Author Topic: COVID-19/corona virus mega thread/prepping thread  (Read 453706 times)

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
Re: COVID-19/corona virus mega thread/prepping thread
« Reply #2550 on: April 22, 2020, 01:17:33 PM »
https://patch.com/california/losgatos/sc-co-s-first-coronavirus-death-occurred-earlier-thought?

SANTA CLARA COUNTY, CA — One person in Santa Clara County died of COVID-19 more than a month earlier than officials initially thought the first death occurred, the officials said Tuesday.

The fatality is the first known COVID-19-related death in the United States.

The individual, who died Feb. 6, and two others all died before what was thought to be the first death on March 9.

The other two deaths occurred on Feb. 17 and March 6. All three people died at home.

So it's California's fault.
"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #2552 on: April 22, 2020, 01:56:47 PM »
Add Tyson Waterloo to closed pig plants.

Wonder what pork prices are going to do?
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #2553 on: April 22, 2020, 02:26:20 PM »
Apparently it's just let them die in NY now

New York state issued a blanket do-not-resuscitate directive last week instructing first-responders not to try to revive patients without a pulse amid increased call volumes and lack of resources during the coronavirus public health crisis, according to a report.
The new order is “necessary during the COVID-19 response to protect the health and safety of EMS providers by limiting their exposure, conserve resources, and ensure optimal use of equipment to save the greatest number of lives,’’ according to a memo issued last week by the state Department of Health.
https://www.foxnews.com/us/new-york-state-instructs-paramedics-not-to-revive-cardiac-patients-amid-coronavirus-crisis-report
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #2554 on: April 22, 2020, 02:31:59 PM »
From the article:

The new order is “necessary during the COVID-19 response to protect the health and safety of EMS providers by limiting their exposure, conserve resources, and ensure optimal use of equipment to save the greatest number of lives,’’ according to a memo issued last week by the state Department of Health.

NY, to be clear, what you're saying is that when medical demand exceeds the resources available to treat them all, groups of government officals will allocate resources where they feel they are best utilized, even if folks that might otherwise live will die.

Sooooooo...Death Panels then.  Got it.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2555 on: April 22, 2020, 02:37:43 PM »
From the article:

NY, to be clear, what you're saying is that when medical demand exceeds the resources available to treat them all, groups of government officals will allocate resources where they feel they are best utilized, even if folks that might otherwise live will die.

That thought did go through my mind.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #2556 on: April 22, 2020, 02:58:56 PM »
From the article:

Italy, Britain, and Canada admitted to it...
Not sure anywhere outside of Italy that it came to fruition though.  Well, maybe NYC too.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #2557 on: April 22, 2020, 03:12:42 PM »
From the clinical perspective, here is the money quote from the article:

Only about three or four out of every 100 patients found at the scene without a pulse can be revived at hospitals through CPR, or other aggressive measures, such as drugs or hospitalization, an unidentified veteran FDNY paramedic told the newspaper.

If people knew the crappy percentage of people in unwitnessed cardiac arrest who ended up walking out of the hospital with their cognitive abilities intact, no one would want CPR or ACLS in the field. 

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #2558 on: April 22, 2020, 03:18:33 PM »
My wife does clinical education for nurses, and is an ACLS and CPR instructer.

She has told me (after a couple margaritas) that realistically just slap an AED on them and do what it says.  Everything else just makes the rescuer feel better.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #2559 on: April 22, 2020, 03:24:09 PM »
My wife does clinical education for nurses, and is an ACLS and CPR instructer.

She has told me (after a couple margaritas) that realistically just slap an AED on them and do what it says.  Everything else just makes the rescuer feel better. And puts on a good show for the onlookers and family.

Your wife will agree with my addition.

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #2560 on: April 22, 2020, 03:52:39 PM »

I bought fresh whole pork tenderloin yesterday (not loin roast) for $1.49 per pound. Loin baby back ribs were only slightly reduced from the usual 2.89-2.99 to 2.59 but I'm waiting for them to drop more too.
I remember around 30 years ago when hog prices crashed and farmers were giving them away. I recall one local grower with cars and trucks lined up from 3-5pm on a couple days a week and live hogs going into all kinds of vehicles. A few of the rednecks would use a gun or a ball peen hammer so they didn't have to "wrassel" them so much. 
What we have here is failure to communicate.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2561 on: April 22, 2020, 04:13:50 PM »
Your wife will agree with my addition.

I am way, way amateurish, only speaking from the basic dive medic training I used to have to do at work, but the last few refreshers before  I retired, we were pretty much instructed to just prep the environment (wet boat decks) and use the AED and call it good.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #2562 on: April 22, 2020, 04:52:45 PM »

They are already tanked, I feel for the independent producer, I could give too shits about packer owned hogs, they will be euthanized and corporate will take government money.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #2563 on: April 22, 2020, 05:22:14 PM »
I am way, way amateurish, only speaking from the basic dive medic training I used to have to do at work, but the last few refreshers before  I retired, we were pretty much instructed to just prep the environment (wet boat decks) and use the AED and call it good.

I came up in the ACLS era in which we administered all sorts of drugs during a code in addition to whipping out the LifePak for shockable rhythms. In recent years, the literature is showing that a lot of those drugs don't necessarily do a whole lot of good in terms of optimizing patient outcome, and rapid transport to the hospital plus shock is probably more important than anything else.

WLJ

• friends
- Calvin and Hobbes

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #2565 on: April 22, 2020, 08:21:10 PM »

If people knew the crappy percentage of people in unwitnessed cardiac arrest who ended up walking out of the hospital with their cognitive abilities intact, no one would want CPR or ACLS in the field. 

Hell, you are lucky to live through it and walk away (eventually) if it is a witnessed arrest in a hospital. And if you do live we won't even talk about the hit your cognitive abilities will take. It aint pretty.

bob

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #2566 on: April 22, 2020, 10:26:34 PM »
Interstate Bakery is probably going to shut down due to positive Covid 19 workers, I think Sioux City, IA or Sioux Falls, SD. Just heard it on the radio briefly. They make hostess products IIRC.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #2567 on: April 22, 2020, 10:45:52 PM »
Italy, Britain, and Canada admitted to it...
Not sure anywhere outside of Italy that it came to fruition though.  Well, maybe NYC too.

I have seen articles quoting NYC doctors that suggest this was the practice several days or more ago, even if it wasn't an official state policy.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #2568 on: April 22, 2020, 11:10:31 PM »
Interstate Bakery is probably going to shut down due to positive Covid 19 workers, I think Sioux City, IA or Sioux Falls, SD. Just heard it on the radio briefly. They make hostess products IIRC.

NOT TWINKIES!!!!! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

The end is here!!
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #2569 on: April 22, 2020, 11:27:50 PM »
I was going to put this elsewhere, but this thread is about COVID-19, so here goes:

https://www.cnet.com/news/pandemic-drone-test-flights-will-monitor-social-distancing/

As the article states, Westport (CT) was effective ground zero for COVID-19 in Connecticut. Westport is a bedroom town, in which a large percentage of the population commutes into NYC by train daily. It's affluent, so it doesn't surprise me that their PD has been playing with drones. But ... the idea that a drone can detect my temperature, pulse and respiratory rate is unnerving, to say the least.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #2570 on: April 22, 2020, 11:53:17 PM »
I was going to put this elsewhere, but this thread is about COVID-19, so here goes:

https://www.cnet.com/news/pandemic-drone-test-flights-will-monitor-social-distancing/

As the article states, Westport (CT) was effective ground zero for COVID-19 in Connecticut. Westport is a bedroom town, in which a large percentage of the population commutes into NYC by train daily. It's affluent, so it doesn't surprise me that their PD has been playing with drones. But ... the idea that a drone can detect my temperature, pulse and respiratory rate is unnerving, to say the least.

I grew up in Westport Ct.   Snotty "Gold Coast"  town,  was actually pretty nice in the early 1960s.  In the '70's  there was an organization called "Save Westport Now" started to try to keep it from being turned into a suburb of New York City.  Too little, too late. 
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #2571 on: April 23, 2020, 12:16:58 AM »
Apparently it's just let them die in NY now
https://www.foxnews.com/us/new-york-state-instructs-paramedics-not-to-revive-cardiac-patients-amid-coronavirus-crisis-report

The linked article has been updated at the time of this post.  The DNR orders have been rescinded.  The folks that entered the order must have pissed someone off pretty seriously to have higher ups rescind it.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #2572 on: April 23, 2020, 07:40:31 AM »

Isn't there some oath or ethic that requires DRs, RAs, EMTs, etc to at least try to resuscitate a person? 
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #2573 on: April 23, 2020, 10:03:10 AM »
Isn't there some oath or ethic that requires DRs, RAs, EMTs, etc to at least try to resuscitate a person? 

That is quite the can of worms you want to open there! ;)

First and foremost is "Do no harm". Is there a chance of them surviving? Does it put others at risk of death or injury? I gaurantee that there have been ethics committees all over the US trying to answer these question in light of Covid-19 and most are probably struggling with it.

This is not new, way back when I first became a Nurse (2000), not that long ago, I worked OB and Newborn Nursery. I was in Oklahoma and a lot of the women were against abortion for whatever reason. Because of that I participated in deliveries of non-viable babies (normally huge genetic issues such as Trisomy 13 or 18) around the 22 week mark. We would induce labor and deliver the baby, sometimes deceased, sometimes alive. So in a way it was an abortion but the mother did not feel that way. We would not attempt to resuscitate the baby if it was alive. In every case we would give the baby to the mother and father and they would love it for as long as it was breathing, then we would do a complete bereavement procedure. And yes,, this was considered ethical at the time and probably still so.

So to answer your question....  Maybe.

bob

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #2574 on: April 23, 2020, 10:36:01 AM »

Not when the care is futile.