Author Topic: Storm damage in the Midwest  (Read 1191 times)

Kingcreek

• friend
Storm damage in the Midwest
« on: August 16, 2020, 12:39:50 PM »
The weird storm that hit Monday blew a window out of my 110 year old barn but it might have fallen out on its own anyway. Otherwise it spared us. Significant damage 5 miles south and north.
I had to drive 25 miles to a lawn equipment dealer yesterday for a wheel for my lawnmower. I was shocked when I got there. The line socially distanced out and across the parking lot. When I finally got inside the building one of the owners saw me and waved me up to the front. Even though I am only in there a couple times a year he remembers me. Handed me the $15 dollar wheel I called about earlier for the mower I bought there 15 years ago.
One worker was at the phone and computer full time and they had extra help there. Some people were coming from 150 miles away to buy chainsaws and generators. The owner said he keeps a good inventory and paid an extra $1200 shipping for a truckload of stihl power saws overnight delivery. He said he appreciates my business and was sorry I had to wait in line. He said all those people buying saws and generators would never be back. He was happy to sell everything he’s got but said he depends on local business like me. That was nice.
There must have been 15 generators with sold tags on them and 30 or more new power saws tagged on the floor. I saw people with their credit cards out buying without even asking the price.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
Re: Storm damage in the Midwest
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2020, 01:17:30 PM »
Up here in Chicagoland, the shadow of Mordor, we still have folks without power.

My power was out for two hours.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2020, 01:58:55 PM »
Had it hit us hard, I have 3 chainsaws and a commercial grade portable 5500W Honda generator. Plenty fuel for both also. A diesel loader tractor with hydraulic grapple option. I guess I was surprised at how bad the damage was in places. Cedar Rapids Iowa and parts of east Iowa got hammered. I haven’t newsed much lately.
The good news is there is a second giant oak tree down in the pasture 1.5 miles away. The bad news is it is on the same dangerous hill as the first one I started cutting last thanksgiving and still haven’t fetched home. I really need the firewood seasoned for this winter. I have about enough to last until Christmas
What we have here is failure to communicate.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2020, 07:20:06 AM »
Friends of mine live on the outskirts of Cedar Rapids. They were lucky, no major damage. They lost a couple of fence panels when trees dropped on them, and a branch broke the windscreen on their truck.

The worst damage was my friend and his son were coming back from the shooting range and got caught on the highway in the middle of the worst of it. They had to stop because visibility was 0. The wind was picking up gravel from the shoulders and the fields and pelting the cars (others were stopped, as well). Dave said he felt the car start to lift (wind gusts were over 100 mps and he was broadside to the wind) so he got the ass end into the wind so if anything big came out of the fields the seats would protect them.

Gravel from the road scoured a lot of the paint off the rear of the car, broke both side mirrors and pockmarked the hell out of the rear window.

They didn't have power for the better part of 30 hours. A couple of hours after it came on it went off again, turns out that was a damaged line shorted out and caught fire down the street. Power was out for another 8 or so hours.

At one point Alliant energy, which has just shy of 100,000 customers in Linn County (where my friends live) had between 90 and 95% of its customers without power. One of the electric co-operatives with about 10,000 customers had 100% without power.

Friday I got a call from Dave's wife -- she was with a friend who was looking at buying a new Subaru Forester and wanted some pricing advice. Her Forester took a direct hit from a huge tree.

And a Facebook group I'm on had pictures from a Cedar Rapids member who had a 100+ year old tree right in the middle of their 100+ year old house. Huge damage.

The Derecho we had in DC some years ago was a pretty quick even. It just moved through. But the Iowa derecho lasted for over half an hour in some places, which shows how huge and deep that front was.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2020, 07:59:56 PM »
My town was unaffected, about 60 miles from the north edge of the storm. I on the other hand was not, I was 5 miles north of State Center, IA in Marshall County, when the storm hit. It was a whole lot of suck and I’m surprised that I can out of it with no vehicle damage or personal injury.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2020, 08:02:32 PM »
I read 7000+ trees blown down in Chicago.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2020, 10:47:21 PM »

And you can bet every damn one of them will vote democrat.  :rofl:
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Pb

• friend
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2020, 10:50:26 PM »
I didn't know there were 7k tree is Chicago. 

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2020, 06:50:54 AM »

See! It's the storm that caused all of the damage, not the peaceful protestors!
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2020, 07:34:30 AM »
I didn't know there were 7k tree is Chicago.  

Chicago was on the cutting edge of preserving green spaces, making sure every neighborhood had a park and set the standard for setting aside large tracts of Forest Preserves. This goes back to the 1930's I believe.

edited to add: wow, the park set asides for every neighborhood started in 1891!
The Cook County Forest Preserve lands encompass approximately 70,000 acres, about 11% of Cook County

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parks_in_Chicago

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forest_Preserve_District_of_Cook_County
« Last Edit: August 18, 2020, 08:48:08 AM by Ron »

Pb

• friend
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2020, 10:19:11 AM »
Good to know.  The part I drove through seemed like a hideous wasteland.

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2020, 11:10:22 AM »
Good to know.  The part I drove through seemed like a hideous wasteland.

It's been in a steady decline for a long time. Some areas are pleasant, others look like bombed out war zones.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2020, 12:01:35 PM »
The weird storm that hit Monday blew a window out of my 110 year old barn but it might have fallen out on its own anyway. Otherwise it spared us. Significant damage 5 miles south and north.
I had to drive 25 miles to a lawn equipment dealer yesterday for a wheel for my lawnmower. I was shocked when I got there. The line socially distanced out and across the parking lot. When I finally got inside the building one of the owners saw me and waved me up to the front. Even though I am only in there a couple times a year he remembers me. Handed me the $15 dollar wheel I called about earlier for the mower I bought there 15 years ago.
One worker was at the phone and computer full time and they had extra help there. Some people were coming from 150 miles away to buy chainsaws and generators. The owner said he keeps a good inventory and paid an extra $1200 shipping for a truckload of stihl power saws overnight delivery. He said he appreciates my business and was sorry I had to wait in line. He said all those people buying saws and generators would never be back. He was happy to sell everything he’s got but said he depends on local business like me. That was nice.
There must have been 15 generators with sold tags on them and 30 or more new power saws tagged on the floor. I saw people with their credit cards out buying without even asking the price.

Where I was, it rained really hard, hailed briefly. 

next town south had a trailer park flattened.  I've been taking a few days off, and haven't been out of town, so I haven't had a chance to look at the landscape.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.