Author Topic: COVID-19/corona virus mega thread/prepping thread  (Read 453838 times)

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Re: COVID-19/corona virus mega thread/prepping thread
« Reply #4650 on: December 21, 2020, 09:17:12 AM »
I think you have a terrible habit of arguing against straw men and imputing arguments to people they never made.

Pot f**king kettle.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #4651 on: December 21, 2020, 09:20:02 AM »
Pot f**king kettle.
If that's the plan then you and Pot should get a room, Kettle.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #4652 on: December 21, 2020, 09:39:42 AM »
If that's the plan then you and Pot should get a room, Kettle.

No, I think Ron has run out of short choppy talking points.

Uranus is a gas giant.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4654 on: December 21, 2020, 10:08:25 AM »
Slight covid tangent, but I just heard an interview on Maria Bartiromo's show, talking to a financial guy who is temporarily living in Dubai. We talk about rules here and in Europe a lot, but I haven't seen us talk about restrictions in the ME, where you might intuitively expect death penalties for not following covid rules.  :laugh:

In the UAE, apparently they made things simple. Everyone is to wear a mask everywhere they go or be fined. Otherwise, everything is open and people can go wherever they want. Whatever you think of the medical effectiveness of the rule, it actually seems pretty reasonable to me. Businesses can all remain open and people can visit all businesses, but you just have to wear your mask. No major economic impacts.

I don't think I'd have a big problem if we did that here. It wouldn't be much different to me than me than choosing to wear a mask if I choose to go to Costco or Home Despot.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #4655 on: December 21, 2020, 10:20:58 AM »
My store is still limiting how many people we let inside, masks mandatory per both state mandate and company policy.

No proper wearing of the mask = no service.

We are supposed to maintain 6ft social distance also. The nature of where I work has a lot of "hands on" fitting so it becomes a source of annoyance for a lot of customers.

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #4656 on: December 21, 2020, 12:18:57 PM »
No, I think Ron has run out of short choppy talking points.

I know complicated ideas are hard for you so I try and make it easy on you  ;)
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #4657 on: December 21, 2020, 04:06:34 PM »
Libya isn't the US.

And yet its current situation was engineered by the US department of state under Secretary Hillary Clinton.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
« Reply #4658 on: December 21, 2020, 04:08:17 PM »
Pot f**king kettle.

No.  It really is you.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #4659 on: December 21, 2020, 04:19:23 PM »

Uranus is a gas giant.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
« Reply #4660 on: December 21, 2020, 04:29:58 PM »
PM

How so? If it is because I have a different opinion, you have no merit is saying it's me.

Pushing strawmen and putting words in other peoples mouths isn't opinion, it's just dishonest; and I won't help you hide this by taking it PM. 

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #4661 on: December 21, 2020, 04:36:19 PM »
Pushing strawmen and putting words in other peoples mouths isn't opinion, it's just dishonest; and I won't help you hide this by taking it PM. 

Perhaps y'all need to point to a historical point of time in this nation when you feel it was perfect for how you think is was, If you aren't liking my guessing game.

Uranus is a gas giant.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #4662 on: December 21, 2020, 04:55:29 PM »
Perhaps y'all need to point to a historical point of time in this nation when you feel it was perfect for how you think is was, If you aren't liking my guessing game.
Why would there ever have to be a point in time things were perfect?  That's a progressive pundit talking point, dude.

You have in the past advocated higher taxes, and taxes were higher pre-Civil Rights Act, so should we take that as you supporting racism?

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #4663 on: December 21, 2020, 04:59:29 PM »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #4664 on: December 21, 2020, 06:50:06 PM »
Why would there ever have to be a point in time things were perfect?  That's a progressive pundit talking point, dude.

Then folks should quit pining for the past.

You have in the past advocated higher taxes, and taxes were higher pre-Civil Rights Act, so should we take that as you supporting racism?

Kill whitey!

Uranus is a gas giant.

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #4665 on: December 21, 2020, 06:53:27 PM »

There is a difference between pining for the past (nostalgia) and desiring a return to first principles.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #4666 on: December 21, 2020, 07:40:01 PM »
You never used to mind pining for the past back when you would wish for the 60s when one income could support a middle class family, or when programs you liked were funded at higher rates ...

But now all of a sudden you're against any sort of positive view of any American history as pining for some sort of racist past. 

It's almost like the pundits on the left decided recently that any positive view of American history had to be condemned as racist and you - someone who when it is convenient calls out people for slavishly following pundits - starts accusing anyone who liked something about US history of being racist. 

Totally independently, I'm sure.  Not following pundits at all.

Kill whitey!
Hmmm.

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #4667 on: December 21, 2020, 10:23:29 PM »
https://www.amazon.com/COVID-19-Great-Reset-Klaus-Schwab-ebook/dp/B08CRZ9VZB/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

Looks like a lot of folks have been prepping for covid 19

"COVID-19: The Great Reset" is a guide for anyone who wants to understand how COVID-19 disrupted our social and economic systems, and what changes will be needed to create a more inclusive, resilient and sustainable world going forward. Klaus Schwab, founder and executive Chairman of the World Economic Forum, and Thierry Malleret, founder of the Monthly Barometer, explore what the root causes of this crisis were, and why they lead to a need for a Great Reset.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #4668 on: December 21, 2020, 10:45:42 PM »
https://www.amazon.com/COVID-19-Great-Reset-Klaus-Schwab-ebook/dp/B08CRZ9VZB/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

Looks like a lot of folks have been prepping for covid 19

Wow.  The reviews seem  nearly all pretty negative.   Guess Herr Schwab and the WEF  must be almost as bad as the Bilderbergers or the Trilateral Commitee.
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #4669 on: December 22, 2020, 12:48:20 AM »
You never used to mind pining for the past back when you would wish for the 60s when one income could support a middle class family, or when programs you liked were funded at higher rates ...

But now all of a sudden you're against any sort of positive view of any American history as pining for some sort of racist past. 

It's almost like the pundits on the left decided recently that any positive view of American history had to be condemned as racist and you - someone who when it is convenient calls out people for slavishly following pundits - starts accusing anyone who liked something about US history of being racist. 

Hmmm.

Who broke your sarcasm button?

Uranus is a gas giant.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #4670 on: December 22, 2020, 10:36:37 AM »
I think you want to go back to the 25-30 year period after the 2nd World War, where just about every industrial nation was bombed and the only functional one left was the US and she dominated the world for a while.

This reply had nothing due to racism. This was about middle class economics and global American dominance.

Uranus is a gas giant.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #4671 on: December 22, 2020, 11:13:29 AM »

Hmmm.

It's not a new thing, its been that way for a while when people started to look at the winners and losers in history instead of just telling the side of the winners. I can remember some of the my high school history classes in the late 80s were starting to touch on the losers in history. Yes, single income nuclear family households on the 50-60s was a very racist thing, during that period a white male with a good work ethic had no problem finding a job that supported that lifestyle pretty much anywhere in the country, while a non white didn't have those opportunities, except for industrial areas where labor was needed. White flight to the suburbs, etc.

Used to be the conservative mantra was equality for all, I don't know where that was lost along the way. Liberals aren't for equality either, they are just obstructionists using just enough policy to appease with bread and circus.

Uranus is a gas giant.

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #4672 on: December 22, 2020, 11:28:28 AM »
In the 50's and 60's the nation was majority white to the tune of over 95%.

Probably closer to 98% in the 50's as the flood of non white immigrants didn't start until after 65.

There was never a conservative mantra of equality for all.

Conservatives accepted the concept of everyone being equal under the law.

LEX REX

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #4673 on: December 22, 2020, 11:37:22 AM »
"The white population of the United States increased by 17.5 percent between 1950 and 1960, as compared with 26.7 percent for the nonwhite population, so that white persons constituted 88.6 percent of the total population in 1960 and 89.3 percent in 1950."

https://www.census.gov/library/publications/1961/dec/pc-s1-10.html

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #4674 on: December 22, 2020, 11:53:25 AM »
This reply had nothing due to racism. This was about middle class economics and global American dominance.

OHHHHH, so when YOU pine for the past, it's not about racism. But when other people pine for the past, it's obviously about racism. Got it.

Yes, single income nuclear family households on the 50-60s was a very racist thing, during that period a white male with a good work ethic had no problem finding a job that supported that lifestyle pretty much anywhere in the country, while a non white didn't have those opportunities, except for industrial areas where labor was needed. White flight to the suburbs, etc.

Statistics to back that up?

Because I have some statistics for you, if you want to talk about historical economic trends:

From 1960 to 1968 (continuing a trend from 1950 on), the percentage of black people living under the poverty line dropped by half, from ~60% to ~30%.

From 1960 to 1968, (continuing a trend that again, started in the 50s) Black incomes saw large growth, not only in absolute size, bat as a percentage of white incomes, from 60% to 70% of white income.

Blacks were making massive gains in income, employment rates, poverty escaping, during this horrific time "when whitey was making sure they didn't have any opportunities."

Some people may need to take off rose colored glassed when looking at the past. I think you need to take off the soot-covered ones.

I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought