oleg
Trying to decide if I should even bother looking for a mate.

My answer to this would be no. I met my wife while I was not only not looking, but actively notlooking. I'm not sure what the rationale is, but it seems that when you're not looking for it, it starts looking for you.
APS #405. Plankowner? You be the judge.
We can't stop here! This is bat country!!

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #36 on: November 07, 2006, 05:18:49 AM »
Careful what you ask for, you just might get it.

Oleg, your list narrows down the field considerably...but your desire for irreligiosity pretty much leaves the endeavor in the realm of fantasy and Ayn Rand novels.  If you hadn't listed the irreligiosity part, I would have said, "Go to your nearest evangelical, theologically conservative church and participate in all the activities."  You'd be most likely to find a match, there. Truthfully, I doubt you will be able to find such a gal even at a Libertarian Party convention.

I would think your only slim hope at checking off those boxes would be someone with a background similar to yours.

Good luck.  I wouldn't search too hard, however.  Folks doing that give off a whiff of desperation that the opposite sex can detect and it usually makes them run off.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Phantom Warrior

• friend
« Reply #37 on: November 07, 2006, 06:43:41 AM »
Alright.  It's time the cynic weighed in.  I'm in the same boat, except my criteria are more religious and straight conservative.  Looks are negotiable, but I'm probably at least as stringent as you are on those criteria.

I have been looking, not looking, and violently notlooking for about six and a half years.  I have been 100% unsucessful with women that met my criteria, women that didn't, and women that came no where near it.  All women I have found very attractive, for whatever reason.

Women are trouble and nothing but.  Cynic, out.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #38 on: November 07, 2006, 07:21:01 AM »
Women are trouble and nothing but.  Cynic, out.
Heh...  One of these days you're going to be proven wildly, fantastically, famously wrong.  Domestic bliss is going appear out of nowhere and smack you upside the head.  You'll choke on those words.

Tongue

lumpy

« Reply #39 on: November 07, 2006, 08:30:11 AM »
Hey headless we have something to agree on!
"I have tried to talk about the issues in this campaign... and this has sometimes been a lonely road, because I never meet anybody coming the other way."
Adlai E. Stevenson

DrAmazon

• friend
« Reply #40 on: November 07, 2006, 09:13:33 AM »
Ok Oleg.  I'll bite.

1.  Yes, unless teaching for a state supported university doesn't count.  In theory I could restrict myself to only private colleges, I just haven't had the luxury of being that picky yet.

2.  I'm somewhere in the blur where I'm mostly socially libertarian and fiscally conservative.  I'd like to see my government stick to the constitution and leave the rest for us to take care of either ourselves or thorough organizations/charities that the we set up, support financially and operate. 

3.  I can't really answer 3.  I think that I meet that description, but I'm sure that my ex-husband and a few ex-boyfriends would strongly disagree.  My "fits" tend to be mostly self directed-I get most upset with myself when I feel that I'm not measuring up to my own expectations of myself.  I'm getting better about it. 

4.  None of my own, not raising anyone elses.  I do still want to have children and as far as I know I am still able, but I am in my mid-30s, so who knows for sure.

5.  Mostly healthy, and height-weight proportionate (can't spell today).  I feel that I'm out of shape right now, but refer to answer 3. I do drink socially, in my past I have been known to drink to loss of self-control, but I'm far more careful now.

6.  American born.

BUT, I'm a practicing Roman Catholic.  (I can hear the game show loser sound in the background).

Standing Wolf and Justin both know me and I give them permission to comment. 
Experiment with a chemist!

Oleg Volk

• Administrator
    • Volkstudio Blog
« Reply #41 on: November 07, 2006, 09:50:02 AM »
No offense is meant towards those who believe in gods. I just know that my own views would hardly be compatible with a beliver...and it would come up as an issue when kids show up and likely sooner.

Stetson

• friends
« Reply #42 on: November 07, 2006, 10:22:38 AM »
I know someone that fits all except the political views part.  She might, I just don't know her views there.

She is very gainfully employed, doesn't cling, is independant but not a feminist(the bad kind), doesn't smoke, exercises and is single.

Eleven Mike

• friends
  • All your desert are belong to us.
« Reply #43 on: November 07, 2006, 11:12:11 AM »
I think my wife fits the description.  How much are we talkin' here?  I will accept payment in firearms and accessories. 

lumpy

« Reply #44 on: November 07, 2006, 11:24:26 AM »
I forgot one other criterion...this one pretty much removes all US contenders: preferably not religious.

My wife still fits the bill and she is American... damn life is good.
"I have tried to talk about the issues in this campaign... and this has sometimes been a lonely road, because I never meet anybody coming the other way."
Adlai E. Stevenson

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #45 on: November 07, 2006, 12:12:47 PM »
Standing Wolf and Justin both know me and I give them permission to comment.

To the best of my knowledge, Dr. Amazon speaks the truth about herself.

I've always been glad she's quite a few years younger than I and religious, or this old atheist would have... Well, on second thought, I'll just leave myself out of this discussion.

In full seriousness, Oleg: I don't see your criteria as excessively demanding at all, nor do I have any doubt women meeting them are to be found here, there, and a few dozen other places. Abundant? No, they're probably not; conversely, neither are men capable of appreciating them.

You'll do fine; how soon you'll realize it is another story.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #46 on: November 07, 2006, 07:16:01 PM »
Barbara said:

Antibubba. 
I already proposed to GrislyAtoms last week.

As I said, I would visit just a few times a year.
I have no problems with a timeshare, as long as it's clean and has a good view.   laugh
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

DrAmazon

• friend
« Reply #47 on: November 08, 2006, 03:30:11 AM »
[quote author=Standing Wolf link=topic=4902.msg74346#msg74346 date=1162937567

I've always been glad she's quite a few years younger than I and religious, or this old atheist would have... Well, on second thought, I'll just leave myself out of this discussion.

[/quote]

Thanks, Wolf.  Shame we don't have the blushing smiliey face on this forum...
Experiment with a chemist!

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #48 on: November 08, 2006, 06:40:04 AM »
Yep, that is my wife, right down to the not religious part. Now we could discuss the even tempered part, but I don't want her to kill me.  grin  She is a wild one, that is for sure. The more she pays in taxes the less big L liberal she becomes, living in the sticks with 1 hour+ police response has toned her down on the anti-gun thing pretty good too.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

The Sage of Seattle

« Reply #49 on: November 09, 2006, 01:27:49 PM »
It's kind of funny that you bring this up, Oleg.  I was bitching to one of my married female friends about the fact that I have only married female friends (or rather, no available single women friends would be more accurate). 

For a long time, I have just stopped seeking out female companionship, though I still want it.  The thing is, I feel like I need to keep myself open to what life offers and not discard a possible successful relationship just because she doesn't fit my preconceived criteria.  I make plans, sure, but I try not to become upset when they never happen the way I want them to.  I think ultimately that I've done my best to make peace with the idea that I may never have the kind of loving relationship that some have displayed on this forum (and others I know in real life), yet it never stops me from taking the risk each and every time.  It hurts when I'm rejected, but I feel like I will never have the opportunity to have that love unless I continue to risk. 

At any rate, I'm rambling now, so I'll just post a lame poem I wrote a few weeks ago for one of my other married friend's birthday.  She and I still have a unique relationship that she hasn't been able to find with anyone else, even her husband, which I cherish.  So I try to focus on the friends and love I DO have and not so much on the friends and love I WISH I had.

For what it's worth, here it is:

Ten thousand trees frozen, just about to crack
This lone tree only, warm, reviving
In the village nearby, deep in snow
Amazing beauty and grace yet surviving

Breezes waft the hidden fragrance
Next year again, if it's true to season
The cherry blossoms will open their petals
Revealing their wisdom beyond reason

I've not ceased dreaming and desiring         
Yet I take what comes and am never in doubt     
For the warmth and love of family and friends