Author Topic: Surprised the music nuts around didn't already post this one.  (Read 1591 times)

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/keith-emerson-emerson-lake-and-palmer-keyboardist-dead-at-71-20160311

Keith Emerson committed suicide on Friday. According to his live in girlfriend it was due to fear of being unable to preform at his best at some upcoming shows in Japan.

Anyway, sad news for the rock world.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Andiron

• friend
Re: Surprised the music nuts around didn't already post this one.
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2016, 09:20:52 PM »
I guess I'm waiting for the tongue lashing and condemnation for not bowing before this particular rock God.  Bowie setting the tone and all.

Sucks the guy killed himself,  but I don't really care.  He was an entertainer.  I'm not getting worked up over his passing.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2016, 09:25:42 PM »
I guess I'm waiting for the tongue lashing and condemnation for not bowing before this particular rock God.  Bowie setting the tone and all.

Sucks the guy killed himself,  but I don't really care.  He was an entertainer.  I'm not getting worked up over his passing.

Have you ever heard the phrase "discretion is the better part of valor." ?

If you don't care about the subject, then just don't post, rather than being a self important jerk who likes to piss on the coffin at a wake.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2016, 09:34:35 PM »
Damn. Really like my ELP cd.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2016, 09:38:04 PM »
Have you ever heard the phrase "discretion is the better part of valor." ?

If you don't care about the subject, then just don't post, rather than being a self important jerk who likes to piss on the coffin at a wake.

Doesn't apply.  I'm sick of the self righteous telling me that I didn't properly abase myself.

If you feel the need to be condescending to any opinion that doesn't match yours,  I'll happily point out that IDGAF.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2016, 09:38:33 PM »
Damn. Really like my ELP cd.

ELP is not one I've actually heard a lot of. Dad never cared for more than their first album, and his taste often dictated what I got exposed to in the way of stuff you don't hear on the radio. I really like Lucky Man, but had no real clue who it was or what else they had. I really liked some of the stuff I've heard tonight, though. I think I'll have to get the first album, which has a lot of the same sounds as King Crimson (which makes sense, since Lake was in the first round of Crimson)

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2016, 09:39:33 PM »
Doesn't apply.  I'm sick of the self righteous telling me that I didn't properly abase myself.

It's not about abasing yourself. It's about being polite because a man is dead.

Even my Dad was polite, and he never cared much for ELP.

Have some *expletive deleted*ing class.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2016, 09:48:51 PM »
I listened to ELP way back when.  I  can hear snatches of "Pictures at an Exhibition" in my head right now.

He's not someone I followed, past my young adult hood.  In fact, a lot of these dead rockers are folks that don't connect with me real well.  But it is a sign of our era closing.

Dead by his own hand at 71 -- tragic.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Frank Castle

• friend
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2016, 10:25:29 PM »
I read he problems with his hand, nerve damage.   

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2016, 10:30:44 PM »
I read he problems with his hand, nerve damage.   

Apparently there was surgery to remove damaged muscle, but the nerves never went back 100% and he had related pain issues. Certainly a tragic event for a keyboardist.

That's why I find his suicide so sad. Although I don't think he should have killed himself, I can see it when an artist loses his ability to make his art that the pain of that could be more than they can take.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2016, 10:35:18 PM »
Have some *expletive deleted*ing class.

Nicely put!  But I have no idea who Keith Emerson was.  Maybe I've heard of Emerson, Lake, & Palmer; not sure.

Listening to this now https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7NAGTq_IJQ
"It's good, though..."

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2016, 10:42:03 PM »
Nicely put!  But I have no idea who Keith Emerson was.  Maybe I've heard of Emerson, Lake, & Palmer; not sure.

Listening to this now https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7NAGTq_IJQ

Dad pushed me to go for the first album.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEtk-Rqjz38

So far, I'm enjoying what I've heard.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2016, 10:45:36 PM »
I guess I'm waiting for the tongue lashing and condemnation for not bowing before this particular rock God.

I guess you really couldn't wait.  ;/
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Frank Castle

• friend
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2016, 10:59:43 PM »
Apparently there was surgery to remove damaged muscle, but the nerves never went back 100% and he had related pain issues. Certainly a tragic event for a keyboardist.

I had 2 sugary on my elbow for nerve damage, in my hand. The doctor told be i maybe never get full feeling back in my hand. I see the doctor tomorrow afternoon, and i need to tell him it's still acting wrong.

This my shooting hand also.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2016, 11:01:34 PM »
I had 2 sugary on my elbow for nerve damage, in my hand. The doctor told be i maybe never get full feeling back in my hand. I see the doctor tomorrow afternoon, and i need to tell him it's still acting wrong.

This my shooting hand also.

=(

HForrest

• friend
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2016, 11:39:05 PM »
I've moved on a bit from my prog rock phase but used to really enjoy a lot of the stuff. I was really more into Yes than ELP (speaking of which we just lost Chris Squire last year). ELP had some really quality innovative material though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKNOlDtZluU I listened to Tarkus the other day to commemorate Emerson's passing. Great song, definitely drones on in a lot of sections as progressive rock is well known for, but the song's opening is impressive, and I've always really enjoyed the "Battlefield" and "Aquatarkus" sections in the latter part.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2016, 12:43:06 AM »
ELP is not one I've actually heard a lot of. Dad never cared for more than their first album, and his taste often dictated what I got exposed to in the way of stuff you don't hear on the radio.

Your father and I might get along well. I liked early ELP. Made the mistake of buying tickets to a live performance, and HATED it.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2016, 12:47:41 AM »
ELP, Yes, Genesis, Pink Floyd, Moody Blues, Jethro Tull, Kraftwerk were the soundtrack for my 1970's and early 80's.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2016, 12:55:11 AM »
Your father and I might get along well. I liked early ELP. Made the mistake of buying tickets to a live performance, and HATED it.

Dad likes the first album and largely due to the simularity to King Crimson (he's always been a huge Fripp fan)
I listened to it tonight and really enjoyed it as well. I really liked the strong jazz sound of it, but I must say, I now wonder how much King Crimson is as much Fripp's as he's like the world to believe or if Lake was a strong influence on him.  :laugh: I'm surprised the ego's of the two of them actually fit in the same studio.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re:
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2016, 07:26:32 AM »
Taking me back to my 8-track era

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2016, 08:12:41 AM »
ELP, Yes, Genesis, Pink Floyd, Moody Blues, Jethro Tull, Kraftwerk were the soundtrack for my 1970's and early 80's.

:laugh:  Sorry. I just think the juxtaposition is hilarious.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2016, 10:08:17 AM »
Nicely put!  But I have no idea who Keith Emerson was.
Did he start that Emerson company that makes electronics stuff? 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge