Author Topic: COVID-19/corona virus mega thread/prepping thread  (Read 453607 times)

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Re: COVID-19/corona virus mega thread/prepping thread
« Reply #1400 on: March 23, 2020, 01:10:16 PM »
You have to sign it to find out what's in it
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #1401 on: March 23, 2020, 01:16:50 PM »
Boeing halting Puget Sound production for 2 weeks.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #1402 on: March 23, 2020, 01:17:28 PM »
Boeing has just announced they are suspending all Puget Sound production for 14 days, starting on March 25th.  10 days of that will be paid.  Boeing is one of the main economic drivers for Washington state, so this will be interesting.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #1403 on: March 23, 2020, 01:19:32 PM »
Looks like it has gone back to the house, and it's now green new deal and a boatload of other non-pandemic stuff being added to the already 1800 pages.

https://twitchy.com/sarahd-313035/2020/03/23/disgusting-heres-how-nancy-pelosi-is-using-house-dems-covid19-stimulus-bill-to-put-a-gun-to-the-head-of-america-right-now/

All bullscat, house is adjorned and in recess

http://clerk.house.gov/floorsummary/floor.aspx
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #1404 on: March 23, 2020, 01:25:45 PM »
We went to the local Walmart Supercenter this morning, arriving at 15 minutes after opening at 0700.  They actually had toilet paper and paper towels on the shelves, albeit it was gone by 0800. We scored a multi-pack of Cottonelle.  The canned vegetables, beans and soups were pretty sparse and I picked up the last bag of AP flour and there were 20 bags of sugar left on the shelf. I also got the last pail of cat litter.  Ample supplies of all produce but minimal amounts of meat and chicken. I was able to score two pounds of ground beef to make a batch of chili.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #1405 on: March 23, 2020, 01:26:54 PM »
All bullscat, house is adjorned and in recess

http://clerk.house.gov/floorsummary/floor.aspx

Different bill:

House Dems circulate 1,119-page stimulus bill - entitled the Take Responsibility for Workers and Families Act - that Pelosi will introduce this afternoon
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #1406 on: March 23, 2020, 01:29:53 PM »
One of the Dallas plumbing companies is advertising a free roll of TP with every service job. :)

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #1407 on: March 23, 2020, 01:32:16 PM »
Different bill:

and not going to happen in the immediate future

Last Floor Action:
 11:33:55 A.M. - The Speaker announced that the House do now recess. The next meeting is subject to the call of the Chair.

Uranus is a gas giant.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #1408 on: March 23, 2020, 01:35:39 PM »
and from https://www.speaker.gov/newsroom/32320

NewsroomPelosi Statement Ahead of Unveiling of Democrats’ Third Coronavirus Response Bill

March 23, 2020   
|  Press Release   

Washington, D.C. – Speaker Nancy Pelosi released this statement ahead of the unveiling of House Democrats’ third coronavirus response bill, the Take Responsibility for Workers and Families Act:

“The Senate Republicans’ bill, as presented, put corporations first, not workers and families.  Today, House Democrats will unveil a bill that takes responsibility for the health, wages and well-being of America’s workers: the Take Responsibility for Workers and Families Act.

“Democrats Take Responsibility:
•For our workers and small businesses: our bill requires that any corporation that takes taxpayer dollars must protect their workers’ wages and benefits – not CEO pay, stock buybacks or layoffs.  It gives our small businesses fast relief with grants and loans to tide them through this crisis.  And it strengthens Unemployment Insurance so that it can replace the average wages of our workers who are losing their jobs and hours.
•For our doctors, nurses, health care workers and first responders: It gives hospitals and other health institutions the desperately needed funds to provide treatment and care to all those who are sick and to ensure they have the Personal Protective Equipment to protect health care workers and first responders.  It protects our health care workers by requiring the Administration to enforce our stronger Occupational Safety and Health Administration protections.  At the same time, it calls for the president to invoke the Defense Production Act immediately.
•For our families: It gives direct payments to America’s families in a robust way and strengthens Child Tax Credits and the Earned Income Tax Credit.  It gives more workers the security of guaranteed paid family and medical leave, including those caring for our seniors.  And it makes coronavirus treatment free for the patient.
•For our students: Pumps nearly $40 billion into schools and universities, with $30 billion directly provided to states to help them stabilize their funding for schools and nearly $10 billion to help alleviate the harm caused by coronavirus on higher education institutions, while providing them with added flexibility to continue operating during the crisis.  The legislation also helps current borrowers with their student debt burden and GI bill benefits.  We also bolster SNAP and other initiatives to address food insecurity.
•For our Democracy: Ensures that states can carry out this year’s election with billions in grant funding for states through the Election Assistance Commission and a national requirement for both 15 days of early voting and no-excuse absentee vote-by-mail, including mailing a ballot to all registered voters in an emergency.

“I am grateful to our Committee Chairs and members for their extraordinary work for America’s workers and families.  Because of the Senate Democrats,  progress has been made.  We urge the Senate to move closer to the values in the Take Responsibility for Workers and Families Act.”

Uranus is a gas giant.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #1409 on: March 23, 2020, 01:37:39 PM »
and not going to happen in the immediate future

Good. Maybe it will die.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #1410 on: March 23, 2020, 01:43:11 PM »
Good. Maybe it will die.

Same here.  I'm not seeing a lot to like in Pelosi's statement.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #1411 on: March 23, 2020, 01:43:42 PM »
I'm old enough to goto Walmart tomorrow when it opens an hour early just for seniors.  Ugh, 06:00.  I'll need to have everybody here make a shopping list for me to make it worth the effort.  (meat, peroxide, 8 or so rolls of TP, fresh produce, get Mom's glasses fixed, etc)  I dont know why they sell out of peroxide; maybe because it's next to the rubbing alcohol?

And I wonder if I can get some kind of credentials for my younger brother to use when I go back to MN so he can get in early; he's not 60 yet but he's close, and he's caring for my almost-90 parents.

20 more days to Easter, when I can have a beer again.  Doing without hasn't been all *that* hard but I'm looking forward to it.
"It's good, though..."

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #1412 on: March 23, 2020, 01:47:09 PM »
^^^ Got the ingredients for a couple batches of homebrew.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #1413 on: March 23, 2020, 01:49:52 PM »
Winnebago Industries is temporary closing factories for the foreseeable future and going to pay 5000 employees two weeks pay and benefits.

Winnebago has factories in counties along the IA and MN border, seems like there are recent positive Covid-19 people in those counties with factories.

https://www.kimt.com/content/news/Winnebago-to-temporarily-suspend-production-569023461.html

Uranus is a gas giant.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #1414 on: March 23, 2020, 02:15:41 PM »
One Boeing worker in Everett has died from the Wuhan virus.

2 people at my worksite are "presumed positive" for it now too.  My ride was working in their area on Friday.

what's that mean for you with your health situation?
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #1415 on: March 23, 2020, 02:19:09 PM »
Well...the rumor is that there's been some incidents in the local high end grocery store parking lot (Wegman's).  Apparently there's now a permanent police presence. 
I found it odd that very recently, the county put some of those solar powered cameras in the Walmart parking lot...like early Feb they suddenly appeared...

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/technology/blue-flashing-lights-in-walmart-parking-lot-are-crime-fighters/ar-BBYDMH0
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #1416 on: March 23, 2020, 02:20:46 PM »
what's that mean for you with your health situation?

I don't think seizures, or PD, puts me at any higher risk than the general public.  I'll look that up though to be sure.

My wife has Celiac's and in general a weaker immune system than I do.  I'd honestly be more worried if she got it.

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #1417 on: March 23, 2020, 02:27:37 PM »
 The Madness of Crowds. Hysteria in the Age of the Internet. Or like some guy (and I wish I knew who) once said,
"occasionally, entire societies go batshit crazy".  

^^ That is the charitable view.  aka accidental hysteria. The other one is we are being played deliberately.

We are treating a hangnail with a chainsaw, destroying lives and jobs and social structures and most likely all our civil liberties,
 enabling and cheering on vast government expansions of power, for a virus. A virus with a minuscule mortality rate.

Our ancestors survived polio, smallpox, scarlet fever and a host of other ills without antibiotics or anesthesia,  and I suspect would be sickened to their core over how a bunch moderns willingly give up the country they built with their efforts.

"A Republic, if you can keep it."

fifth_column

• friend
« Reply #1418 on: March 23, 2020, 02:29:16 PM »
I dont know why they sell out of peroxide; maybe because it's next to the rubbing alcohol?

I read somewhere peroxide is effective at killing this virus.  Probably others as well.

20 more days to Easter, when I can have a beer again.  Doing without hasn't been all *that* hard but I'm looking forward to it.

And now I'm thirsty for a beer . . . .
Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will... The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress. ― Frederick Douglass

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people.  -  Catherine Engelbrecht

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #1419 on: March 23, 2020, 02:33:11 PM »
I don't think seizures, or PD, puts me at any higher risk than the general public.  I'll look that up though to be sure.

My wife has Celiac's and in general a weaker immune system than I do.  I'd honestly be more worried if she got it.

So a quick perusal of an epilepsy site and a PD site indicated I'm not at any higher risk of contracting the disease.  Note that some people with one or both diagnoses can have higher risks, but that depends on things like the medications they're taking and other factors specific to their experience with the disease.  

However, I could be at increased risk of additional seizures if I get Covid-19 (or any severe illness).  PD can also be made worse but again, other illnesses can do that too.  It just depends on many personal factors.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #1420 on: March 23, 2020, 02:35:35 PM »
So a quick perusal of an epilepsy site and a PD site indicated I'm not at any higher risk of contracting the disease.  Note that some people with one or both diagnoses can have higher risks, but that depends on things like the medications they're taking and other factors specific to their experience with the disease.  

However, I could be at increased risk of additional seizures if I get Covid-19 (or any severe illness).  PD can also be made worse but again, other illnesses can do that too.  It just depends on many personal factors.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. You may want to contact you're doctor and see if there are any options for emergency anti seizure drugs if you get it or a kit with something your wife can stab you with if you go into a bad one.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #1421 on: March 23, 2020, 04:23:09 PM »
I made a trip south this weekend to Castle Key's place. I left Seren there.

My daycare options for her are getting more limited quickly.

Not sure what would happen if a shelter in place order is given -- my job is considered essential to national security and I could be designated as essential. That would leave me in a serious bind if I were still required to work but couldn't get care for Seren.

So, as much as I hated to do it, Seren's now on vacation.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #1422 on: March 23, 2020, 05:06:44 PM »
^^^ Got the ingredients for a couple batches of homebrew.

A little over a month ago I brewed an experimental wheat beer using loaves of cheap white bread for half of the grist.  When I bottled it, it was still cloudy and had very little flavor.  When I sampled one just before Lent, it was still kind of green and not fully carbonated, and it tasted overpoweringly of orange peel and coriander -- I didn't think I used all that much orange or coriander.  I'm curious to see how it turns out with a little age.

I have over 100 lbs of malt in my basement and several pounds of hops in the freezer.  That kinda fits the prepping thread, right? 8)
"It's good, though..."

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #1423 on: March 23, 2020, 07:00:28 PM »
The Madness of Crowds. Hysteria in the Age of the Internet. Or like some guy (and I wish I knew who) once said,
"occasionally, entire societies go batshit crazy".  

^^ That is the charitable view.  aka accidental hysteria. The other one is we are being played deliberately.

We are treating a hangnail with a chainsaw, destroying lives and jobs and social structures and most likely all our civil liberties,
 enabling and cheering on vast government expansions of power, for a virus. A virus with a minuscule mortality rate.

Our ancestors survived polio, smallpox, scarlet fever and a host of other ills without antibiotics or anesthesia,  and I suspect would be sickened to their core over how a bunch moderns willingly give up the country they built with their efforts.

"A Republic, if you can keep it."

Preach it, brother!  You speak much wisdom.  Just be prepared to be castigated by a few folks on here.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #1424 on: March 23, 2020, 07:09:40 PM »
Preach it, brother!  You speak much wisdom.  Just be prepared to be castigated by a few folks on here.

We need to split off in to tribes.
On one side of the island, The howler monkeys of doom. On the other side of the island, The Chip Diller fan club.
 =D
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams