Author Topic: COVID-19/corona virus mega thread/prepping thread  (Read 453230 times)

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Re: COVID-19/corona virus mega thread/prepping thread
« Reply #2600 on: April 24, 2020, 09:48:38 AM »
I think people forget a lot of things. When Covid-19 really reared it's ugly head, there was a prediction of what % of the infected were going to be die to Covid-19, the shutdowns weren't about saving any of those predicted deaths, it was about not having them all getting sick and dying at the same time and overloading the hospitals. It's still a very contagious disease and before people start bitching about the shutdowns, maybe reflect on that shutdowns seem to be working in slowing the spread.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #2601 on: April 24, 2020, 10:15:00 AM »
I think people forget a lot of things. When Covid-19 really reared it's ugly head, there was a prediction of what % of the infected were going to be die to Covid-19, the shutdowns weren't about saving any of those predicted deaths, it was about not having them all getting sick and dying at the same time and overloading the hospitals. It's still a very contagious disease and before people start bitching about the shutdowns, maybe reflect on that shutdowns seem to be working in slowing the spread.
It was also supposed to be two weeks. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #2602 on: April 24, 2020, 10:37:01 AM »
It was also supposed to be two weeks. 

I don't recall anything about just two weeks in my state, even in mid-march, it was talked about at least 4-6 weeks. Schools were closed 4 weeks first.

Uranus is a gas giant.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #2603 on: April 24, 2020, 11:07:47 AM »

I agree, but there are a lot of facets to "bi**hing about the shutdowns." Obviously, there’s the crazy stuff, like plucking a lone paddle-boarder out of the empty ocean, and putting him in a holding cell, so that he can more successfully quarantine. Or the mayor of Chicago telling people they should put off their styling appointments, only to later post her own stylist visit to social media, because personal hygiene is very important to her, you see. Or police responding to an oh-so-dangerous drive-in church service, while the Sonic drive-in restaurant down the street is humming right along.

But that’s just the crazy stuff.

Can we blame people for being skeptical of the models? Weren’t the models way off, even if they factored in the shut-down? And we’ve put how many people on unemployment for this?

Which aspect are we talking about?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #2604 on: April 24, 2020, 11:10:08 AM »

Except the predictions of numbers of fatalities were supposed to already reflect the shutdowns and social distancing.

Now, to claim we aren't having anywhere near the number of deaths or infections because of the shutdowns is post-hoc justification of wrong models.

The models are wrong. I am not angry about that- an unknown virus is bound to cause all kinds of issues with trying to predict its danger.

So we acted hastily and mistakenly on wrong models. It sucks, but that happens.

My problem is that NOW, it seems no one wants to open things back up because SOME PEOPLE WILL DIE!!!!

Well, yes, and that's going to happen whether we do it now or do it later. The difference will ONLY be in how many people die of starvation, despair, or deprivation due to the economic consequences.

According to the "experts" we can't just beat the virus. Whenever we open back up it will spread again.

If that's the case, then let's do it now to avoid the deaths that economic turmoil will cause.

(And don't get me started on the treating of Strasburg, VA the same as Faifax, VA. Substitute your state's rural and urban areas to apply to your situation.)
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #2605 on: April 24, 2020, 11:11:38 AM »
I don't recall anything about just two weeks in my state, even in mid-march, it was talked about at least 4-6 weeks. Schools were closed 4 weeks first.

We were told, at least around here, that the stay-at-home order was till the end of the month. A week ago, we were blithely informed it was extended "indefinitely," and would be reevaluated in mid-May. I can't blame people for finding that a little less than acceptable. I mean, you tell people their lives are on hold for x time period, that's one thing. Tell them, well, you're on unemployment until whenever. Yeah, you'd expect people to get fed up with that.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #2606 on: April 24, 2020, 11:13:36 AM »
Except the predictions of numbers of fatalities were supposed to already reflect the shutdowns and social distancing.

Now, to claim we aren't having anywhere near the number of deaths or infections because of the shutdowns is post-hoc justification of wrong models.

The models are wrong. I am not angry about that- an unknown virus is bound to cause all kinds of issues with trying to predict its danger.

My problem is that NOW, it seems no one wants to open things back up because SOME PEOPLE WILL DIE!!!!

Well, yes, and that's going to happen whether we do it now or do it later. The difference will ONLY be in how many people die of starvation, despair, or deprivation due to the economic consequences.

According to the "experts" we can't just beat the virus. Whenever we open back up it will spread again.

If that's the case, then let's do it now to avoid the deaths that economic turmoil will cause.

(And don't get me started on the treating of Strasburg, VA the same as Faifax, VA. Substitute your state's rural and urban areas to apply to your situation.)

How dare you talk about people dying from economic problems? That is something only the Left gets to talk about, and they're not talking about that now. So shut up, you.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #2607 on: April 24, 2020, 11:50:36 AM »

Iowa was chugging along quite nicely not really having outbreaks other than in nursing homes, then bam essential workers of the packing plants started getting Covid-19 in significant numbers. Many packing house employees due to lower wages live in close quarters with multiple residents and multiple generations, usually both spouses have to work so it's easy to spread it around from the hot spot. I think May is going to be really shitty in Iowa and other states with a lot of meat packing plants.

Uranus is a gas giant.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #2608 on: April 24, 2020, 11:56:22 AM »
Because the Surgeon General said we were going to have a Pearl Harbor or Sept 11th experience a couple of weeks ago, I went looking for some analysis from the media about whether that had come to fruition. I'm surprised how little I was able to find on it.

https://www.messenger-inquirer.com/news/covid-19-is-rapidly-becoming-americas-leading-cause-of-death/article_7b36b498-6722-5fa3-ba68-02cf0d98699a.html

https://www.timesfreepress.com/news/opinion/times/story/2020/apr/19/sohn-covid-19-deaths-becoming-no-1-killer/520952/

The SG also said it would be like Pearl Harbor all across the country, but haven't the vast majority of fatalities been in NYC, and a few other hot spots?

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #2609 on: April 24, 2020, 12:01:26 PM »
Iowa was chugging along quite nicely not really having outbreaks other than in nursing homes, then bam essential workers of the packing plants started getting Covid-19 in significant numbers. Many packing house employees due to lower wages live in close quarters with multiple residents and multiple generations, usually both spouses have to work so it's easy to spread it around from the hot spot. I think May is going to be really shitty in Iowa and other states with a lot of meat packing plants.

So what you're saying is that certain professions are more dangerous than others and maybe we ought to do something about allowing the skirting employment and housing regulations with regard to illegals?

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #2610 on: April 24, 2020, 12:07:33 PM »
So what you're saying is that certain professions are more dangerous than others and maybe we ought to do something about allowing the skirting employment and housing regulations with regard to illegals?

As long as 5 companies own 85% of the meat packing industry, we all know that isn't going to happen. They own elected officials.

Uranus is a gas giant.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #2611 on: April 24, 2020, 12:36:01 PM »
https://thehill.com/opinion/healthcare/494034-the-data-are-in-stop-the-panic-and-end-the-total-isolation

Leaders must examine accumulated data to see what has actually happened, rather than keep emphasizing hypothetical projections; combine that empirical evidence with fundamental principles of biology established for decades; and then thoughtfully restore the country to function.
"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
« Reply #2612 on: April 24, 2020, 12:38:31 PM »

Testing, contact tracing, and quarantining infected & exposed individuals can greatly reduce the spread of the virus and doing that effectively will result in fewer deaths. See South Korea.
Part of the reason for shutting down was to significantly increase those capabilities while slowing the rate of new infections. We were way behind where we needed to be and the idea was to pause while those systems get caught up. Stuff like this too.
Are we caught up enough yet that it won't get out of control? According the "experts" we aren't but it's a judgement call.
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #2613 on: April 24, 2020, 01:12:56 PM »
Testing, contact tracing, and quarantining infected & exposed individuals can greatly reduce the spread of the virus and doing that effectively will result in fewer deaths. See South Korea.
Part of the reason for shutting down was to significantly increase those capabilities while slowing the rate of new infections. We were way behind where we needed to be and the idea was to pause while those systems get caught up. Stuff like this too.
Are we caught up enough yet that it won't get out of control? According the "experts" we aren't but it's a judgement call.

I don't know if we're caught up enough. We are, at 20-some-million, unemployed enough.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #2614 on: April 24, 2020, 11:19:45 PM »
Turkey Kill plant in IA has 60 workers test positive for Covid 19

Uranus is a gas giant.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #2615 on: April 24, 2020, 11:28:55 PM »

I don't know if we're caught up enough. We are, at 20-some-million, unemployed enough.

My wife and I were discussing tonight and we expect it will be a long road back for restaurants: even after the lockdown is ended, people won't be flocking to pack into a restaurant for some time.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #2616 on: April 25, 2020, 12:40:40 AM »
My wife and I were discussing tonight and we expect it will be a long road back for restaurants: even after the lockdown is ended, people won't be flocking to pack into a restaurant for some time.

When we emerge, blinking, into the post-quarantine future, only Taco Bell will remain.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #2617 on: April 25, 2020, 08:56:58 AM »

Depends on where you live.  I think in states that aren't hard hit by covid, people won't be as worried.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2618 on: April 25, 2020, 09:01:23 AM »
Interesting thread on vaccine development. I was unaware of the past research of coronavirus in animals. The researcher indicates they have been trying to find viable animal vaccines for decades.

https://twitchy.com/gregp-3534/2020/04/25/chief-science-officer-of-angstrom-bio-explains-the-challenges-to-developing-a-vaccine-for-covid-19/
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #2619 on: April 25, 2020, 09:14:02 AM »
Interesting thread on vaccine development. I was unaware of the past research of coronavirus in animals. The researcher indicates they have been trying to find viable animal vaccines for decades.

https://twitchy.com/gregp-3534/2020/04/25/chief-science-officer-of-angstrom-bio-explains-the-challenges-to-developing-a-vaccine-for-covid-19/

Coronavirus are usually a big time pork killer. Here is an article about the last coronavirus outbreak in pigs in the US.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/innovation/coronavirus-spread-through-us-pigs-in-2013-heres-how-it-was-stopped-180974646/

Uranus is a gas giant.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #2620 on: April 25, 2020, 12:33:33 PM »

It will be a long road back for the restaurant industry because many will have gone out of business entirely.  We've seen many in this area already go out of business.  Also, there were some new ones locally just on the verge of opening, or that had just opened, that never had a chance.  They're gone, too.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #2621 on: April 25, 2020, 12:50:18 PM »

These would be the same models that were used to predict the effects of the SARS and MERS pandemics.  SARS and MERS are kissing cousins of COVID-19.
We never learn from history.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #2622 on: April 25, 2020, 12:54:29 PM »
These would be the same models that were used to predict the effects of the SARS and MERS pandemics.  SARS and MERS are kissing cousins of COVID-19.
We never learn from history.

What? And break with tradition?
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #2623 on: April 25, 2020, 04:23:12 PM »

"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2624 on: April 25, 2020, 10:24:54 PM »
Lime? Water too soft?

No. It was supposed to help soften the hair so that it could be easily scraped out.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.