Author Topic: That's a lot of booger sugar  (Read 906 times)

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
That's a lot of booger sugar
« on: June 18, 2019, 06:15:46 PM »
I don't always trust their "street value" estimates but either way 33,000lbs a lot of blow

Massive haul of cocaine worth $1 billion seized at Philadelphia port
https://bnonews.com/index.php/2019/06/massive-haul-of-cocaine-worth-up-to-1-billion-seized-at-the-port-of-philadelphia/

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Re: That's a lot of booger sugar
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2019, 07:11:37 PM »
My guesstimate is that they catch less than 10% coming in.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2019, 08:59:03 PM »
I don't care about the product, I just want to find one of those washed up duffel bags. Preferably one without Javier Bardem following it.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2019, 10:14:53 PM »
My guesstimate is that they catch less than 10% coming in.

Pretty much, and at this point the drug barons mostly just write off the occasional bust like this.  It's factored into their operations.

Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of the "smaller" busts aren't just ways to keep the authorities distracted and happy, allowing more shipments like the one here to make it through.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2019, 07:12:02 AM »
Just a thought- that $1billion figure is only that high because of government actions. Without it being contraband, it might only be worth a few hundred thousand, tops.
It would be like if the government started confiscating and burning ‘67 corvettes, and when they confiscate the last one, agents pose for holy pictures in front of it stating that “they took it in a midnight raid from the last dangerous octegenarian holdout who was hiding this vehicle worth an estimated $100 million.”- right before lighting it on fire
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2019, 08:27:45 AM »
It would be like if the government started confiscating and burning ‘67 corvettes, and when they confiscate the last one, agents pose for holy pictures in front of it stating that “they took it in a midnight raid from the last dangerous octegenarian holdout who was hiding this vehicle worth an estimated $100 million.”- right before lighting it on fire

Do you want a shooting war? Because that's how you.... oh wait, you said Corvette. Never mind.

I thought it was the '67 Mustang. Carry on.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2019, 09:19:49 AM »
Just a thought- that $1billion figure is only that high because of government actions. Without it being contraband, it might only be worth a few hundred thousand, tops.
And they would know current prices since their informants probably sell a lot of it.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

fifth_column

• friend
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2019, 09:23:54 AM »
I wonder how much of that 33,000 (holy *expletive deleted*it that's a lot of blow) pounds is going to actually be destroyed and how much of it is going to end up on the streets anyway.
Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will... The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress. ― Frederick Douglass

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people.  -  Catherine Engelbrecht

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2019, 06:37:10 PM »
My favorite one on street value is the feds clipped a few alternative citizens here locally that had a few thousand lot plants in the national Forest. Estimated street value in the millions. Lot of estimating apparently since the plants were six inches tall.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Ned Hamford

• friend
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2019, 07:05:37 PM »
I recall a part of a movie where such a seizure was used as part of the smuggling operation.  Drum of baby powder or some such with a small layer of cocaine on top for testing; none the wiser for the swap. 
Improbus a nullo flectitur obsequio.