Author Topic: COVID-19/corona virus mega thread/prepping thread  (Read 453791 times)

cordex

• Administrator
Re: COVID-19/corona virus mega thread/prepping thread
« Reply #2700 on: April 29, 2020, 08:45:48 AM »
So more government?
He's on your side now!

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #2701 on: April 29, 2020, 08:55:00 AM »
I work in retail at a store location.

We aren't open to the public currently but are operating as a warehouse for internet orders.

There are spray bottles of virex everywhere as well as plastic dispenser tubs of paper towels filled with isopropyl alcohol.

Nobody shares your work station/computer and we are supposed to maintain the six foot distance.

All doors, including bathrooms are propped open.

We all enter and leave at the same time, a manager is tasked with sanitizing the door before and after entering/leaving.

Without a doubt there is a lessened chance of spread of disease from surfaces in our building.

Yet, the whole vibe I'm experiencing is a lot like the airport TSA security theater.

It's frustrating.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #2702 on: April 29, 2020, 09:07:07 AM »
Wrong state for that

Wrong century and wrong political party, but that doesn't stop them.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #2703 on: April 29, 2020, 09:51:09 AM »
Wrong century and wrong political party, but that doesn't stop them.

I still think Indiana for the latest Klan reincarnation.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #2704 on: April 29, 2020, 09:53:02 AM »

???
NYC experienced thousands of “excess deaths” from mid-March to late-April. That's not a forward looking prediction model, it's a comparison to previous years with solid data.
They attributed about ~16.5k of those to Covid19, or about 75% of them. You can argue that they shouldn't attribute that many to the new virus but the excess deaths are not some statistical trickery.

Tragic. I wonder how many of those deaths would not have happened, if the city were still open for business.

https://ricochet.com/752230/are-there-extra-covid-deaths/

Beth Mandel questions how many of the additional deaths are the result of people delaying health care for non-Covid issues, along with "the stress of isolation and financial insecurity."

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #2705 on: April 29, 2020, 09:55:18 AM »

Uranus is a gas giant.

ConstitutionCowboy

• friend
  • My Gender and Pronouns are Standard.
« Reply #2706 on: April 29, 2020, 10:14:24 AM »
Which segues into the following:

More misinformation from the MSM: Today on "CBS This Morning," Gail King spouted misinformation about flying in an airliner and how it is so dangerous because the air in the plane is recirculated. Actually, the air in airliners is constantly refreshed using bleed air from the compressor sections of the jet engines (Some use electric compressors sucking in outside air.). Its how the airliners are pressurized. Air enters the cabin(and cockpit) from the engines after it passes through a turbo-cooler/inter-cooler that allows the high pressure hot air to expand which lowers the pressure and regulates the temperature of the air. The air enters the cabin and then the cabin pressure is regulated by outflow valves.

The air in a typical airliner is actually replaced 10 to 15 times an hour (every 4 to 6 minutes) which is about 5 times faster than in an operating room in a hospital any WAY more often in some places like Walmart, or your local grocery store. That leads me to believe your chances of catching someone else's sniffles on an airliner are at least 10 times less than in Walmart and about 5 times less than in an operating room!

WILL SOMEONE WITH ACCESS TO THE MSM PLEASE INFORM THEM OF WHAT GOES ON IN AN AIRLINER THAT THEIR IGNORANCE AND LACK OF RESEARCH HAS REVEALED!

Woody

Someone got through.

Gail King on "CBS This Morning" more or less recanted her story this morning, by stating that they heard from someone from an airline or an airline manufacturer(didn't catch the whole report) explaining how the air in the cabin is replaced every 2 or 3 minutes and is also passed through a HEPA filter before it enters the cabin.

It isn't very often that someone in the MSM makes any sort of correction for misinformation they have spread. Personally, I can't recall any such correction being made in my lifetime but I'll give them the benefit of the fact that I don't watch them 24/7/365.

Woody
   "Knowing the past, I'll not surrender any arms and march less prepared into the future."   B.E.Wood

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #2707 on: April 29, 2020, 11:06:29 AM »

The ideas that aren't getting shot down are straight from the Overreaction For Dummies handbook (Example: Propping bathroom doors open and posting monitoring staff to make sure people are washing their hands properly).

Brad

Correction necessary.

I found out the person relaying information had conflated two disparate ideas. Idea #1 was propping open the doors so people wouldn't have to touch the handles. Idea #2 was some hair-brained scheme to try and police handwashing.

Apparently someone also came up with the idea to put portable towel dispensers by the doors so people could use them when opening the doors. This was in conjunction with a sanitizer station outside each bathroom-group location. Easy, simple, and effective, so it obviously had to be shot down.

Brad
« Last Edit: April 29, 2020, 12:24:51 PM by Brad Johnson »
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #2708 on: April 29, 2020, 11:28:35 AM »
For most of my life I have refused to touch restroom doors. I have always used a paper towel, part of my clothing, my foot, something, use anything but touch one with my hand. Far too many disgusting people out there. It's bad enough when I see someone go straight from the urinal to the door but I can't count the number of times I've seen someone go straight from an obviously messy #2, from the sound and smell, exit the stall and walk straight to the door. Once saw a cook from a restaurant do that very thing.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #2709 on: April 29, 2020, 11:49:36 AM »
Campus just announced plans for fall, or at least what they intend to accomplish once they come up with actual plans.

We need to recognize that campus life will be different when we return in the fall. Over the last few weeks, we have been closely monitoring the national landscape while several groups have been developing and analyzing various scenarios to bring our students, faculty, and staff back to campus. Social distancing and safety protocols will be critical as we return to our classrooms, labs, and residence halls. Our plans will also include recommendations regarding the use of protective masks, testing and contact-tracing, and other tools. We are developing several ways to reduce the density of groups in our student facilities, large lecture-based classrooms, and our popular campus areas. These same plans extend to special events, including athletics.

One thing that I pull from this is an increased focus on distance learning. Traditionally, the university has fought distance learning tooth and nail, mostly in the form of professorial angst ("How can I expect to effectively teach without my students in the room?!?!?!? *harumph.. harumph.. harumph*"). Students an non-academicians have been pushing it the idea as both wanted and necessary, and that not gearing up for it now is putting the university at serious risk for losing students to more tech-integrated campuses.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #2710 on: April 29, 2020, 12:22:09 PM »
So more government?

???  There already is a health code.
"It's good, though..."

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #2711 on: April 29, 2020, 12:54:40 PM »
???  There already is a health code.

True, but do you need to turn it in to a laundry list of Karen's ideas?

Uranus is a gas giant.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #2712 on: April 29, 2020, 01:10:23 PM »

As someone once said, "This business will get out of control.  It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it."

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2713 on: April 29, 2020, 01:42:14 PM »
Never let a crises go to waste
House Speaker Nancy Pelosi this week floated the possibility of a guaranteed minimum income as part of a potential Phase 4 response to the coronavirus crisis -- an idea being pushed by left-wing members of the Democratic Party such as Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, D-NY., and Sen. Bernie Sanders, I-Vt.
Ocasio-Cortez has called for $2,000 in monthly payments to all families, regardless of immigration status, and $1,000 per child. She was joined by Progressive Caucus leaders and fellow Democratic Reps. Pramila Jayapal of Washington, Mark Pocan of Wisconsin, and "squad members" Reps. Rashida Tlaib of Michigan, Ayanna Pressley of Massachusetts, and Ilhan Omar of Minnesota and activists in demanding an even costlier version of the economic stimulus.
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/pelosi-guaranteed-minimum-income-coronavirus-response
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2714 on: April 29, 2020, 01:47:36 PM »
Never let a crises go to wastehttps://www.foxnews.com/politics/pelosi-guaranteed-minimum-income-coronavirus-response

I don't get a lot of this "plus $1000 per child stuff" they are pushing, mostly because they are the same people that always say we are overpopulated and need to stop having kids. You'd thing they would want to disincentivize it.

Though in their defensive, it would be difficult to pass restricting the $1000/child payment to non-whites only.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2715 on: April 29, 2020, 01:52:09 PM »
Apparently the US epicenter for the virus has not been disinfecting their subway cars this whole time?!? Seems like a good reason to tell them to go to hell with that ~$10 billion in federal aid DeBlasio is demanding.

https://twitchy.com/gregp-3534/2020/04/29/a-little-late-gov-cuomo-finally-orders-nyc-to-disinfect-the-subway-cars-every-night/
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2716 on: April 29, 2020, 01:54:24 PM »
Apparently the US epicenter for the virus has not been disinfecting their subway cars this whole time?!? Seems like a good reason to tell them to go to hell with that ~$10 billion in federal aid DeBlasio is demanding.

https://twitchy.com/gregp-3534/2020/04/29/a-little-late-gov-cuomo-finally-orders-nyc-to-disinfect-the-subway-cars-every-night/

:facepalm:
- Calvin and Hobbes

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #2717 on: April 29, 2020, 02:55:59 PM »
True, but do you need to turn it in to a laundry list of Karen's ideas?

Cuz up til now all the health codes were super libertarian and manly and stuff.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #2718 on: April 29, 2020, 03:00:09 PM »
Cuz up til now all the health codes were super libertarian and manly and stuff.

some make sense, some are WTF. Nothing libertarian about any health code.

Uranus is a gas giant.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2719 on: April 29, 2020, 04:43:47 PM »

JN01

• friend
« Reply #2720 on: April 29, 2020, 04:56:40 PM »
I don't get a lot of this "plus $1000 per child stuff" they are pushing, mostly because they are the same people that always say we are overpopulated and need to stop having kids. You'd thing they would want to disincentivize it.

Though in their defensive, it would be difficult to pass restricting the $1000/child payment to non-whites only.

Seems like it would put a crimp in Planned Parenthood's abortion mill as well.  Maybe they can give them tax money to make up the difference.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #2721 on: April 29, 2020, 04:59:59 PM »
So that vaccine that Oxford says might be ready by September - turns out it could [trigger warning] make British people proud of their country.

Some genius who "teaches" at Oxford is all worried that a British institution will be the hero, instead of globalism.

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/coronavirus-vaccine_uk_5ea067f2c5b6b2e5b83ba372

The race is on and researchers at Oxford are doing vital, life-saving work. But races have winners and losers. If my university is the first to develop the vaccine, I’m worried that it will be used as it has been in the past, to fulfil its political, patriotic function as proof of British excellence.

The story will be clear: China, once again, has unleashed a threat to civilisation. But the best brains of the UK have saved the world.

Whilst I’m hopeful that I will be able to visit my Dad soon, this must not overshadow the key lesson of coronavirus: international cooperation saves lives.

From her bio, as if you needed confirmation.
Dr Emily Cousens researches vulnerability and gender

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #2722 on: April 29, 2020, 05:04:25 PM »
some make sense, some are WTF. Nothing libertarian about any health code.

Then I guess you can't Karenize something that's already Karened.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #2723 on: April 29, 2020, 05:06:30 PM »
Then I guess you can't Karenize something that's already Karened.

Karen says hold my pumpkin spice latte.

Uranus is a gas giant.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2724 on: April 29, 2020, 05:12:27 PM »

Some genius who "teaches" at Oxford is all worried that a British institution will be the hero, instead of globalism.

I hear a cliff screaming free flying lessons
- Calvin and Hobbes