Author Topic: Well, that explains the extra long commute tonight  (Read 1406 times)

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
Well, that explains the extra long commute tonight
« on: November 26, 2019, 08:53:31 PM »
Normally it takes me about 25 minutes to get home, tonight was 1.5 hours. I guess we has a snow burst in that area, my wife was in it and said it was a mini blizzard. I would reckon people on the freeway kept going about 70+ instead of slowing down. I hopped off of the freeway but was still clobbered by traffic on the back way, I guess I wasn't the only one with that idea. :(

https://www.krem.com/article/traffic/multiple-crashes-snarl-traffic-in-both-directions-on-i-90-near-geiger-blvd/293-36b57920-68a1-413a-b600-71afb4ffc0f8

bob

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Re: Well, that explains the extra long commute tonight
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2019, 09:23:21 PM »
We're getting pounded in north Iowa, I'm hoping that we don't get the predicted 10" and 45mph winds.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2019, 09:37:55 PM by charby »
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

BobR

• friend
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2019, 09:27:06 PM »
We aren't expecting any snow but they are talking 50-60 mph winds overnight and into tomorrow.

bob

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2019, 09:33:31 PM »
We're getting some serious wind here in NE Oklahoma. No freezing *expletive deleted*it predicted though.

And, DAMMIT!! I want my global warming!! I've done my part, I want the warming! NOW!!1!!
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2019, 09:44:57 PM »
They just dropped the wind warning here. They originally said 30-40mph but are back down to ~15-25mph tonight through tomorrow. Doing about 20mph right now. Snow tonight, snow/rain mix tomorrow. It was supposed to get down to zero on Friday morning, but they raised that to 10 now. T-shirt weather!  :laugh:

I actually don't mind the below freezing, but I can do without the wind.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2019, 09:54:04 PM »
Cleaned 2" of snow off the car last night just after the snow started to go get some critical provender (coffee).  Car covered with 10" + this morning.  More coming soon. Looks like I'll be housebound until Saturday or so.  Tentatively canceled t-bird dinner with Son2 for Friday.

Sure feel sorry about all those folks sleeping on the floors at Denver International.

This is the third T-day in my recent memory where airports were closed or lotsa flights cancled.  I did hear a plane about an hour ago, though.

I move we move T-day to the second Thursday in September.

Terry
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2019, 07:17:24 AM »
Meanwhile in NH, it will be 47 today.  Yesterday's high was 55.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2019, 08:16:53 AM »
Meanwhile in NH, it will be 47 today.  Yesterday's high was 55.

You'll get yours.  :mad:   :laugh:

It's still pitch black outside because I live at the stinkin' West edge of a time zone and the sun doesn't rise till after 0800, but it's looking pretty white. This is the first real snowstorm since I've been here. I haven't been outside yet, but it appears that if these are the prevailing winds for snowstorms, when I walk out to the front of the garage, I'm going to find a significant snowdrift against the garage doors.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2019, 12:56:18 PM »
I've never heard my house make the noises it made this morning.

I wouldn't mind the wind so much if it would just blow the leaves out of my yard.  :facepalm:
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2019, 01:23:41 PM »
Strangely, though the Southeast wind was blowing almost directly against my garage doors, there was no snow within 5 feet of them, and in fact there were dry spots. Can't figure that one out, as I had to shovel the North facing patio and North facing concrete pad in front of the shop.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2019, 01:32:06 PM »
Strangely, though the Southeast wind was blowing almost directly against my garage doors, there was no snow within 5 feet of them, and in fact there were dry spots. Can't figure that one out, as I had to shovel the North facing patio and North facing concrete pad in front of the shop.

snow drifts on the leeward side of the wind

Uranus is a gas giant.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2019, 01:35:25 PM »
snow drifts on the leeward side of the wind

I'll be learning a lot about living in the snow over the next couple of months. At least I haven't slipped on ice and cracked my head open yet.  =D

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2019, 01:36:12 PM »
I'll be learning a lot about living in the snow over the next couple of months. At least I haven't slipped on ice and cracked my head open yet.  =D

Don't eat yellow snow.

Uranus is a gas giant.

BobR

• friend
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2019, 01:47:42 PM »

Ice dams on the roof. Learn how to layer clothing. The best time to go for a stroll is right after the sun comes up on freshly fallen snow and it is still quiet outside.

bob

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2019, 01:56:21 PM »
Ice dams on the roof. Learn how to layer clothing. The best time to go for a stroll is right after the sun comes up on freshly fallen snow and it is still quiet outside.

bob

That's what me and the dog did this morning. :)

Yes, layering and I've become a fan of long underwear again. I do worry about detecting ice dams.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2019, 01:56:47 PM »

Idaho wind, right?

Transonic bow wave gap.

Idaho wind. Transonic.

Ayup.

Terry

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2019, 01:57:45 PM »

Shovel early and often.  Especially for wet snow.  Don't let it refreeze over night.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2019, 06:40:32 PM »
They were predicting up to 10 or 12 inches of snow here.  We got about 3 or 4.  But the snow is so heavy, I think they might have been right about the amount of water.  I shoveled with an old grain scoop; it was too heavy to use a snow shovel (would have probably broken the handle)
"It's good, though..."

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2019, 06:41:51 PM »
They were predicting up to 10 or 12 inches of snow here.  We got about 3 or 4.  But the snow is so heavy, I think they might have been right about the amount of water.  I shoveled with an old grain scoop; it was too heavy to use a snow shovel (would have probably broken the handle)

We got 5" of slush, my 2 stage snow blower kept getting plugged up.

Uranus is a gas giant.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2019, 12:34:17 AM »
I've never heard my house make the noises it made this morning.

I wouldn't mind the wind so much if it would just blow the leaves out of my yard.  :facepalm:

It did actually pile the leaves around my front porch, which saved me quite a bit of raking.

No snow down here, and no tornado, either (so far as I know).
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2019, 12:14:04 PM »
My Subaru Thanksgiving morning.  Hopefully the sun will make most of the snow slide off by this afternoon.  I normally park facing the other way (south) but backing in this time would have been difficult since the parking space markers were already covered with snow.

The snowplow always leaves a big mound behind it since it's the last parking space in the lot, but I can usually power through that with the Subie's 4WD.  Can't complain since I chose that spot so I could keep an eye on the car from my balcony.  Most of the year it's great.

Terry

grampster

• friend
« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2019, 01:34:28 PM »
My front yard is nearly 200' wide.  I have no trees with leaves in the front.  Neighbors across the street have trees with leaves as do others either side of me, and across the street, but at least 2 houses away on each side and across the street.  I will give you two guesses one guess who's front yard is full of leaves after a very windy day yesterday. 
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2019, 07:05:44 PM »
So you're the designated leafer?

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2019, 04:42:51 AM »
Around sunset I steeled myself for the 28° weather and went out to clear off enough snow for the sun to get inside the car and soften the remaining snow.

The "Mohawk" style pile of snow on top of the car is because of the luggage rack, which I hate.  I've never used it, and it holds the snow up there until it's ready to slide down onto the windshield and does so at the most inopportune moment.  I'm ready for that, though.

Damn luggage rack.

The thing sticking out of the snow on top of the car is a broom handle.

It was getting a little dark for the photo.

Terry