Author Topic: DC lighting/wiring for home use?  (Read 8950 times)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
DC lighting/wiring for home use?
« on: July 02, 2010, 04:04:30 PM »
I've had 4 or 5 power outages in the last 9 months, in my new house.

Last one was 2 nights ago, at about 9:30PM.  The whole neighborhood went down.  About a 1 mile radius around me.

I was in the kitchen, then suddenly, pitch-black.  No flashlight handy (stupid me) and all my handy-dandy SHTF survival warrior toys stashed away in various packs.  I stumble my way back to the bedroom in the black and find my flashlight, then spend 15+ minutes looking for my battery lantern since it wasn't where it was supposed to be.  Actually I didn't have a "supposed to be" place, for it to be.

No generator, no battery radio, my alternative lighting is pretty sad and consists of two mag lites operating in "candle" mode and a 4xAA battery lantern.

Steps taken so far to rectify my dumb-ness:
1 - A couple of cheapo $1 wallyworld flashlights stashed around the house in easy to find places, for when the light goes pitch black.
2 - Another battery lantern to augment the first one, and they are both now in a place that they are "supposed to be."
3 - Ordered 3 of these thingies:

http://www.amazon.com/Sylvania-Nightlight-Rechargeable-Flashlight-Failure/dp/B000KJZNBW/ref=pd_sim_hi_3
Basically, cheapo rechargeable flashlights that plug into a wall outlet.  They turn on automatically if they sense that AC power disappears.  Should stop the "stumbling in the dark" sensation immediately after a power outage.
4 - Got some keychain LED fobs.  I don't carry an EDC flashlight since I find them to be too bulky and very rarely need one.  But, I don't mind an extra key on my keyring.  That should be on me immediately if the power fails and it's pitch black out, even if I'm not at home or my little emergency lights don't work.

However... I've been threatening to solar-power my house for quite a while.  Not 100% off-grid, but a separate system parallel to the city power.  I'll never generate enough solar electricity to take care of AC, fridge, dishwasher, laundry, 42" TV, etc.

I want to start with nice looking DC lighting.  Something that I'll actually use, right away.

With DC lighting, rather than AC, I don't have to buy an inverter and lose efficiency.  I'm thinking I want 4 wall-mounted light fixtures in my master bedroom, and 4 more in my living room area to begin with.

Standard 60w AC incandescent bulbs put out about 15 lumens.

I tend to "get by" with about 15 lumens in my living room (one lamp on while watching TV) unless I'm reading, at which point I turn on the overhead lamp and I get up to about 50 lumens.

In my bedroom it's the same.  Typically just have a nightstand lamp on if I'm in the room, unless I have a particular need to turn on an overhead lamp, at about 50 lumens.

Where can I find lumen output ratings for DC electric lighting?  Where can I buy DC electric lighting for home use?  I'm guessing RV supply and repair places, but I just am not sure how to start.  I want them slaved to a switch in the wall just like a regular light fixture, even grouped together onto shared circuits so multiple lights are turned on by one switch.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

mtnbkr

• friend
Re: DC lighting/wiring for home use?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2010, 04:09:03 PM »
Look into resources for off the grid living.  Going straight DC rather than an inverter is popular.

Chris

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2010, 04:14:00 PM »
Standard 60w AC incandescent bulbs put out about 15 lumens.

Actually a regular 60w bulb puts out more like 800 lumens from what I've read (been researching various bulb sizes for some track lighting). It's about 14.5 lumens/watt, maybe that's what you're thinking of?

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2010, 04:31:04 PM »
Cool, thanks for setting me straight, Marnoot.

Anyone have any vendors they can recommend for fixtures, DC lights and such?
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2010, 04:51:20 PM »
It's not the lumens it's the lux. Lumens = total light output. Lux = intensity of light on any given spot.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2010, 04:53:40 PM »
Lux is a function of distance.

Lumens is not.
--Lysander Spooner

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2010, 04:59:17 PM »
Lux is a function of distance.

Lumens is not.

True, but inside a home that point is near moot. And in terms of usability...
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2010, 05:37:02 PM »
Check with your RV dealers.  They've got lots of 12V DC stuff, even 12V bulbs that screw into standard 110V lamp sockets.  Yes.  You can mix them up if you don't read the top of the bulb.  My camper of days of old had a fridge that would run on either 12V (not recommended unless engine was running,) 110VAC, or propane.

I, myself, can run on either 12VDC, 110VAC, or propane.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2010, 05:41:27 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2010, 05:44:09 PM »
My cabin is wired with DC though it is a bit ghetto.  We bring up a 12V deep cycle RV battery and connect it in with a couple of alligator clips.  This goes into a breaker panel and then out to various lights bought from an RV dealer.  The lights are a mix of fluorescent and incandescent.  I have no idea of the specific models or specs at this time.

My next mission after fixing the plumbing is to design and put in a small solar cell to trickle charge the battery so we can leave one up there all season.  Hauling that thing in and out each trip is a hassle!

Grandpa Shooter

• friend
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2010, 08:36:29 PM »
My cabin is wired with DC though it is a bit ghetto.  We bring up a 12V deep cycle RV battery and connect it in with a couple of alligator clips.  This goes into a breaker panel and then out to various lights bought from an RV dealer.  The lights are a mix of fluorescent and incandescent.  I have no idea of the specific models or specs at this time.

My next mission after fixing the plumbing is to design and put in a small solar cell to trickle charge the battery so we can leave one up there all season.  Hauling that thing in and out each trip is a hassle!

Harbor Freight has what you need.  We have it and it works well.  AzRed can get a small generator and set a whole system up based on batteries and inexpensive 12 v LED bulbs.  Gives specific spot lighting instead of lighting up a whole room needlessly.  We do it out on the off grid place we have.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2010, 08:42:18 PM »

Anyone else misread "lighting" and "lightning" and think "Well, lightning would have a number of home uses..."?

"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

RaspberrySurprise

• friend
  • Yub yub Commander
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2010, 09:11:39 PM »
LED's would probably be much more efficient and last much longer than incandescent lights.
Look, tiny text!

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2010, 12:49:29 AM »
Anyone else misread "lighting" and "lightning" and think "Well, lightning would have a number of home uses..."?

Yeah.  Fast charging a battery. (Nyuck-nyuck-nyuck!)

I'm constantly amazed at the light output of LEDs.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2010, 04:41:48 AM »
Steps taken so far to rectify my dumb-ness:
1 - A couple of cheapo $1 wallyworld flashlights stashed around the house in easy to find places, for when the light goes pitch black.
2 - Another battery lantern to augment the first one, and they are both now in a place that they are "supposed to be."

http://www.amazon.com/Sylvania-Nightlight-Rechargeable-Flashlight-Failure/dp/B000KJZNBW/ref=pd_sim_hi_3
Basically, cheapo rechargeable flashlights that plug into a wall outlet.  They turn on automatically if they sense that AC power disappears.  Should stop the "stumbling in the dark" sensation immediately after a power outage.
4 - Got some keychain LED fobs.  I don't carry an EDC flashlight since I find them to be too bulky and very rarely need one.  But, I don't mind an extra key on my keyring.  That should be on me immediately if the power fails and it's pitch black out, even if I'm not at home or my little emergency lights don't work.

Also, http://www.extremeglow.com/Merchant4/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=6GLG5&Category_Code=5MIN  I haven't tried the white ones yet, but the green and orange are easily enough to navigate by for the time it might take to find a flashlight or change a set of dead batteries.  I also carry some orange ones in each car as a good backup for flares in wildfire season.  The nice thing about the glowsticks is the shelf life; no batteries to run down, so they're ready until they're used.  A piece of PVC will help make sure they don't get activated until they're needed, too.  Even with all the flashlights around, I keep one taped to the inside front corner of a drawer in each bathroom and in the kitchen, where they can be found easily even in total darkness.  Lower-output 6 hour ones are stored in the storm cellar to provide enough light to keep people from getting nervous in the dark.

The LED sticks they sell, http://www.extremeglow.com/Merchant4/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=REUSABLE&Category_Code=LEDSTICKS  are also a good idea for emergency use.  The batteries can run down, of course, but it's also nice to be able to turn the light off when it's not needed.  At $1.20 each, they're cheap enough to use as disposable short-term trail markers, too.

Triphammer

• friend
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2010, 12:53:01 PM »
LEDs are definetly are the way to go. I found a site called
Dealextreme that has 12 volt bulbs for all sorts of automotive applications plus raw LEDs for DIY. Another site, http://ledcalc.com/ will give the resistor size to match voltage. I just finished some lighting for my small boat & I'm working on some U.V. lighting for night fishing. Good Luck.

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2010, 03:47:15 PM »
not really for emergencies but there were some companies doing some very cool things with fiber optic cables. it would work fine on a ups and look cool the rest of the time. i can't find a site on it now. :facepalm: but it was install something like this(execpt using dc[could use car headlights at 12 or 24volts is you have the current]), in a central location. and running fiber optic cables to where you wanted light where small fixtures were installed. they could be adjusted from flood to spot lights. [popcorn]

or you could just stick a flashlight in your pocket at dusk. i think coast has a neat little light that uses 4 button batteries for a claimed 60 minute run time(saw it in office depot and can't remember for sure). or there are the AAA lights(like this)

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2010, 04:58:13 PM »
I must admit that for an undisciplined, disorganized slob, I'm pretty good at stashing emergency stuff in the same places every time.  Otherwise, my motto is "A random place for everything, and everything in a random place." 

Hey, sanglant, could you use a smaller font?  That really takes up space on the page.  And the pic could use a little less contrast. :)

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2010, 12:36:15 AM »
lol, was just trying to keep from derailing the thread with random stuff. =) to put it simply, no one in there right mind would use the system i was on about for this. but it would still be really cool.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2010, 08:42:57 AM »
http://www.patentlyapple.com/patently-apple/2010/01/apple-reveals-smart-home-energy-management-dashboard-system.html

Every once in a while we're given powerful insights into systems that could be game changers - and while not apparently sexy at the moment, Apple surprises us with a peek at their coming Smart Home Energy Management Dashboard System that packs a punch. Apple's patent reviews technology related to this system that many simply know as HomePlug Powerline Networking.  HomePlug Powerline Networking turns every power outlet in your home or office into a conduit for audio, video and data. Wireless technologies could be prone to dead-spots and fading - but with HomePlug certified adapters you just plug them in and within minutes you have high speed internet coming out of every plug in the house. You could do the same thing for HDTV and iTunes. Get ready folks, because this looks like Apple is ramping this up for sometime in the near future. And, let it be said, could be yet another tablet application.
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2010, 12:14:14 PM »

RaspberrySurprise

• friend
  • Yub yub Commander
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2010, 02:05:22 PM »
There's something about combining 110v AC and networking cables that makes me cringe
Look, tiny text!

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2010, 09:06:14 PM »
There's something about combining 110v AC and networking cables that makes me cringe

Sneak previews of the Apple products:
For older networks

For AppleTalk users

Ethernet

Human interface device

RaspberrySurprise

• friend
  • Yub yub Commander
« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2010, 10:39:01 PM »
Mmm etherkillers.
Look, tiny text!

brimic

• friends
« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2010, 01:11:20 PM »

Sounds good.

We have a bunch of ~$10 hand crank LED flashlights around the house. If you have your own home, you can buy solar LED landscaping lights for about $3 ea, which you could just bring in the house if the lights go out- of course they probably won't be lit if its been storming for more than a day.

Right now I'm mainly worried about getting a backup powe source for my sump pump.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2010, 03:07:18 PM »
Right now I'm mainly worried about getting a backup powe source for my sump pump.

I just installed one of these Basement Watchdog units for a guy. It runs on battery if the power goes out or runs anytime if the other pump fails.

http://www.basementwatchdog.com/

jim
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG