Author Topic: Oh hell, lets get the stupid bowl over with, shall we?  (Read 2847 times)

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
Oh hell, lets get the stupid bowl over with, shall we?
« on: February 07, 2016, 06:39:28 PM »
Lady Gaga - usual rant.  Folks need to be dope-slapped to get their hats off.

In other words, just what I expected.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

dogmush

• friend
Re: Oh hell, lets get the stupid bowl over with, shall we?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2016, 06:43:15 PM »
Lady Gaga did the Anthem?

Holy cow, that has some Cluster potential. Don't currently have tv service, and not streaming.  When do you suppose the commercials will hit YouTube?

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2016, 06:48:53 PM »
When do you suppose the commercials will hit YouTube?

I could give a fig about the suiper bowl itself. However I read that apparently over the last couple of years, someone has been paying for a 30 second spot for small businesses, which they can get by winning a contest. This year Death Wish Coffee won. Pretty cool for them, but I drink their coffee on occasion and now expect the bags to get smaller and the price to go up.  :laugh:
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2016, 06:56:16 PM »
Lady Gaga did the Anthem?

Holy cow, that has some Cluster potential. Don't currently have tv service, and not streaming.  When do you suppose the commercials will hit YouTube?

Yes it does.  Also has potential if she played it straight and respectful.  (I don't care for her, but she's got good pipes)

ETA: it's on youtube already.  A little too fancy and stylized, but not terrible.  The crowd is what was awful.  How hard is it to take your hat off and stand at attention and keep your mouth shut for 90 seconds?
"It's good, though..."

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2016, 07:01:35 PM »
Yes it does.  Also has potential if she played it straight and respectful.  (I don't care for her, but she's got good pipes)

ETA: it's on youtube already.  A little too fancy and stylized, but not terrible.  The crowd is what was awful.  How hard is it to take your hat off and stand at attention and keep your mouth shut for 90 seconds?

That's what I was thinking. She did all that stuff with whatshisface and it wasn't bad. When she's not acting like a freak, she actually isn't half bad.

Someone just tell me when the Budwiser commercial hits YouTube. That's all I want to see.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2016, 07:16:36 PM »
That's what I was thinking. She did all that stuff with whatshisface and it wasn't bad. When she's not acting like a freak, she actually isn't half bad.

Someone just tell me when the Budwiser commercial hits YouTube. That's all I want to see.

Tony Bennett?
"It's good, though..."

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2016, 07:26:31 PM »
Tony Bennett?

Yeah, that whatshisface
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2016, 07:56:23 PM »
I thought Lady Gaga's performance was pretty good, but apparently almost no one knows the proper etiquette for the Anthem any more.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2016, 08:03:33 PM »
I thought Lady Gaga's performance was pretty good, but apparently almost no one knows the proper etiquette for the Anthem any more.

I think I was a kid the last time I saw a a majority of a general crowd show proper etiquette. Since then, the only time I've seen it is at the dozen or so Change of Command ceremonies I attended over my career. That crowd of course, had the etiquette down. Though there were always some invitees from NGOs or what have you that were rude, but they were a distinct minority.

On Lady Gaga, she's crazy, but she has a very good voice. I also saw a photo of her from before her Lady Gaga days. She had a very nice and pretty "girl next door" appearance.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2016, 08:23:13 PM »
^^^I always stand at attention with my left hand along my left outer pant seam and my right hand over my heart, or if I am wearing a hat, remove the hat and hold it over my heart.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2016, 08:33:36 PM »
I have attended events where an announcement was made telling people to remove their hats and either remain silent or sing along.  Strangely, most of those have been "pops" concerts in the park

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2016, 08:36:00 PM »

The hoi polloi are showing our country the respect it deserves.

The Republic is gone and the echoes and fond memories of greatness are no longer felt by the masses.   

We're in transition heading into the end stages of our failed empire.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2016, 08:37:01 PM »
Also has potential if she played it straight and respectful.

Well, I guess to her it was respectful, but far too stylized for my taste. Especially right at the end.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2016, 08:43:44 PM »
OK, what have you all done with my APS and when can I expect to get it back?

Looks like I'm going to have to start sharing my "They butchered the National Anthem" curmudgeon title.

stay safe.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2016, 08:55:55 PM »
Well, I guess to her it was respectful, but far too stylized for my taste. Especially right at the end.

It is a poem that is sung.  It is always stylized.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2016, 08:56:59 PM »
Let's discuss the halftime show.

It could have been good, but the audio on the lead singers was messed up the entire time.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
  • A more Elegant Monkey for a more civilized Forum.
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2016, 09:00:14 PM »
Let's discuss the halftime show.

It could have been good, but the audio on the lead singers was messed up the entire time.

you mean the rainbow, gay friendly, half time show.   :old:
“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.”

Abraham Lincoln

With the first link the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.

Bob F.

• friend
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2016, 09:18:32 PM »
One thing ya' gotta say for NASCAR. There will be and invocation and the National Anthem. You will stand and take off your hat or someone will do it for you (unless you're passed out drunk).
"I always have my primary weapon, it's right between my ears."

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2016, 09:19:09 PM »
I've actually watched more the the Puppy Bowl than the Super Bowl -- the Puppy Bowl is more entertaining.  (we won't talk about how much I've had to drink)
"It's good, though..."

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2016, 09:39:49 PM »
Sometimes I'm at a dog show early enough that we get "caught" by the anthem. It's really annoying because you want to be respectful, but there really isn't a point where everyone is gathered and there is an opening ceremony or something. Everyone is all spread out, racing dogs to all the different rings and getting set up. So it kind of becomes this awkward moment were everyone sort of half freezes when they hear the loudspeaker go off and tries to figure out where the flag is so you can face in that direction.

I tend to go with the crowd. If they are doing it right, I'll do it. If they aren't paying attention, then I don't much bother anyway. I figure it's better than trying to lead through example and getting run over by some handler's assistant rushing to ringside and being annoyed because people are rude.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2016, 09:58:57 PM »
Quote from: MillCreek
^^^I always stand at attention with my left hand along my left outer pant seam and my right hand over my heart, or if I am wearing a hat, remove the hat and hold it over my heart.

THIS! Now it is acceptable for ex-military not in uniform to salute and I am fine with that. I still freeze, look for the flag and automatically salute when I hear it all these years later...

OK, what have you all done with my APS and when can I expect to get it back?

Looks like I'm going to have to start sharing my "They butchered the National Anthem" curmudgeon title.

stay safe.

I'm SO there bud! Sing it with tradition and respect. This isn't a jazz club audition dag-nabit!  :old:
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2016, 10:03:49 PM »
Gaga is a good singer and did a good job. I've heard a lot worse. As for etiquette, the America I see most of still has it. We don't say start your engines because the cars are push started. At 22 years in the military I of course salute in uniform, out of uniform I stand at attention. Really just patiently waiting for soeone to tell me i gotta put my hand over my heart.  >:D It's America, irreverence for authority is what we do.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2016, 10:40:36 PM »
I've heard a lot worse.

So have I. Rosanne Barr at the San Diego Padres game.

As far as Gaga, she really is a good singer, she just goes around the bends every now and then. At least she kept a lot less stylized than some who have attempted to sing it have done.

bob

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2016, 11:07:35 PM »
Gaga is a good singer and did a good job. I've heard a lot worse. As for etiquette, the America I see most of still has it. We don't say start your engines because the cars are push started. At 22 years in the military I of course salute in uniform, out of uniform I stand at attention. Really just patiently waiting for soeone to tell me i gotta put my hand over my heart.  >:D It's America, irreverence for authority is what we do.
Maybe I wasn't paying attention, but I had always thought the crossing of the heart was only for the pledge of allegiance, not the anthem.  I guess no one does the pledge anymore.  I do agree about standing at attention and facing the flag.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2016, 11:38:07 PM »
It is a poem that is sung.  It is always stylized.

Not so. There is an official score, and it does should not allow for improvisation.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design