Author Topic: COVID-19/corona virus mega thread/prepping thread  (Read 453061 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re: COVID-19/corona virus mega thread/prepping thread
« Reply #2425 on: April 17, 2020, 10:35:20 AM »
More (as if we needed it) on why the numbers we have don't mean anything:

https://dnyuz.com/2020/04/17/why-epidemiologists-still-dont-know-the-death-rate-for-covid-19/

“To know the fatality rate you need to know how many people are infected and how many people died from the disease,” said Ali H. Mokdad, a professor of health metrics sciences at the Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation. “We know how many people are dying, but we don’t know how many people are infected.”
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #2426 on: April 17, 2020, 10:43:47 AM »
https://covid19info.live/us/

Who puts out this map, and what's the source of their data? Everything I have read to date says the Johns Hopkins map is THE definitive compilation of the available data. This is an interesting map (and it indicates some extremely wide fluctuations in recovery percentages from state to state), but even on this one several states still show zero recoveries.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #2427 on: April 17, 2020, 10:45:17 AM »
Another news snippet I just heard:

Only one in five restaurants will survive the shutdown. I didn't catch what group did the study, but I wouldn't be surprised. I think restaurants already have a fairly large failure rate in the best of times.

Sounds right.  Running a restaurant is difficult and the operating margins are small.  Combine that with a big drop in customers and I can see a very high failure rate.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #2428 on: April 17, 2020, 11:10:30 AM »
Who puts out this map, and what's the source of their data? Everything I have read to date says the Johns Hopkins map is THE definitive compilation of the available data. This is an interesting map (and it indicates some extremely wide fluctuations in recovery percentages from state to state), but even on this one several states still show zero recoveries.
They compile data from WHO, CDC, ECDC, NHC, JHU CSSE, DXY & QQ (as you could have easily seen from clicking on "About").

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #2429 on: April 17, 2020, 11:28:04 AM »
Sounds right.  Running a restaurant is difficult and the operating margins are small.  Combine that with a big drop in customers and I can see a very high failure rate.

My wife just told me that one of the BIG, nationwide-known* dance studios in DC is shutting down. (*Known nationwide for bellydance. It's not like anyone outside of that world would have ever heard of it.)

Fitness/yoga/dance places are getting hit hard, too.

It's not even the operating margins. Most businesses can't survive without customers for a month. It's hard to prepare for "your business will be completely closed, and bring in no income, but you'll still be on the hook for your costs" for a month.

Generally, the bigger the business, the bigger the costs. There's no business that is running such a profit that they can just eat two months of costs.

Even healthy businesses will be killed by this.

My wife's business will survive fine- because it's a home studio and she mostly does private lessons. She has (effectively) zero costs. But it still sucks. If she had rent to pay? She'd have been out of business after 3 months, TOPS. And then she'd also be effectively working for free to recoup those costs, for probably at least 3 months. (Likely longer.)

Can you go 6 months without a paycheck?
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2430 on: April 17, 2020, 12:09:25 PM »
Podunk grocery run again this morning. Everything is still pretty much fully stocked except TP and paper products (really people?!?). All the limit signs are down except for "two dairy products" and "one paper product". The latter means only one of any paper product. A friend tried to buy one package of TP and one roll of paper towels and had to choose one or the other. They appear to have stopped their "old fogies only" hours as well.

I still haven't tried Costco. I was told by someone that did that the lines are still ridiculously long, partially because of the limiting of shoppers in the store, so now there are long lines outside.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #2431 on: April 17, 2020, 12:18:29 PM »
I did a grocery run yesterday.  No TP.  No sanitizing cleaners (with the exception of toilet cleaners).  No bleach.  Very little paper towels.  I got the last can of baking powder and the last container of yeast (they were pushed way back on the top shelf).  Very little flour.  Only small packages of rice.  Meat is in stock again.  Frozen section and bread is nearly fully stocked.  Milk products are well stocked but butter is a little light.  Eggs at about 50%.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #2432 on: April 17, 2020, 12:21:04 PM »
Sounds right.  Running a restaurant is difficult and the operating margins are small.  Combine that with a big drop in customers and I can see a very high failure rate.

A very wealthy mentor of ours said one of the things he would never invest in is restaurants.  Even in the best of times they're very hard to run profitably. 

Today's walmart report:
No butter.  Like cleaned out, down to sweet cream sticks, a few fake butter products, and some very expensive organic stuff. 
Cereal was somewhat stocked.  Didn't check for TP, we've still got easily 2 months worth in the house.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #2433 on: April 17, 2020, 01:01:19 PM »
So America eats out a lot more than I thought.

Assuming part of this is the shift from school lunches to eating at home, do stores stock more in the summertime?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #2434 on: April 17, 2020, 01:04:08 PM »
A rare moment of clarity from Bill Maher:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEfDwc2G2_8

(some NSFW language)
"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #2435 on: April 17, 2020, 01:19:16 PM »
They compile data from WHO, CDC, ECDC, NHC, JHU CSSE, DXY & QQ (as you could have easily seen from clicking on "About").

"They"? You mean "Shortbread" is a they?

This site is designed, developed and funded by myself (Shortbread).

I think I'll keep watching the Johns Hopkins site, thanks.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #2436 on: April 17, 2020, 01:23:49 PM »

(some NSFW language)

I saw that a few days ago. For once, I agree with him.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #2437 on: April 17, 2020, 01:48:08 PM »
Podunk grocery run again this morning. Everything is still pretty much fully stocked except TP and paper products (really people?!?).

I read a very good explanation for why this isn't panic buying. (I can't find it right now, but I'll post it if I find it.)

People went from spending half of their waking hours at work (using mostly commercial TP) to spending most of them at home (using residential TP).

The commercial TP and residential TP producers are completely separate. Commercial TP makers can't just flip a switch and produce residential TP.

So, although people aren't going to the bathroom any more, they are using residential TP more- at least 40% more demand for it.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #2438 on: April 17, 2020, 01:50:45 PM »
I think I'll keep watching the Johns Hopkins site, thanks.
Use what you please.  I've found the numbers to be pretty consistent with other sources and the visualizations are way better than the Johns Hopkins map.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #2439 on: April 17, 2020, 01:57:49 PM »
I took the wife to Walmart yesterday for a quick in and out for one thing for her. You could sure tell the Eagle has shat recently, there were tons of people in there stocking up on essentials like potato chips and candy bars and thoroughly trashing the shelves so even if they had what you were looking for it was hard to find. I hate going to Walmart with a passion, besides being a crappy store it is loaded with sacks of flesh loaded with god knows what pathogens.  =|

bob

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #2440 on: April 17, 2020, 02:11:22 PM »

(some NSFW language)

Thank you for that.
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #2441 on: April 17, 2020, 02:18:51 PM »
I read a very good explanation for why this isn't panic buying. (I can't find it right now, but I'll post it if I find it.)

People went from spending half of their waking hours at work (using mostly commercial TP) to spending most of them at home (using residential TP).

The commercial TP and residential TP producers are completely separate. Commercial TP makers can't just flip a switch and produce residential TP.

So, although people aren't going to the bathroom any more, they are using residential TP more- at least 40% more demand for it.
I would have thought store chains would source some commercial TP just to get something on the shelf to sell.  

And that should mean there is a glut of commercial TP somewhere that isn't selling because offices and resturants are shut down and not buying more. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #2442 on: April 17, 2020, 02:23:18 PM »
Meanwhile, Elon Musk once again demonstrates that he is a huckster par excellence. He promised California 1,000 ventilators -- and instead donated a bunch of CPAP and BiPAP machines that cost 1/20 of what a ventilator costs.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/17/tech/elon-musk-ventilators-california/index.html

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2443 on: April 17, 2020, 02:43:19 PM »
I would have thought store chains would source some commercial TP just to get something on the shelf to sell.  

And that should mean there is a glut of commercial TP somewhere that isn't selling because offices and resturants are shut down and not buying more. 

I had actually read what Mak was talking about a while back. At that time, for curiosity, I looked at Amazon. They had those ginormous rolls (maybe 10" diameter?) you see in public bathroom dispensers available for fairly fast (like a week) shipping. I don't know if the price was reasonable or not, but it didn't look outrageous considering the times. Like maybe $15 for the two big rolls? Probably acceptable from the "beggars can't be choosers" perspective.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #2444 on: April 17, 2020, 04:23:01 PM »
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #2445 on: April 17, 2020, 04:26:21 PM »
So I heard a rumor that the closed Tyson pork plant in Columbus Junction, IA had moved asymptomatic employees to the plant in Waterloo, IA. I really don't think to highly of the management of any of the management of the big 5 meat packers, so I don't have a hard time believing this. Guess what we have a Covid-19 outbreak at the Waterloo, IA Tyson pork kill plant.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #2446 on: April 17, 2020, 04:39:57 PM »
So I heard a rumor that the closed Tyson pork plant in Columbus Junction, IA had moved asymptomatic employees to the plant in Waterloo, IA. I really don't think to highly of the management of any of the management of the big 5 meat packers, so I don't have a hard time believing this. Guess what we have a Covid-19 outbreak at the Waterloo, IA Tyson pork kill plant.

I imagine those small town hospitals are not equipped for that kind of outbreak.
JD

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #2447 on: April 17, 2020, 05:43:10 PM »
I imagine those small town hospitals are not equipped for that kind of outbreak.

Columbus Junction yes, Waterloo, probably not.

Waterloo metro area is probably close to 200k if you add all the small towns and rural areas. I used to live there in the 90s, I think there is 4 hospitals in Cedar Valley (what the called the Waterloo/Cedar Falls Metro area) at few more smaller if you go out 30 miles.

Columbus Junction is literally in the middle of nowhere. I grew up 45 minutes south of it. I think the closest big hospital would be Iowa City 50 minutes away (University of Iowa Hospital and others) or the Quad Cities 50 minutes away (5 cities on the IA/IL border)
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #2448 on: April 17, 2020, 06:21:47 PM »

I would think so, too. One of the local hardware stores is doing that, or I think they are. They're selling individual rolls of Charmin, wrapped in paper. Same style of packaging as the TP we use at work (just different brand).
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #2449 on: April 17, 2020, 06:53:35 PM »

Seems commercial TP is still in stock from various B2B outfits.

https://www.mscdirect.com/browse/tn/Janitorial-Facility-Maintenance/Toilet-Tissue?searchterm=toliet+paper&navid=4287923980