Author Topic: COVID-19/corona virus mega thread/prepping thread  (Read 453789 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: COVID-19/corona virus mega thread/prepping thread
« Reply #1450 on: March 24, 2020, 10:26:18 AM »
Protip: There's a difference between Hydroxychloroquine and chloroquine phosphate. I can't help but wonder if these people were amateur preppers, as there is that big thing in the hardcore prepper community about fish antibiotics, and maybe these people thought, "same thing." Nevermind self-medicating when you're not even sick.

Of course the MSM and the left are blaming Trump, because they flunked High School chemistry. This NYT article is actually one of the less TDS reports.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/24/us/chloroquine-poisoning-coronavirus.html

"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #1451 on: March 24, 2020, 10:31:36 AM »
Protip: There's a difference between Hydroxychloroquine and chloroquine phosphate. I can't help but wonder if these people were amateur preppers, as there is that big thing in the hardcore prepper community about fish antibiotics, and maybe these people thought, "same thing." Nevermind self-medicating when you're not even sick.

Of course the MSM and the left are blaming Trump, because they flunked High School chemistry. This NYT article is actually one of the less TDS reports.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/24/us/chloroquine-poisoning-coronavirus.html

A friend of mine and I were just talking about that, then I mentioned overdosing on fat soluble vitamins due to the one guy saying vitamin D will cure/prevent it.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #1452 on: March 24, 2020, 10:43:41 AM »
Turns out gunshops in addition to liquor stores are exempt from the retail shutdown in Kentucky.
So the liquor stores and gun shops are open  :lol:
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #1453 on: March 24, 2020, 10:44:47 AM »
Florida Spring breakers are testing positive for coronavirus.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/coronavirus-florida-spring-break-test-positive-covid-19-college-students-not-social-distancing-university-of-tampa/

Now, whoever might have predicted that?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #1454 on: March 24, 2020, 10:45:12 AM »
A friend of mine and I were just talking about that, then I mentioned overdosing on fat soluble vitamins due to the one guy saying vitamin D will cure/prevent it.

Yeah, I've been seeing Vitamin D and I think zinc(?) as "preventatives". I haven't been to the Costco or other big boxes, but I wouldn't be surprised if they are cleared out of vitamins and that some people are saying, 'Hey, if one a day is good, ten is better!"

I've been reading about the D, which is interesting. I just get mine from milk and sun. I'm surprised (as a layman) that the B vitamins don't seem to be mentioned.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #1455 on: March 24, 2020, 10:46:20 AM »
Turns out gunshops in addition to liquor stores are exempt from the retail shutdown in Kentucky.
So the liquor stores and gun shops are open  :lol:

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #1456 on: March 24, 2020, 10:47:43 AM »

brimic

• friends
« Reply #1457 on: March 24, 2020, 10:52:43 AM »
No one should be surprised.

I remember that video. Everyone on it was a caricature of a New jersey meat head.  :rofl:
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1459 on: March 24, 2020, 11:26:09 AM »
Some of the stuff in Pelosi's "virus relief bill".

https://twitchy.com/samj-3930/2020/03/24/omfg-nancy-whyyyy-hilariously-infuriating-thread-breaks-down-nancy-pelosis-coronavirus-bill-bit-by-pork-filled-bit/

3/4 of anything I would have to say about this at this moment would consist of *expletive deleted*
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #1460 on: March 24, 2020, 11:30:50 AM »
. I'm surprised (as a layman) that the B vitamins don't seem to be mentioned.

B vitamins are water soluble, you piss out what you don't need at the time, so you need to take them everyday. A healthy balanced diet will get you all the B vitamins you need.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #1461 on: March 24, 2020, 11:41:29 AM »
Looks like stores are slowly returning to something more normal in Northern Virginia.

I stopped by Giant after I got home last night. An OK selection of meat, still not much ground turkey, but more ground beef and some more chicken.

Sliced cheese was pretty picked over but there was plenty of shredded and block cheese.

Lunch meat, sausage, and hot dogs were in OK supply.

Milk was thin, but they had half and half.

Frozen veggies were short supply, but most fresh veggies and produce, including potatoes and onions, were present.

What was odd, though, were the things that were picked over...

Ice cream, cookies and snacks, and frozen fruit were pretty much wiped out. My best guess is that we're now seeing the transition between essential supplies and comfort supplies.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #1462 on: March 24, 2020, 11:47:24 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_2omrmqPNs
The Red Tape Pandemic - John Stossel

Interesting stuff on why it took so long to get the virus testing moving.    
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #1463 on: March 24, 2020, 12:12:27 PM »
Looks like stores are slowly returning to something more normal in Northern Virginia.
I stopped by Giant after I got home last night. An OK selection of meat, still not much ground turkey, but more ground beef and some more chicken.
Sliced cheese was pretty picked over but there was plenty of shredded and block cheese.
Lunch meat, sausage, and hot dogs were in OK supply.
Milk was thin, but they had half and half.
Frozen veggies were short supply, but most fresh veggies and produce, including potatoes and onions, were present.
What was odd, though, were the things that were picked over...
Ice cream, cookies and snacks, and frozen fruit were pretty much wiped out. My best guess is that we're now seeing the transition between essential supplies and comfort supplies.

I was the designated shopper this morning for the first day of seniors only shopping at Walmart.  The paper goods aisle was almost wiped out, but they were *slowly* restocking it; probably pacing the stock to last most of the day.  I did get a 6-roll pack of TP and 2 rolls of paper towels (and that's all I wanted anyway) 

Most of the other aisles were well-stocked, but with strange outages.  The Blue Bell ice cream was all gone except for a little chocolate and vanilla in an endcase.  The all-purpose and bread flour was sold out, but they had cake flour.  The meat and fresh produce was fully stocked.  They were out of Owens sausage (one of the things on my list) but they had Jimmy Dean, so that was close enough. 

The dried beans shelf was empty except for garbanzo beans they had lots of those.  I guess people don't know what to do with them.  I didn't check the rice.  Breakfast cereal looked a little thin.

The only 2 things on my list that i didn't find at all were hydrogen peroxide and disinfectant wipes.  I may make some wet wipes out of paper napkins and E85 fuel (leave the gas can open overnight so the most volatile gasoline fractions, like butane, can evaporate) and store them in a ziplock freezer bag.
"It's good, though..."

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1464 on: March 24, 2020, 12:32:46 PM »
If I *expletive deleted* didn't have *expletive deleted* high blood pressure before I *expletive deleted* do now.

Pelosi 'Relief' Bill Includes a Massive Power Grab On Elections
https://townhall.com/tipsheet/katiepavlich/2020/03/24/as-americans-suffer-democrats-are-engaged-in-a-massive-power-grab-over-elections-n2565601
- Calvin and Hobbes

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #1465 on: March 24, 2020, 12:33:20 PM »
If you want to get the alcohol out of gasoline isn't there an easy way of doing that?

I think it involves water? Check youtoob.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #1466 on: March 24, 2020, 12:37:18 PM »
The only 2 things on my list that i didn't find at all were hydrogen peroxide and disinfectant wipes.  I may make some wet wipes out of paper napkins and E85 fuel (leave the gas can open overnight so the most volatile gasoline fractions, like butane, can evaporate) and store them in a ziplock freezer bag.

Please don't.  Gasoline has lots of nasty stuff in it, which you don't want on your surfaces and evaporating rapidly into your living environment.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #1467 on: March 24, 2020, 12:41:32 PM »
I think a food shortage is a real possibility if this goes on. Our supply chain is geared toward the industrial food supplying restaurants and such where probably half of America normally eats. Now the retail grocery stream has to take up most of that need. Producers can’t just snap their fingers and presto retail products. Throw in port and border controls slowing things down, distribution system absenteeism and a bunch of waste because new cooks can’t.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #1468 on: March 24, 2020, 12:42:53 PM »
Fortunate there will be a ready supply of meat in the form of all of the people the Corona kills...

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1469 on: March 24, 2020, 12:45:04 PM »
They went on to say the jump from a one week to a one month wait, the report said, is due to the high volume of gun purchases in the tiny state:

I can see their point since they are overwhelmed but how much you want to bet they never let it expire?
How about trying eliminating the waiting period? Yeah I know

Rhode Island Executive Order More Than Quadruples Wait Time to Buy Guns
https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/rhode-island-executive-order-more-than-quadruples-wait-time-to-buy-guns/
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1470 on: March 24, 2020, 12:49:49 PM »
Fortunate there will be a ready supply of meat in the form of all of the people the Corona kills...

Taste like chicken people
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1471 on: March 24, 2020, 12:52:20 PM »
Did not expect this, wow

Illinois Governor Pritzker Gets it Right, Designates Gun and Ammunition Suppliers as Essential in Emergency
https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/illinois-governor-pritzker-gets-it-right-designates-gun-and-ammunition-suppliers-essential/
- Calvin and Hobbes

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #1472 on: March 24, 2020, 01:16:54 PM »
So I report for NEO at my new job on Monday.  At the local hospital that currently has 65 COVID 19 inpatients.  I am going there this afternoon for my pre-employment mandatory health screening. If you don't hear back from me, it was a pleasure serving with you all.  [tinfoil]

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #1473 on: March 24, 2020, 01:26:06 PM »
Please don't.  Gasoline has lots of nasty stuff in it, which you don't want on your surfaces and evaporating rapidly into your living environment.

Okay, thanks.  I thought the 10% or so of gasoline left after you let the butane boil off wouldn't be that bad (you just wouldn't want to drink it)  But I guess it has benzene in it, and the EtOH part probably has a significant trace of methanol.  Should be alright for wiping down surfaces outside but probably not worth the risk.
"It's good, though..."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #1474 on: March 24, 2020, 01:33:56 PM »
So another part of the Pelosi bill is turning that "payout" money of $1200 into $1500 and a loan for those making $75K or more. I wouldn't have a problem with the loan part, since I hate seeing all this money spent, but my understanding is that they are just going to automatically send this dough out to taxpayers.

If it was an "opt-in", then you either take the money or not. If they just send it to you though, then tell the "evil rich" they have to give it back, it's kinda how the NRA would send you a video without asking, then demand you send them $29.95 or else.

At least it appears that even some democrats have had it with Pelosi's money grab for everything non-virus. Just because you add "to be used to prepare for coronavirus" to the text of your $35 million earmark to the Kennedy Center for performing Arts doesn't make it response related.

https://twitchy.com/samj-3930/2020/03/24/democrats-hate-america-even-lefties-are-pissed-about-house-dems-plan-for-rebates-checks-in-coronavirus-relief-bill/