Author Topic: Laptop Screen Failure -- A Little Help?  (Read 1075 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Laptop Screen Failure -- A Little Help?
« on: January 14, 2009, 02:07:22 PM »
Anyone have any ideas for troubleshooting this problem (see image below)? This is a friend's Dell Inspiron laptop. The line down the center of the screen just appeared out of nowhere while she was watching a DVD. While diagnosing, I hooked an external monitor to the laptop and the external image is fine. There was no dropping of the laptop or anything. The connection to video card seems to be fine. Given the good image on the external monitor I'm assuming the video card is good as well.

Suggestions for anything to try, or is her screen hosed?

"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
Re: Laptop Screen Failure -- A Little Help?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2009, 05:25:37 PM »
Go to Dull's support site, look up the serial number, see if it's under warranty.

Connection gone bad, somewhere between motherboard and display.  It needs a new screen.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2009, 05:48:41 PM »
Go to Dull's support site, look up the serial number, see if it's under warranty.

Connection gone bad, somewhere between motherboard and display.  It needs a new screen.

what Lee said.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2009, 05:55:49 PM »

Not quite, but close.

Circuitry gone bad inside the screen itself.  Being a digital transfer of information, the distorted image you are getting has nothing to do with a loose connection via the DVI or HDMI connection interface by which your LCD is fed.

Regardless, Lee's right.  New screen.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2009, 07:56:50 PM »
Damn, I was afraid of that. I had also tried the old "screen tweaking trick" to no avail, so was already thinking this. It's definitely out of warranty, but I'll check to see if there were any recalls or anything on that model due to maybe an over-occurrence of this.

Thanks for the help chums!
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

txgho1911

• friends
  • sedition hammer
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2009, 08:24:06 PM »
Look for a used pc of same model to scrap the screen and have a spare of ... everything.
socialnewswatchDOTcom instead of Drudge

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2009, 11:00:41 PM »
Look for a used pc of same model to scrap the screen and have a spare of ... everything.

Well hell if he gets a used one of  the same model, just swap the hard drives.
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage