Author Topic: Wash out of Military Enlistment, no guns for you.  (Read 9033 times)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Wash out of Military Enlistment, no guns for you.
« on: January 11, 2011, 08:12:19 PM »
From http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Gun

But, you know, if I could say something right now, that something is drastically wrong with what's going on in our United States right now. And when an individual is turned down to get into the military and then can be -- is able to go out and buy a .9-millimeter Glock pistol, and he had one of the -- or his clips were the extended clips that were limited to law enforcement only, and, you know, that -- or somebody has to put a stop to that.

* Bill Badger, U.S. Army Colonel (retired) who helped capture Jared Lee Loughner during the 2011 Tucson shooting — Wolf Blitzer. "Alleged Arizona Gunman in Court", The Situation Room, CNN, January 9, 2011. URL accessed on 2011-01-11.

Wash out of MEPS or other military enlistment programs, for anything other than PHYSICAL health reasons... it goes on your NICS file.

Doesn't affect flat feet or overweight folks, or anyone with sub-par vision.

What does APS think of it?
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
  • A more Elegant Monkey for a more civilized Forum.
Re: Wash out of Military Enlistment, no guns for you.
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2011, 08:15:24 PM »
The Col is an idiot.
“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.”

Abraham Lincoln

With the first link the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2011, 08:21:47 PM »
In short: no.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2011, 08:28:46 PM »

As has been discussed here many times, it's not smart to go on tv or radio, particularly not regarding a highly current and controversial subject, without substantial preparation and coaching.  Perhaps there was an assumption on his part that the guy had been clearly identified by MEPS as a danger to himself or others?  Perhaps that was the case?  I don't know, but he may have known or inferred more than he stated, a very, very common mistake in people who aren't experienced at presenting stuff via mass-media to a very broad audience.

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2011, 08:34:17 PM »
It's pointless to discuss it without knowing why he was denied an enlistment.  However, unless the denial involved abhorrent behavior that was actually witnessed by recruiters/processing station personnel, any sort of referral to law enforcement would be inappropriate.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2011, 08:37:02 PM »
The Col is an idiot.

That

and this

In short: no.

You guys used my answers already.

bob

Gowen

• Metal smith
  • friend
    • Gemoriah.com
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2011, 09:06:18 PM »
A Dr. prescribed drug my mother was taking while pregnant with me, caused me to be born without my right breast mussel and the chicken pox when I was 5 caused me to be deaf in my left ear.  So, that would make me unable to serve in the military.  This clown thinks that I should not be able to protect myself!!!  He's a moron.
"That's my hat, I'm the leader!" Napoleon the Bloodhound

Gemoriah.com

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2011, 09:20:28 PM »
I doubt that he's a moron... He just didn't completely flesh out the thought. I'm guessing that what he actually meant was "If the military thinks that you're too damn crazy to be an 11-Bang-Bang, society sure as hell shouldn't trust you with a boomstick."

Works for me.
Blog under construction

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2011, 09:21:05 PM »
Wash out of MEPS or other military enlistment programs, for anything other than PHYSICAL health reasons... it goes on your NICS file.

That might be a bit much, but I wouldn't object if they forwarded any information obtained that clearly identifies a disqualifying 4473 question 12 answer.  There is already a need for a correction/update process for NICS information, so implementation of such a process should be a precondition for storing any of the information that can change.

(12e. "Are you an unlawful user of, or addicted to, marijuana, or any depressant, stimulant, or narcotic drug, or any other controlled substance?" would have been the disqualifier in this case, assuming the reasons given for his rejection were accurate.  Given that addiction status can change without any documentable process, I'd say this disqualifier should be automatically time limited at around 5 years overall, or 9 consecutive months of clean screenings.)

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2011, 09:24:13 PM »
I doubt that he's a moron... He just didn't completely flesh out the thought. I'm guessing that what he actually meant was "If the military thinks that you're too damn crazy to be an 11-Bang-Bang, society sure as hell shouldn't trust you with a boomstick."

Um. Hell to the no.  Pretty sure taking any medication can be disqualifying.  You really thinking being SSRI-dependent should disqualify someone from exercising his 2A rights?

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2011, 09:28:50 PM »
The Laughner dude was a serious pothead.  That's what disqualified him from enlisting.

Say what you will about current drug and gun laws, had those laws actually been enforced, he wouldn't have been able to buy that Glock.

"Are you an unlawful user of, or addicted to, marijuana, depressants, stimulants, narcotics..."

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2011, 09:39:27 PM »
Um. Hell to the no.  Pretty sure taking any medication can be disqualifying.  You really thinking being SSRI-dependent should disqualify someone from exercising his 2A rights?

The word "addiction" on the 4473 is there for a reason.  Addiction and dependence are recognized as distinct conditions, hence the distinct lack of medical references to Plavix or insulin addicts, despite their withdrawal symptoms being somewhat more dramatic than, say, nicotine withdrawal.

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2011, 09:40:55 PM »
I'll say it again.

Too.

Damn.

Crazy.

Blog under construction

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2011, 09:43:06 PM »
I'll say it again.

Too.

Damn.

Crazy.

That would be 12f, and you only have to answer it once.   :P

dm1333

• friend
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2011, 09:43:13 PM »

Works for me.

This doesn't work for me.  There are plenty of reasons to not get accepted for enlistment.  There should only be a few reasons to not be able to buy a gun.  

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2011, 09:49:23 PM »
So... Does "too damn crazy to join the military" carry any weight?

And then there was one guy in my basic training company who had a very cool room temp IQ, and I honestly wouldn't mind if he got tagged for a no-NICS... And no, he didn't make it through basic... Not only dumb, but paranoid about it...

Blog under construction

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2011, 09:53:34 PM »
The word "addiction" on the 4473 is there for a reason.  Addiction and dependence are recognized as distinct conditions, hence the distinct lack of medical references to Plavix or insulin addicts, despite their withdrawal symptoms being somewhat more dramatic than, say, nicotine withdrawal.

Disqualifying from military service that is.  My understanding is that it's not an addiction issue at all, but an adaptability and durability issue.  Am I not correct on this?  It's been about seven years since I last seriously combed through enlistment information.

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2011, 09:56:04 PM »
I'll say it again.

Too.

Damn.

Crazy.

Being too crazy to join the military is a pretty low threshold of crazy, and apparently getting lower all the time. 

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
  • A more Elegant Monkey for a more civilized Forum.
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2011, 09:57:12 PM »

Any medication?  What about folks on insulin?  People on pain management meds.?  Or folks on welbutrion and such.  I wasn't aware being on some form of legally prescribed med would forfeit your 2A right.
“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.”

Abraham Lincoln

With the first link the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2011, 09:58:23 PM »
Being too crazy to join the military is a pretty low threshold of crazy, and apparently getting lower all the time. 

What about being crazy enough to join the military?  ;/

Asthma and a high lottery number kept me from going to VN.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2011, 10:02:54 PM »
It takes a pretty severe degree of "too damn crazy" to get told "Uh... Maybe you should consider work down at the nut factory..."

Blog under construction

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2011, 10:54:19 PM »

I think that's one retired colonel who would never have made general, and who seriously needs a course in remedial English.

What did he say, anyway? It certainly didn't make any sense.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2011, 11:04:46 PM »
The one guy who I knew who was washed out without effort on his part (the really dumb guy...) was REALLY dumb, and REALLY weird. The DIs talked to us, and basically said that they had no idea how he'd gotten past the recruiters, etc., and that someone was probably going to be in some serious trouble somewhere along the line.

And the people who washed out through their own effort... Well, it takes WORK to flunk out of the Army...

Blog under construction

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2011, 11:40:45 PM »
We had one clown in boot that "washed out", sort of. Actually they came in with 6 big MAAs and the CC put us on the line. The big guys walked up behind him and with out warning tackled him and placed him in some serious retraints. He was pretty much foaming at the mouth as they drug him out.
We'd been there about a week when this happened.
The story was that he had killed some poor slob, buried the body and stolen his ID and used it to enlist.

So yeah that guy probably shouldn't be able to own a gun.

As for other reasons for getting washed out, unless it is felony level or severe mental issues then we probably don't need another reason to deny people the right to self defense.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2011, 11:55:31 PM »
Bogie, I'm pretty sure MEPS level washouts were specifically mentioned.  It is incredibly easy to wash out at MEPS; they are working pretty hard to limit liability these days.