Author Topic: COVID-19/corona virus mega thread/prepping thread  (Read 453214 times)

zxcvbob

• friend
Re: COVID-19/corona virus mega thread/prepping thread
« Reply #4625 on: December 19, 2020, 02:56:34 PM »
I guess new strains/mutations are emerging. I haven't read anything on it, but how are the current vaccines regarding strains? Are they somewhat "broad spectrum" for lack of a better layman's term?

https://www.foxnews.com/world/uk-tier-4-lockdowns-new-covid-strain-surge-cases

They should be broad-spectrum, but poorly so.  OTOH, as viruses (viri?  virii?) mutate the new ones tend to be less virulent. 
"It's good, though..."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4626 on: December 19, 2020, 03:00:58 PM »
Viruses will Virus. I don't know why this is not being hit on more. There is a reason people get the common cold year after year and why so much research is put into "next year's flu strain" before coming up with the accepted vaccination. Covid-19 (SARS-CoV-2) will be around and around and around.

bob

I mentioned colds early on in the discussion, but people (not here - people in general) seem to treat the bioweapon differently, as if a vaccine will just cure everyone. If we can't do it with even the flu, then how do we do that with something more similar to a cold?

Not that there's anything wrong with working on vaccines, but they are not going to stop it. Especially if vaccines can't keep up with what appears to be (again, layman here) rather rapid mutation.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #4627 on: December 19, 2020, 03:06:24 PM »
I mentioned colds early on in the discussion, but people (not here - people in general) seem to treat the bioweapon differently, as if a vaccine will just cure everyone. If we can't do it with even the flu, then how do we do that with something more similar to a cold?

Not that there's anything wrong with working on vaccines, but they are not going to stop it. Especially if vaccines can't keep up with what appears to be (again, layman here) rather rapid mutation.

My understanding is that because the mRNA that is in the vaccines causes your cells to develop antibodies that target the spike proteins on the viral particle, rather than the specific SAR-COV-2 particle, this vaccine should be pretty effective for all Coronavirus (Coronaviri?) as they all have that "crown" of spike proteins. (hence the name)  But the details of that are well out of my depth of immunology.  That's just what an epidemiologist friend told me.

I don't know why the various versions of influenza are so slippery.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #4628 on: December 19, 2020, 09:42:23 PM »
https://www.sfgate.com/news/article/Overdose-deaths-far-outpace-COVID-19-deaths-in-15816356.php

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) — A record 621 people died of drug overdoses in San Francisco so far this year, a staggering number that far outpaces the 173 deaths from COVID-19 the city has seen thus far.

Of course, drug overdoses are easily avoided by not using in the first place.

Avoiding the Kung Flu is a bit more problematic.
"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #4629 on: December 19, 2020, 09:46:43 PM »
https://www.sfgate.com/news/article/Overdose-deaths-far-outpace-COVID-19-deaths-in-15816356.php

Of course, drug overdoses are easily avoided by not using in the first place.

Avoiding the Kung Flu is a bit more problematic.

So you’re telling me a city of 3.3 mil had only 173 Kung Flu deaths? I thought this was the Deadliest Disease Ever! Weak *expletive deleted*ing tea!
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #4630 on: December 19, 2020, 09:51:26 PM »
So you’re telling me a city of 3.3 mil had only 173 Kung Flu deaths? I thought this was the Deadliest Disease Ever! Weak *expletive deleted*ing tea!

Not to nitpick, but San Francisco's population is about 805,000 according to the 2010 Census.  Even so, 173 is still a mighty small percentage, so your point about "weak *expletive deleted*ing tea" is apt.

"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #4631 on: December 19, 2020, 10:10:29 PM »
They should be broad-spectrum, but poorly so.  OTOH, as viruses (viri?  virii?) mutate the new ones tend to be less virulent. 

Not always, look at the influenza viruses.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #4632 on: December 20, 2020, 06:33:20 PM »
Ten years from now we'll be watching commercials on TV that say, "If you received the COVID-19 vaccination between 2020 and 2021, you may be entitled to compensation."
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #4633 on: December 20, 2020, 07:23:02 PM »
Ten years from now we'll be watching commercials on TV that say, "If you received the COVID-19 vaccination between 2020 and 2021, you may be entitled to compensation."

I don't think so, I believe part of the agreement with the feds to fast track a vaccine was to remove the possibility of future lawsuits.

Uranus is a gas giant.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #4634 on: December 20, 2020, 07:48:40 PM »
I don't think so, I believe part of the agreement with the feds to fast track a vaccine was to remove the possibility of future lawsuits.

Laws don't mean what they say anymore.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #4635 on: December 20, 2020, 07:56:20 PM »
Laws don't mean what they say anymore.

True, common law relies on court decisions vs. the letter of the law.

Uranus is a gas giant.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
« Reply #4636 on: December 20, 2020, 08:39:53 PM »
True, common law relies on court decisions vs. the letter of the law.

Specious and obtuse; we live under rule of power/men.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #4637 on: December 20, 2020, 08:42:56 PM »
Specious and obtuse; we live under rule of power/men.

Always have, you're fooling yourself if you don't believe it.

Uranus is a gas giant.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #4638 on: December 20, 2020, 08:51:16 PM »
Always have, you're fooling yourself if you don't believe it.

The primary difference is that historically the state tried to maintain the fiction by going along with the social contract as written in the original constitution.

The original "law" has been interpreted away over the decades.

Our courts and bureaucracies are no longer interested in maintaining the fiction.

They abandoned inalienable natural rights a long time ago.

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #4639 on: December 20, 2020, 10:09:57 PM »
The primary difference is that historically the state tried to maintain the fiction by going along with the social contract as written in the original constitution.

The original "law" has been interpreted away over the decades.

Our courts and bureaucracies are no longer interested in maintaining the fiction.

They abandoned inalienable natural rights a long time ago.

It got derailed right from the start. i.e. Whiskey Act, became law in March 1791.

Uranus is a gas giant.

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #4640 on: December 20, 2020, 10:26:47 PM »
It got derailed right from the start. i.e. Whiskey Act, became law in March 1791.

Yea, but it is like mutations building up over the generations.

We live in the bizzaro world version of the original America.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #4641 on: December 20, 2020, 11:23:07 PM »
Yea, but it is like mutations building up over the generations.

We live in the bizzaro world version of the original America.

Do you want to go back when white folks could own humans, women were second class citizens and you could kill Indians without legal consequences?

Uranus is a gas giant.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #4642 on: December 20, 2020, 11:28:39 PM »
We are not that far from that. It still happens in some places. Just the races may have changed.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #4643 on: December 21, 2020, 12:16:20 AM »
Do you want to go back when white folks could own humans, women were second class citizens and you could kill Indians without legal consequences?

Ooh, sick burn, bro.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
« Reply #4644 on: December 21, 2020, 02:52:59 AM »

And when did you stop beating your wife?

Besides, we don't even have to ride your loaded question back in time for that, just go visit Libya.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #4645 on: December 21, 2020, 07:39:04 AM »
And when did you stop beating your wife?

Besides, we don't even have to ride your loaded question back in time for that, just go visit Libya.

Libya isn't the US.

Uranus is a gas giant.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4646 on: December 21, 2020, 08:39:04 AM »
I continue to be irked by this:

https://twitchy.com/gregp-3534/2020/12/21/no-masks-no-social-distancing-how-come-saturday-night-live-continues-to-be-an-essential-business-in-nyc/

Restaurants are shut down or heavily restricted, kids can't go to school, but these idiots can carry on like nothing is happening (all while smugly using their twitters to nag ordinary people about masks and sacrifice).
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #4647 on: December 21, 2020, 08:59:07 AM »

I would like to reverse the movement toward the government acting as if it owns its citizens, where everyone is a second class citizen compared to our petty rulers and the state can kill its citizens with impunity.

LEX REX based upon inalienable God given natural rights.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #4648 on: December 21, 2020, 09:08:37 AM »
I would like to reverse the movement toward the government acting as if it owns its citizens, where everyone is a second class citizen compared to our petty rulers and the state can kill its citizens with impunity.

LEX REX based upon inalienable God given natural rights.

Unfortunately none of us were alive during that time, probably need to go back to time of the 1780s with the Articles of Confederation.

I think you want to go back to the 25-30 year period after the 2ns World War, where just about every industrial nation was bombed and the only functional one left was the US and she dominated the world for a while.

Uranus is a gas giant.

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #4649 on: December 21, 2020, 09:15:35 AM »
Unfortunately none of us were alive during that time, probably need to go back to time of the 1780s with the Articles of Confederation.

I think you want to go back to the 25-30 year period after the 2ns World War, where just about every industrial nation was bombed and the only functional one left was the US and she dominated the world for a while.

I think you have a terrible habit of arguing against straw men and imputing arguments to people they never made.