Author Topic: LED Bulb??  (Read 2931 times)

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
LED Bulb??
« on: August 11, 2013, 10:25:23 PM »
I have a crap load of recessed lighting fixtures in my house.  Kitchen/family room/hallways/bedrooms/etc. must add up to 40-50.  I have a couple dozen incandecents, but want to try an LED in one fixrure to see how we like it.  They take BR30 bulbs.

What would my best value for that application?  Best if it can either be found at Home Depot  types of stores.  Or online.
Formerly sumpnz

Marnoot

• friend
Re: LED Bulb??
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2013, 10:35:03 PM »
I used these in the 26 recessed lights in my house:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/EcoSmart-6-in-9-5-Watt-65W-Soft-White-2700K-LED-Downlight-E-ECO-575L/202240932#.UghJIJKQKrk

Since they're technically retrofit kits for the fixtures instead of "just" bulbs, the power company offers a $20 rebate per fixture, making it $15/light after rebate. They're super easy to install, maybe 2 minutes/light at most after you've done a couple, and I couldn't be happier with the light they produce.

Be worth checking to see if your power utility offers any energy-efficiency rebates like that.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2013, 10:38:46 PM by Marnoot »

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2013, 10:59:13 PM »
Take a look at the units Marnoot suggested. They're made by Cree and sold under the EcoSmart brand. We've tested some and the results are impressive. They can be picky about dimmers, but most LEDs are.

Phillips also makes a drop-in can retrofit, but they aren't quite as physically robust. Performance-wise they are about the same as the Cree units.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2013, 12:08:44 AM »
Dad has a metel task lamp beside his bed. It gets knocked over by dogs fairly often, which has broken more then a few bulbs. But the real issue was Southwest knocked it down and it didn't break and landed with the bulb resting on Dads phone.
Melted touchscreens don't work so great.

So, me and Eric got a Zenaro 12 watt bulb in Cold White for that lamp.
I'm a convert. It's not hot to the touch and provides more light. Dad will switch it around to other fixtures when he needs better lighting. I'm planning on replaceing as many fixtures as possible as finaces allow, starting with the rest of his room, although I'm going to get the "warm" filter for the living room and my room.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2013, 12:17:51 PM »
Dad has a metel task lamp beside his bed. It gets knocked over by dogs fairly often, which has broken more then a few bulbs. But the real issue was Southwest knocked it down and it didn't break and landed with the bulb resting on Dads phone.
Melted touchscreens don't work so great.

So, me and Eric got a Zenaro 12 watt bulb in Cold White for that lamp.
I'm a convert. It's not hot to the touch and provides more light. Dad will switch it around to other fixtures when he needs better lighting. I'm planning on replaceing as many fixtures as possible as finaces allow, starting with the rest of his room, although I'm going to get the "warm" filter for the living room and my room.

Don't bother with filters.  Get a decent bulb with a 2700k color temp.  Both the Philips and the new Cree A19 units come in 2700k (as to some of the cheapo store brands, but we haven't had good luck with them either in durability or in actual color temp vs claimed).  The Philips is much more rugged, but looks a little strange when turned off.  The Cree has more of an old-fashioned light bulb appearance but is far more fragile due to the glass globe.  There's not diff between them in illumination quality, so choose according to your pocketbook and/or aesthetic.

Brad
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2013, 01:13:18 PM »
Yeah, I've been happy with the Cree A19 bulbs as well as the aforementioned can retrofits. Have a couple in a downstairs bedroom ceiling fixture. As it's a ceiling fixture I'm not worried about fragility so much as brightness and color temperature, both of which I'm happy with.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2013, 05:17:47 PM »
We picked up a four-pack of the EcoSmart 40 watt equivalent LED bulbs at Home Depot today.  $20 for the four pack.  Dirt cheap.
They are a 3000k color temp, so they might be a little white for some uses.
Home Despot also had two-packs of the EcoSmart 40 watt equivalent in a slightly cooler 2700k color temp.  They were $16 for the pack.  Still a pretty good deal for the softer color bulb.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2013, 06:30:42 PM »
They are a 3000k color temp, so they might be a little white for some uses.
Home Despot also had two-packs of the EcoSmart 40 watt equivalent in a slightly cooler 2700k color temp.

Jeez, the prices are starting to change so fast I can't keep up.  It's a good thing, though....

FYI - Color temp descriptions are inverse to the numeric rating.  Numerically higher color temps are described as cooler (light perceived as more blue or blue-white).

Brad
-HankB

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2013, 09:08:52 PM »
Now that the price of 75s is coming down, the next time my CFL burns out in the post lamp out front I think I might take the plunge and switch it for an LED.

When the price of the 100s comes down to a sane level I'll probably start switching out the bulbs in the bathroom.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2013, 01:18:32 AM »
Jeez, the prices are starting to change so fast I can't keep up.  It's a good thing, though....

FYI - Color temp descriptions are inverse to the numeric rating.  Numerically higher color temps are described as cooler (light perceived as more blue or blue-white).

Brad

Huh, you're right.  Put the thing in the porch light and it looks more like an incandescent.  Cool.  (no pun intended)
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2013, 08:29:34 PM »
I like the idea of LEDs.  I have a low wattage one on my porch light (still too bright IMAO) and put a 30 inch FugeRay over my 29 gallon tropical tank a few months ago and everything is growing like mad.

But I still like the warmth of incandecents on a low dimmer for evening hours.  I've not seen that yet in LEDs.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2013, 08:34:02 PM »
I like the idea of LEDs.  I have a low wattage one on my porch light (still too bright IMAO) and put a 30 inch FugeRay over my 29 gallon tropical tank a few months ago and everything is growing like mad.

But I still like the warmth of incandecents on a low dimmer for evening hours.  I've not seen that yet in LEDs.

They have dimmable LED's, and as per above they have LED's that closely mimic incandescents. Unless the LED's change color when they dim, I don't see how they wouldn't look pretty much the same.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2013, 08:41:22 PM »
I'm picky when it comes to light.  At full power I like the light at around 6500 K (matches whats going into the aquaria in the home), but for low light I'd rather have it at 2200 K or less.

But then maybe I've just not looked hard enough.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

zahc

• friend
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2013, 08:52:18 PM »
Cree are the best. And made in USA!
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2013, 08:56:59 PM »

Most current generation A19 format LEDS from reputable mfgs will reliably dim to 15-20%, and Philips recently introduced a bulb that actually warms the color temp as it dims just like a dimmed incandescent.  LEDS can be dimmer-sensitive, especially if the LED lamp is the only load on the circuit.  Dimmer technology is quickly catching up though.

Brad
-HankB

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2013, 03:31:44 PM »
I think a big advantage is being able to get brighter bulbs into lower rated fixtures. I have several multi-lamp overhead fixtures rated for max 60w bulbs that I'd like to use 100w lamps in, so I should be able to safely duplicate that level of light output with LED (or CFL I suppose) bulbs. They're all on dimmers though so finding ones that play nice with dimmers is important.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2013, 09:30:38 PM »
There should be enough draw using 100w equivalents to keep the dimmers happy. Take a look at the Philips 19w. Sucker is BRIGHT.

Brad
-HankB