Author Topic: Smoker who has 10 cigars a day celebrates his 100th birthday  (Read 8981 times)

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
...or, one of England's few living badasses.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/2305005/Smoker-who-has-10-cigars-a-day-celebrates-his-100th-birthday.html

Smoker who has 10 cigars a day celebrates his 100th birthday
By Rupert Neate
Last updated: 11:46 AM BST 17/07/2008
A smoker who has 10 cigars day and enjoys a whisky with his morning tea has celebrated his 100th birthday.

Jack Priestly claims he has suffered no serious health problems related to his tobacco and alcohol habit.

Mr Priestly, a widower and former baker, began smoking cigarettes when he was nine and claims to have smoked every day since.

He changed to cigars in 1966 after he said he was told they were "healthier" and celebrated his century last Saturday.

The grandfather from Pinchbeck, Lincolnshire, who also has six great-grandchildren, said: "I've been operated on from toe to head but I've still got a good set of lungs. There's nothing wrong with them.

"I love my cigars. I wouldn't be without them. I don't care about the brand - a cigar is a cigar. But I'm not a fan of the small ones. The bigger, the better.

"My doctor wasn't a fan of pipes. He advised me to smoke cigars instead. And who am I to ignore doctor's orders?"

Since his first puff in 1917 he has smoked 153,000 cigars and 715,400 cigarettes and drunk a shot of whisky in his morning cup of tea every day since the age of 24. He has not suffered any serious health problems related to smoking or drinking.

His mother-in-law got him hooked on whisky, which he drinks without fail as soon as he gets up, before he has even had breakfast.

"She said the best thing for a woman is for her to drink whisky before she does anything, every day," he said. "I don't feel my age. I've still the mind of a young man. But if I had the company of a good woman, I'm sure I'd feel 40 years younger in a flash."

LadySmith

• friends
  • Veni, Vidi, Jactavi Calceos
Re: Smoker who has 10 cigars a day celebrates his 100th birthday
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2008, 07:24:51 AM »
See what can happen when you simply don't listen to all the doomsayers who say things are bad for you?  laugh
Rogue AI searching for amusement and/or Ellie Mae imitator searching for critters.
"What doesn't kill me makes me stronger...and it also makes me a cat-lover" - The Viking
According to Ben, I'm an inconvenient anomaly (and proud of it!).

Dntsycnt

• friend
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2008, 07:56:12 AM »
Keep your eye on the msm for the new "Whiskey and Cigars" fad diet.

taurusowner

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2008, 08:03:27 AM »
I wonder what kind of cigars.  They should have included that in the article  rolleyes

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2008, 08:07:21 AM »
Keep your eye on the msm for the new "Whiskey and Cigars" fad diet.
That'll be the day...

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2008, 08:07:31 AM »
I wonder what kind of cigars.  They should have included that in the article  rolleyes

Quote from: Awesome old dude
"I love my cigars. I wouldn't be without them. I don't care about the brand - a cigar is a cigar. But I'm not a fan of the small ones. The bigger, the better.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2008, 08:32:58 AM »
"If I had quit cigars when my doctor told me to I wouldn't have been around to go to his funeral." -George Burns
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Ex-MA Hole

• friend
    • The Brown Bomber
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2008, 09:50:17 AM »
I read a study somewhere that Cigars under normal smoking conditions (one or two a day) do not have any significant health risks.

In order to have an increased chance of getting cancer/ other health related problems, you need to smoke somewhere in the neighborhood of 10 a day in order to have and significant increase in your chances of having health related issues.

This article aside, that is!

Mark
Cigar smoker.
One day at a time.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2008, 10:22:42 AM »
It is "increased chances" only.  There is no guarantee you will get it and no guarantee you won't. 

My grandfather was in his 80's when he died.  That was back in the early 90's.  He had been smoking since he was 10.  He was diagnosed with emphazema in 1955 and told he had 5 years to live.  He moved to Arizona, kept smoking, and lived quite a bit longer.  He never did trust doctors after that.  Of course, he had cancer and 2 or 3 other ailments when he finally died. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2008, 12:52:36 PM »
Cigars aren't as bad as cigarettes. And I'm way ahead of this guy. I figure I've smoked a bit over a million cigarettes in the last 41 years (will be giving up smoking in a few weeks, though).

The George Burns quote reminded me of a quip by Groucho Marx that got him kicked off TV.

He had a show (was it "Who Do You Trust?"), and was asking a contestant general introductory questions. He asked how many kids the guy had, and the guy said eight or some such, to which Groucho expressed surprise. The guy then said that he loved his wife.

Groucho said, "I love my cigar, too, but I take it out of my mouth once in awhile."

bada-bing

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2008, 01:53:39 PM »
I pass on the cigars, but the uisge bheatha every morning sounds like a good idea Wink
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2008, 02:22:59 PM »
I would rather end up dying of something, than be like all the health nuts who are in the hospitals kicking the bucket from too much good health.

I don't recall who said that, but I always thought they had a good point.

stay safe.

skidmark.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

stevelyn

• friend
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2008, 03:56:20 PM »
I read a study somewhere that Cigars under normal smoking conditions (one or two a day) do not have any significant health risks.

In order to have an increased chance of getting cancer/ other health related problems, you need to smoke somewhere in the neighborhood of 10 a day in order to have and significant increase in your chances of having health related issues.

This article aside, that is!

Mark
Cigar smoker.

You also have to remember that cigar makers don't do the things to their products that Big tobacco did to cigarettes.

Cigar tobaccos are basically aged and unaltered. Big Tobacco pumped chemicals and manipulated the genetics of tobaccos destined for cigarette manufacturing.
Be careful that the toes you step on now aren't connected to the ass you have to kiss later.

Eat Moose. Wear Wolf.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2008, 06:14:45 PM »

I know he said he didn't care about brand but that looks like a Cohiba he is burning down.

I'm working on a case of Monte Cristos, wish the Cuba ban would die so I could get more easily.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

zahc

• friend
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2008, 06:25:13 PM »
It blows my mind that we do quadrillions of dollars of trade of cheap widgets from communist China, but we can't buy cigars from Cuba? undecided
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2008, 04:44:58 AM »
I enjoy the occasional cigar, and have to admit to having a Cubano sitting in my humidor that a friend gave me.   That being said, I've heard that the Cuban cigar quality has gone down DRASTICALLY over the last 10 years or so.  Purely hearsay, mind you, but that's from the cigar shop I frequent.
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

Ex-MA Hole

• friend
    • The Brown Bomber
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2008, 04:48:13 AM »
It's because they are competition.
One day at a time.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2008, 06:07:33 AM »
Do a search on the web.  There a few places that sell cigars made from Cuban leaves that got out of Cuba before the embargo.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2008, 07:56:56 AM »
Do a search on the web.  There a few places that sell cigars made from Cuban leaves that got out of Cuba before the embargo.

Pinars.  Pre-embargo Cuban tobacco  They ain't bad.   

I smoked the real thing whenever I was deployed.   Half the fun is them being illegal state side.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2008, 09:05:53 AM »
Like Bill Clinton he didn't inhale.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2008, 11:43:28 AM »
There is plenty of money stashed and ready to go to Cuba to fix tobacco production.  Quality has deteriorated over the years but it can be fixed/  Many of the families run out of Cuba are waiting to return.  Fear not; Cuban cigars will return.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

LAK

• friend
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2008, 02:34:57 AM »
What can I say; the man has good taste.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2008, 06:18:29 AM »

I smoked the real thing whenever I was deployed.   Half the fun is them being illegal state side.

You want the truth of the matter, read the actual law.  It is actually illegal for Americans to even purchase Cubans when overseas.  A few months ago there was a big uproar in regards to Schrazenager(sp) buying a cuban while on a trip to Canada.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2008, 09:17:36 PM »

You want the truth of the matter, read the actual law.  It is actually illegal for Americans to even purchase Cubans when overseas.  A few months ago there was a big uproar in regards to Schrazenager(sp) buying a cuban while on a trip to Canada.

At the time we had access to crew served weaponry.  'Confiscating' cigars from heavily armed irrate soldiers is typically unhealthy  grin

"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2008, 09:19:59 PM »

At the time we had access to crew served weaponry.  'Confiscating' cigars from heavily armed irrate soldiers is typically unhealthy  grin

Not saying it would have been wise to try and doing something about it.  Just pointing out the law. laugh

I have been known to have a few on hand myself.