Author Topic: Seattle stabbing  (Read 1695 times)

Unisaw

• friend
Seattle stabbing
« on: July 25, 2009, 11:46:28 AM »
You may have heard that two women were brutally stabbed, one fatally, in their Seattle home.  Here is a recent article about the arrest of the suspect.  The bold section was highlighted by me.

Police Arrest Man in Fatal Seattle Stabbing

Saturday , July 25, 2009

SEATTLE —
A 23-year-old man was arrested Friday in a brutal attack that killed one woman and injured another as they slept in their home.

Isaiah M.K. Kalebu was taken into custody for questioning and would be booked into jail for investigation of murder, said Sgt. Sean Whitcomb.

Earlier Friday, police released a photo of Kalebu, describing him as their primary suspect, and saying he was the person shown in a surveillance video they also released. A transit bus driver told police he'd seen a man fitting the description and Kalebu was found with his pit bull in Seattle's Magnuson Park.

Kalebu is suspected in the July 19 murder of Teresa Butz, 39, and the wounding of her partner, a 36-year-old woman, who was injured when they were stabbed by a man who apparently crawled in through a window in Seattle's South Park neighborhood.

Police did not disclose any details about evidence linking Kalebu to the stabbings.

The Seattle Times said Kalebu was scheduled for trial on domestic violence charges Aug. 6 in King County, accused of threatening to kill his mother while he lived with her in 2008. Pierce County sheriff's spokesman Ed Troyer confirmed Friday to The News Tribune that Kalebu was questioned, but not arrested or charged, after a July 9 Tacoma-area fire that killed two people, including Kalebu's aunt, Rachel Kalebu, 61.

Troyer also confirmed that detectives continue to consider him a "person of interest" in the case.

"Nobody's been ruled in or out," said Troyer, who did not immediately respond to Associated Press phone and e-mail messages Friday night.

Court records in the King County case show Kalebu was charged with felony harassment and first-degree malicious mischief. Prosecutors say he threatened to kill his mother after she confronted him in March 2008 for not taking prescribed medication for "bipolar and manic-depressive" conditions, according to court documents.

A state psychologist evaluation in 2008 found he "did not have the capacity to rationally understand" the case against him at that time.

Seattle police have called the South Park stabbings one of the most brutal crimes they've seen. The victims eventually managed to get outside after the attack.

Before she died, Butz talked to a neighbor, Albert Barrientes, saying of the attacker: "He told us if we did what he asked us to do, he wouldn't hurt us. He lied, he lied."

Butz's partner, who has not been identified, was released Monday from Harborview Medical Center.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,534784,00.html?test=latestnews
Well, if you have the sudden urge to lick your balls you'll know you got the veterinary version... K Frame

Standing Wolf

• friend
Re: Seattle stabbing
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2009, 03:35:10 PM »
Why was he running around on the loose?
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2009, 06:03:11 PM »
Why was he running around on the loose?

My question exactly. If he's not rational enough to help defend himself against criminal charges, how is he rational enough to be allowed out on the street where he has access to more people to threaten,assault/burn/kill?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2009, 06:53:27 PM »
I agree with that.

1.  If he isn't sane enough to stand trial, he should be locked up.
2.  If he becomes sane enough, he should stand trial no matter how long after.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

LadySmith

• friends
  • Veni, Vidi, Jactavi Calceos
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2009, 07:09:27 PM »
As Unisaw pointed out, the edict to comply with a criminal's demands should not always be followed:

Before she died, Butz talked to a neighbor, Albert Barrientes, saying of the attacker: "He told us if we did what he asked us to do, he wouldn't hurt us. He lied, he lied."
Rogue AI searching for amusement and/or Ellie Mae imitator searching for critters.
"What doesn't kill me makes me stronger...and it also makes me a cat-lover" - The Viking
According to Ben, I'm an inconvenient anomaly (and proud of it!).

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2009, 12:25:21 AM »
My question exactly. If he's not rational enough to help defend himself against criminal charges, how is he rational enough to be allowed out on the street where he has access to more people to threaten,assault/burn/kill?

The USA is odd in this way:
1. The gov't will fully support able-bodied & able-minded folk to live in public housing while getting AFDC, food stamps, crazy checks, & all sorts of other taxpayer-extracted goodies.
2. If one is obviously mentally ill and incapable of taking care of themselves, we'll kick them to the curb so as to respect rights they are incapable of understanding or exercising.

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2009, 11:47:56 AM »
i read that and wish i could deny its truth
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

mellestad

• friend
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2009, 02:23:33 PM »
I agree with that.
1.  If he isn't sane enough to stand trial, he should be locked up.
2.  If he becomes sane enough, he should stand trial no matter how long after.

I think part of the reason is that in the U.S. mental health is still a very grey area.  I can understand why though, the idea that the government can forcibly commit someone is not comforting.  Like One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest.

On the other hand I remember an article about a father who had a son go off of his medication...the kid had not committed any crimes, but he was living on the street, being a crazy person.  The dad could not get anyone to help him because he had to voluntarily commit himself.  It was very sad.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2009, 02:42:27 PM »

On the other hand I remember an article about a father who had a son go off of his medication...the kid had not committed any crimes, but he was living on the street, being a crazy person.  The dad could not get anyone to help him because he had to voluntarily commit himself.  It was very sad.

Somewhat on point to the original posting, we have had several stories of this in the Seattle area.  Washington state mental health law is very much geared towards patient autonomy, and the ability of family and friends to intervene is almost nil.  We have strict criteria under which a person can be committed against their will, and as a result, those persons sometimes are free to go off and commit crimes or kill themselves.  The morbid term used in these situations is 'dying with their rights on'.  The patient's free will and ability to choose was respected all the way up to their death.  Some very tragic situations.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Berettababe

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2009, 08:49:23 PM »
And if he were White and the victims were Black, this would be a hate crime.

I resent all double standards, even those that benefit me and mine.  =|

Stand_watie

• friend
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2009, 09:35:53 PM »
Somewhat on point to the original posting, we have had several stories of this in the Seattle area.  Washington state mental health law is very much geared towards patient autonomy, and the ability of family and friends to intervene is almost nil.  We have strict criteria under which a person can be committed against their will, and as a result, those persons sometimes are free to go off and commit crimes or kill themselves.  The morbid term used in these situations is 'dying with their rights on'.  The patient's free will and ability to choose was respected all the way up to their death.  Some very tragic situations.

I know of someone who is going to come to a bad end or hurt someone or both because the government respects his right to be both mentally ill and free. Sweetest guy in the world (and totally self sufficient, doesn't need any gov assistance) on his meds. Mad as a hatter without.
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2009, 09:48:51 PM »
we had a lil rise in folks with issues in dc.  2 fold problem.  1 the late mitch snyder went and bussed in homeless from other east coast cities for some of his rallies and demonstrations. many of them stayed. then during the reagan years we had a mass release from st elizabeths. . 3000 people who on monday were to wacky to be on the street were on wednesday  cured and released in a miracle
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I