Author Topic: COVID-19/corona virus mega thread/prepping thread  (Read 453798 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: COVID-19/corona virus mega thread/prepping thread
« Reply #1925 on: April 03, 2020, 12:46:35 PM »
So a lot of restaurants have been going to take-out, and I was making use of that, if for nothing else, to support my local businesses, but I noticed today, two of them (out of three) aren't even doing that right now. Curious if other restaurants are shutting down the to-go stuff. For mine, it might have just not been worth staying open considering the small customer base. One of them I guess took it as an opportunity to close for a couple of weeks and remodel.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #1927 on: April 03, 2020, 01:09:34 PM »
"It's good, though..."

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #1928 on: April 03, 2020, 01:15:06 PM »
Story requires a $50/yr membership to read.

Not with Firefox and NoScript.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #1929 on: April 03, 2020, 01:23:04 PM »

Or just hit refresh and "stop" before it finishes refreshing. Takes a couple of tries sometimes.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #1930 on: April 03, 2020, 01:26:45 PM »

Thanks for that.  It reminded me to try Internet Explorer. :)
"It's good, though..."

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #1931 on: April 03, 2020, 01:34:06 PM »
So a lot of restaurants have been going to take-out, and I was making use of that, if for nothing else, to support my local businesses, but I noticed today, two of them (out of three) aren't even doing that right now. Curious if other restaurants are shutting down the to-go stuff. For mine, it might have just not been worth staying open considering the small customer base. One of them I guess took it as an opportunity to close for a couple of weeks and remodel.

In my experience, most restaurants that "close to remodel" never reopen.  It's just a euphemism for going out of business.
We've permanently lost quite a few small restaurants in this area already.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #1932 on: April 03, 2020, 01:39:39 PM »
Katie shut down her shop. She's got enough to cover expenses for two months. Without either assistance (which looks like she may not get in time) or being able to reopen, the business will be lost.

I imagine a lot of places are going to go down the tubes quicker than that.

(Oh, FYI, if you applied for the loans in anticipation for the bailouts before April 1st, you have to redo it all on the "new, improved website". Katie wouldn't have known that if she hadn't called to check on the status of things. They did not make notifications that they were redoing the system)
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #1934 on: April 03, 2020, 05:45:50 PM »
Behold your media America!
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #1935 on: April 03, 2020, 05:53:53 PM »

More proof the far right controls American media. Vote Nader man!
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #1936 on: April 03, 2020, 06:22:58 PM »
https://twitchy.com/samj-3930/2020/04/03/bombshell-jim-geraghty-shares-fact-filled-thread-showing-covid-19-likely-did-not-come-from-huanan-seafood-market/

Some interesting info regarding people researching viruses in bats.

Conceivable.  I heard somewhere that they had discovered over 20 viruses in China that could jump from bats to people.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #1937 on: April 03, 2020, 06:25:24 PM »

The media was against the war before they were for the war.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #1938 on: April 03, 2020, 06:35:55 PM »
Plus the clothes you wear are just as susceptible as a mask. I don't seen anyone out and about that's doing, "wear it once and burn it" with their clothes.

But a lot of people are doing "strip in the garage as soon as you get home."
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #1939 on: April 03, 2020, 06:37:16 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VielSUhG-40
Are World Pandemics Connected to Solar Activity?

Interesting idea, but maybe not related to current events.  I think I recall reading someone speculating about Spanish Flu.  I think they said it seemed to appear all over the world at about the same time.  Others may disagree I guess. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #1942 on: April 04, 2020, 12:08:37 AM »
California is pressuring gun shops to shut down during the COVID-19 outbreak.  The NRA and other groups are fighting back:

https://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/Bay-Area-gun-stores-closed-Second-Amendment-COVID-15177177.php

"California’s local governments cannot simply suspend the Constitution," the lawsuit states. "Authorities may not, by decree or otherwise, enact and/or enforce a suspension or deprivation of constitutional liberties. And they certainly may not use a public health crisis as political cover to impose bans and restrictions on rights they do not like."

(... but apparently the Feds can?)
"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #1943 on: April 04, 2020, 08:47:05 AM »
I kinda like the medieval "plague doctor" look, with the bird mask, wide-brim hat, and a cane.  Lots of bird masks on Amazon. (No link provided. Look up plague doctor, it's fascinating)
"It's good, though..."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #1944 on: April 04, 2020, 08:59:06 AM »
I kinda like the medieval "plague doctor" look, with the bird mask, wide-brim hat, and a cane.  Lots of bird masks on Amazon. (No link provided. Look up plague doctor, it's fascinating)

This just seems like the perfect time for people to walk around dressed like post-apocalyptic characters. I'm really hoping for "mandatory masks and protective clothing."  :laugh:

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #1945 on: April 04, 2020, 09:18:05 AM »
I kinda agree with 3M here (though not completely - their CEO was kinda mealy-mouthed). This is a two-way street. Not sending masks to Canada, for example, could get Canada to say "FU" and not send us the material to make the masks in the first place. Seems like we could come up with something reasonable like 70% domestic, 30% export, that could be reevaluated as needed. Especially considering other countries sending us needed supplies.

I'd be kinda ticked (Berlin, as an example) if I paid for the product and then it was simply confiscated en-route by the US.

https://twitchy.com/gregp-3534/2020/04/04/gary-sinise-has-harsh-words-for-3m-says-what-happened-to-were-all-in-this-together/

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #1947 on: April 04, 2020, 01:51:42 PM »
Some of y’all need this mask
dengchengbaby Female Black Leather Hollow Ball Blindfolded https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07T4JY8K6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_uKmIEbHAT1N63
JD

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #1948 on: April 04, 2020, 06:58:18 PM »
Some perspective:

https://www.health.gov.au/news/health-alerts/novel-coronavirus-2019-ncov-health-alert/coronavirus-covid-19-current-situation-and-case-numbers

Australia isn't having community transmission.

Almost all of their cases were acquired overseas. Looks like summer is a killer for this virus.

Can we cut down on killing the economy in the warmer States, now?

(Also might help explain why Cali isn't anywhere near as bad as NY, when their horrid urban conditions suggest it should be at least as bad...)
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
« Reply #1949 on: April 04, 2020, 08:51:07 PM »
Australia isn't having community transmission.
Can we cut down on killing the economy in the warmer States, now?
I would start by looking at what they did and decide if we can/should emulate them.
To ensure compliance, state authorities enacted sweeping powers to impose hefty fines and potential jail terms on anybody breaching rules that include a ban on public meetings of more than just two people.

“We acted much earlier than the likes of Italy and the United States,” Collignon told Reuters. “We had much less community transmission and we still shut our borders and implemented social distancing policies such as shutting down bars and pubs, and did much more testing.”

Like many countries, Australia’s financial and jobs markets have been roiled by the outbreak, prompting the government to unveil several stimulus packages.

Prime Minister Scott Morrison said 113,000 businesses had registered for a A$130 billion ($80 billion) six-month wage subsidy designed to stop spiraling unemployment and business closures.

The “job keeper” allowance has brought the country’s coronavirus-related stimulus so far to A$320 billion, or about 15% of Australia’s gross domestic product, as economists forecast the country’s first recession in almost three decades.
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.