Author Topic: And here comes polygamy  (Read 3414 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
And here comes polygamy
« on: October 30, 2019, 03:59:42 PM »
Maybe.

https://www.nationalreview.com/2019/10/is-limiting-marriage-to-two-people-constitutional/

Article suggests that the Katie Hill debacle may show that the camel's nose is already pretty far into the tent.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

zahc

• friend
Re: And here comes polygamy
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2019, 04:11:31 PM »
The polyamorists are way late to the table IMO. There's very little standing in the way I think. The only possible argument is that there is a fundamental difference between 2 and 3. But if sex was not found to be a fundamental difference, with regards to something as sexually central as marriage, then I think it will be hard to dodge the precedent.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2019, 04:20:40 PM »
Article suggests that the Katie Hill debacle may show that the camel's nose is already pretty far into the tent.
I don't know that Katie Hill deserves any credit in that area - to my knowledge she hasn't even said anything about polygamy.
If anyone deserves credit for that camel toe peeking under there, it's Joseph Smith & the LDS.  ;)
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2019, 06:09:23 PM »
The author's leap of logic was from Katie Hill and polyamory (or polypartnery) to polygamy.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2019, 07:13:14 PM »
What possible argument can be made against polygamy in light of our current cultural situation?

If anything it has historical and cultural precedent in human society stretching back throughout human history.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2019, 08:48:05 PM »
This is one of the areas where my hard core libertarian streak comes out.

What business is it of any government to control who or how many consenting adults any person or person can cohabitate and/fornicate with in any fashion they so choose?
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2019, 08:50:11 PM »

What business is it of any government to control who or how many consenting adults any person or person can cohabitate and/fornicate with in any fashion they so choose?

Pretty much, to me one wife is too much, but if my neighbor wants to balance 3 wives or 3 husbands, more power to you.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2019, 08:51:58 PM »
Pretty much, to me one wife is too much, but if my neighbor wants to balance 3 wives or 3 husbands, more power to you.

Some times one is almost two too many
 :rofl:
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2019, 08:53:16 PM »
Some times one is almost two too many
 :rofl:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Uranus is a gas giant.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2019, 10:30:13 PM »

Not this stuff again.  :facepalm:

Is this going to be like the same-sex stuff, the same lie all over again? People are already living with, and having sex with, whomever. I'm sure someone in this country already has their polyamorous household on a web-cam, for all to see. Or if not, there's certainly no legal bar to it. We all know that.

Can we stop pushing this lie that the government has to bless your relationship, or you're somehow not free?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2019, 10:36:59 PM »
Oh, well all of what I said is true. I realize now I misread RKL's post.

Still, we have to embrace the degradation, or we're big meanies who won't let people do the stuff they're clearly already free to do.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2019, 12:19:57 AM »
To me this is an easier argument than the same-sex marriage.

Like Ron said, there's pretty significant and wide ranging precedent for group families and multiple spouses (certainly multiple wives) being normal and endorsed by society.  If the government is going to be in the business of encouraging stable relationships, I'm not sure there's any real argument not to encourage 3 and 4 person families in addition to 2 person families.

My one concern, and it's not insignificant, is that we would want to look closely at ways to ensure that young people, specifically young women, are not being pushed into these relationships by men in positions of leadership and/or religious power over them.  It would be very easy to cross into abusive "consensual" relationships, which also has significant and wide ranging historical precedent.

I think this is being brought up when discussing Rep Hill's situation because they are deflecting from the main issue.  The issue isn't that she banged a bunch of people, that's between her and her husband.  The issue is she entered a sexual relationship with not one, but two of her employees.  It's almost universally acknowledged that you can't really get consent in that kind of situation, because as their boss, the idea of quid pro quo is always there, like the elephant in the room.  Which is why the federal government (and I'm SURE specifically the House) has fraternization policies prohibiting that kind of relationship.  

Were this a male rep with some female employees we'd have already seen editorials talking about how it was probably rape, because those employees couldn't consent in that situation.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2019, 01:55:19 AM »

Ditto here.  It's none of my business who lieth with whom or how many "whoms" there are.  There are legal problems which one-to-one marriage addresses automatically (inheritance, next of kin, etc, etc.) but which could be spelled out in a formal (perhaps standardized) contract of cohabitation-- perhaps for specific periods. Ten years seems like a good number, see REF.

I see no non-theological reason to limit the number of parties involved if the parties can handle it.  And any theological reasons should not come under the purview of any governmental entity. (This, apart from the consent issues noted by dogmush and others.)

You want to make limits under the tenets of your religion, fine.  But keep my government out of it.

As it is, Terry said jokingly, right now we apparently have a system of sequential polygamy / polyandry anyway.

Terry

REF:
http://www.hopesandfears.com/hopes/city/city_index/214133-city-index-marriage-lengths

Trivia:
Larry King - 8 Marriages
Zsa Zsa Gábor - 9 Marriages
Boris Karloff - 6 Marriages
Elizabeth Taylor - 8 Marriages
Mickey Rooney - 8 Marriages
Lana Turner - 8 Marriages
Artie Shaw - 8 Marriages
Richard Pryor - 7 Marriages
Elizabeth Montgomery - 4 Marriages
Etc.  
Main source:
https://www.ranker.com/list/celebrities-with-the-most-marriages/general_crack

« Last Edit: October 31, 2019, 08:44:03 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Pb

• friend
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2019, 09:07:50 AM »

There is a difference between the gov controlling people cohabitating and fornicating, and giving legal sanction and recognition to these arrangements as a marriage.

What Ron said is absolutely correct.

If the Constitution protects homosexual "marriage" it sure a heck protects polygamous marriage also.

But the fact is, neither homosexual marriage nor polygamy is a constitutional right.

Claiming it protects the first but not the second is wildly inconsistent.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2019, 09:17:42 AM »
There is a difference between the gov controlling people cohabitating and fornicating, and giving legal sanction and recognition to these arrangements as a marriage.

What Ron said is absolutely correct.

If the Constitution protects homosexual "marriage" it sure a heck protects polygamous marriage also.

But the fact is, neither homosexual marriage nor polygamy is a constitutional right.

Claiming it protects the first but not the second is wildly inconsistent.

Marriage to anyone or anything isn't a constitutional right. Even heterosexual.

Uranus is a gas giant.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2019, 09:32:02 AM »
Marriage to anyone or anything isn't a constitutional right. Even heterosexual.
Maybe not specifically enumerated, but it has been ruled by the Supreme Court as a constitutionally protected fundamental right.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2019, 09:59:59 AM »
Maybe not specifically enumerated, but it has been ruled by the Supreme Court as a constitutionally protected fundamental right.

And everytime they rule, other types of marriages must allowed from sea to shinning sea, here comes pologamy! Thst should make all the SJW's heads explode.

Uranus is a gas giant.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2019, 10:16:17 AM »
And everytime they rule, other types of marriages must allowed from sea to shinning sea, here comes pologamy! Thst should make all the SJW's heads explode.

"Be careful what you ask for; you might get it."

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2019, 11:06:21 AM »
???  Who are you and what have you done with charby?  And why would allowing polygamists to get married offend SJWs?

brimic

• friends
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2019, 11:18:28 AM »
If a group of people can get married to eachother and somehow work they system to avoid paying taxes, I'm all for it.

ie. why shouldn't 2-5 couples get married together, pool their resources, buy a large property/house, cut their tax liability by having about 1/2 of them work and provide benefits, another few members homeschool the children, and the remainders act as command/coms/support/accounting.

On paper, it beats the hell out of the current system where people work themselves to death to scrape by while government schools indoctrinate their kids against them. In practice, it might be a disater, because of human nature.

ETA: I just provided all of the reasons why .gov would never allow this to happen, and why divorce lawyers would absolutely cream their boxers/panties over such an arrangement.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2019, 11:43:38 AM »
???  Who are you and what have you done with charby?  And why would allowing polygamists to get married offend SJWs?

I'm still here, if people minded their own business (kept to themselves and looked the other way), many of the rulings, laws, zoning restrictions, and etc. we currently grumble about, wouldn't be in "law".

SJW's exploding, just think about where one would find polygamy these days.

Uranus is a gas giant.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2019, 12:35:41 PM »
I'm still here, if people minded their own business (kept to themselves and looked the other way), many of the rulings, laws, zoning restrictions, and etc. we currently grumble about, wouldn't be in "law".
I'm not sure that's true, or at least in the way you're suggesting.  Especially given the rise in grievance seeking agents who seek out victimization in order to achieve their goals.

SJW's exploding, just think about where one would find polygamy these days.
The house of Representatives?
I don't think most SJWs would care if some weird religious sects got to have their plural marriages.  It's certainly not their goal, but not something that would bother them much.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2019, 12:47:19 PM »
I'm not sure that's true, or at least in the way you're suggesting.  Especially given the rise in grievance seeking agents who seek out victimization in order to achieve their goals.

If they (those offended) would of just looked the other way before victim status was achieved, you know live and let die.

The house of Representatives?
I don't think most SJWs would care if some weird religious sects got to have their plural marriages.  It's certainly not their goal, but not something that would bother them much.

How many SJW live in rural western states? Imagine polygamy in the big cities. Some old rich white dude has 3-4, 20 something young wives.

Uranus is a gas giant.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2019, 02:15:27 PM »
If they (those offended) would of just looked the other way before victim status was achieved, you know live and let die.
There may be a bit of truth to that, but looking the other way has never been an acceptable outcome for people pushing the boundaries of social norms.  Or rather, the subset of those people who militate on the issues.  That's true whether you're talking about Fred Phelps or Jonathan Yaniv.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2019, 02:46:04 PM »
To me this is an easier argument than the same-sex marriage.

Like Ron said, there's pretty significant and wide ranging precedent for group families and multiple spouses (certainly multiple wives) being normal and endorsed by society.  If the government is going to be in the business of encouraging stable relationships, I'm not sure there's any real argument not to encourage 3 and 4 person families in addition to 2 person families.

My one concern, and it's not insignificant, is that we would want to look closely at ways to ensure that young people, specifically young women, are not being pushed into these relationships by men in positions of leadership and/or religious power over them.  It would be very easy to cross into abusive "consensual" relationships, which also has significant and wide ranging historical precedent.

I think this is being brought up when discussing Rep Hill's situation because they are deflecting from the main issue.  The issue isn't that she banged a bunch of people, that's between her and her husband.  The issue is she entered a sexual relationship with not one, but two of her employees.  It's almost universally acknowledged that you can't really get consent in that kind of situation, because as their boss, the idea of quid pro quo is always there, like the elephant in the room.  Which is why the federal government (and I'm SURE specifically the House) has fraternization policies prohibiting that kind of relationship.  

Were this a male rep with some female employees we'd have already seen editorials talking about how it was probably rape, because those employees couldn't consent in that situation.
This would be my concern given the history.  Not sure how that would be put into law if possible.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge