Author Topic: Raising Raspberries (landscaping/drainage question)  (Read 1755 times)

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Raising Raspberries (landscaping/drainage question)
« on: March 10, 2015, 04:13:40 PM »
So, while perusing tractor supply company, we discovered they had some raspberry bushes for sale. My wife fell in love with the idea.

Having grown up in the midwest, I remembered raspberries as growing wild without the slightest bit of cultivation, so I was interested as well. We didn't purchase them at the time as there was still snow on the ground and wouldn't be able to plant this weekend anyway.

Researching more, raspberries like soil with good drainage. We have a thick clay soil- not so hot drainage.

SO, to alleviate this, I'm thinking to dig down about 6-12", add a layer of gravel/rock for drainage, refill with soil and then add a raised bed above that (12") with a topsoil/compost mixture into which the bushes would be planted.

Am I missing something that I should be concerned about?

For example, would that gravel bed just provide a place for the surrounding soil to dump water into, negating the drainage of the soil above?
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

mtnbkr

• friend
Re: Raising Raspberries (landscaping/drainage question)
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2015, 04:19:38 PM »
I'm not sure I'd even go with the gravel, just dig your hole and backfill with topsoil.  I don't know how different they are, but I see blackberries growing in the worst conditions and still putting out lots of berries.  Hell, anything to control their growth is probably worthwhile.

Chris

brimic

• friends
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2015, 04:22:03 PM »
I had some nice raspberries growing at my last house- in thick, heavy clay soil, in a low spot in my yard, with terrible drainage.
Edit: I plan on planting some at my new house this spring along my back lot line.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2015, 04:25:53 PM »
Raised bed with black dirt and a little compost = well drained.
forget digging and gravel. Keep it simple. 6-8" sides above ground level will work just fine.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2015, 04:32:44 PM »
And learn how to prune them.  I suspect you cut all the one-year-old canes off after they bear, and leave the new growth to bear next year.
"It's good, though..."

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2015, 05:19:01 PM »
Raised bed or raised linear mound.

We grew blackberries in the nastiest, rockiest clay soil you could imagine.  The big determinant of berry harvest and sweetness was the amount of water they got.  Little water = few sour berries.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2015, 05:26:44 PM »
So, while perusing tractor supply company, we discovered they had some raspberry bushes for sale. My wife fell in love with the idea.

Do they have baby chicks yet?  They are sooo cute; your wife NEEDS a bunch of them.  And maybe a baby duck...  ;) 

(especially if you live in the city)  >:D
"It's good, though..."

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2015, 05:35:36 PM »
I had a section of useless yard covered in old landscape fabric and river rock.  I just cut holes and moved a few rocks to get raspberries and blackberries in there.  They get overspray from the lawn sprinklers and have done great for 2 years now.  Under the fabric is maybe 3 inches of decent dirt and then clay.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2015, 06:17:57 PM »
Lots of sunlight, raspberries love sun.

Raspberries are a pioneer plant species, just plant them in your yard, add some compost if you want.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2015, 08:26:17 PM »
Got room in the freezer? You will be knee deep in berries. And get used to picking in a cloud of honey bees....  =D

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Re: Re: Raising Raspberries (landscaping/drainage question)
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2015, 10:24:26 PM »
Thank you all for saving me a good amount if time and work.

And we went to see the chicks. Just see, not buy- they don't have the type of ducks I want. ;D
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2015, 11:00:38 PM »
I was cautioned about digging in clay for a garden; if the sides and/or bottom are "glazed" you'll end up with basically a swimming pool full of dirt, the water won't be able to drain out of the hole.

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2015, 05:35:55 AM »
I was cautioned about digging in clay for a garden; if the sides and/or bottom are "glazed" you'll end up with basically a swimming pool full of dirt, the water won't be able to drain out of the hole.

Pro-tip: score the sides of the hole after digging it. That allows the water to drain out.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2015, 07:46:59 AM »
The clay in our garden is bad we dug down and drain tiled it

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I