Author Topic: 1A violation, 911 access violation, or appropriate response?  (Read 3788 times)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
1A violation, 911 access violation, or appropriate response?
« on: August 15, 2011, 01:49:46 AM »
http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D9P3FGQG0&show_article=1

SanFran's BART police shut down cell towers along the BART lines during the same times as a planned protest of a police shooting of a man.

Yeah, flash mobs are a recent problematic phenomenon.

Up until they come across the first armed citizen responder. [ar15]

Of course, those don't exist in San Fran. ;/

All in all, I still come down on the side of "people make CHOICES.  Don't take CHOICES away from people.  If people make bad choices, they can enjoy the consequences of those choices.  Those consequences can and will include someone putting a righteous whooping on you or adding lead to your body weight in 230gr increments.  But our government was never instituted to be a preventative-maintenance nannytopia, and I don't accept having my cell coverage taken away by Agents of the State for any reason whatsoever."

Aaron Caplan, a professor at Loyola Law School in Los Angeles who specializes in free-speech issues, was equally critical, saying BART clearly violated the rights of demonstrators and other passengers.

"We can arrest and prosecute people for the crimes they commit," he said. "You are not allowed to shut down people's cellphones and prevent them from speaking because you think they might commit a crime in the future."

Well said.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
Re: 1A violation, 911 access violation, or appropriate response?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2011, 01:52:50 AM »
You're going to see a lot more of this *expletive deleted*it (shutting down cell phone towers and in the future, stuff like internet) in the near future, I fear.

And they'll explain it away and justify it somehow...

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2011, 02:14:00 AM »
I agree that we are likely to see more of that sort of preemptive action from .gov.
How long till "they" try it at a TEA party gathering?
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2011, 02:22:19 AM »
great, some poor schmo gets a heart attack and you cant call for an ambulance?  :facepalm:
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2011, 02:25:48 AM »
I agree that we are likely to see more of that sort of preemptive action from .gov.
How long till "they" try it at a TEA party gathering?

Well, we are a year and a couple months away from the next election and as you can see, the politicians vying for the seat are really starting to campaign.

This means that the TEA party and similar rallies are going to be increasing in number and attracting increased attention soon. We've got several politicians and news media types really starting to refer to conservatives as terrorists, particuarly in the last couple of months (check out this poster of quotes below). So, I'd say, *expletive deleted*it is going to go down not too far into the future...

http://larrycorreia.wordpress.com/2011/08/05/the-new-tone/
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2011, 02:51:07 AM »
One month, we're criticizing Iran for pulling similar stuff (though they cut off internet as well) - now we're pulling it in our own country.

How the hell do transit cops of all people get the right to do that?

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2011, 02:56:08 AM »
After actually reading the linked article =D.
It looks to me as if BART simply shut down their own cell repeaters that they provide free of charge (ostensibly) to passengers.
Easy out for BART is to simply eliminate the service all together.
Or
Will I soon be able to sue a business that is inside a building that blocks cell service for violating my civil rights.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2011, 03:11:08 AM by RoadKingLarry »
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2011, 07:22:49 AM »

I really like that image. I am also tempted to put it in my signature, just for lulz.   :lol:
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2011, 08:38:54 AM »
After actually reading the linked article =D.
It looks to me as if BART simply shut down their own cell repeaters that they provide free of charge (ostensibly) to passengers.
Easy out for BART is to simply eliminate the service all together.
Or
Will I soon be able to sue a business that is inside a building that blocks cell service for violating my civil rights.

No, the taxpayers in thier area pay for those repeaters, which are in place for safety reasons.  Imagine being in a crowded underground station and you have a heart attack.  Nobody can get a signal to dial 911. 
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2011, 08:46:33 AM »
the taxpayers in thier area pay for those repeaters,

that would be unique
usually the cell companies foot the bill
http://askville.amazon.com/cellphone-work-BART-underground-San-Francisco-LA-Metro/AnswerViewer.do?requestId=58201239
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2011, 09:02:30 AM »
the taxpayers in thier area pay for those repeaters,

that would be unique
usually the cell companies foot the bill
http://askville.amazon.com/cellphone-work-BART-underground-San-Francisco-LA-Metro/AnswerViewer.do?requestId=58201239

Even still, if the cell phone companies are paying for them (in otherwords, the cellphone users are paying a surcharge), BART has no right to sacrifice safety and the ability to call 911.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2011, 01:44:59 PM »
not sure but i'll wager they can allow 911 to stay up while putting the kibosh on everything else. and may well have incorporated language allowing/mandating that to happen in their contract with the providers. not sure their is a constitutional right to cell/data service.  yet
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2011, 02:31:21 PM »
not sure but i'll wager they can allow 911 to stay up while putting the kibosh on everything else. and may well have incorporated language allowing/mandating that to happen in their contract with the providers. not sure their is a constitutional right to cell/data service.  yet

An interesting moral theory.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2011, 04:36:11 PM »
Isn't this the same BART police that executed somebody in a station a while back  ???
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2011, 06:01:20 PM »
Yeah, that's why they're so leery of folks with cell phones.