Author Topic: COVID-19/corona virus mega thread/prepping thread  (Read 453048 times)

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Re: COVID-19/corona virus mega thread/prepping thread
« Reply #2325 on: April 15, 2020, 04:05:07 PM »
We would have to look at not just retaliation with China, but US preparedness as well - and not just the government. Individuals have to learn to step up with at least minimal preparedness.

Suddenly "prepping" is not what weirdos on National Geographic series do, and "victory gardens" are now in. Sadly,  I  give it a year max before people don't restock what they hoarded and throw away or give away prep stuff that is now "taking up space for no reason"*. Also those victory gardens will all wither and die.

* I was talking with a former coworker  I guess a month ago. When I was on the job, I had a fully stocked emergency response section of the office full of shelter in place gear and PPE. She told me that like a year ago, they decided all that stuff nutty prepper Ben did (most actually via guidance from DC) was stupid and they needed the space, so they chucked everything. Coulda used it now.

The worst part of the Great Depression was only a few years, maybe less than 2 years. That experience stuck with a generation their whole life, may be the same when this is all over.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #2326 on: April 15, 2020, 04:07:27 PM »
The worst part of the Great Depression was only a few years, maybe less than 2 years. That experience stuck with a generation their whole life, may be the same when this is all over.

It did more than stick with a generation. The lessons were even passed to their children.

I only have one generation (in my family, at least) between me and those that lived through the great depression, and I got lessons from it, too. (Most people my age didn't, though as they were usually at least one more generation removed from it.)

Now, on the pessimist side- the lessons of 9/11 didn't seem to stick, so I'm not sure this will either. Maybe because it actually affected people rather than being something they saw on TV, it might, though.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2327 on: April 15, 2020, 04:13:56 PM »

That would be very good. I know that much of my "prepardeness" has come from the pre, during, and post WW2 stories and examples of my parents and relatives who were on the wrong side.

Though with being able to stay home with electronically deposited paychecks and with Netflix, I have to wonder if people weathering this will see the same value as those who literally lost everything they owned and wondered if they would eat the next day?
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #2328 on: April 15, 2020, 04:18:45 PM »
That would be very good. I know that much of my "prepardeness" has come from the pre, during, and post WW2 stories and examples of my parents and relatives who were on the wrong side.

Though with being able to stay home with electronically deposited paychecks and with Netflix, I have to wonder if people weathering this will see the same value as those who literally lost everything they owned and wondered if they would eat the next day?

This ain't over with yet.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #2329 on: April 15, 2020, 04:20:04 PM »

At some point we have to change the methodology from the lowest common denominator of "everybody" to target groups.  I can't help but think part of the reason we're not targeting susceptible groups while letting others go to work is our current cultural hypersensitivity to discrimination and micro-aggression and whatnot.

I would also toss in that we were so wholly unprepared, that we don't have a strategy like Taiwan or South Korea that would make keeping life going a much easier process.  Lack of rapid testing, lack of contact tracing.  
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #2330 on: April 15, 2020, 04:42:05 PM »
File under "never let a crisis go to waste":

https://www.80percentarms.com/blog/miguel-santiago-writes-gavin-newsom/?

TL;DR:  a California state assemblyman is lobbying the governor to halt all firearm sales in the state, because of COVID-19.
"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #2331 on: April 15, 2020, 09:51:11 PM »

As charby said, this ain't over yet.

Also, about the Netflix and direct deposit thing - are you talking about yourself, or about other people?

Assuming the latter, keep in mind plenty of people are missing paychecks because of this. Or they're working, but making less. Or they're working the same, or more hours, but their lives have changed in other ways.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #2332 on: April 15, 2020, 10:10:39 PM »

Also, about the Netflix and direct deposit thing - are you talking about yourself, or about other people?

Assuming the latter, keep in mind plenty of people are missing paychecks because of this. Or they're working, but making less. Or they're working the same, or more hours, but their lives have changed in other ways.

Such as "Is this the day some infected A**hole who doesn't take this seriously comes in and I end up going home with C19"?

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2333 on: April 15, 2020, 10:11:07 PM »

See my reply 2324 regarding people not getting paychecks. I get both electronic money and Netflix, but I've been prepping since back when you got called crazy for it. I consider myself in the minority in that (e-deposits and Netflix) crowd regarding preparedness before, during, and after the pandemic. Most of the urban teleworking crowd only prepares when it's too late, and I simply have little confidence that the majority of them will learn anything long term.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #2335 on: April 15, 2020, 11:16:09 PM »

A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #2336 on: April 16, 2020, 02:20:03 AM »
Well, regarding the virus escaping a lab:

https://twitchy.com/brettt-3136/2020/04/15/source-tells-fox-news-that-origin-of-covid-19-might-be-the-costliest-government-coverup-of-all-time/

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/coronavirus-wuhan-lab-china-compete-us-sources

"Keep up with the US in virus ID and combating".  What an interesting mission for a level 4 bio lab owned and operated by a communist party.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2337 on: April 16, 2020, 07:56:46 AM »
"Keep up with the US in virus ID and combating".  What an interesting mission for a level 4 bio lab owned and operated by a communist party.

One of the more interesting tangents on this for me was that this was the lede, giant font headline on Fox News' main page yesterday. As soon as it popped up there, I checked CNN, MSNBC, PBS, and several other MSM websites. Not a mention of it anywhere obvious, let alone as a headline.

Regardless of accident or weapon, the fact that our own intelligence services are publicly stating this should be one of the biggest stories of the week. Instead, these mooks continue their TDS coverage of the virus. I just now popped over to CNN, and still not a mention of it anywhere. China could land forces on one of our coasts today, and these idiots would find some way to ignore it as less important than TDS. Ignoring a story like this is practically enemy activity.

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #2338 on: April 16, 2020, 07:57:32 AM »
Such as "Is this the day some infected A**hole who doesn't take this seriously comes in and I end up going home with C19"?

Now now.  The stay at home orders are tyranny and we must all die for the stock market.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #2339 on: April 16, 2020, 08:02:26 AM »
One of the more interesting tangents on this for me was that this was the lede, giant font headline on Fox News' main page yesterday. As soon as it popped up there, I checked CNN, MSNBC, PBS, and several other MSM websites. Not a mention of it anywhere obvious, let alone as a headline.

Regardless of accident or weapon, the fact that our own intelligence services are publicly stating this should be one of the biggest stories of the week. Instead, these mooks continue their TDS coverage of the virus. I just now popped over to CNN, and still not a mention of it anywhere. China could land forces on one of our coasts today, and these idiots would find some way to ignore it as less important than TDS. Ignoring a story like this is practically enemy activity.

Not practically.

The Democrats have decided that there is no external enemy more dangerous than the conservatives and Trump, their current champion. (Who, rather ironically, is not conservative.)

Therefore, NOTHING that would help their enemy is to be done.

It's nothing new, political factions have often ignored true threats because they are more concerned about their own power than the continued existence of their nation. This is, in fact, how Carthage died, as an example.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #2340 on: April 16, 2020, 08:03:32 AM »
China could land forces on one of our coasts today, and these idiots would find some way to ignore it as less important than TDS. Ignoring a story like this is practically enemy activity.

CNN would probably say we should welcome the immigrants.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #2341 on: April 16, 2020, 08:13:29 AM »
CNN would probably say we should welcome the immigrants.

And hand them driver's licenses, voter ID cards, provide them with free higher education and healthcare, and put them on the welfare rolls.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #2342 on: April 16, 2020, 08:16:23 AM »

The office Token Democrat sent me the cnn link this morning:

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/04/15/politics/us-intelligence-virus-started-chinese-lab/index.html

They coach it in much more "maybe" terms though.  Even that must have been painful for them.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2343 on: April 16, 2020, 08:23:32 AM »
The office Token Democrat sent me the cnn link this morning:

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/04/15/politics/us-intelligence-virus-started-chinese-lab/index.html

They coach it in much more "maybe" terms though.  Even that must have been painful for them.

Ah - I see it on their front page now. That's an awfully small font link in between "bring sports back" and "Chris Cuomo's wife has COVID-19".

Oh, also from the article:

The theory has been pushed by supporters of the President, including some congressional Republicans, who are eager to deflect criticisms of Trump's handling of the pandemic.

CNN's Jim Acosta contributed to this report.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #2344 on: April 16, 2020, 09:10:51 AM »
The numbers in the USA are now revealed to be every bit bullshit as the China numbers.

The government has encouraged being very very liberal with the coding of cause of death and with the Fed kicking in money based on number of cases institutions have, they've provided financial incentive to pad the numbers.

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #2345 on: April 16, 2020, 09:15:34 AM »
The numbers in the USA are now revealed to be every bit bullshit as the China numbers.

The government has encouraged being very very liberal with the coding of cause of death and with the Fed kicking in money based on number of cases institutions have, they've provided financial incentive to pad the numbers.

Full hospitals can't be faked. 
JD

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #2346 on: April 16, 2020, 09:15:44 AM »
Now now.  The stay at home orders are tyranny and we must all die for the stock market.

What we sorely need at this dark hour are laughs at the expense of people who've lost the paychecks and businesses on which their families depend. Jolly good fun, I say!
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #2347 on: April 16, 2020, 09:16:38 AM »

The stay at home orders are tyranny and we've grossly over-reacted everywhere except the most dense urban areas. (Where they have merely "over-reacted" rather than grossly so.)

That may be understandable as we are dealing with something new and will get some things wrong, but someone needs to look at the numbers and realize that our hospitals, far from being overwhelmed, are being underutilized, which is also bad.

And we don't need to die for the stock market, but we DO need to have some risk accepted so that people can actually function and work.

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #2348 on: April 16, 2020, 09:17:19 AM »

What we sorely need at this dark hour are laughs at the expense of people who've lost the paychecks and businesses on which their families depend. Jolly good fun, I say!

I plan to drive by the line at the food bank later and laugh, point, and wave my government ID at them.
JD

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #2349 on: April 16, 2020, 10:15:53 AM »

Full hospitals can't be faked.  

My statement and full hospitals aren't mutually exclusive.

The virus is dangerous/deadly and the numbers are bullshit.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.