Author Topic: COVID-19/corona virus mega thread/prepping thread  (Read 453285 times)

cordex

• Administrator
Re: COVID-19/corona virus mega thread/prepping thread
« Reply #1575 on: March 25, 2020, 05:15:03 PM »
I saw by a two to one margin. That's pretty significant.
So women are losing both their jobs and their sons/husbands/fathers.

Proof that they are being disproportionately impacted.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #1576 on: March 25, 2020, 05:16:24 PM »

You'd make a great CNN spin doctor!  :laugh:
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #1577 on: March 25, 2020, 05:16:52 PM »

Isn't pretty much the same logic one of the female congress critters used when they said women suffered more than men in WW-I?
« Last Edit: March 25, 2020, 05:37:38 PM by WLJ »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #1578 on: March 25, 2020, 05:25:36 PM »
He's more concerned about the geese than the virus.  :laugh:

Somehow the little bastard caught a snow goose and ate it last week, while I never got a shot off. Steve-1, Ben-0.

:lol:  :lol:  Made my day.  And my wife's day too.  She's still cackling.
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #1579 on: March 25, 2020, 05:33:59 PM »
Isn't pretty much the same logic one of the female congress critters use when they said women suffered more than men in WW-I?

During these layoffs and temporary work stoppages remember that a man is losing $1 for every $0.79 a woman loses.

:rofl:
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #1580 on: March 25, 2020, 05:41:21 PM »
On those checks, this Fox article says even longer than 4 months:

When and how are payments made?

Payments, according to the bill, will be made “as rapidly as possible” and no later than Dec. 31, 2020. They will be made via direct deposit to an account that the person has authorized for tax refunds or federal payments on or after Jan. 1, 2018.

Notice will be sent to the person’s last known address within 15 days of payment informing them of the method and amount of payment. A phone number will also be provided so people can call the IRS in the event they did not receive it.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/do-you-qualify-for-a-stimulus-check-in-senates-coronavirus-response-bill

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #1581 on: March 25, 2020, 06:02:25 PM »
I got this from work, and the author has posted it elsewhere. A handy one page summary of COVID 19. Note the code to see more current versions as they are developed.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #1582 on: March 25, 2020, 06:39:39 PM »
And the first thing Idahoans did when the lockdown was announced?  :laugh:

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #1584 on: March 25, 2020, 07:06:40 PM »
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #1586 on: March 25, 2020, 08:07:34 PM »
^^^The rural medical infrastructure is already on a wing and a prayer in many parts of the country.  It will not take much in the way of COVID 19 to completely overwhelm the hospitals and clinics, and then you will start to see the bodies pile up if the patient cannot be transferred to a higher level of care.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #1587 on: March 25, 2020, 10:30:16 PM »
I received an e-mail today that included a link to a report saying Connecticut has had its militia (the official militia, which functions sort of like a junior varsity National Guard) set up field hospitals on the grounds of two hospitals around the state. I wonder if other states have that capability? (I also wonder what these field hospitals will be used for. The article mentioned "triage," but didn't provide any explanation.)

Also heard from a friend who works for a major hospital (in a non-medical support role). What he's hearing is that the actual number of proper, negative-pressure ICU beds in each state is quite limited, and the cononavirus is expected to overwhelm that number. He said once that happens, expect entire hospitals to become COVID-19 facilities, and all other patients will be diverted to other hospitals. It's just not practical (or maybe not even possible) to convert positive pressure rooms/beds to negative-pressure rooms/beds with the wave of a magic wand.

A bit of Google Fu brought up this: https://portal.ct.gov/DPH/Public-Health-Preparedness/Mobile-Field-Hospital/The-Ottilie-W-Lundgren-Memorial-Field-Hospital

Looks rather low-tech. Probably to be used as an adjunct to the emergency rooms. M*A*S*H revisited.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #1588 on: March 26, 2020, 08:11:09 AM »
So all that talk about how masks are ineffective?
My agency is going to have our facility test run working with masks to see if it affects voice quality etc.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #1589 on: March 26, 2020, 08:42:30 AM »
Interesting.  New guidance coming down.  We're probably moving to a new schedule for a little while.
Might be something like 5 days on 10 days off. They'll be putting in 3 crews, so there's little contact or overlap.  Straight shifts (days, nights, or mids). 
It's only taken 2 weeks post emergency declaration to do something. 
With the airlines parking planes, we've seen a drastic drop off in traffic. 
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #1590 on: March 26, 2020, 08:46:16 AM »
So all that talk about how masks are ineffective?
My agency is going to have our facility test run working with masks to see if it affects voice quality etc.

I'm reading commentators suggesting that was blatant propaganda because we didn't have enough masks.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #1591 on: March 26, 2020, 09:02:23 AM »
Not completely related to this linked article, but it got me to wondering: Among the other changes people are making, whether real and sensible long term or short term panic decisions, I wonder if we'll, in the short term once this calms down, see any kind of real estate movement of people selling out in big cities and moving to lower density suburban or rural locations? I'm not talking about the boonies necessarily, but from say, NYC to "50K population, USA".

I've talked to a few people in LA and DC who are semi-freaking about both the virus and dealing with going to the store, etc. and are worried if they could even get into the hospital if they needed to. Certainly some of it is "in the moment" panic, but I'm going to be curious if some people decide they don't want to be "trapped" in a densely populated large city anymore if something like this happens again. Or if six months from now everything is forgotten and they wouldn't consider moving because they would miss their Amazon three hour delivery and other urban amenities.

https://twitchy.com/gregp-3534/2020/03/26/big-jump-in-reported-coronavirus-cases-in-nyc-elmhurst-hospital-in-queens-overwhelmed/

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #1592 on: March 26, 2020, 09:48:53 AM »
One thing we should see, but I don't know if we will, is a move towards working from home. 
JD

zahc

• friend
« Reply #1593 on: March 26, 2020, 09:56:44 AM »
I wonder if we'll, in the short term once this calms down, see any kind of real estate movement of people selling out in big cities and moving to lower density suburban or rural locations? I'm not talking about the boonies necessarily, but from say, NYC to "50K population, USA".

You mean, accelerate what's already happening? This is in full force already everywhere I have lived. In Raleigh, it was hoards of yellow NY license plates. In Dallas it was hoards of Californians and in Boise it's swarms of Californians and PNWers.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #1594 on: March 26, 2020, 10:00:06 AM »
Looks like Bernie is holding things up

Coronavirus bill hits hurdles as Sanders threatens to stall package over bid to change unemployment aid
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/sanders-threatens-to-stall-coronavirus-package-over-gop-bid-to-change-unemployment-aid

Just ... Wow!

Then, late Wednesday, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif., said unanimous consent was a nonstarter in the House, and implied that quick passage in the lower chamber may be unrealistic. Pelosi has called for members to have at least 24 hours to review the bill text once it's available.

Lemme see -- 1800 pages, 24 hours -- that's 75 pages per hour, with no time out to eat, drink, pee, poop, or sleep. Whatever happened to "We'll just have to pass it to find out what's in it"?

“That’s not gonna work," she told reporters shortly after 7:30 p.m. ET, referring to unanimous consent. "Republicans have told us that’s not possible from their said. ... What I’d like to see -- because this a $2 trillion bill -- I’d like to see a good debate on the floor."

But Nancy, you didn't want a "good debate on the floor" over Obamacare. Why the change of heart?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #1595 on: March 26, 2020, 10:19:26 AM »
One thing we should see, but I don't know if we will, is a move towards working from home.  

At Enormous Computer Company ("wanna buy an Enormous computer?"â„¢) the workers have been working from home whenever we could get away with it for years -- most of us just when we're expecting a delivery or something, or not feeling well but not really sick either.  And the upper management hated it.  Good people have lost their jobs because they lived 100 miles from campus, and that was deemed just too far, even if they were willing to come in to the office every day.  Anyway...

Now with the coronovirus epidemic, ECC has locked the doors and mandated that all employees work from home.  With no acknowlegement of how exactly we're already good at that.

Just down the road at World Renowned Hospital (I don't know their clever slogan), they have declared that anyone with kids at home younger than 10 is not eligible to WFH because they will be distracted.  Like nobody is ever distracted when trying to work in their office.   ;/
« Last Edit: March 26, 2020, 11:02:39 AM by zxcvbob »
"It's good, though..."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #1596 on: March 26, 2020, 10:28:50 AM »
You mean, accelerate what's already happening? This is in full force already everywhere I have lived. In Raleigh, it was hoards of yellow NY license plates. In Dallas it was hoards of Californians and in Boise it's swarms of Californians and PNWers.

Granted, but most of that is people fleeing because of policies, taxes, etc. I may read way too many zombie apocalypse books, but was thinking along the lines of people afraid that they might be trapped in the big city during a disaster, pandemic, etc.

Jamisjockey

• friend
JD

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #1598 on: March 26, 2020, 11:21:34 AM »
Granted, but most of that is people fleeing because of policies, taxes, etc. I may read way too many zombie apocalypse books, but was thinking along the lines of people afraid that they might be trapped in the big city during a disaster, pandemic, etc.

I live in a town on 25k, we have the same problems too. Hospital is usually pretty full even during a non panic. Getting a new GP DR or Dentist to see you will be at least a 3 month wait for "non emergency" type things, right now if it's nor Covid-19 or Flu, you're not getting in.

Our town was out of TP, paper towels, Bleach, wipes and water in less than 24hrs after the panic began.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #1599 on: March 26, 2020, 11:28:08 AM »
I live in a town on 25k, we have the same problems too. Hospital is usually pretty full even during a non panic. Getting a new GP DR or Dentist to see you will be at least a 3 month wait for "non emergency" type things, right now if it's nor Covid-19 or Flu, you're not getting in.

Our town was out of TP, paper towels, Bleach, wipes and water in less than 24hrs after the panic began.

How's your town on crime, riots, and looting during disasters? :)