Author Topic: HBO's "The Pacific" - "Band of Brothers" follow up  (Read 4602 times)

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
Re: HBO's "The Pacific" - "Band of Brothers" follow up
« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2009, 05:59:11 PM »
I've met two Marines who were at Chosin.

Met a few myself.

When I was stationed at Yuma, one of our favorite watering holes was the VFW.  Firstly, you'd never pay for a drink, as the old breed always made sure you had plenty.  Second, the life stories those guys would tell....wow...just wow.  Did shots with a guy one night who'd been in WWII and Korea, and retired the year before vietnam :laugh:
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
Re: HBO's "The Pacific" - "Band of Brothers" follow up
« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2009, 06:22:03 PM »
Met a few myself.

When I was stationed at Yuma, one of our favorite watering holes was the VFW.  Firstly, you'd never pay for a drink, as the old breed always made sure you had plenty.  Second, the life stories those guys would tell....wow...just wow.  Did shots with a guy one night who'd been in WWII and Korea, and retired the year before vietnam :laugh:

Sounds like my Grandfather.  Marine in WWII and Korea as a radioman originally and a radar operator for a AAA Battalion later on.  Was in the inactive reserve, or whatever the Marines call that, after WWII and was called up for Korea.  He does not like to talk about it but from what I have gathered he was at pretty much all the major Marine actions of WWII in the Pacific after Guadalcanal.