Author Topic: Broke TV, help?  (Read 8977 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Broke TV, help?
« on: February 17, 2014, 08:06:03 PM »
I haz JVC AV-27220. It shut down, and now will not turn on. A red light in front is blinking. So far, Google has only said that something is fried and died inside, and there's nothing I can do to repair it.

Can anyone Google up a better answer?

Somewhat saddened panda.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Re: Broke TV, help?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2014, 08:12:34 PM »
They're mostly disposable these days. Wal-Mart can hook you right up.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2014, 08:20:40 PM »
How do you feel about component level board repair?

Look around the area where the 120v mains comes into the power board for blown caps or open diodes.

Good luck, it's your fault.

jim
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2014, 08:21:36 PM »
Come on we all know the answer is det chord.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2014, 09:31:14 PM »
I would say it is time to upgrade to a LCD flat panel.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/VIZIO-E291i-A1-29-720p-60Hz-LED-SMART-HDTV/23746426
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2014, 10:08:01 PM »
I would say it is time to upgrade to a LCD flat panel.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/VIZIO-E291i-A1-29-720p-60Hz-LED-SMART-HDTV/23746426

I'll PM you my address.

The last two televisions were free. We will have to stick to that policy for the time being.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2014, 11:33:44 PM »
I've got a 34" RCA you could have, Works OK, other than bright red things in the picture bleed a bit in the scanning, but it weighs close to 100 lbs. Shipping from WI would be more than it's worth by several times.  :P

I'm already seeing the occasional flatscreen show up at Goodwill. Although usually suspect for some reason.

Check there anyway, the Goodwill store in a nice suburb will have lots of CRT TV's in the 30" range for $30 or so. You might be on the hook for a generic universal remote control for $19.
I promise not to duck.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2014, 11:47:50 PM »
We'll likely just get the other free telly out of storage and get a remote for it.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2014, 06:09:47 AM »
We'll likely just get the other free telly out of storage and get a remote for it.

So this was not really a problem.

Glad you cleared that up.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2014, 08:15:29 AM »

I'll PM you my address.

The last two televisions were free. We will have to stick to that policy for the time being.

You pay shipping and I'll got find a 150# CRT monster at goodwill for $10.

Uranus is a gas giant.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2014, 08:48:52 AM »
i have 2 crt tvs in PA that need to be recycled

my latest pick up is a 50 inch toshiba led flat screen with a pinched ribbon cable that is now working perfectly

i have had good luck in fixing issues with the flat screens and they are far less likely to shock you
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2014, 09:39:03 AM »
i have 2 crt tvs in PA that need to be recycled

my latest pick up is a 50 inch toshiba led flat screen with a pinched ribbon cable that is now working perfectly

i have had good luck in fixing issues with the flat screens and they are far less likely to shock you

Before SWMBO surprised me with a flat screen for Christmas, our tv was a 36" Sony flat tube TV. 

Did you know that in order to make a flat front tube, it takes a lot more glass than for a slightly curved tube?  Has to do with being strong enough to withstand the vacuum in the tube. 

That beast weighed in at 205 lbs.  And when I had to replace an IC on the main board, I was working uncomfortably close to both the big capacitors right next to the transformer *AND* the main lead coming off the tube.

I read stories about the fact that the tube is one ginormous capacitor.  And that there's enough capacitance there to pretty much send you flying across the room.

I let that TV sit unplugged for 2 days before I started working on it. 
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

BryanP

• friendly hermit
  • friend
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2014, 09:50:29 AM »
The last time I stopped by the Habitat for Humanity store in my area they had stacks of 36" tubes (similar to the one I paid $500+ for many years ago  :'( ) with remotes for $25 apiece.  I haven't looked lately, but for a while I was seeing them dirt cheap on Craigslist, and then I was seeing them listed as "free for the taking, but bring a friend to help you move it."
"Inaccurately attributed quotes are the bane of the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2014, 10:38:03 AM »
we were supposed to tuck our left hand in our back pocket while discharging the main capacitor in a mac+
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2014, 04:41:00 PM »
I've got a 32" jvc you can have if you come get it!
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2014, 05:55:26 PM »
You pay shipping and I'll got find a 150# CRT monster at goodwill for $10.

But you said I needed a flat-panel. ???

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2014, 06:18:24 PM »

But you said I needed a flat-panel. ???

I never said anything about you needing one. :)

Uranus is a gas giant.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2014, 08:12:37 PM »
American TV & Furniture is going out of business, killed by Amazon.  Big sale starting Thursday.

http://www.americantv.com/
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2014, 08:16:56 PM »
American TV & Furniture is going out of business, killed by Amazon.  Big sale starting Thursday.

http://www.americantv.com/

Its sad that old company is closing their doors. I remember their commercials on the TV and Radio growing up. Then when I moved into the Des Moines market I got to hear them again.

I wonder how many other small chain and local TV/appliance stores are going to be closing.

Uranus is a gas giant.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2014, 11:30:37 AM »
Unplug it from the wall for 24 hrs, try again.

I've got occasional problems with an ancient Portland CRT (not JVC) set especially in warm weather, and this works, so I'm not going to trash it yet.

Don't know why.  Don't care. The long powerless period seems to make it want to reboot from a "cold Monday morning power-up."  Maybe they maintain some kind of safety shutdown with a supercap or something, and the long power-down period drains the supercap.

Or something.

Who knows anymore what the hell they designed into those things.

Not very encouraging, but interesting in this situation:

http://www.ehow.com/about_5674230_problems-jvc-televisions.html

Also, when I googled (actually through info-dot-com; I hate Google) for "JVC AV-27220" I found a couple of possibilities for downloading service manuals for them.  Service manuals have somewhat more detailed troubleshooting sections than owner's manuals.  I did not look at any because most of the time search engine hits are just come-ons for other stuff. and I don't have time to winnow through them.

Terry
« Last Edit: February 19, 2014, 11:49:43 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2014, 11:43:15 AM »
Unplug it from the wall for 24 hrs, try again.

No TV for 24 hours!   :O

=D
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2014, 11:56:12 AM »
^  Yeah, GASP!

Another thing I've both found myself as well as read about is that a lot of older software-driven devices have maintenance batteries in them, similar to the maintainence "BIOS" batteries on older computers, and there were tricks to replace the batteries without actually cutting off the power to the BIOS chips.  Could be that.  (Had an ICOM transceiver where this was the case, and I suspect a Harmon-Kardon entertainment device I have has a similar problem.)

However, if you ain't familiar with high-voltage service safety procedures, don't go mucking around in CRT boxes except maybe to blow out the dust with compressed air, and that's about it.

The biz about Goodwill having tons of TVs and other things around is good advice.  My local Thriftery (not an actual Goodwill) has a bunch of TVs and stereos and monitors around.  They also have a box full of remote controls, so you have to root through the box to find the one that matches a set you're interested in.  

My main flat-screen LCD monitor died (fixable, but I ain't got the time), so I brought my laptop down there with some assorted cabling, selected an LCD monitor which looked OK, and plugged it into the laptop.  Worked fine.  With my senior discount, I brought it home for $16.00.**

I suppose you can use talcum powder in your hair and have wifey emphasize the lines in your face with makeup to simulate the Senior Effect.  I don't have a problem generating the Senior Effect myself, though.

Terry

** I've got a funny story about that.  The wallpaper on my laptop at the time had a sexy picture of Ann-Margret on it, not naughty, just "appealing," if you know what I mean.  

So there's my laptop sitting there next to  the monitor showing the Windows opening screen with the pic of Ann-Margret, and the same thing on the monitor screen next to it.  

So I'm about fifteen feet away talking to the guy who does "intake" of the stuff the Triftery takes in, discussing senior discounts and all that, and this middle-aged lady walks by the monitor and looks at it and my laptop screen and gets a real sourpussy look on her face.  

So she sees me and the Intake Guy and walks over and makes some "forceful" negative comments about the Thriftery putting up pictures like that to show off their products!

I had to 'splain to her what the situation was and apologize on behalf of the Thriftery, and mention that I was a customer and didn't realize that people would think that the Thriftery was showing off their stuff with that picture.

She didn't look too happy, but at least I got the Thriftery off the hook.

I just didn't realize how the situation looked, from a customer's point of view.  Dumb me.

« Last Edit: February 19, 2014, 12:53:00 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2014, 12:51:23 PM »
my that's a sour puss you have, you should go see the lemonparty.org

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/lemon-party

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2014, 08:52:23 PM »
Every year in December Robert's Scout Troop has their "Electronics Campout" *.  Generally the boys head over to the local Goodwill(s) and buy up a couple old CRT TV's for ~$10 each.  (Less if you go in uniform and make sad doe eyes).

The boys take the to the cabin we stay on one of the scout reservations, and the boys are allowed to play video games (nothing rated M or above) most of the weekend.  Yes, there still is a hike and some orienteering or weather related activities (sledding, snowball fights, etc.)

Were I in the market for a TV.  I'd go look there first.

*All electronics; Phone, Ipod, Walkmen, etc. are banned on campouts.  If the parents insist they take a phone, then Scoutmaster retains it.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2014, 09:15:00 PM »
I haz JVC AV-27220. It shut down, and now will not turn on. A red light in front is blinking. So far, Google has only said that something is fried and died inside, and there's nothing I can do to repair it.

Can anyone Google up a better answer?

Somewhat saddened panda.

Read a book.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.