Author Topic: Sport hunting should be illegal  (Read 8956 times)

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
Re: Sport hunting should be illegal
« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2008, 09:07:05 AM »
I'm all for wiping out deer, so that I don't have to worry about hitting one in my truck and messing it up. So get crackin' on killing them.

There are way, way, too many deer down this part of the way. I love hunters, and the only problem I have with trophy hunters is that they hunt the trophies and don't contribute to eliminating the rest of the deers. So they are slacking.

which is why my dogs continue to bring home dead ewwy things, rather then eating the dead ewwy things that we provide (which arn't quite as ewwy).
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2008, 09:13:07 AM »
That same yahoo sent in a letter about a conflict over trapping in the state park outside Anchorage.  People let their dogs run off lead in areas posted for trapping and then are surprised when they get caught.

There is a compromise in place to move the traps further from the traveled way, but I have little sympathy for people who "love their dogs" so much that they let them run loose in the wild.

Where they can get lost, get eaten or injured or harass wildlife.  rolleyes

I didn't catch the acronym though.
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

richyoung

• friend
  • bring a big gun
« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2008, 10:09:28 AM »
When I hear 'sport' hunting, I tend to associate it with hunting for other than meat - IE trophies.

You go deer hunting with a primary intent of getting venison, it's not 'sport' hunting.  You go looking for a 14+ point rack, it's for sport.

Both are legal, both are moral, and why you go, just as long as its legal, is nobodies bidness.

I don;t see varmint hunters making prairie dog jerky or anyhting...
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't...

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2008, 10:36:27 AM »
Time to play "Let's Count the Tired, Old, Overused Sayings that Aren't Clever Anymore!"

If we weren't meant to eat animals, they wouldn't be made out of tasty tasty meat...
There's a proper place for wild turkey, deer, and other animals that are hunted... and that's right next to the mashed potatoes on my plate.
Did you know that vegetarian comes from an old Indian expression meaning "bad hunter?"
Badges?!?!?!  We don't need no stickin' badges!!!
Wow! Only up to four!
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

Bruce H

« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2008, 04:52:01 PM »
I would be all for hunting the President of the Committee to Abolish Sport Hunting. Should be a fun exercise. Trouble is people just like him have passed laws against it. Guess I'll just have to stick to deer, turkeys, quail, and catfish.
It is possible to always be wrong.

Lee

• friend
« Reply #30 on: March 27, 2008, 06:18:31 PM »
I would be all for hunting the President of the Committee to Abolish Sport Hunting. Should be a fun exercise. Trouble is people just like him have passed laws against it. Guess I'll just have to stick to deer, turkeys, quail, and catfish.

My thought exactly.  But it could be a challenge figuring out which under-employed guy typing on a laptop at Starbucks is him.

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #31 on: March 28, 2008, 06:18:53 AM »
Both are legal, both are moral, and why you go, just as long as its legal, is nobodies bidness.

I don;t see varmint hunters making prairie dog jerky or anyhting...

Did I say that I see anything immoral about it?  It's just what I associate 'sport hunting' with.  A sport hunter is the guy who goes out hunting Rhino, big cats and such in Africa.  A sport hunter goes out in the woods and will let the 6 point buck go because his goal this year is at least 14 points.  The hunter after meat will probably take the shot.

Either activity is perfectly moral.  For game management during a low population problem I'd probably want to have the sport hunter stop before I stop the hunter looking for meat.

Heck, I'd definitely find it moral to allow hunters to 'put down' sick animals - If the deer is obviously victim of CWD, take it out and the game warden will give you your tag back.  Heck, I might even support them paying a bounty.  (No, you don't get the meat, doubt you'd want it either).

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #32 on: March 28, 2008, 04:13:03 PM »
Shooting prairie dogs is not a sport - it's a public service  laugh
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin