Author Topic: Can a parent pull their kid out of college if the semester is already paid for?  (Read 847 times)

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
http://nypost.com/2016/02/11/the-fight-for-tolerance-at-rutgers-hits-a-new-low/

To disrupt a guest’s speech, a dozen kids smeared themselves in fake blood — splattering other students and much of the room in the process — while shouting “black lives matter” and other deep slogans before storming out.

Several dozen more protesters remained, to keep up the harassment (“This man represents hatred”) throughout.

The school paper, The Daily Targum, chatted with a lead protester. “Freedom of speech is a responsibility,” junior Nyuma Waggeh explained. “You should use your privilege to be responsible for one another.”

That’s it: Shows how precious the “privilege” is by shouting down another group’s invited guest and making a big mess for someone else to clean up.

Rutgers, Waggeh also claimed, “should not be inviting anyone like [Yiannopoulos] because what we stand for is inclusion and diversity. If a speaker makes someone feel unsafe or uncomfortable, then they should not come to campus.”

If I found out my kid had participated in something like that my first inclination would be to physically yank their sorry ass out of that college.  My second inclination would be explaining that since they are over 18 they can go look for a job and support themselves.  And BTW the locks on the doors and cars at the family home have been changed.

How close to kidnapping would I have come?

What if I'm paying tuition, or housing, or meal plan on an installment basis  Can I just tell the college to go push a rope when the next bill comes due and get away with it?

Can you disown a child and make it stick legally?

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Hawkmoon

• friend
What if I'm paying tuition, or housing, or meal plan on an installment basis  Can I just tell the college to go push a rope when the next bill comes due and get away with it?

Did you sign a contract? If so, what are the contractual consequences of a default?

Can you disown a child and make it stick legally?

Unless your state has some unusual laws, a person over 18 years of age is not a "child." He or she is an adult. Yes, you can disown an adult who is your former child. You write a will in which you leave nothing to said former child, and state specifically that the omission of said former child is intentional.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2016, 05:23:28 PM by Hawkmoon »
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

freakazoid

• friend
what we stand for is inclusion and diversity. If a speaker makes someone feel unsafe or uncomfortable, then they should not come to campus.”

:facepalm:
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
Saying nothing about the behavior of the young adults, just assessing the question.

1.  As has been noted, they're adults, not kids.  So you can't pull them out if they want to stay.
2.  If it has passed the point of refund, then there's no question - you basically gave a gift to your children. 
3.  I can't be 100% sure, but it's very likely that any contribution by the parents to the tuition would be considered a 'gift', and you can't force the young adult to give it back.

However, you can cease contributing more money.

That's assuming there wasn't some sort of contractual pre-nup equivalent.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
Ah Rutgers, always making my home town proud.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

MechAg94

• friend
Generally, if you are not too far into the semester and/or grades are passing, you can drop classes and not have it count against the student.  Lots of students do this if they think they will get a bad grade in a class.  You may or may not get a refund.  I think when I was in college, there was point 1/3 to 1/2 of the semester where you could drop classes regardless of grades.  After that point, if you were failing, it could still count against GPA.  

I have no idea if a parent could do this without the student's involvement. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
If my kid participates in that they'll suddenly find their cash flow reduced to zero on the incoming side of the ledger.
Formerly sumpnz