Author Topic: Sport hunting should be illegal  (Read 8955 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Sport hunting should be illegal
« on: March 26, 2008, 04:51:14 AM »
Barking moonbat letter from the Hattiesburg, Mississippi, newspaper...

"A recent article on turkey hunting, described the sport as "addictive" and "fun."

While we agree that spending time among wildlife and nature can be pleasurable, one does not have to include the violence of hunting for it to be a satisfying experience.

Indeed, the article also quoted turkey hunters saying that "I have called in birds and never squeezed the trigger.

The experience of calling them in was quite enough for me," and "the quest is what really counts."

For these hunters, it can be as beneficial to them as well as to the turkey if they took their next shots with a camera.

Hunting makes an unnecessary contribution to a world already plagued by too much violence and suffering.Wildlife and the outdoors can and should be experienced through activities such as camping, hiking and wildlife watching; ways to get close to nature without having to cause suffering and death.

Joe Miele

President

Committee to Abolish Sport Hunting

Maywood, N.J"

EVERYONE IN THE DRUM CIRCLE FOR SOME SWAYING... NOW!
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Manedwolf

• friend
Re: Sport hunting should be illegal
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2008, 05:00:15 AM »
Camping and hiking.

Hm.

So if I run across one of these people who has been bitten by a snake, I'm sure they'd ask me to not shoot the snake to take along on the medevac for a quick identification of the correct antivenom, because it'd be causing suffering and death?  rolleyes

xavier fremboe

• friends
  • All-American Meanie
    • The Shop
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2008, 05:07:19 AM »
If we weren't meant to eat animals, they wouldn't be made out of tasty tasty meat...
If the bandersnatch seems even mildly frumious, best to shun it.  Really. http://www.cctplastics.com

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2008, 05:19:47 AM »
three words to the moonbats..

Pittman Robertson Act

Hunters (and non hunting gun owners) indirectly give a lot of money to protect the great outdoors.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2008, 05:21:24 AM »
But if all you did was take pictures, they would soon learn you weren't a threat and it wouldn't be hunting anymore. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2008, 05:23:15 AM »
three words to the moonbats..

Pittman Robertson Act

Hunters (and non hunting gun owners) indirectly give a lot of money to protect the great outdoors.

Yes, they do. They also protect wild areas more directly with a lot of donation and effective activism. You can't hunt in a parking lot, or a zero-lotline sprawl development.

The greenies can't process that, though. Cognitive dissonance.

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2008, 05:28:31 AM »
Because road-killed animals and deer-collision fatalities are that kinder, gentler kind of violence.   rolleyes

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2008, 05:29:50 AM »
I don't hunt for sport - I hunt for meat  laugh
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2008, 07:07:51 AM »
Why is some idiot from New Jersey writing a letter to a Mississippi newspaper?

The acronym for the organization is CASH, by the way.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2008, 07:41:51 AM »
On the topic of hunting and meat eating in general, one time the topic came up when I was speaking with an older, very sharp professor of biology.  She said; "Look at our teeth - it's obvious that humans were designed to eat both meat and plants, not just plants."

That's always made me think.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2008, 07:53:22 AM »
There's a proper place for wild turkey, deer, and other animals that are hunted . . . and that's right next to the mashed potatoes on my plate.

(Did you know that vegetarian comes from an old Indian expression meaning "bad hunter?")
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2008, 08:16:56 AM »
But we've evolved, Nick...

WE'VE EVOLVED!

CAN'T YOU SEE WE'VE EVOLVED?
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2008, 08:18:57 AM »
tofo turkey anyone?

my dogs say dead ewwy things are good. i agree with them. they tend to be smarter then most humans.  grin
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2008, 12:57:38 PM »
On the topic of hunting and meat eating in general, one time the topic came up when I was speaking with an older, very sharp professor of biology.  She said; "Look at our teeth - it's obvious that humans were designed to eat both meat and plants, not just plants."

That's always made me think.

Yes, and our eyes are set binocular so we can bore in and range our prey, not on the sides of our head so we can see our attacker sneaking up.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2008, 01:21:45 PM »
that's right, just make your checks out to "committee to abolish sport hunting", or CASH for short....... i used to make jokes about using cash as an acronym . sounds like a scammer to me.
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2008, 01:31:32 PM »
When I hear 'sport' hunting, I tend to associate it with hunting for other than meat - IE trophies.

You go deer hunting with a primary intent of getting venison, it's not 'sport' hunting.  You go looking for a 14+ point rack, it's for sport.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2008, 01:38:04 PM »
When I hear 'sport' hunting, I tend to associate it with hunting for other than meat - IE trophies.

You go deer hunting with a primary intent of getting venison, it's not 'sport' hunting.  You go looking for a 14+ point rack, it's for sport.

i doubt the anti hunting faction gets that distinction.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2008, 02:06:34 PM »
'Sport hunting' for them would seem to be shooting deer when you don't (absolutely) need to. I doubt that hunters on this forum would all starve to death and die if they didn't hunt. They see 'generally not needed to survive' as 'sport.' I suppose prostitution could be considered a sport from that point of view.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2008, 03:11:56 PM »
Ok, Firethorn, I'll play along.

What if the deer in my freezer had a 14-point rack, and I shot it vs. the 8-pointer next to him?   rolleyes
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Dannyboy

• friend
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2008, 05:02:39 PM »
Ok, Firethorn, I'll play along.

What if the deer in my freezer had a 14-point rack, and I shot it vs. the 8-pointer next to him?   rolleyes

Then the rack is a bonus.  You shot it for food and got the nice rack in the deal.  He's talking about people that hunt for only the rack.  I have to agree with him.  If you aren't gonna eat it the you don't need to be shootin it.
Oh, Lord, please let me be as sanctimonious and self-righteous as those around me, so that I may fit in.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2008, 01:41:46 AM »
If we could hunt barking liberal hippie moonbat treehuggers instead, we would leave the animals alone.....  grin
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2008, 02:01:34 AM »
Congratulations, folks!  You've earned your preaching to the choir badges!    cheesy
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2008, 02:29:20 AM »
Then the rack is a bonus.  You shot it for food and got the nice rack in the deal.  He's talking about people that hunt for only the rack.  I have to agree with him.  If you aren't gonna eat it then you don't need to be shootin it.

Agreed.  It's one of those tough to prove 'intent' things.  All things being equal, a 14 pointer is going to have more meat on average, isn't it?  Though personally, being a single guy, I'm perfectly happy with a doe.  All indications are that they're better eating anyways.

Well, there are other causes to hunt that wouldn't be for 'sport' as well, so I guess 'trophy' would be a bigger indicator of 'sport' hunting.  Of the top of my head:

1.  Disease elimination, I think that it would be reasonable to have a number of hunters who are TASKED with eliminating CWD and it's variants by killing* them quickly and humanely.  Heck, I'd count an obvious case of CWD as a reason to not tag, or show to a game warden to get the tag back(no you don't get the meat).
2.  Safety of people - tracking down and killing an animal that's attacked a human, or engages in behavior that shows a good indication that it's likely.
3.  Crop destruction
*After all, it's incurable,

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2008, 08:33:14 AM »
Congratulations, folks!  You've earned your preaching to the choir badges!

Badges ?!?!?!  We don't need no stickin' badges !!!   We got the guns !!!!!
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2008, 08:50:20 AM »
I'm all for wiping out deer, so that I don't have to worry about hitting one in my truck and messing it up. So get crackin' on killing them.

There are way, way, too many deer down this part of the way. I love hunters, and the only problem I have with trophy hunters is that they hunt the trophies and don't contribute to eliminating the rest of the deers. So they are slacking.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!