Author Topic: COVID-19/corona virus mega thread/prepping thread  (Read 453391 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: COVID-19/corona virus mega thread/prepping thread
« Reply #2100 on: April 09, 2020, 11:12:39 AM »
Actually a warmer damper environment would be better for human pathogen survivability outside a host. Winters are bad for us since our bodies are already stressed with keeping warm.

That's not what they're saying about the beer virus.

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/how-humidity-may-affect-covid-19-outcome
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #2101 on: April 09, 2020, 11:17:11 AM »
That's not what they're saying about the beer virus.

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/how-humidity-may-affect-covid-19-outcome

From the article you linked

However, the researchers note that too much outdoor humidity can also support viral spread. For instance, in tropical areas, airborne droplets that contain the virus fall on indoor surfaces, where the virus can survive for longer periods.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2102 on: April 09, 2020, 11:21:42 AM »
From the article you linked

Also from the article:

First, they say that when cold, dry air comes indoors and is warmed, the relative humidity indoors drops by about 20%. Such a drop in humidity makes it easier for airborne viral particles to travel.

That said, the review concludes that studies in mice suggest that a relative humidity of 40–60% is ideal for containing the virus.

“That’s why I recommend humidifiers during the winter in buildings,” says the study’s senior author.

Other studies in mice also found that an environment of 50% relative humidity contributed to good viral clearance and an efficient immune response.

40%-60% humidity doesn't happen east of the short grass prairie in the US during the summer.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2020, 12:03:43 PM by charby »
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #2103 on: April 09, 2020, 11:26:02 AM »
As a general rule heat and humidity is not good for viruses. They are encased in a lipid layer that breaks down in heat and humidity. Influenza breaks down about 80 degrees but SARS if I recall takes about 130 degrees. This one may be more like SARS, only time and research will tell.

bob

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2104 on: April 09, 2020, 11:30:26 AM »
"but SARS if I recall takes about 130 degrees."

That's interesting and telling, given where SARS and MERS are thought to have originated.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #2106 on: April 09, 2020, 12:04:44 PM »
Also from the article:

40%-60% humidity doesn't happen east of the short grass prairie in the US during the summer.

Sorry, hit the wrong button my reply Ben.

Uranus is a gas giant.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #2107 on: April 09, 2020, 12:05:43 PM »
As a general rule heat and humidity is not good for viruses. They are encased in a lipid layer that breaks down in heat and humidity. Influenza breaks down about 80 degrees but SARS if I recall takes about 130 degrees. This one may be more like SARS, only time and research will tell.

bob

SARS, MERS, and Covid-19 are all coronaviruses.

Uranus is a gas giant.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2108 on: April 09, 2020, 12:08:47 PM »
Sorry, hit the wrong button my reply Ben.

Yeah, sure. I knew you worked for CNN. :P  :laugh:

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #2109 on: April 09, 2020, 12:19:27 PM »
SARS, MERS, and Covid-19 are all coronaviruses.

As is the common cold and and other respiratory illnesses. There are presently 7 coronavirus types that can cause illness in humans. More in animals that will someday probably jump to humans. I can't help but have this nagging feeling that there was a lot of research into SARS and MERS that was defunded once the acute phase of the diseases passed. I can't prove it or find anything about it, just a gut feeling.

bob

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #2110 on: April 09, 2020, 12:23:51 PM »
Wait, what?
On one hand I can understand why they're doing this but on the other hand no. Is this even legal?

“The form says they are preemptively deducting funds from our paychecks. That number is based on what they’re anticipating the government relief fund to be,” a worker for the company told KXAN. The worker asked not to be identified in this investigation so as not to impact his company’s ability to continue doing business.
The company would also take half of the $500 stipend allotted for dependents under the bill.

Texas company looking to dock paychecks for those receiving stimulus checks
https://wgno.com/news/health/coronavirus/texas-company-looking-to-dock-paychecks-for-those-receiving-stimulus-checks-tmw/
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #2111 on: April 09, 2020, 12:25:47 PM »
As is the common cold and and other respiratory illnesses. There are presently 7 coronavirus types that can cause illness in humans. More in animals that will someday probably jump to humans. I can't help but have this nagging feeling that there was a lot of research into SARS and MERS that was defunded once the acute phase of the diseases passed. I can't prove it or find anything about it, just a gut feeling.

bob

Most common colds are rhinoviruses.

I don't disagree with you on you defunding research on SARS and MERS. Yep, more diseases are going to be problems are the world keeps getting smaller. Easy to see in plant pests and diseases (part of my career).

Uranus is a gas giant.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #2112 on: April 09, 2020, 12:26:19 PM »

bob

https://youtu.be/aXW9cDN0IpY?t=160
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #2113 on: April 09, 2020, 12:30:15 PM »
Wait, what?
On one hand I can understand why they're doing this but on the other hand no. Is this even legal?

Texas company looking to dock paychecks for those receiving stimulus checks
https://wgno.com/news/health/coronavirus/texas-company-looking-to-dock-paychecks-for-those-receiving-stimulus-checks-tmw/

I think we are going to see a lot of very ugly court cases in the future addressing things like this. Lawyers are going to get rich.

I also think if the Covid-19 lockdowns continue you're going to see a labor movement uprising again.

Uranus is a gas giant.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2114 on: April 09, 2020, 08:52:11 PM »

Obviously if Hillary was president stuff like this wouldn't happen seems to be the MSM spin on this

They're reading my mind! Need mor tin-foil!  [tinfoil]

WaPo contributor checks out how the COVID-19 pandemic is going on Earth 2 with President Hillary Clinton
https://twitchy.com/brettt-3136/2020/04/09/wapo-contributor-checks-out-how-the-covid-19-pandemic-is-going-on-earth-2-with-president-hillary-clinton/
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #2115 on: April 09, 2020, 09:14:54 PM »
They're reading my mind! Need mor tin-foil!  [tinfoil]

WaPo contributor checks out how the COVID-19 pandemic is going on Earth 2 with President Hillary Clinton
https://twitchy.com/brettt-3136/2020/04/09/wapo-contributor-checks-out-how-the-covid-19-pandemic-is-going-on-earth-2-with-president-hillary-clinton/

I picture alternate Earth* President HRC with a wheezing Darth Vader breathing mask, and a powered exoskeleton providing medical support.

---------------------------------------------------------------
*S. M. Stirling's Draka-verse, perhaps?
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #2116 on: April 09, 2020, 09:43:02 PM »
"Reporting residents and businesses will not be required to donate their supplies of personal protective equipment, but county officials encourage them to do so..."

Yeah, sure.  And if not enough residents donate PPE, men with guns will eventually come to confiscate it.

For what it's worth, I read the actual order. There is an exception for individuals possessing quantities far greater than what I would expect even the most ardent prepper to keep on hand.

That doesn't mitigate my concerns about the .gov stealing supplies from entities that purchased them for their own needs, but at least I don't think it's going to result in the SWAT team kicking down your grandmother's door at oh-dark-thirty because she has three masks and she's only "allowed" to have one.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #2117 on: April 09, 2020, 09:47:54 PM »

Say WHAAAT?

You have obviously never lived on the east coast.

https://www.currentresults.com/Weather/US/humidity-by-state-in-summer.php
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #2118 on: April 09, 2020, 09:48:54 PM »

"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2119 on: April 09, 2020, 10:01:50 PM »
"40%-60% humidity doesn't happen east of the short grass prairie in the US during the summer."

BBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Having lived in Washington, DC, metro for the past 30 years I can definitively tell you that it is a GLORIOUSLY REFRESHING summer day if the humidity drops below 60% goddamned percent.

Most of the time around here in the summer the humidity is so thick that it's easier to breath at the bottom of a swimming pool.

The average... AVERAGE relative humidity in July in DC is 67%, and a significant portion of the time it is well in excess of that at the hottest part of the day.

In the days before air conditioning many European nations considered a diplomatic posting to DC to be a tropical posting because summers were so brutal here.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2120 on: April 09, 2020, 10:08:41 PM »
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2121 on: April 09, 2020, 10:22:37 PM »
[img]https://scontent-sjc3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/fr/cp0/e15/q65/92265098_122244902738692_900562356008910848_n.jpg?_nc_cat=108&_nc_sid=110474&efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9&_nc_ohc=5pCEh0rGrjgAX_kaTxl&_nc_ht=scontent-sjc3-1.xx&_nc_tp=14&oh=3c9253687dcbd93f1f83a57f31ebbf7e&oe=5EB4C783

Man, that's my expression every day since February.  :laugh:

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2122 on: April 10, 2020, 08:20:55 AM »
According to this the virus could be far more widespread than is generally known which I would guess would go along with the 80% experience little to no symptoms data

Coronavirus was detected in Massachusetts sewage at higher levels than expected, suggesting there are many more undiagnosed patients than previously known, according to a new study.
The researchers, along with a team from Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Harvard, and Brigham and Women’s Hospital, analyzed the samples and found the number of coronavirus particles was on par with if there were 2,300 people infected with the virus.

But at the time of tests, there were only 446 confirmed cases in the region, according to the study.

Coronavirus traces found in Massachusetts wastewater at levels far higher than expected
https://www.foxnews.com/health/coronavirus-traces-found-in-massachusetts-wastewater-at-levels-far-higher-than-expected
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #2123 on: April 10, 2020, 08:44:40 AM »
We really need widespread antibody testing so we can get this *expletive deleted*it over with and get back to whatever sense of normality we can.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #2124 on: April 10, 2020, 09:29:59 AM »
We really need widespread antibody testing so we can get this *expletive deleted*it over with and get back to whatever sense of normality we can.
Even if they don't, they need to switch over from EVERYONE sheltering in place to just those at risk and everyone else get back to business. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge