Author Topic: COVID-19/corona virus mega thread/prepping thread  (Read 453527 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: COVID-19/corona virus mega thread/prepping thread
« Reply #1650 on: March 27, 2020, 01:18:54 PM »
And Mardi Gras will be Trump's fault. New Orleans always picks the worst *expletive deleted*ing mayors in the country. Every one of them is a double digit IQ moron.

https://twitchy.com/dougp-3137/2020/03/27/unreal-new-orleans-mayor-blames-trump-for-mardi-gras-not-being-canceled-who-wants-to-tell-her/

"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #1651 on: March 27, 2020, 01:42:43 PM »
It’s funny how Dems have gone from “we’re not going to do what Trump wants” to “we didn’t do that because Trump didn’t tell us to” in record time.

I guess when you have friendly media telling how great you are all the time, it must go to your head and make you believe your own bs.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Pb

• friend
« Reply #1652 on: March 27, 2020, 01:48:09 PM »
And Mardi Gras will be Trump's fault. New Orleans always picks the worst *expletive deleted*ing mayors in the country. Every one of them is a double single digit IQ moron.

https://twitchy.com/dougp-3137/2020/03/27/unreal-new-orleans-mayor-blames-trump-for-mardi-gras-not-being-canceled-who-wants-to-tell-her/

That mayor is so dumb I had to alter your statement a little.   ;/

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #1653 on: March 27, 2020, 02:41:28 PM »
https://slatestarcodex.com/2020/03/27/coronalinks-3-27-20/

Lots of good info here, but brings up some anomalies for us, to whit:

The third world

…is in really deep trouble, isn’t it?

The numbers say it isn’t. Less developed countries are doing fine. Nigeria only has 65 cases. Ethiopia, 12 cases. Sudan only has three!

But they probably just aren’t testing enough. San Diego has 337 diagnosed cases right now. The equally-sized Mexican city of Tijuana, so close by that San Diegans and Tijuanans play volleyball over the border fence, has 10. If we assume that the real numbers are more similar (can we assume this?), then Mexico is undercounting by a factor of 30 relative to the US, which is itself undercounting by a factor of 10 or so. This would suggest Mexico has the same number of cases as eg Britain, which doesn’t seem so far off to me (Mexico has twice as many people).
Nigeria and Mexico and so on make me confused in the same way as Japan – why aren’t they already so bad that they can’t hide it? If the very poorest countries in sub-Saharan Africa were suffering a full-scale coronavirus epidemic, would we definitely know? In Liberia, only 3% of people are aged above 65 (in the US, it’s 16%). It only has one doctor per 100,000 people (in the US, it’s one per 400) – what does “hospital overcrowding” even mean in a situation like that? I don’t think a full-scale epidemic could stay completely hidden forever, but maybe it could be harder to notice we would naively expect.

Prior to this excerpt, he also goes into how Japan has basically done nothing (still crowded trains going into work, for instance) and they aren't collapsing.

Food for thought.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #1654 on: March 27, 2020, 02:58:49 PM »
In regards to third world countries:

Some of them are pretty far off the regularly beaten track. It may take awhile for the virus to get there.

Poor people outside of cities would have pretty limited contact with the outside world.

There is going to be not just lack of testing, but lack of medical care available. Many will die in their homes, be buried and the details not hit what passes for a system for awhile.

I doubt we will know the impact in some places until long after this is over and even then, some details are going to be fuzzy. 
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

fifth_column

• friend
« Reply #1655 on: March 27, 2020, 03:10:54 PM »
https://slatestarcodex.com/2020/03/27/coronalinks-3-27-20/

Lots of good info here, but brings up some anomalies for us, to whit:

Prior to this excerpt, he also goes into how Japan has basically done nothing (still crowded trains going into work, for instance) and they aren't collapsing.

Food for thought.

From what I understand, the Japanese already practice what we would call social distancing.  They bow, rather than shake hands, have a lot of personal space, aren't very touchy-feely, etc.  And they're used to wearing masks if they're sick, in order to prevent spreading it to others.  They're fastidiously neat as well, and wash their hands frequently.  I've never been there, this is information I've heard from someone living there as an explanation for the low incidences of covid.

Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will... The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress. ― Frederick Douglass

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people.  -  Catherine Engelbrecht

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #1656 on: March 27, 2020, 03:14:28 PM »
They bow, rather than shake hands, have a lot of personal space, aren't very touchy-feely, etc.  And they're used to wearing masks if they're sick, in order to prevent spreading it to others.  They're fastidiously neat as well, and wash their hands frequently.  I've never been there, this is information I've heard from someone living there as an explanation for the low incidences of covid.

That was not my experience when I visited. The rest, yes, but it was pretty crowded to my (US) sensibilities.  I think we have some members that have spent more time there than I that could chime in.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #1657 on: March 27, 2020, 04:09:48 PM »
From what I understand, the Japanese already practice what we would call social distancing.  They bow, rather than shake hands, have a lot of personal space, aren't very touchy-feely, etc.  And they're used to wearing masks if they're sick, in order to prevent spreading it to others.  They're fastidiously neat as well, and wash their hands frequently.  I've never been there, this is information I've heard from someone living there as an explanation for the low incidences of covid.

More on that:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BuIsZjjbE3c
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #1659 on: March 27, 2020, 04:21:20 PM »
That was not my experience when I visited. The rest, yes, but it was pretty crowded to my (US) sensibilities.  I think we have some members that have spent more time there than I that could chime in.

Also never been, but from pictures I see of their trains and stuff, seems like a lot of their public transport gets pretty cozy.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #1660 on: March 27, 2020, 04:45:05 PM »
Trump orders GM to prioritize ventilators over cars.

https://twitchy.com/gregp-3534/2020/03/27/breaking-trump-invokes-dpa-orders-gm-to-start-making-ventilators/

In this case I'm kinda fine with the gov interference, given all our tax money that went to GM for their bailout while Ford took care of themselves. Also, while only alluded to in the article, it kinda looks like GM wanted to gouge some extra dough out of the deal during the standard negotiations.

zahc

• friend
« Reply #1661 on: March 27, 2020, 05:09:18 PM »
Also never been, but from pictures I see of their trains and stuff, seems like a lot of their public transport gets pretty cozy.

Been to Japan many many times. My Western point of comparison is German, Belgian, French cities, as well as America.

Japanese spaces are small and cramped, and people are accustomed to crowding together. So I would not give them any advantage on physical proximity, if anything it may be slightly worse. However, almost everything else about Japan would be better: systematic facemasks, bowing, frequently cleaning everything squeaky clean in public spaces, toilets segregated from bathing spaces. Literally all toilets have water spray functions. They are still taking off/changing shoes at most houses, most traditional restaurants, and change shoes again when going into the bathrooms. Even schools and factories change to indoor shoes immediately before entry. Japan has no PDA and even holding hands is rare to see. They do eat eggs, meat and seafood raw, but never walk around eating or drinking. Smoking is common but not universal anymore. Water fountains do not exist, cheap and common vending machines fill in.

In Europe cities I would say you have all of the crowding and none of the hygiene. They cram into trains and busses just the same except the trains, busses and stations are basically filthy by Japanese standards. Don't even mention the restrooms. They also go around eating in public, shaking hands, kissing everyone they meet, and also smoking. In America we add hugging, add eating food with our hands, add obesity, add walking around constantly with coffee or Big Gulps, and subtract smoking, kissing, and most public transport.

Overall I would say if Japan turns out to be better I would say the 6FT rule is bogus, but just clean everything obsessively and don't touch anyone. So Nikola Tesla was right basically.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #1662 on: March 27, 2020, 05:31:44 PM »
Trump orders GM to prioritize ventilators over cars.

https://twitchy.com/gregp-3534/2020/03/27/breaking-trump-invokes-dpa-orders-gm-to-start-making-ventilators/

In this case I'm kinda fine with the gov interference, given all our tax money that went to GM for their bailout while Ford took care of themselves. Also, while only alluded to in the article, it kinda looks like GM wanted to gouge some extra dough out of the deal during the standard negotiations.

I'll give Ford props since they are already working on ventilators and other PPE in conjunction with 3M and GE Healthcare.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #1663 on: March 27, 2020, 06:27:36 PM »
In regards to third world countries:

Some of them are pretty far off the regularly beaten track. It may take awhile for the virus to get there.

Poor people outside of cities would have pretty limited contact with the outside world.

There is going to be not just lack of testing, but lack of medical care available. Many will die in their homes, be buried and the details not hit what passes for a system for awhile.

I doubt we will know the impact in some places until long after this is over and even then, some details are going to be fuzzy. 

I think you're onto something there.  A lot less contact in many circles.  The west and China/Asia are super connected.  And when some small company in BumFlop, USA sends a rep to their supplier in China...well you get spread.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #1664 on: March 27, 2020, 06:28:56 PM »
Made in China
Wonder if they were using the same test kits in China?

March 10: Kyiv Mayor Klitschko posts pic of coronavirus tests that arrived in Ukraine, promising more to come.

Turns out the tests are Chinese-made Bioeasy, the same company Spain found to be only 30% accurate and sent back to China. pic.twitter.com/MLfZgA2CZK

— Christopher Miller (@ChristopherJM) March 27, 2020

China reportedly sold Spain 640,000 COVID-19 test kits that don't work https://t.co/D6FouM97dB

— Twitchy Team (@TwitchyTeam) March 26, 2020
https://twitchy.com/gregp-3534/2020/03/27/add-ukraine-to-the-list-of-countries-that-received-the-piece-of-crap-covid-19-tests-from-china/
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

bedlamite

• friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #1667 on: March 27, 2020, 06:34:25 PM »
https://www.indiewire.com/2020/03/china-movie-theaters-shut-down-coronavirus-1202220888/

Hmmmm....

Unpossible. Our Hollywood celebrities have told us that China has everything under control and zero cases, unlike the evil, racist US.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #1668 on: March 27, 2020, 06:41:40 PM »
A little humor in the time of the virus.  :rofl:

https://twitter.com/i/status/1243615256661934080

Angel Eyes

• friend
  • You're not diggin'

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #1670 on: March 27, 2020, 09:25:39 PM »
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Angel Eyes

• friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #1671 on: March 27, 2020, 09:27:59 PM »

bedlamite

• friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #1673 on: March 27, 2020, 10:29:44 PM »
I'd just like to point out that some stores, such as Menards, may have RV/marine toilet paper in a separate (possibly unnoticed) section of the store.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #1674 on: March 27, 2020, 10:40:17 PM »
If they're anything like the local Walmart, that's gone too.

And I've used that stuff.  Single ply at best.  Ended up using 2x the normal amount.