Author Topic: Should tax dollars support the Democratic National Convention?  (Read 2696 times)

eflatminor

Same question for the Republican convention, but I found this published statistic:

"Denver police working the convention will make as much as $1.2 million in overtime pay, city officials said. Budget estimates were released Friday and are part of the $50 million federal grant to cover convention security costs."

Link:  http://www.truthout.org/article/warehouse-set-process-democratic-convention-arrests

I first wondered if the Libertarians or one of the smaller parties were so well taken care of...then I asked myself "Why are ANY tax dollars being used to support a political party's, well, party!"  And let's face it, since 1968, we all know the nominee well beforehand.  The conventions are a big self promotion...that you're paying for.  This seems to me not only fiscally irresponsible for both the Federal government and the city and county of Denver, but just 'wrong' to use tax dollars in this way.  Political parties can have their conventions, but there's no reason they can't hire their own security...plenty of private firms and off duty cops they can hire with their own money, usually donations from their members or other organizations.  This way, Democrates pay for their party...and not ME!  Sure it's a drop in the bucket, but I just don't think it's anyone's responsibility but theirs.

MicroBalrog

• friend
Re: Should tax dollars support the Democratic National Convention?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2008, 07:30:30 PM »
Because in the American political system, rightly or wrongly, the two major political parties are treated as semi-public institutions. Same how there are public primaries for them managed by local governments - they provide the voting machines, the voting locations and some other stuff.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2008, 08:24:27 PM »
Same question for the Republican convention, but I found this published statistic:

"Denver police working the convention will make as much as $1.2 million in overtime pay, city officials said. Budget estimates were released Friday and are part of the $50 million federal grant to cover convention security costs."

Question, why not say RNC or DNC?  As you point out, both use police protection.  Except for your first sentence, you repeatedly touched on Dems using federal funding for their convention, but not Republicans.   It appears both were equally given $50 million in federal funds for the event security.   It appears that at least $1.5 mil is going to overtime for the SPPD.  Google hunting gave this in a few seconds of clicking.

http://www.minnesotaindependent.com/4244/st-pauls-rnc-security-budget-contains-black-budget-redactions

The reason why RNC/DNC probably passes muster is that a sufficient number of important folks will be attending a high visiability event.  With a very high possibility of rioting, demonstrations, etc. 

Private companies?  I'd prefer not.  Inside the venue, sure.  What the heck are they going to do in the event of a riot or demonstration that turns ugly?  Rentacops and mall ninjas are not cops.  They have not an ounce of authority besides representing the owners of the property they are hired by.  They cannot 'arrest' people on the property they are hired to protect, let alone folks outside of the property they are hired to protect. 
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2008, 03:48:04 AM »
Both the Republicrats and Democans have been buying votes with the public treasury a long, long time.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2008, 04:43:28 AM »
Guess the same rules should imply with the Super Bowl, World Series, NCAA National Championship, Daytona (NASCAR), etc right?  Still have to have law and order at any national event. 

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2008, 05:00:30 AM »
Guess the same rules should imply with the Super Bowl, World Series, NCAA National Championship, Daytona (NASCAR), etc right?  Still have to have law and order at any national event. 

Key NASCAR events have Air Force or local National Guard overflights at the opening. I bet that costs a pretty (taxpayer) penny.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

eflatminor

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2008, 05:57:56 AM »
Thank you all for your responses and input.  I remain convinced that tax dollars need not be used at DNC/RNC conventions and certainly not at major sporting events, whether it's a Federal grant for security or local tax dollars used to hire the cops.  Imagine a world for a moment in which these tax dollars were not available.  Would law and order crumble and anarchy reign?  I think not.  In such a world, if you were organizing a political convention, you would do it in a venue that you could afford to make safe without tax dollar assistance.  That's pretty simple.  If your party attracted unwanted protestors, move it to private land that keeps them away from the event.  No trespassing...simple.  If you insist on having your party in downtown Denver, then you'll just have to deal with the protestors.  The right to gather and protest is every bit as guaranteed as the right to bear arms.  Now, if any protestors begin to break that's what the town's cops are there to respond to.  Today, tax dollars are used to keep these protestors from making the Dems/Repubs look bad by keeping them penned up away from the party.  Why should my tax dollars be used to protect the image of a political party?  That has nothing to do with law and order.
Now imagine the Super Bowl or other sporting event.  In a world in which no tax dollars were not available for such an event (Hey, look!  More tax dollars for a party!) and were not made available to build the stadium in the first place, I'm quite sure football fans could pay with their own money to have a game.  Maybe it wouldn't be the gigantic, shut down the entire city kind of event we see today, but certainly, the game could be played sans tax dollars.  If you as a football fan dont like that, image if the tax dollars used for the Super Bowl where also made available to the synchronized swimming championships, the skateboarding finals and the shuffleboard nationals.  I bet youd think that a waste of taxpayer money.  Now you know how non-football fans feel.  And guess what, all those lesser sports manage to have their events without tax dollars.  Im an IPSC shooter and go to all the major events.  No cops, just private security to help people to park in the right place.
As far as one of these events having as guests "a sufficient number of important folks" to warrant tax dollars, I regard that as disgustingly elitist.  If an individual, be it a CEO or a Senator, thinks they are so important as to warrant extra security, they are welcome to obtain a CCW or hire security guards...as long as they do it on their own dime.   
It's seems we've become quite used to having taxes used for many things that benefit not the people, but a select few persons.  I can image a world in which that's not the case, can you? 

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2008, 06:59:03 AM »
The two major political Parties own us, not the other way around.   They are our noble class.

When that ugly reality really hits home maybe we'll start changing things so we can truly have a Republic again.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2008, 07:10:07 AM »
The difference is that it can be argued that private events like these have a generally positive effect on the economy. (Though, since I don't own a hotel, restaurant, or bar myself, I have yet to see any of those event  $$$ ending up in my pocket.)
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain