Author Topic: COVID-19/corona virus mega thread/prepping thread  (Read 453774 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: COVID-19/corona virus mega thread/prepping thread
« Reply #4325 on: November 20, 2020, 02:12:07 PM »
Ugh, that sucks.

My friends in Iowa took me to a restaurant they're very fond of when I was out in 2018. It's the one where I discovered Walleye.

He e-mailed me a few weeks ago all distraught... Covid killed it.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #4326 on: November 20, 2020, 02:35:21 PM »
It occurs to me to ask...

Aren't there a number of diseases that can be very serious, can spread in a similar fashion to the Wu-flu, and have been with us for some time? If wearing masks in public is a reasonable means of saving people from those diseases, why haven't we been wearing them for the past hundred years, or however long it is we've known about germs?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #4327 on: November 20, 2020, 04:18:17 PM »

Aren't there a number of diseases that can be very serious, can spread in a similar fashion to the Wu-flu, and have been with us for some time? If wearing masks in public is a reasonable means of saving people from those diseases, why haven't we been wearing them for the past hundred years, or however long it is we've known about germs?

I think they do in Japan and maybe Korea.  We don't in America because we are Americans, dammit!  At least we used to be.  (I still think voluntary masks is a good idea right now)  I know I'm a hypocrite; join the club.
"It's good, though..."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #4328 on: November 20, 2020, 04:23:05 PM »
BECAUSE REASONS, GODDAMN IT!

HOW DARE YOU QUESTION YOUR INTELLECTUAL, POLITICAL, AND SOCIAL SUPERIORS!

PUT ON YOUR MASK!
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #4329 on: November 20, 2020, 04:27:17 PM »
BECAUSE REASONS, GODDAMN IT!

HOW DARE YOU QUESTION YOUR INTELLECTUAL, POLITICAL, AND SOCIAL SUPERIORS!

PUT ON YOUR MASK!

I don't have many intellectual superiors. (probably a few on this board, and some of the people I work with, and maybe my pastor)  Political and social superiors?  Yeah, pretty much everybody :D
"It's good, though..."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #4330 on: November 20, 2020, 04:30:42 PM »
You're a cisnormal white male shitlord! You have NO intellect, you insect!

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #4331 on: November 20, 2020, 05:16:53 PM »
I think they do in Japan and maybe Korea. 

Japanese and Koreans have not been wearing masks en masse for a hundred years.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #4332 on: November 20, 2020, 05:28:59 PM »
Japanese and Koreans have not been wearing masks en masse for a hundred years.

Whenever I see pictures of crowds from over there, there's almost always one or two people wearing a mask.  (or maybe that's China and I'm a racist bastard who thinks they all look alike)  that's going back for years.  I assume it's people who are sick or think they might be sick.  That's the way to do it, IMHO.
"It's good, though..."

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #4333 on: November 20, 2020, 05:39:14 PM »
Whenever I see pictures of crowds from over there, there's almost always one or two people wearing a mask.  (or maybe that's China and I'm a racist bastard who thinks they all look alike)  that's going back for years.  I assume it's people who are sick or think they might be sick.  That's the way to do it, IMHO.

Those are Chinese tourists, and I've seen buses discharging them at obligatory photo stops on tours. They ALL wear masks. They're like lemmings -- they don't take the time to read any historical markers or anything, they just get off the bus, they get in line to have their photo taken with the [__insert name of building or vista of interest __] in the background, then they all file back onto the bus and motor off to the next photo op.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4334 on: November 20, 2020, 05:41:44 PM »
A lot of China masks for the past decade have been for pollution.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4335 on: November 20, 2020, 05:58:52 PM »
2020 is so ridiculous that there is an Emmy award for virus response, and it's going to Cuomo.

https://www.foxnews.com/media/gov-andrew-cuomo-to-receive-emmy-award-for-his-leadership-during-pandemic

"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #4336 on: November 20, 2020, 07:09:06 PM »
Stopped at the local WM to pickup some paper goods.  There was one bay of house brand paper towels and <20 packages of Brawny.  On the tp side there were 3 packs of Cottenelle, and half a bay of house brand.

They're still pretty well stocked in the meat dept.  Not very many large turkeys, most seemed to be around the 12lb range.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #4337 on: November 20, 2020, 07:19:25 PM »
I just got back from Sam's Club and Aldi.  I didn't check for tp at Aldi, but Sam's was out of it.  Sam's also didn't have #10 cans of any tomato products except diced and tomato sauce.  I used to buy Hunt's pizza sauce there for less than $3 per huge can; when I asked about it they said "we don't sell that anymore"  :'(  Probably because Costco doesn't sell it so now they don't have to either.

Aldi had plenty of 20 lb turkeys.  I didn't get one because it's too early, but I may regret that when I go to buy one on Tuesday and they are all gone.  They were a little low on 12-15 pounders.
"It's good, though..."

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #4338 on: November 20, 2020, 07:23:01 PM »
I have some awesome looking thick steaks from a cow in the the field by the house. Then the girls decided they wanted tuna. WTF?

They are fired.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #4339 on: November 20, 2020, 07:26:33 PM »

Start naming them, but let's start after modern microbiology/immunology so 1930s and forward. Exclude any disease that vaccines have essentially controlled, doesn't have a 1-3% mortality rate of the infected, isn't highly contagious, isn't aerosol/airborne, or not normally present in 1st world nations.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #4340 on: November 20, 2020, 07:30:27 PM »
Start naming them, but let's start after modern microbiology/immunology so 1930s and forward. Exclude any disease that vaccines have essentially controlled, doesn't have a 1-3% mortality rate, isn't highly contagious, isn't aerosol/airborne, or not normally present in 1st world nations.

Measles would do it, if too many stupid people don't get vaccinated.  We almost had that one eradicated, then people stopped getting vaccines, and we started importing potential new Democrats from 3rd world shithole countries and they brought it with them.  BTW, I put most of that blame on the anti-vax'ers, not the loose borders.
"It's good, though..."

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #4341 on: November 20, 2020, 11:38:05 PM »
Whenever I see pictures of crowds from over there, there's almost always one or two people wearing a mask.  (or maybe that's China and I'm a racist bastard who thinks they all look alike)  that's going back for years.  I assume it's people who are sick or think they might be sick.  That's the way to do it, IMHO.

I don't know what year you're living in, but in 2020, we're not talking about one or two people wearing masks as a personal choice. We're talking about the entire population being told we're all heartless granny-killers if we leave the house with our faces unmasked. That's a big ask.

Start naming them, but let's start after modern microbiology/immunology so 1930s and forward. Exclude any disease that vaccines have essentially controlled, doesn't have a 1-3% mortality rate of the infected, isn't highly contagious, isn't aerosol/airborne, or not normally present in 1st world nations.

No need to bark orders.

I asked about diseases that "can be very serious, can spread in a similar fashion to the Wu-flu, and have been with us for some time." I didn't say they had to have similar mortality rates. As an example, there's a yearly campaign for people to get flu vaccines, and many people do. This suggests the disease is fairly "serious," and spreads easily. Mortality rates aside, no one wants to have the flu, or give it to an older relative. Yet we haven't seen the equivalent of the current mask mandates.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #4342 on: November 21, 2020, 01:03:28 AM »
Brief background: California's governor Newsom has been pushing for some particularly draconian restrictions in the name of fighting the China virus.  Then he partied at a posh restaurant in the Napa Valley where there were no masks or social distancing.  Congressman Tom McClintock responds with his trademark snark:

https://www.mymotherlode.com/news/local/1383191/mcclintock-let-us-not-criticize-governor-newsom.html

"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #4343 on: November 21, 2020, 08:05:24 AM »
Brief background: California's governor Newsom has been pushing for some particularly draconian restrictions in the name of fighting the China virus.  Then he partied at a posh restaurant in the Napa Valley where there were no masks or social distancing.  Congressman Tom McClintock responds with his trademark snark:

https://www.mymotherlode.com/news/local/1383191/mcclintock-let-us-not-criticize-governor-newsom.html

It would only shock me if he didn't do something like this.
The ultra rich flaunt their wealth, the elites flaunt their privileged
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #4344 on: November 21, 2020, 08:33:55 AM »
The rich and powerful on the left act like the China virus isn't that dangerous when nobody is looking.

The influential people in "science" falsely called so act like the risk isn't that great when among their own or nobody is looking (Fauci a couple times for instance).

The rich and powerful on the right act like the China virus isn't that dangerous when nobody is looking as well.

We have seen it not once, not twice but, we have seen it multiple times across the country and we know the truth.

The virus has ripped through the Trump White House and ... everyone is back to work.

The virus is impacting my place of business also as folks either contract it or are part of the contact tracing, then two weeks later ... wait for it ... they come back to work.

Extraordinary Popular Delusions and the Madness of Crowds is not an organic happenstance (it can be though), often it is the direct manipulation of the people using all the tools of persuasion by those who hold the reins of power.

The virus isn't a hoax or a delusion, the response has been madness and delusional or ... the response has been carefully planned to kick off a great reset?

You know what I mean  ;)

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #4345 on: November 21, 2020, 10:26:39 AM »
Trump Jr. has it. Guess that explains the dancing in the streets
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

ConstitutionCowboy

• friend
  • My Gender and Pronouns are Standard.
« Reply #4346 on: November 21, 2020, 10:53:35 AM »
Measles would do it, if too many stupid people don't get vaccinated.  We almost had that one eradicated, then people stopped getting vaccines, and we started importing potential new Democrats from 3rd world shithole countries and they brought it with them.  BTW, I put most of that blame on the anti-vax'ers, not the loose borders.

If you have had your vaccine, what's your beef with people who haven't had a vaccine? You're covered/protected, right? The root of the problem is with the illegal aliens since they have not had the health screening and vaccine regimen required by the law to enter this country. I spent the better part of a day when I enlisted in the Navy back in '66 undergoing a health exam and received myriad inoculations to be able to sail the Seven Seas and cross many borders. I expect nothing less from people crossing our borders.

Woody
   "Knowing the past, I'll not surrender any arms and march less prepared into the future."   B.E.Wood

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #4347 on: November 21, 2020, 11:06:21 AM »
If you have had your vaccine, what's your beef with people who haven't had a vaccine? You're covered/protected, right?
Nope. Vaccines are not 100% protection. They significantly decrease the likelihood that you will get the disease and reduce the severity if you do get it, but the real value is not when one person gets it, but when almost everyone gets it. The more effective the vaccine and the greater percentage who get it, the more likely it will prevent spread

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #4348 on: November 21, 2020, 11:12:56 AM »
If you have had your vaccine, what's your beef with people who haven't had a vaccine? You're covered/protected, right? The root of the problem is with the illegal aliens since they have not had the health screening and vaccine regimen required by the law to enter this country. I spent the better part of a day when I enlisted in the Navy back in '66 undergoing a health exam and received myriad inoculations to be able to sail the Seven Seas and cross many borders. I expect nothing less from people crossing our borders.

Woody

Well said.

Inoculating everyone against every known communicable disease is unrealistic.

Controlling the borders and quarantining legal immigrants from high risk areas to make sure they aren't carriers of a communicable disease should be SOP.

We can call it sheltering in place to make it more palatable to those who disagree.    
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #4349 on: November 21, 2020, 11:20:55 AM »
No need to bark orders.

I asked about diseases that "can be very serious, can spread in a similar fashion to the Wu-flu, and have been with us for some time." I didn't say they had to have similar mortality rates. As an example, there's a yearly campaign for people to get flu vaccines, and many people do. This suggests the disease is fairly "serious," and spreads easily. Mortality rates aside, no one wants to have the flu, or give it to an older relative. Yet we haven't seen the equivalent of the current mask mandates.

There really isn't any disease in recent history that compares to human coronavirus. TB can be cured, diphtheria can be cured, measles/mumps has a very effective vaccine.

Influenza is nothing like human coronavirus. Even a big influenza outbreak doesn't overwhelm hospitals anymore. Also doesn't have the same mortality rate or have potential chronic issues that follow an infection. Things will be better with Covid-19 when there is a proven vaccine.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536