Author Topic: COVID-19/corona virus mega thread/prepping thread  (Read 453137 times)

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Re: COVID-19/corona virus mega thread/prepping thread
« Reply #2750 on: April 30, 2020, 01:51:43 PM »
A foul smell outside a Brooklyn funeral home led to the discovery of dozens of bodies kept in unrefrigerated rented U-Haul trucks

Read that as refrigerated....

Allow me to channel Emily Litella here: NEVER MIND!
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #2751 on: April 30, 2020, 03:10:50 PM »

Do we really have to go through this every day? :'(

If you you don't want to have nonsensical conversations and arguments about phony numbers then yes.

It has to be stipulated the numbers were pulled out of someones ass and don't reflect reality.

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #2752 on: April 30, 2020, 03:48:39 PM »
I actually agree. 

What has been exposed, however, is the dots from representative government to the laws they pass including emergency powers, to how they can actually be applied and used.
It's kind of a made our bed moment.
Then maybe encourage the people who are noticing government overreach - possibly for the first time - instead of making them out to be bleating sheep?

ConstitutionCowboy

• friend
  • My Gender and Pronouns are Standard.
« Reply #2753 on: April 30, 2020, 04:50:58 PM »
Muh constitutionz!  Keep hearing this bleating all over facebook, and somewhat here, too.

“The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the states, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.”

States have elected representatives who have passed emergency powers laws. This is how they enforce curfews after hurricanes and earthquakes, and how they quell riots.
Right, wrong, or indifferent, this is the facts.

Don't forget, however, that like the limited powers We the People grant to the feral government in the Constitution, the same applies to the powers We the People of the several states grant to our respective states. If the people don't grant a certain power to their state government in their state's constitution, any such power remains with the people.

Woody
   "Knowing the past, I'll not surrender any arms and march less prepared into the future."   B.E.Wood

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #2754 on: April 30, 2020, 08:00:34 PM »
I actually agree. 

What has been exposed, however, is the dots from representative government to the laws they pass including emergency powers, to how they can actually be applied and used.
It's kind of a made our bed moment.
The other part is that our elected representatives have appointed judges that are either very reluctant to put any limits on the power of govt or they cheer them on.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #2755 on: April 30, 2020, 08:21:44 PM »
Quote from: some guy on the Internet
This year, Cinco de Mayo falls on Taco Tuesday, but it got cancelled by a virus named for a Mexican beer.
"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2756 on: May 01, 2020, 08:39:27 PM »
I guess everybody had better keep hoarding toilet paper. These guys say it will take up to two years for global herd immunity.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-05-01/covid-19-pandemic-likely-to-last-two-years-report-says
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #2757 on: May 01, 2020, 08:41:24 PM »
Went in to Costco today, zero TP and paper towels. Come on already people.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

ConstitutionCowboy

• friend
« Reply #2758 on: May 01, 2020, 08:58:35 PM »
I wonder how many people spread the flu who didn't show symptoms...

I'd sure like to get to the bottom of all this hype. The death rate doesn't warrant the panic, fear mongering, and dictates.

Woody
   "Knowing the past, I'll not surrender any arms and march less prepared into the future."   B.E.Wood

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #2759 on: May 01, 2020, 09:25:51 PM »
My wife went to our local Costco on Thursday, and there was no toilet paper, nor any fresh or frozen chicken. She likes keeping a bag of the Costco individual cyrovac packed boneless skinless chicken breasts in the freezer.  None to be had, or any other chicken parts.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2760 on: May 01, 2020, 10:21:15 PM »
My wife went to our local Costco on Thursday, and there was no toilet paper, nor any fresh or frozen chicken. She likes keeping a bag of the Costco individual cyrovac packed boneless skinless chicken breasts in the freezer.  None to be had, or any other chicken parts.

I haven't been since this all started. Are they out of the five buck deli chickens too, or not making them because of the virus?

Everyone has been talking about the meat shortage, and I saw news stories of bare shelves today, but at my grocery store yesterday, still fully stocked on beef, pork, and chickens.

I've been going through my frozen meat.  I should maybe pick more up at my store in case city slickers drive out here and empty the shelves again.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #2761 on: May 01, 2020, 10:23:58 PM »
I wonder how many people spread the flu who didn't show symptoms...

I'd sure like to get to the bottom of all this hype. The death rate doesn't warrant the panic, fear mongering, and dictates.

That depends on where you live. My county alone has 7,900 confirmed cases and 533 deaths. That's since the second week of March, so eight weeks. Population is around 850,000, so the death rate is 6.75% of cases, and .06% of the total population.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #2762 on: May 01, 2020, 10:30:29 PM »
I didn't check out the meat dept at Walmart today, but I did walk the paper goods aisle.  There was a little bit (15% or so) of the TP side filled, mostly with the generic WM stuff.  On the other hand, the PT side was 99% full.  They only had the generic and Brawny towels, but they used them to fill in where other brands were supposed to be.  

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #2763 on: May 01, 2020, 11:10:22 PM »
That depends on where you live. My county alone has 7,900 confirmed cases and 533 deaths. That's since the second week of March, so eight weeks. Population is around 850,000, so the death rate is 6.75% of cases, and .06% of the total population.

The problem is with the number of "confirmed cases".
The actual number of total cases is unknown but we have seen reports from a couple of places that put the suspected total of cases higher by a factor of 10 or more.
I suspect that if we ever get enough testing capacity to cover a significant portion of the population we will find that huge numbers of people carry the anitbody with out ever experiencing any symptoms or had very minor symptoms.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #2764 on: May 02, 2020, 12:16:09 AM »
I guess everybody had better keep hoarding toilet paper. These guys say it will take up to two years for global herd immunity.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-05-01/covid-19-pandemic-likely-to-last-two-years-report-says

Given how inaccurate  most modeling has been about this Andromeda Strain  Covid 19 bug so far why believe them?  Herd immunity has been prolonged by our stupid - @$$   brilliant lock-down policies but .... two years? 
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #2765 on: May 02, 2020, 01:28:05 AM »
The actual number of total cases is unknown but we have seen reports from a couple of places that put the suspected total of cases higher by a factor of 10 or more.
I suspect that if we ever get enough testing capacity to cover a significant portion of the population we will find that huge numbers of people carry the anitbody with out ever experiencing any symptoms or had very minor symptoms.

True.

The other problem with our lack of testing capability/capacity is that recovery is supposed to be determined on the basis of two negative tests taken 24 hours apart. We don't have enough testing capacity to test all suspect cases in the "in" side of the bell curve, so I'm sure we're not testing every patient -- twice -- on the "out" side of the curve to verify that they have recovered.

Basically ... we're flying blind.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #2766 on: May 02, 2020, 08:28:25 AM »

Basically ... we're flying blind.

and we have to rely on for our information institutions and people who have shown themselves to be if not untrustworthy at the minimum incompetent.

I haven't abandoned my position on holding to the precautionary principle yet but the more real information that leaks out the more I'm chafing at the situation.

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2767 on: May 02, 2020, 09:11:57 AM »
I'd like to hear input from our medical professionals on this, but how much is testing capacity related to $$$? I wonder if money would have been better spent instead of giving $1200 checks and unemployment that pays more than people's jobs, had it been put into vastly increasing and speeding up testing? Or even if we put a bajillion dollars into it, would there still be other significant bottlenecks?

The way some new information is looking regarding how many untested people may have had the virus, including with symptoms too mild to notice, the infection vs mortality rate might have let us reopen things a month ago.

For myself, on days in the last couple of months that I've had a little cough or a runny nose, I was wondering if it was just pollen or hey, [paranoid] did I catch the virus? Had there been a quick and easy way for me to get a test (both for the virus and for antibodies), I would have already had myself tested just for the heck of it. With all the restrictions on who can be tested, due to the lack of testing materials and personnel, there was no easy way for me to do that.

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #2768 on: May 02, 2020, 09:50:25 AM »
I'd like to hear input from our medical professionals on this, but how much is testing capacity related to $$$? I wonder if money would have been better spent instead of giving $1200 checks and unemployment that pays more than people's jobs, had it been put into vastly increasing and speeding up testing? Or even if we put a bajillion dollars into it, would there still be other significant bottlenecks?

The way some new information is looking regarding how many untested people may have had the virus, including with symptoms too mild to notice, the infection vs mortality rate might have let us reopen things a month ago.

For myself, on days in the last couple of months that I've had a little cough or a runny nose, I was wondering if it was just pollen or hey, [paranoid] did I catch the virus? Had there been a quick and easy way for me to get a test (both for the virus and for antibodies), I would have already had myself tested just for the heck of it. With all the restrictions on who can be tested, due to the lack of testing materials and personnel, there was no easy way for me to do that.
You raise a good question. Our politicians were in a rush to throw money out there hey not because it’s an election year.
At risk people and known positives could have sheltered appropriately and much of the healthy world could have continued to function in a less limited way. And dammit they could have kept the public access lakes open for fishing.
I have a part time employee that only wanted to work 2-2.5 days a week or 16-20 hours for the past 3 years. She has never been more than just adequate as an employee. She was averaging around $200 a week pre pandemic. Now she doesn’t want to come back because she got her $1200 impact bonus and is getting unemployment PLUS another $600 per week for being such a pitiful victim of unemployment. IF I tell her we need her back and she says she has concerns about working with the public (she has asthma) or gets sick or has a sick family member, I could be required to pay her full wages for up to 80 hours plus a bunch of other expenses possibly including work comp. and I have to provide PPE etc.
All that small business disaster impact free and loaned money I got will be very soon gone.
So I received about $10k in SBA grants and loans, I’m losing about $10k per month in reduced business income, and my costs and risks going forward are up up up.
Is it to late to just bomb China?
What we have here is failure to communicate.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #2769 on: May 02, 2020, 10:10:16 AM »

I have a part time employee that only wanted to work 2-2.5 days a week or 16-20 hours for the past 3 years. She has never been more than just adequate as an employee. She was averaging around $200 a week pre pandemic. Now she doesn’t want to come back because she got her $1200 impact bonus and is getting unemployment PLUS another $600 per week for being such a pitiful victim of unemployment. IF I tell her we need her back and she says she has concerns about working with the public (she has asthma) or gets sick or has a sick family member, I could be required to pay her full wages for up to 80 hours plus a bunch of other expenses possibly including work comp. and I have to provide PPE etc.

Are you saying that you could be required to pay full-time wages to someone who has always been a half-time (or less) employee? That doesn't make sense. (But ... we're talking government rules, so who said it has to make sense/)

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #2770 on: May 02, 2020, 10:11:07 AM »
More lockdown news

New Mexico Gov. Lujan Grisham invoked the state’s Riot Control Act to slow the spread of coronavirus and sealed off the roads into and out of the hard-hit city of Gallup, she announced Friday.

To help control a surging outbreak in the city, the Democratic governor locked down the city at the request of Gallup’s mayor, Grisham said in a news release.
Beginning noon Friday, all roads into the city were shut down and businesses were required to close from 5 p.m. until 8 a.m. in the city of 70,000. Additionally, only two people are allowed in a vehicle at the same time.
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/new-mexico-governor-orders-roads-closed-gallup-stop-coronavirus-spread
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

ConstitutionCowboy

• friend
« Reply #2771 on: May 02, 2020, 10:17:41 AM »

If this is true(probably is), then we already have and have had heard immunity for some time. What we are seeing would then be cases of this "flu" in some of the stragglers. (Your speculation might differ from mine.)

:old:

Woody

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #2772 on: May 02, 2020, 11:26:23 AM »
Are you saying that you could be required to pay full-time wages to someone who has always been a half-time (or less) employee? That doesn't make sense. (But ... we're talking government rules, so who said it has to make sense/)
No. Her usual wages up to 80 hours
What we have here is failure to communicate.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #2773 on: May 02, 2020, 12:45:04 PM »
https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/patients-struggle-to-get-uws-touted-test-amid-misinformation-suspicion-about-reliability-of-coronavirus-antibody-tests/

A good article about antibody testing.  So far, the Abbott tests seem to be the most reliable albeit availability is still very limited.  There are a lot of other antibody tests out there but accuracy is suspect.

The issue cited in the article about not being able to order it yet is because there is as yet no widely-available lab interface or orders for the testing built into Epic, the largest electronic medical records system in the country.  Many healthcare systems are having to fall back on paper forms and faxing them to the lab or having the patient hand-carry them to the testing site.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

TFerguson

• Simply Triggers - AR Parts and Accessories
« Reply #2774 on: May 02, 2020, 01:18:54 PM »
Sheep make a lot of noise when they are being herded.
It is hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong. -Thomas Sowell

https://www.simplytriggers.com/