Author Topic: Oh hell, lets get the stupid bowl over with, shall we?  (Read 2846 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re: Oh hell, lets get the stupid bowl over with, shall we?
« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2016, 11:44:56 PM »
Gaga is a good singer and did a good job. I've heard a lot worse. As for etiquette, the America I see most of still has it. We don't say start your engines because the cars are push started. At 22 years in the military I of course salute in uniform, out of uniform I stand at attention. Really just patiently waiting for soeone to tell me i gotta put my hand over my heart.  >:D It's America, irreverence for authority is what we do.

As a veteran, you are now authorized to face the flag and salute during the playing of the anthem, same as if you were in uniform. However, it's optional if you're not in uniform -- you can still do the hand over the heart.

http://www.usflag.org/flagetiquette.html

The Salute

To salute, all persons come to attention. Those in uniform give the appropriate formal salute. Citizens not in uniform salute by placing their right hand over the heart and men with head cover should remove it and hold it to left shoulder, hand over the heart. Members of organizations in formation salute upon command of the person in charge.

The Pledge of Allegiance and National Anthem

The pledge of allegiance should be rendered by standing at attention, facing the flag, and saluting.
When the national anthem is played or sung, citizens should stand at attention and salute at the first note and hold the salute through the last note. The salute is directed to the flag, if displayed, otherwise to the music.

This reference must date to before the law was changed to authorize veterans to render a proper military salute even if out of uniform.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2016, 07:12:35 AM »
I guess no one does the pledge anymore.

Ft. Worth Stock Show Rodeo does the Pledge before every show.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2016, 07:21:40 AM »
Maybe I wasn't paying attention, but I had always thought the crossing of the heart was only for the pledge of allegiance, not the anthem.  I guess no one does the pledge anymore.. I do agree about standing at attention and facing the flag.

They do the pledge of allegiance before our school board meetings.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2016, 07:29:06 AM »
You all just hate 'muricah...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2016, 09:52:19 AM »
They do the pledge of allegiance before our school board meetings.
The gun club I belong to does it before every meeting. 

I guess I am old enough I recall doing it at school when I was really young. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2016, 11:20:19 AM »
^^^I always stand at attention with my left hand along my left outer pant seam and my right hand over my heart, or if I am wearing a hat, remove the hat and hold it over my heart.

Depends on the hat for me; with a brim over about 4", I tend to take it off with my left hand, which then goes to roughly where it would be for parade rest, while my right hand is over my heart, empty.  Smaller hats, I hold over the heart with my right hand.

Just looks and feels odd to have a very large hat held in front like that.  More like hiding behind it than showing respect with it.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #31 on: February 08, 2016, 11:24:02 AM »
Ft. Worth Stock Show Rodeo does the Pledge before every show.

What's the compliance level on hats there?  I've noticed rodeos, tractor pulls and dirt track races around here, every cowboy hat and fedora within hearing distance is off as soon as the anthem is recognized, ball caps are more like 80-90% compliance.  I have seen more than one ball cap smacked off, too.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #32 on: February 08, 2016, 12:17:20 PM »
What's the compliance level on hats there?  I've noticed rodeos, tractor pulls and dirt track races around here, every cowboy hat and fedora within hearing distance is off as soon as the anthem is recognized, ball caps are more like 80-90% compliance.  I have seen more than one ball cap smacked off, too.

100% from what I saw. Even the people on horseback, who had to control the horse.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #33 on: February 08, 2016, 02:27:30 PM »
I'm impressed at the observance at the rodeo. I know that the folk on the reining horses tend to tape their hats on.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

JN01

• friend
« Reply #34 on: February 08, 2016, 03:52:34 PM »
When I saw the title, I thought it would be about the Republican debate.