Author Topic: COVID-19/corona virus mega thread/prepping thread  (Read 453023 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: COVID-19/corona virus mega thread/prepping thread
« Reply #2150 on: April 10, 2020, 05:23:29 PM »
I think this is still virus related. Cuomo sounds an awful lot like a conservative here.

Cuomo, on WAMC, says there are "downsides" to voting by mail: "It's a harder system to administer, and obviously it's a harder system to police writ large. People showing up, people actually showing ID, is still the easiest system to assure total integrity."

https://twitchy.com/gregp-3534/2020/04/10/gov-andrew-cuomo-sure-does-sound-a-lot-like-president-trump-on-voting-by-mail/
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #2152 on: April 10, 2020, 05:42:11 PM »
These people just can't seem to get it into their heads that the intent is to keep the numbers not much worst then the flu.
Damned if you do, damned if you don't
So far, the flu still worse.  Is that because we are taking all these steps and doctors are learning how to treat it?   Or is that because it isn't quite as bad as they thought?  We'll see.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2153 on: April 10, 2020, 08:55:24 PM »
Interesting theory. California might have developed herd immunity through undetected infection last year that was just bundled into flu season.

https://abc7news.com/coronavirus-covid-19-herd-immunity-california/6091220/

Edit: Herd, not hard. Was typing on my phone.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2020, 09:24:44 PM by Ben »

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #2154 on: April 10, 2020, 09:21:38 PM »
Interesting theory. California might have developed hard immunity through undetected infection last year that was just bundled into flu season.

https://abc7news.com/coronavirus-covid-19-herd-immunity-california/6091220/

Different link:
https://abc7news.com/health/coronavirus-herd-immunity-in-california-doctor-shares-his-thoughts/6093881/
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #2155 on: April 10, 2020, 09:34:15 PM »
Tomorrow morning during early senior shopping hour, I plan to put on a gun, a mask, nitrile gloves, and go to Walmart for a cheap countertop microwave. Should I stop and pay for it or just let the the wardrobe work for me?
Actually I’m getting it for a lady that will transition from nursing home back to her apartment next week. She broke her hip pre Covid 7 weeks ago and has been recovering. I’m her POA and help her out when she needs it because she has no family within 1000 miles. She has about 4’ of counter in a tiny senior subsidize housing unit and kept her old microwave taking up half her counter because the clock still worked.  :facepalm:
Her apartment is clean and uncluttered and supplied with necessities because my wife and I worked in there cleaning for 2 days and bought her new curtains, a couple lamps, new mattress cover, pillows, a vacuumed that works, etc.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #2156 on: April 10, 2020, 09:46:46 PM »
Tomorrow morning during early senior shopping hour, I plan to put on a gun, a mask, nitrile gloves, and go to Walmart for a cheap countertop microwave. Should I stop and pay for it or just let the the wardrobe work for me?
Actually I’m getting it for a lady that will transition from nursing home back to her apartment next week. She broke her hip pre Covid 7 weeks ago and has been recovering. I’m her POA and help her out when she needs it because she has no family within 1000 miles. She has about 4’ of counter in a tiny senior subsidize housing unit and kept her old microwave taking up half her counter because the clock still worked.  :facepalm:
Her apartment is clean and uncluttered and supplied with necessities because my wife and I worked in there cleaning for 2 days and bought her new curtains, a couple lamps, new mattress cover, pillows, a vacuumed that works, etc.

Good on you for helping out.

Why not just take it? No fingerprints, no way they can ID you, and if they try to stop you just shoot them. We're all gonna die anyhow.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #2157 on: April 10, 2020, 10:21:55 PM »
The bodies don't belong to the state, they belong to someone. Storing until claimed.

... Are there measures being taken to preserve the bodies? Otherwise I don't think it's really healthy to reclaim them...  [barf] And even then, it's not a job I'd want.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #2158 on: April 10, 2020, 10:25:02 PM »

... Are there measures being taken to preserve the bodies? Otherwise I don't think it's really healthy to reclaim them...  [barf] And even then, it's not a job I'd want.

Can C19 survive the Soylent Green process?
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #2159 on: April 11, 2020, 03:07:22 AM »
From the comments of that Fox article.

Another fake news story.....allow me to explain.

So far there has been 17,000 deaths in the US from the coronavirus, the 1st death was on March 1st.
There have been 41 days of people dying......that is an average of 414 people a day dying of the coronvirus.
Last year during the flu season there were 80,000 deaths and run primarily in December to February.....the average day of deaths to the flu is 888....double what the coronavirus is...does anyone remember the stories of all the dead bodies lying around during the flu season and the struggle to bury them?

When you include all of the deaths in the US for every reason we actually average 7,700 deaths a day.....are we supposed to believe that with an increase of 6% that we can't handle it.

The media including Foxnews should be ashamed of themselves for doing this fake news story.

What homeslice in the comments has failed to take into account is that flu deaths are, more or less, evenly distributed among the population, and existing systems can handle it.  That is not true of COVID.  Let's do some very simple math:

NYC has a population of 8.6 million.  So they represent ~2.7% of the US's 320 mil. Let's say that NYC has a bunch of homeless and is dirty and are over represented in normal flu deaths, and double that.

Using that guys numbers for flu: 80,000 flu deaths*.054 for NYC's share/ (31 days in Dec+31 Days in Jan+29 Days in Feb)=47.5 deaths per day of flu in NYC.

As of today NYC has 7,067 COVID Deaths/41 days of dying=172.36 deaths per day just from COVID  Even if you assume that the normal flu isn't hitting at the same rate, NYC's respiratory disease death rate has quadrupled. 

And that's before you take into account stuff like this: https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/massive-spike-in-nyc-cardiac-arrest-deaths-seen-as-sign-of-covid-19-undercounting/2368678/

Which is why they are having problems.

People need to remember that the US is a big place, and what they see in one place isn't necessarily indicative of conditions everywhere.  Conversely precautions that are appropriate in some places are stupidly overboard in others.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #2160 on: April 11, 2020, 06:35:45 AM »
Funny, I was going to link the same article.
400% increase in “cardiac” deaths.
There’s no way that’s coincidental.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #2161 on: April 11, 2020, 06:38:05 AM »
So far, the flu still worse.  Is that because we are taking all these steps and doctors are learning how to treat it?   Or is that because it isn't quite as bad as they thought?  We'll see.

No, it’s not.  COVID accounts for more accounted for daily deaths than the flu world wide.
Also, the flu doesn’t collapse hospital systems. 
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #2162 on: April 11, 2020, 08:09:59 AM »
No, it’s not.  COVID accounts for more accounted for daily deaths than the flu world wide.

This.

Folks can quibble with math. You can’t really analyse away overflowing hospitals.

This isn’t just the flu and serious measures to stop it are clearly warranted. That doesn’t mean every extreme response makes sense, but it should be taken seriously and it is properly a life changing disease. If it’s not life changing because of isolation, it will be from wrecking medical systems and causing death.

"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2163 on: April 11, 2020, 08:25:38 AM »
Yee-Haw! Drive-thru gun shopping! Thank you Trump and virus! Trump 2020! Blood on the streets!  :lol:

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/breaking-atf-authorizes-drive-through-gun-sales-to-maintain-social-distancing/

Actually I don't see it as all that convenient. You still have to do paperwork, which most everyone does on a computer these days. Are they setting up a tent or something and people get out of their cars to fill out paperwork? Or are they handing people laptops? Seems like you're increasing chances of virus transmission. Regardless, I'm sure the term "drive-thru gun buying" is bursting liberal heads everywhere, so, win.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2164 on: April 11, 2020, 08:32:03 AM »
Yee-Haw! Drive-thru gun shopping! Thank you Trump and virus! Trump 2020! Blood on the streets!  :lol:

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/breaking-atf-authorizes-drive-through-gun-sales-to-maintain-social-distancing/

Actually I don't see it as all that convenient. You still have to do paperwork, which most everyone does on a computer these days. Are they setting up a tent or something and people get out of their cars to fill out paperwork? Or are they handing people laptops? Seems like you're increasing chances of virus transmission. Regardless, I'm sure the term "drive-thru gun buying" is bursting liberal heads everywhere, so, win.

At least one gunshop here that I know of started this a couple of weeks ago.
On a related note: Waiting on a Glock 20 at another shop, got an e-mail saying I'll have to make an appointment to pick it up when it comes in
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2165 on: April 11, 2020, 08:39:21 AM »
At least one gunshop here that I know of started this a couple of weeks ago.
On a related note: Waiting on a Glock 20 at another shop, got an e-mail saying I'll have to make an appointment to pick it up when it comes in

Yeah, I ordered an FNX45 a little over two weeks ago with a "2-3 business days" delivery via the store's website. Still waiting. Apparently their website couldn't keep up with supplier inventory changes. They are now saying 2-3 weeks for any ordered firearm. Their weekly update said that sales are slowing down now - in fact they used the word "thankfully", which you normally don't hear from people making a profit. They continue to have limits on number of customers in their store, and they currently have a [Arrested Development] "no touching!" [/Arrested Development] policy for in-store stock.

Guess  I shoulda bought this one at Cabelas, since they have them in stock at the local store, but I'm tired of all black pistols and wanted the tacticool poser FDE/black one, which is now out of stock almost everywhere.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2166 on: April 11, 2020, 10:29:21 AM »
    BREAKING: Democrat Kentucky Governor Andy Beshear is sending police to churches this weekend to record the license plates of anyone who attends Easter services and is going to force them into quarantine for 14 days https://t.co/Vv6YoLwhF7

— Ryan Saavedra (@RealSaavedra) April 11, 2020
https://twitchy.com/dougp-3137/2020/04/11/kentuckys-dem-governor-reminds-citizens-about-the-punishment-that-awaits-if-their-license-plate-is-spotted-outside-easter-church-services-or-other-mass-gatherings/
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2167 on: April 11, 2020, 10:31:47 AM »
Good point about basically having no conversation about it, and just going straight Big Brother. Also how some of these "leaders" are almost enjoying the power. Guess they figure it gives them something that makes their jobs look important.

I'm beginning to feel the same about this stuff as I do about TSA. I'd rather be blown up on a plane by a shoe bomb while remaining a free man, than being "safe" and a subject.

https://twitchy.com/dougp-3137/2020/04/11/kentuckys-dem-governor-reminds-citizens-about-the-punishment-that-awaits-if-their-license-plate-is-spotted-outside-easter-church-services-or-other-mass-gatherings/

Edit: WLJ beat me to the punch.

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #2168 on: April 11, 2020, 11:02:37 AM »
As long as a 4473 is done....why would the ATF need to authorize "drive through" sales?
JD

zahc

• friend
« Reply #2169 on: April 11, 2020, 11:07:17 AM »
I think the question is about whether the drive through counts as "on premises". There is a difference between selling a gun in the store, and selling a gun through the mail. Selling a gun through the mail usually requires the buyer to physically go to an FFL to take possession. There is a legitimate question what "physically go" means. If an FFL set up something like an Amazon locker for people to pick up guns, would that be ok? Would a drive through window be ok? Ok then what if there is a separating wall, and the buyer and seller interact over video/intercom? What if the same system is used but the buyer and seller are in different buildings or different towns? They need to clarify what remote sales means. Apparently drive-up windows and tents are kosher.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #2170 on: April 11, 2020, 11:11:45 AM »
Good point about basically having no conversation about it, and just going straight Big Brother. Also how some of these "leaders" are almost enjoying the power. Guess they figure it gives them something that makes their jobs look important.

I'm beginning to feel the same about this stuff as I do about TSA. I'd rather be blown up on a plane by a shoe bomb while remaining a free man, than being "safe" and a subject.

Edit: WLJ beat me to the punch.

I'd be interested in how exactly they intend to enforce those quarantines.  The folks at church have pretty much proven by being at church that they don't care about governmental decrees.  If you station a LEO outside all their houses to enforce a quarantine the manpower cost would be enormous, and if you decide to send cops to houses to drag people away to a quarantine facility I suspect we'll learn what the Venn diagram of "people in Kentucky that blow off .gov orders to go to church" and "People in Kentucky with guns that aren't going to peaceably leave their house" looks like.

Like what's the Governer's endgame here?  There's no way that threat ends well for him.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2171 on: April 11, 2020, 11:14:44 AM »
As long as a 4473 is done....why would the ATF need to authorize "drive through" sales?

The FFL is suppose to engage the customer to try to weed out straw purchases and spot anything else that may raise a red flag about the purchase.
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2172 on: April 11, 2020, 11:51:57 AM »
I'd be interested in how exactly they intend to enforce those quarantines.  The folks at church have pretty much proven by being at church that they don't care about governmental decrees.  If you station a LEO outside all their houses to enforce a quarantine the manpower cost would be enormous, and if you decide to send cops to houses to drag people away to a quarantine facility I suspect we'll learn what the Venn diagram of "people in Kentucky that blow off .gov orders to go to church" and "People in Kentucky with guns that aren't going to peaceably leave their house" looks like.

Like what's the Governer's endgame here?  There's no way that threat ends well for him.

Goes back the conversations we were having here well before the virus hit the MSM. What size population is too big to quarantine? At some point, operationally, you just can't do it. Also at some point, if you go over the line on your quarantines, you maybe start to learn how the United States was formed in the first place. We're not the same as the Chinese culture, and won't be welded into our homes with resignation and a smile on our face so as not to upset the armed welders.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #2173 on: April 11, 2020, 12:28:37 PM »

Covid 19 is not collapsing hospital systems .... atleast in America.   We feared it but it isn't hapoening.
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #2174 on: April 11, 2020, 12:52:56 PM »
Covid 19 is not collapsing hospital systems .... atleast in America.   We feared it but it isn't hapoening.
I was about to ask that.  I haven't heard of that happening anywhere in the US, even in New York. 

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/cases-updates/cases-in-us.html
Total cases: 459,165
Total deaths: 16,570

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden/preliminary-in-season-estimates.htm
https://www.health.com/condition/cold-flu-sinus/how-many-people-die-of-the-flu-every-year
This season CDC estimates that, as of mid-March, between 29,000 and 59,000 have died due to influenza illnesses.

So the COVID-19 stuff is still playing out and the number of deaths has not yet finished, but it isn't there yet.  We will see where it ends up. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge