Author Topic: COVID-19/corona virus mega thread/prepping thread  (Read 453623 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: COVID-19/corona virus mega thread/prepping thread
« Reply #2825 on: May 06, 2020, 10:58:30 AM »
Regarding meat, I stopped at the local grocery this morning. They weren't fully stocked, but probably 75% of usual. They were just rolling out a big cart of chicken from the back when I was there. They did have a two item limit sign though. I just grabbed one family pack of New York steaks. I have to go to the farm store later today, so maybe I'll stop at their main market in Oregon on the way home and see what that meat counter looks like. That's where their main butcher shop is. Probably pick up another pack of whatever good steak they have for the freezer.

Right now I have probably 10lbs of ground beef and maybe ten various cuts of beef in the freezer, so I'm technically a little low on stock.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #2826 on: May 06, 2020, 12:04:23 PM »
Regarding meat, I stopped at the local grocery this morning. They weren't fully stocked, but probably 75% of usual. They were just rolling out a big cart of chicken from the back when I was there. They did have a two item limit sign though. I just grabbed one family pack of New York steaks. I have to go to the farm store later today, so maybe I'll stop at their main market in Oregon on the way home and see what that meat counter looks like. That's where their main butcher shop is. Probably pick up another pack of whatever good steak they have for the freezer.

Right now I have probably 10lbs of ground beef and maybe ten various cuts of beef in the freezer, so I'm technically a little low on stock.

I guess Steve will be moving on then.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2827 on: May 06, 2020, 12:11:18 PM »
I guess Steve will be moving on then.

:rofl:
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Perd Hapley

• friend

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #2829 on: May 06, 2020, 01:20:02 PM »
https://www.dailywire.com/news/healthcare-workers-who-volunteered-to-help-ny-fight-covid-will-have-to-pay-state-income-taxes

Of course they will. Because leftists are evil.

It's funny that the people who decry the evils of "profit" sure are concerned about making sure they get their cut. 
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #2830 on: May 06, 2020, 01:24:20 PM »
Well yeah, what did they expect?  New York is known for it's taxes.

Although it does beg the question: or what?  If yo don't live, or go to, New York and have no intention to return what happens if you decline to pay?  Do they have some sort of interstate extradition compact? Can they put a  lien on your federal taxes?

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #2831 on: May 06, 2020, 01:58:04 PM »
I just waiting for the first round of Civil Liberties lawsuits. That's when the real fun will begin.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #2832 on: May 06, 2020, 02:17:57 PM »
Where's the beef?

18 percent of Wendy's locations not offering beef items, restaurant analyst says
https://www.foxnews.com/food-drink/1-in-5-wendys-restaurants-not-offering-beef-analyst-says
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #2833 on: May 06, 2020, 02:47:48 PM »
Well yeah, what did they expect?  New York is known for it's taxes.

Although it does beg the question: or what?  If yo don't live, or go to, New York and have no intention to return what happens if you decline to pay?  Do they have some sort of interstate extradition compact? Can they put a  lien on your federal taxes?
I imagine they would file a lawsuit in the State of New York since that is where they worked.  With NY judges, fighting it would probably be more expensive than the taxes.  I am not sure how it would work in criminal court. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #2834 on: May 06, 2020, 03:40:51 PM »

I really doubt many people outside of NY or it's surrounding states know anything about NY's tax policies. And I doubt many of those out-of-state workers thought about it when they signed up. I hope it was still worth their while.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #2835 on: May 06, 2020, 04:05:59 PM »
I have no problem with them paying taxes in the state in which it was earned. It is one of the pitfalls of working in multiple states.

When I was a traveling nurse it was not unusual to have to file taxes in 3 or so states. I don't know how many of these health-care workers were volunteers in the sense they went there for no pay, oh probably none. When this first started I was getting 3 or 4 emails a day telling me how much money (up to 5K a week) I could make by doing a travel assignment in NYC. A lot of travel companies will decrease the pay and maximize the per diem and housing so it looks like you made less money during a travel assignment.

bob

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #2836 on: May 06, 2020, 04:30:23 PM »
I have no problem with them paying taxes in the state in which it was earned. It is one of the pitfalls of working in multiple states.

They're certainly within their rights to do it. It just looks terrible for the state to be so hard-up for help, and beg people to come in and put themselves at risk of catching the plague, and then hit them up for tax money. Especially when that tax money won't benefit those out-of-state people in any way.

BobR

• friend
« Reply #2837 on: May 06, 2020, 05:21:09 PM »
It may look bad from your point of view which I can understand. I look at it as many people flocked to the state to work because they were going to be able to make quite a bit more money that they would have if they stayed where they were at or if between jobs. They saw a chance to make the big bucks, took it and now have to pay the taxes on it. I guess it depends on how you look at it and how you perceive the reason for the people going there to work.

bob

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #2838 on: May 06, 2020, 05:26:18 PM »
And then depending on home state they get to pay taxes on that money again.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

JN01

• friend
« Reply #2839 on: May 06, 2020, 05:41:40 PM »
I just waiting for the first round of Civil Liberties lawsuits. That's when the real fun will begin.

Brad

Hell, yeah.

Hawkmoon

• friend
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #2841 on: May 06, 2020, 06:24:50 PM »
https://www.dailywire.com/news/chinese-scientist-on-verge-of-very-significant-coronavirus-findings-murdered-in-pittsburgh

Don't they know it's racist to say that things come from China?

So a more politically correct report would have been, "Somebody shot someone, and then shot himself"?

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #2842 on: May 06, 2020, 06:29:34 PM »

Although it does beg the question: or what?  If yo don't live, or go to, New York and have no intention to return what happens if you decline to pay?  Do they have some sort of interstate extradition compact? Can they put a  lien on your federal taxes?

But this isn't taxing income earned in New York. This is making volunteers who had income from other sources pay tax on all income -- from all sources -- they received while they were volunteering (as in, working without pay) in New York.

This is beneath contempt.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #2843 on: May 06, 2020, 07:36:47 PM »
So a more politically correct report would have been, "Somebody shot someone, and then shot himself"?

Nope. You assumed xis gender.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #2844 on: May 06, 2020, 07:38:53 PM »
I'm sure it's just a coincidence ...

So I have been working in healthcare for 44 years, have met thousands of physicians, and as far as I know, not one of them has fallen out a hospital window.  Amazing coincidences in the Rodina, I guess.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

BobR

• friend
« Reply #2845 on: May 06, 2020, 07:46:06 PM »
But this isn't taxing income earned in New York. This is making volunteers who had income from other sources pay tax on all income -- from all sources -- they received while they were volunteering (as in, working without pay) in New York.

This is beneath contempt.

Now that I can see the article, yes you are absolutely right. Frickin DB of a state.

bob

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #2846 on: May 07, 2020, 01:11:09 AM »
Now that I can see the article, yes you are absolutely right. Frickin DB of a state.

bob

A friend of mine, an RN, had the chance to leave the relative safety of her work-from-home health insurance gig in the Midwest; to make considerably more in NYC. In a hospital, I assume. So I guess I don't think of it as cashing in. More like making hazard pay for a riskier detail.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #2847 on: May 07, 2020, 02:08:32 AM »
One of my friends actually resigned from her full time job at a hospital in FL to go to NYC and help out.  The hospital she worked at wouldn't OK an open ended leave of abcense.  Now, she'll probably get rehired, but still, she left her full time gig w/ retirement for a short time gig with good pay, but no benefits and much more risk because the people of NYC said they needed help.

I'm not surprised at all the NY wants taxes.  They absolutly should waive those taxes, but I'm not surprised they aren't going to.  I am a little surprised they think they have a claim on taxes from income that was generated out of state just because the person worked there.  I am sure I would not disclose any income to NYS that wasn't generated by orking there.

That said, while I'm sure this compies with NY's laws, and it's not surprising to me in the least, I think it should definately be remembered the next time NY asks for help from the rest of the country.....Oh wait, they are asking fo rit now.  That same article says if the Feds don't give them our money horrible things will happen.

I am reminded of the story of the Frog and the Scorpion.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2848 on: May 07, 2020, 08:38:57 AM »

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #2849 on: May 07, 2020, 10:01:09 AM »
Burn it to the ground.