Author Topic: COVID-19/corona virus mega thread/prepping thread  (Read 453739 times)

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
Re: COVID-19/corona virus mega thread/prepping thread
« Reply #4225 on: November 15, 2020, 01:48:47 PM »
I found it interesting to see the CDC telling hospitals not to buy the freezers. Expensive, yes, but $10K doesn't seem like all that much compared to other medical equipment. Certainly I wouldn't expect a rural clinic to buy one, but it seems like an appropriate expense for a rural/regional hospital.

It appears at least a half dozen facilities within an hour of me have the freezers. How much vaccine they can hold to cover the region I do not know, but an hour drive, or even two or three, is not a big deal, whether it be a rural resident, or a hospital delivering vaccine to a rural clinic, where, IIRC, the vaccine can be stored for 48 hours in normal refrigeration to be handed out to elderly, etc. that can't travel.

I know Dogmush mentioned that military resources to help with distribution are being ramped up, so mobile military medical units could be a workaround for freezers in very rural areas.

Just my layman's perspective, since I know zero about distribution and logistics in the medical field.

Liquid nitrogen and dewars are ubiquitous.  For short duration storage you don't necessarily need anything more.

ConstitutionCowboy

• friend
  • My Gender and Pronouns are Standard.
« Reply #4226 on: November 15, 2020, 04:05:49 PM »
Liquid nitrogen and dewars are ubiquitous.  For short duration storage you don't necessarily need anything more.

That was my first thought as well.

Woody
   "Knowing the past, I'll not surrender any arms and march less prepared into the future."   B.E.Wood

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #4228 on: November 15, 2020, 06:21:11 PM »
The efficacy of masks is a debate worth having, but I have begun and will end with the opinion that expecting people to wear masks everywhere they go is not a reasonable request. Even if it seems reasonable to some, there exists a minority of us that find them intolerable. Not that I expect any sympathy for my weakness. I expect only unbelieving scorn. Nothing new for me.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #4230 on: November 15, 2020, 09:28:23 PM »
The WA restrictions include not have non-family members over unless they have been quarantined for a week and tested negative.  Not that we were intending to have anyone over for thanksgiving anyway, but they basically just made Thanksgiving gatherings illegal.

I guessing compliance will be low.

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #4231 on: November 15, 2020, 09:32:28 PM »
The WA restrictions include not have non-family members over unless they have been quarantined for a week and tested negative.  Not that we were intending to have anyone over for thanksgiving anyway, but they basically just made Thanksgiving gatherings illegal.

I guessing compliance will be low.

Again, where are the lawsuits?  The governor can't just mandate new "rules".
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4232 on: November 15, 2020, 09:47:26 PM »
Again, where are the lawsuits?  The governor can't just mandate new "rules".

A little tinfoily, but I can't help but think part of this is related to the left's hatred of Thanksgiving. They dislike Christmas, so we'll see what the rules are then. After that, we'll see how restricted MLK Day gatherings are. Or Biden's swearing in parties.

EDIT: Well...

https://twitchy.com/gregp-3534/2020/11/15/dr-fauci-warns-about-christmas-gatherings-says-masks-and-social-distancing-needed-even-with-a-vaccine/
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #4233 on: November 15, 2020, 10:07:26 PM »
^^^More like a lot tinfoilly.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #4234 on: November 15, 2020, 10:08:19 PM »
Again, where are the lawsuits?  The governor can't just mandate new "rules".

You can challenge the new rules in court, or you can just ignore them.  Which is cheaper?  If you're a bar or restaurant or barber with a state-issued license to operate, court might be cheaper than risking losing you license.  For normal people, just ignore and keep a low profile.
"It's good, though..."

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #4235 on: November 15, 2020, 10:13:37 PM »
You can challenge the new rules in court, or you can just ignore them.  Which is cheaper?  If you're a bar or restaurant or barber with a state-issued license to operate, court might be cheaper than risking losing you license.  For normal people, just ignore and keep a low profile.

This is my point.  These stupid mandates are putting many businesses on track for bankruptcy and there isn't so much as a concerted legal effort to oppose them?  If that's the case,  every other noise we've ever made that sounds like Molon Labe is a joke.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4236 on: November 15, 2020, 11:24:55 PM »

I guess, except for the whole blm and biden celebration immunity.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #4237 on: November 15, 2020, 11:39:14 PM »
In Wisconsin and at least one other state but I don't remember where, the diktats have been challenged in court and struck down, because the executive branch did not have the authority to issue them (or only for 45 days), or because there was a specific process to do it legally and they didn't even try to follow the process.

Here's my problem: the mayor or the governor or the secretary of health issues an order that no more than 6 people can gather for Thanksgiving dinner.  (what if you're the Duggars and have 10 people in your household?)  Well, *expletive deleted*ck you, I will invite as many as I want.  But how many do I actually want to invite?  Zero.  :mad:  It's the same with the masks; I wear a KN95 mask when I go out because I can't get a real N95, and it protects me.  (it protects you from me even more, but I don't care about that)  I also wash my hands a lot and I don't go out much.  It kinda pisses me off when someone gives me an illegal order to do what I'm already doing anyway  🖕 (it's kinda small but that's a middle finger, not a thumb)
"It's good, though..."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #4238 on: November 16, 2020, 07:12:02 AM »
Starting to see purchase limit signs again.

Went grocery shopping yesterday and there were purchase limit signs on a number of products in the paper goods and cleaning aisles.

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #4239 on: November 16, 2020, 08:32:35 AM »

The left wants to remove the influence of Christian morality and ethics from the public square, via both the debauchery of the entertainment industry and legislation.

The left has waged legal battles for decades against the people exercising their religious liberty at any event or activity that the government is involved with regardless of the wishes of the participants.

The left unhappy with their above successes want to now control the actual public assembly of Christians and I suspect soon will try and legislate what can be said from the pulpit.

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4240 on: November 16, 2020, 08:34:33 AM »
In Wisconsin and at least one other state but I don't remember where, the diktats have been challenged in court and struck down, because the executive branch did not have the authority to issue them (or only for 45 days), or because there was a specific process to do it legally and they didn't even try to follow the process.

Here's my problem: the mayor or the governor or the secretary of health issues an order that no more than 6 people can gather for Thanksgiving dinner.  (what if you're the Duggars and have 10 people in your household?)  Well, *expletive deleted*ck you, I will invite as many as I want.  But how many do I actually want to invite?  Zero.  :mad:  It's the same with the masks; I wear a KN95 mask when I go out because I can't get a real N95, and it protects me.  (it protects you from me even more, but I don't care about that)  I also wash my hands a lot and I don't go out much.  It kinda pisses me off when someone gives me an illegal order to do what I'm already doing anyway  🖕 (it's kinda small but that's a middle finger, not a thumb)

I just read this morning that the WA governor is livid at the ID governor because he won't order the same kind of restrictions as WA (bordering states). Yet as you point out above, what's the point of a ridiculously restrictive order that no one will follow? Seems it makes you look weaker as a leader. The ID governor does recommend similar things, like reducing the number of guests in a private home, but doesn't enforce it.

If he did, it would be kind of ridiculous, because like many other governors, he has an exemption for political and religious gatherings. That encourages that middle finger that Bob gave above when at the same time you are ORDERING people to keep numbers in their own homes smaller than many families. Plus again, not differentiating between an apartment and a McMansion with the occupancy requirements.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #4241 on: November 16, 2020, 09:02:57 AM »
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/11/16/moderna-says-its-coronavirus-vaccine-is-more-than-94percent-effective.html

Dow futures are up over 400 points on 10/16/2020 on news of the Moderna vaccine testing out at 94% effective.  It does not need a super cold chain, unlike the Pfizer vaccine.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #4242 on: November 16, 2020, 02:48:57 PM »
Ugh... just ugh...

The customer I support is now STRONGLY suggesting that people don't travel at all for Thanksgiving, even within the same state... Basically stay at home and celebrate with who and what you've got.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

ConstitutionCowboy

• friend
  • My Gender and Pronouns are Standard.
« Reply #4243 on: November 16, 2020, 05:00:38 PM »
Starting to see purchase limit signs again.

Went grocery shopping yesterday and there were purchase limit signs on a number of products in the paper goods and cleaning aisles.

I think they do that so you'll come back more often to level out their cash flow - and help spread the virus if you have it, or can get more exposure to it.  >:D

Woody
   "Knowing the past, I'll not surrender any arms and march less prepared into the future."   B.E.Wood

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #4244 on: November 16, 2020, 05:08:32 PM »
North Dakota went to a state wide mask mandate (11-14-2020)

Failure to comply comes with a penalty of up to $1,000, though it’s unclear how the order will be enforced.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4245 on: November 16, 2020, 05:19:32 PM »
Failure to comply comes with a penalty of up to $1,000, though it’s unclear how the order will be enforced.

Capriciously.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #4246 on: November 16, 2020, 05:24:39 PM »
The local stores and Costco locations are cleaned out of toilet paper, paper towels, disinfecting wipes and sanitizer.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4247 on: November 16, 2020, 05:32:28 PM »
The local stores and Costco locations are cleaned out of toilet paper, paper towels, disinfecting wipes and sanitizer.

Shoot. I was at Costco this morning and forgot to do an APS inventory check in that section since  Ididn't need anything.

I will say that my Costco had a ton of little 12-15lb turkeys and only a few larger turkeys, which seems to jive with people having smaller gatherings. I bought two twelve pounders. The second because it's hard to find turkeys at Xmas.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #4248 on: November 16, 2020, 05:44:00 PM »
Shoot. I was at Costco this morning and forgot to do an APS inventory check in that section since  Ididn't need anything.

I will say that my Costco had a ton of little 12-15lb turkeys and only a few larger turkeys, which seems to jive with people having smaller gatherings. I bought two twelve pounders. The second because it's hard to find turkeys at Xmas.

Is it cold enough there yet to store the extra turkey in the trunk of your car?   :lol:  It's not quite that cold here yet.  I'm kinda hoping we get there next week (and lose most of the clouds and wind and humidity) just so I can buy an extra turkey or two while they are on sale at Aldi.
"It's good, though..."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4249 on: November 16, 2020, 05:57:28 PM »
Is it cold enough there yet to store the extra turkey in the trunk of your car? 

Almost, but in the meantime I'm making good use of the new chest freezer.  :laugh: