Author Topic: COVID-19/corona virus mega thread/prepping thread  (Read 453585 times)

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Re: COVID-19/corona virus mega thread/prepping thread
« Reply #1600 on: March 26, 2020, 11:44:13 AM »
How's your town on crime, riots, and looting during disasters? :)

Let's see we had a city wide flash flood in June of 2018, there was looting of vacated flooded properties, over 70% of the basements in town had significant water in them. 2008 flood was a lot worse for looting when the flood was more sustained in duration.

We seem to have a shooting or two every month. Also usually in just one part of town, I don't live in that part.

Riots? probably not enough people for anything that last more than 30 minutes. Unless you count Black Friday shoppers. :)
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #1603 on: March 26, 2020, 04:57:15 PM »
Couple days old, but so much for stay away from old people in Israel idea

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-israel/israel-orders-citizens-to-stay-home-in-partial-lockdown-idUSKBN21622D

TLDR--- pretty much total lock down, STF home except for food and medicine.

Apparently it's a $1k USD fine if you are violating this order (that isn't in the article, but I saw/heard it somewhere today)
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #1604 on: March 26, 2020, 05:18:39 PM »
NH goes on semi-lockdown tomorrow night at midnight.

NH schools are out until at least May 4th.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #1605 on: March 26, 2020, 06:28:36 PM »
My county issued a stay-at-home order.  I am not certain if there is any criminal penalty.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #1606 on: March 26, 2020, 07:40:28 PM »
I'm pretty sure I mentioned this before...

I live about 1/2 way between Dallas & Tyler TX, pretty rural area.  Tyler's a fair sized city (~100k), Rockwall's (~41k) near Dallas, Kaufmann's (~6.7k) close to Dallas too & is the county seat.

Anyway, a couple years ago, during the normal flu season, my appendix burst.  My normal hospital (Mother Frances) is in Tyler and the ambulance was based out of that hospital.  The ambulance crew was told to take me to another hospital since Mother Frances was full-up with flu cases.  OK, drove about 45 min in the opposite direction to Kaufman, nope, they're full-up with flu patients too.  Drove another 45 min or so to Rockwall - they were about to turn me away for the same reason when one of their surgeons saw me on the gurney & got in on the discussion.

Fortunately, I was in the OR in less than 30 minutes.

So, no, it doesn't take a lot to overwhelm our current hospitals.

Note:  All travel times are approximate - I really wasn't paying a whole lot of attention to the time.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #1607 on: March 26, 2020, 07:44:55 PM »
WE'RE NUMBER ONE! WE'RE NUMBER ONE!  USA! USA!
https://www.cbsnews.com/live-updates/coronavirus-news-latest-2020-03-26/

Emerging hotspots:
LA, New Orleans, Atlanta.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #1608 on: March 26, 2020, 07:58:13 PM »
Right... anyone actually believe that *expletive deleted*it?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #1609 on: March 26, 2020, 07:59:44 PM »
Right... anyone actually believe that *expletive deleted*it?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I don't believe China's numbers.   I bet it was 2-3x what they claimed.  And I bet they had more deaths they didn't test and just burned.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #1610 on: March 27, 2020, 07:51:16 AM »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1611 on: March 27, 2020, 08:08:01 AM »
I don't believe China's numbers.   I bet it was 2-3x what they claimed.  And I bet they had more deaths they didn't test and just burned.

CNN is repeating whatever China says like the info is coming from a burning bush. If it makes orange man look bad it must be true.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #1612 on: March 27, 2020, 08:15:27 AM »
Apparently people are celebrating Mardi Gras in New Orleans?!? I read this morning it might be the next epicenter for spread.

Also, a good thing about the response to the virus is that it kinda shows us what are necessary government functions and what are not. EPA is suspending much of its regulation and reporting enforcement.

https://www.foxnews.com/health/epa-temporarily-stops-enforcement-of-environmental-laws-amid-coronavirus

"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #1613 on: March 27, 2020, 08:16:36 AM »
Apparently people are celebrating Mardi Gras in New Orleans?!? I read this morning it might be the next epicenter for spread.

Also, a good thing about the response to the virus is that it kinda shows us what are necessary government functions and what are not. EPA is suspending much of its regulation and reporting enforcement.

https://www.foxnews.com/health/epa-temporarily-stops-enforcement-of-environmental-laws-amid-coronavirus

This is why America will get hit super *expletive deleted*ing hard.  Florida is going to be a nightmare soon.
JD

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1614 on: March 27, 2020, 08:21:31 AM »
 :facepalm:
Mexican governor sparks outrage claiming poor are 'immune' to coronavirus
https://www.foxnews.com/world/mexican-governor-sparks-outrage-claiming-poor-are-immune-to-coronavirus
- Calvin and Hobbes

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #1615 on: March 27, 2020, 08:47:38 AM »

Mardi Gras was over a month ago, before anybody knew about this.  Was Coronovirus even here in late Februrary?  OTOH, maybe foreign tourists to New Orleans brought it here -- but if that was the case I'd expect a different pattern to the explosion of cases.
"It's good, though..."

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #1616 on: March 27, 2020, 08:55:43 AM »
Mardi Gras was over a month ago, before anybody knew about this.  Was Coronovirus even here in late Februrary?  OTOH, maybe foreign tourists to New Orleans brought it here -- but if that was the case I'd expect a different pattern to the explosion of cases.

Yes, it was.
Mardi Gras certainly contributed to the spread in Louisana.  New Orleans is about to be a *expletive deleted*it show.
JD

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #1617 on: March 27, 2020, 09:26:48 AM »

Oh, okay. Something I don't pay attention to. I thought we were talking about the virus since January, though nobody paid attention back then. So certainly international travelers could have brought/taken it with them without even being aware (except for maybe Chinese tourists).

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #1618 on: March 27, 2020, 09:29:47 AM »
Yes, it was.
Mardi Gras certainly contributed to the spread in Louisana.  New Orleans is about to be a *expletive deleted*it show.

Maybe, but then wouldn't it have blown-up 2 weeks ago instead of starting now?  I think we mostly dodged a bullet with Mardi Gras.
"It's good, though..."

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #1619 on: March 27, 2020, 09:35:00 AM »
Let’s also not forget that outside of Mardi Gras New Orleans is a popular tourist destination, a cruise ship port, plus it’s quite a nasty city
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #1620 on: March 27, 2020, 09:40:27 AM »
List of countries who have reported zero cases:

https://www.foxnews.com/world/what-countries-have-not-declared-any-known-cases-coronavirus

Given the listed countries, I'm really curious about actual numbers. On the other hand, I wonder if some of them could actually be virus free just because nobody would go there. Palau is interesting because it's actually a popular tourist destination.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #1621 on: March 27, 2020, 09:47:50 AM »
How many of those countries haven't tested anyone? 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #1622 on: March 27, 2020, 09:48:53 AM »
Maybe, but then wouldn't it have blown-up 2 weeks ago instead of starting now?  I think we mostly dodged a bullet with Mardi Gras.
Maybe not cleaning up the collapsed Hard Rock Hotel was a good luck charm.   =)

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #1623 on: March 27, 2020, 09:56:57 AM »
How many of those countries haven't tested anyone? 

Yeah somehow India is reporting a really low case count.  I think in the end, we'll see India emerge as a humanitarian crisis from cases and deaths.
JD

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #1624 on: March 27, 2020, 09:58:18 AM »
Heard a report last night that the country wide mask shortage goes directly back to H1N1 and the Obama administration.
They apparently used a bunch of them up but never replaced the gubmint stockpiles.
What we have here is failure to communicate.