Author Topic: COVID-19/corona virus mega thread/prepping thread  (Read 453285 times)

MechAg94

• friend
Re: COVID-19/corona virus mega thread/prepping thread
« Reply #2125 on: April 10, 2020, 09:31:26 AM »
Or in Kentucky
Or anywhere on the Gulf Coast though the Texas Gulf Coast may not be East. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
« Reply #2126 on: April 10, 2020, 09:41:35 AM »
switch over from EVERYONE sheltering in place to just those at risk and everyone else get back to business. 
Sweden has been trying that, so far it hasn't been a disaster but it will be worth keeping an eye on.
https://www.nationalreview.com/corner/coronavirus-policy-sweden-claims-success-premature/
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2020/04/08/is-swedens-lax-approach-coronavirus-backfiring/
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #2127 on: April 10, 2020, 10:20:40 AM »
Say WHAAAT?

You have obviously never lived on the east coast.

https://www.currentresults.com/Weather/US/humidity-by-state-in-summer.php

That was my point, it's a lot higher than that, pathogen loving soup.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
« Reply #2128 on: April 10, 2020, 10:29:23 AM »
In addition to the death toll and the economic crisis, we'll likely get a big expansion of the surveillance state too.   =|
Redfield said it would be "premature" for him to specify how exactly the CDC will do this and how much staffing it plans to put in place. But he said an announcement will come in the near future. "Obviously, if we're going to try to get this nation back to work shortly after the end of this month, we're far along in those planning processes as we speak," he said.

Other places — such as South Korea, Singapore and Hong Kong — that have been praised for success in "flattening the curve" of coronavirus infections have used methods for contact tracing that might not fly in the U.S. because of privacy concerns. For instance, South Korea uses a variety of tools such as surveillance cameras, cellphone data and credit card transactions of suspected cases to help map transmission.

Redfield left the door open for contact tracing in the U.S. to employ cellphone data. "People are looking at all the different modern technology that could be brought to bear to make contact tracing more efficient and effective," he said. "Are there more tech-savvy ways to be more comprehensive in contact tracing? Currently these things are under aggressive evaluation."

He added that ultimately it will be up to state and local public health departments to determine how to do contact tracing. The CDC is there, Redfield said, to offer technical assistance and to "augment personnel substantially."
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #2130 on: April 10, 2020, 11:09:01 AM »
There is a large grocery distribution center at the bottom of the hill about a half mile away.  It has been bustling with activity all the way through this whole CV event as though nothing had changed.  Trucks were coming and going 24/7, product coming in and goods going out to stores.
Today it is dead, no activity at all.  Someone probably sneezed.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #2131 on: April 10, 2020, 11:30:30 AM »
Meanwhile in NY

Aerial images show New York ramping up burials as officials grapple with coronavirus death toll
https://www.foxnews.com/us/aerial-images-new-york-hart-island-burials-coronavirus

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #2132 on: April 10, 2020, 11:30:42 AM »
There is a large grocery distribution center at the bottom of the hill about a half mile away.  It has been bustling with activity all the way through this whole CV event as though nothing had changed.  Trucks were coming and going 24/7, product coming in and goods going out to stores.
Today it is dead, no activity at all.  Someone probably sneezed.
Did they have a driver in Kentucky?

http://www.armedpolitesociety.com/index.php?topic=62117.0
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2133 on: April 10, 2020, 11:33:08 AM »
Did they have a driver in Kentucky?

http://www.armedpolitesociety.com/index.php?topic=62117.0

Occurred in Tennessee and the suspect is from NC
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #2134 on: April 10, 2020, 11:34:09 AM »
Tennessee
I was close, but I guess that is a big difference.   =D

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2135 on: April 10, 2020, 11:35:28 AM »
I was close, but I guess that is a big difference.   =D

What keeps Kentucky from falling into Tennessee?
Indiana sucks.
- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #2136 on: April 10, 2020, 11:36:18 AM »
Meanwhile in NY

Aerial images show New York ramping up burials as officials grapple with coronavirus death toll
https://www.foxnews.com/us/aerial-images-new-york-hart-island-burials-coronavirus

Why don't they just cremate those bodies?  They could also go a bit deeper if they are just going to stack them anyway.  

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #2137 on: April 10, 2020, 11:38:30 AM »
From the comments of that Fox article.
Another fake news story.....allow me to explain.

So far there has been 17,000 deaths in the US from the coronavirus, the 1st death was on March 1st.
There have been 41 days of people dying......that is an average of 414 people a day dying of the coronvirus.
Last year during the flu season there were 80,000 deaths and run primarily in December to February.....the average day of deaths to the flu is 888....double what the coronavirus is...does anyone remember the stories of all the dead bodies lying around during the flu season and the struggle to bury them?

When you include all of the deaths in the US for every reason we actually average 7,700 deaths a day.....are we supposed to believe that with an increase of 6% that we can't handle it.

The media including Foxnews should be ashamed of themselves for doing this fake news story.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #2138 on: April 10, 2020, 11:43:04 AM »

He's probably right, to a degree.  But the average number is not really relevant, what matters is the peak [so far] number.
"It's good, though..."

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2139 on: April 10, 2020, 11:44:11 AM »

These people just can't seem to get it into their heads that the intent is to keep the numbers not much worst then the flu.
Damned if you do, damned if you don't
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2140 on: April 10, 2020, 11:47:19 AM »
Kind of like saying
What's the point of fighting a house fire when the fire will eventually go out on it's own.
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2141 on: April 10, 2020, 11:54:32 AM »
Just chatted with a retired O-5 buddy of mine. His comment was that Bin Laden must be spinning in his grave. He used a dozen guys with box cutters instead of a dozen guys with a virus.

"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #2142 on: April 10, 2020, 12:11:30 PM »
Why don't they just cremate those bodies?  They could also go a bit deeper if they are just going to stack them anyway.  

The bodies don't belong to the state, they belong to someone. Storing until claimed.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

fifth_column

• friend
« Reply #2143 on: April 10, 2020, 12:25:35 PM »

I had assumed cremation would be mandated.  Guess not . . .
Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will... The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress. ― Frederick Douglass

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people.  -  Catherine Engelbrecht

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2144 on: April 10, 2020, 12:31:37 PM »
I had assumed cremation would be mandated.  Guess not . . .

Greta: How dare you!
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2145 on: April 10, 2020, 12:42:48 PM »
Whoops  :rofl:

CNN coronavirus town hall accidentally features Trump Derangement Syndrome question
https://www.foxnews.com/media/cnn-town-hall-trump-derangement-syndrome-question
- Calvin and Hobbes

Perd Hapley

• friend

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #2147 on: April 10, 2020, 01:38:57 PM »

Apparently, this is racist now.  ;/

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #2148 on: April 10, 2020, 01:42:11 PM »
^^^^^

Only if you coach football for a team in the South. Everyone else can figure it there isn't anything racist about it but hey, why let a good opportunity to shout "He's Racist" go to waste!!

bob

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #2149 on: April 10, 2020, 03:41:43 PM »
^^^^^

Only if you coach football for a team in the South. Everyone else can figure it there isn't anything racist about it but hey, why let a good opportunity to shout "He's Racist" go to waste!!

bob

So only Southerners are dumb? ???