Author Topic: COVID-19/corona virus mega thread/prepping thread  (Read 453766 times)

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
Re: COVID-19/corona virus mega thread/prepping thread
« Reply #2275 on: April 14, 2020, 09:46:28 AM »
DON'T CALL IT THE CHINESE VIRUS, THAT'S RACIST!!!!
Meanwhile, in China:

https://kprcradio.iheart.com/featured/walton-and-johnson/content/2020-04-13-covid19-chinese-mcdonalds-wont-serve-black-people-video/
COVID19: Chinese McDonalds Won't Serve Black People (video)

I have heard this mentioned in the last few days. 

I've read some first hand reports about the Chinese, especially the government, being openly racist and even encouraging it.

JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #2276 on: April 14, 2020, 09:52:51 AM »
I still highly doubt the weapon theory.  But as far as theescaped pathogen from a research lab theory....
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2020/04/14/state-department-cables-warned-safety-issues-wuhan-lab-studying-bat-coronaviruses/?utm_source=reddit.com
Looks more and more plausible.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #2277 on: April 14, 2020, 09:57:34 AM »
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #2278 on: April 14, 2020, 09:57:54 AM »
I still highly doubt the weapon theory.  But as far as theescaped pathogen from a research lab theory....
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2020/04/14/state-department-cables-warned-safety-issues-wuhan-lab-studying-bat-coronaviruses/?utm_source=reddit.com
Looks more and more plausible.

I agree, it doesn't seem potent enough to be a weapon and targeted at the wrong type of population.

Escaped from the lab is just a likely as wet markets. China doesn't have a great sanitary/prevention protocols. (The wet markets themselves being evidence of this...)
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #2279 on: April 14, 2020, 10:14:21 AM »
"Escaped from a lab" seems like a plausible explanation for how this virus made it into the public.  The idea of it being a weapon is very doubtful. 

I heard someone mention the bat this virus was found in is only found some distance away from Wuhan and one or more of the researchers in that lab study viruses found in bats.  There are so many "facts" going around I can't remember if I saw that somewhere or if it was just rumor. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #2280 on: April 14, 2020, 10:28:56 AM »
I may have posted this link before, but escaped from a lab is the most likely scenario.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUo1w5aSkro
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #2281 on: April 14, 2020, 10:39:08 AM »
You'd think that anyone designing a bioweapon this ineffective would be fired. But escaped from a lab? I'll buy that. The initial story was all over the place. Bat, Pangolin, who knows, it just sounded sketchy.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2282 on: April 14, 2020, 10:57:50 AM »
You'd think that anyone designing a bioweapon this ineffective would be fired. But escaped from a lab? I'll buy that. The initial story was all over the place. Bat, Pangolin, who knows, it just sounded sketchy.

While I'm still more inclined towards "escaped", I'm also inclined towards, "it doesn't have to be highly lethal". The threat of, and resulting panic seems to be enough. What we're experiencing now is a pretty successful test run for a crappy bioweapon. You don't have to kill its population to kill a country.

I'm pretty sure the info is still accurate that this was supposedly started by a rando eating a bat... just down the street from a viral research facility studying bat viruses.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #2283 on: April 14, 2020, 11:01:34 AM »

It's well known and documented that many countries, including us and China, research diseases found in animals that commonly jump to humans.  Pigs and bats seem to be the worst.  Bat viruses are aggressive, because of how bats live together.  Researches go into their habitats and pull samples from feces and animals. 
I read an article earlier in this outbreak about some researcher finding at least 20 similar corona viruses that could jump to humans.  The idea that patient 0 was infected at the lab is highly plausible.
JD

MikeB

• friend
« Reply #2284 on: April 14, 2020, 11:14:11 AM »
While I'm still more inclined towards "escaped", I'm also inclined towards, "it doesn't have to be highly lethal". The threat of, and resulting panic seems to be enough. What we're experiencing now is a pretty successful test run for a crappy bioweapon. You don't have to kill its population to kill a country.

I'm pretty sure the info is still accurate that this was supposedly started by a rando eating a bat... just down the street from a viral research facility studying bat viruses.

Putting my conspiracy hat on. This could be a fairly successful bio-weapon if your intention was not necessarily to quickly kill people, but to cripple your opponents economy and military. We have one Aircraft carrier out of service that is in the zone of China. Our economy is basically shutdown. Let's say the Chinese numbers of deaths are accurate - maybe they already had a cure/vaccine? Now in theory their economy is up and running and ours and the rest of the worlds are shut down or will be shutting down, then let's get back to that Carrier that is no longer a deterrent against China expanding in the South China Sea or let's say taking Taiwan.... A bio-weapon that just quickly killed a lot of people may also be successful of course depending on the intention, but it would likely end quickly and may be harder to hide the intent and origination. Kind of a Tactical vs. Strategic thing.

I don't really believe all that, but if it was true then it could be argued it was in fact a very successful bio-weapon.

Most likely accidental release from research or just normal animal human contact transition though is the most realistic explanation without some other data to indicate that it was anything else.

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #2285 on: April 14, 2020, 11:17:51 AM »
Just looked the Virginia numbers-

Just like Italy, just like NYC, just like every other set of numbers , despite the anecdotal horror stories , this virus is almost exclusively killing the old and the sick, who were at great risk from any other illness.  

A guess would be that next year we see a lot less flu deaths, as the virus will already have pulled forward that group.

Shutting down the economy for this is nuts.  We are panicking for nothing. Really scary to see so many so manipulated.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #2286 on: April 14, 2020, 11:27:56 AM »
Just looked the Virginia numbers-

Just like Italy, just like NYC, just like every other set of numbers , despite the anecdotal horror stories , this virus is almost exclusively killing the old and the sick, who were at great risk from any other illness.  

A guess would be that next year we see a lot less flu deaths, as the virus will already have pulled forward that group.

Shutting down the economy for this is nuts.  We are panicking for nothing. Really scary to see so many so manipulated.

I'm particularly angry about what they've done to the areas that are not DC, Richmond, or Tidewater.

Our ham-handed jackass of a governor is shutting down the entire state... because DC is infected.

Here's an idea: WHY NOT SHUTDOWN ONLY THE AREAS WHERE THERE IS ACTUALLY A PROBLEM?

Oh, that's right. Like in Illinois, all that matters is the major metropolitan areas. Screw the backwater hicks.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #2287 on: April 14, 2020, 11:52:57 AM »
If you really wanted to get into conspiracies, what about a intentionally mild virus that was released for the purpose of encouraging more central govt control? 

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #2288 on: April 14, 2020, 11:53:28 AM »
Here's an idea: WHY NOT SHUTDOWN ONLY THE AREAS WHERE THERE IS ACTUALLY A PROBLEM?
To give the devil his due, the areas they leave open will likely be swarmed by residents from the areas they close.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #2289 on: April 14, 2020, 12:52:59 PM »
People love a conspiracy, I wonder how many "conspiracy theories" were proven wrong by history.

What little I know about livestock diseases, I totally believe this is a animal pathogen that jumped over to a human pathogen.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #2290 on: April 14, 2020, 01:10:46 PM »
Just throwing this out there on the Bioweapon theory:

1. If it escaped unintentionally (which I think we can all agree is almost certainly the case) It might not be quite finished yet.  Let's think of this as like an 80% solution on a weapon.

2. You guys are thinking in terms of military effectiveness, which is not where bioweapons shine, and not really how PRC doctrine runs.  Something like this is more of a weapon for right before, or at the very beginning of a shooting war.  Once hostilities break out a lot of travel between belligerents is already stopped.  That is to say, no one is coming into China.  SO they smuggle several hundred carriers in through Mexico (or through north Africa into Europe) with credit cards and instructions to take a nice long 3ish week vacation traveling all over America/the EU.  Then the war starts.  Can you imagine the West trying to swing into a wartime economy, and produce a bunch of weapons to fight the PLA, as well as replace the things we need in the States that aren't made there, all while no one can go to work because a 15-20% death rate flu is ripping around?  How about the effectiveness of the extra soldiers that dropped off kids with grandma and grandpa to deploy, now that their kid's school bug killed grandma and grandpa?

Is it definitely a bioweapon?  Maybe, maybe not, but it would be a good one, especially if this is the rough draft.  Did it come from the Wuhan lab, either through accidental jump from a lab animal to a tech, or poorly disposed of lab animal remains?  I would bet a fair amount on that.

One last thought:  This is described all over as "fast mutating" so vaccines will be a long term challenge.   Even if it wasn't a weapon originally, it probably is now.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #2291 on: April 14, 2020, 01:16:27 PM »
People love a conspiracy, I wonder how many "conspiracy theories" were proven wrong by history.

Conspiracy theories are never proven wrong. They're just silenced by The Man, and of course history is written by the winners. Or the lizard people. Or the Catholic Church. Or the Jooish bankers, or...
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #2292 on: April 14, 2020, 01:27:33 PM »

Conspiracy theories are never proven wrong. They're just silenced by The Man, and of course history is written by the winners. Or the lizard people. Or the Catholic Church. Or the Jooish bankers, or...

I'm glad that Biden killed the last of the Lizard People in the Spanish Civil War.

Uranus is a gas giant.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #2293 on: April 14, 2020, 01:39:54 PM »
I'm glad that Biden killed the last of the Lizard People in the Spanish Civil War.

"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #2294 on: April 14, 2020, 02:03:18 PM »

Uranus is a gas giant.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #2295 on: April 14, 2020, 02:19:01 PM »

A quick look at congress makes it obvious he missed a few.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #2296 on: April 14, 2020, 02:29:22 PM »
A quick look at congress makes it obvious he missed a few.

Don't confuse space aliens from Uranus with Lizard People. Lizard People are pretty bad ass and used to use AR-14s.

Uranus is a gas giant.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #2297 on: April 14, 2020, 02:41:32 PM »
Just throwing this out there on the Bioweapon theory:

1. If it escaped unintentionally (which I think we can all agree is almost certainly the case) It might not be quite finished yet.  Let's think of this as like an 80% solution on a weapon.

2. You guys are thinking in terms of military effectiveness, which is not where bioweapons shine, and not really how PRC doctrine runs.  Something like this is more of a weapon for right before, or at the very beginning of a shooting war.  Once hostilities break out a lot of travel between belligerents is already stopped.  That is to say, no one is coming into China.  SO they smuggle several hundred carriers in through Mexico (or through north Africa into Europe) with credit cards and instructions to take a nice long 3ish week vacation traveling all over America/the EU.  Then the war starts.  Can you imagine the West trying to swing into a wartime economy, and produce a bunch of weapons to fight the PLA, as well as replace the things we need in the States that aren't made there, all while no one can go to work because a 15-20% death rate flu is ripping around?  How about the effectiveness of the extra soldiers that dropped off kids with grandma and grandpa to deploy, now that their kid's school bug killed grandma and grandpa?

Is it definitely a bioweapon?  Maybe, maybe not, but it would be a good one, especially if this is the rough draft.  Did it come from the Wuhan lab, either through accidental jump from a lab animal to a tech, or poorly disposed of lab animal remains?  I would bet a fair amount on that.

One last thought:  This is described all over as "fast mutating" so vaccines will be a long term challenge.   Even if it wasn't a weapon originally, it probably is now.
Or China thought it might be targeted against them and made sure injected people traveled all over to spread it everywhere else. 

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2298 on: April 14, 2020, 02:44:22 PM »
Don't confuse space aliens from Uranus with Lizard People. Lizard People are pretty bad ass and used to use AR-14s.

Gas comes out of Uranus

Clouds of Gas Coming Out of Uranus Found in Old Voyager 2 Data
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRvtB37cnao
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2299 on: April 14, 2020, 02:55:46 PM »
As if we didn't have enough to worry about

Starving 'cannibal' rats are on the march during the coronavirus pandemic
https://www.foxnews.com/science/starving-cannibal-rats-march-coronavirus-pandemic
- Calvin and Hobbes