Author Topic: COVID-19/corona virus mega thread/prepping thread  (Read 453057 times)

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
Re: COVID-19/corona virus mega thread/prepping thread
« Reply #5475 on: August 03, 2021, 01:51:01 PM »
Keep in mind that if nobody is dying from this horribly fatal superspreader disease, you can at least have a casedemic that will last through the elections...
Blog under construction

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #5476 on: August 03, 2021, 02:41:22 PM »
A big part of the drop in deaths compared to cases is that treatments have improved.  A lot of treatments done initially were found to actually be counterproductive and resulted in much higher death rate.

So ..... they finally admitted hydroxycoquiline  works?  :O

Seriously, I'm sure improved treatments is part of the reason,  but I still think vaccines are also a large part.  I'm not going to start second guessing which has a greater effect. 
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #5477 on: August 03, 2021, 02:47:17 PM »
Seriously, I'm sure improved treatments is part of the reason,  but I still think vaccines are also a large part.  I'm not going to start second guessing which has a greater effect.
Vaccines have decreased the number of cases, but not the severity of breakthrough cases.  If you've got an actual study that shows otherwise please let me know.

I know lots of people are claiming that the vaccine cuts down on symptoms for breakthrough cases but I have yet to see any evidence of it.  The oft-cited Haas et al does not show it.

TommyGunn

• friend
« Reply #5478 on: August 03, 2021, 02:57:03 PM »
What is this, a graduate school level virologyy thesis? 

I have no study that shows what you want, I have no study that says the sky is blue or that 2+2=4.

I'm sorry to commit an act of heresy, but I tend to actually believe the reporting that numbers and severity are going down.  Haas study???  It doesn't do it?  [tinfoil]  Horrors!   

I know nothing of it.  I do seem to recall studies being advanced to show X,  only to see them disputed by Y or then be withdrawn because of XYZ. 

I'm not a scientist or Mr. Spock.    I understand the media is full of cr@p. 

But otoh either the vaccines actually do something or covid 19 really IS THE ANDROMEDA STRAIN.

MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #5479 on: August 03, 2021, 03:10:03 PM »
But otoh either the vaccines actually do something or covid 19 really IS THE ANDROMEDA STRAIN.
Yes, the vaccine really does something, but not reduce the severity of breakthrough cases.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #5480 on: August 03, 2021, 03:43:26 PM »
What is this, a graduate school level virologyy thesis? 

I have no study that shows what you want, I have no study that says the sky is blue or that 2+2=4.

I'm sorry to commit an act of heresy, but I tend to actually believe the reporting that numbers and severity are going down.  Haas study???  It doesn't do it?  [tinfoil]  Horrors!   

I know nothing of it.  I do seem to recall studies being advanced to show X,  only to see them disputed by Y or then be withdrawn because of XYZ. 

I'm not a scientist or Mr. Spock.    I understand the media is full of cr@p. 

In general, vaccines are supposed to help your body prevent a viral infection in the first place by helping develop antibodies to attack the virus if it shows up.  If the viral infection takes hold anyway, that preventative is not working.  I don't see why the vaccine would then help with resulting symptoms.  Is that something seen with other viruses? 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

TommyGunn

• friend
« Reply #5481 on: August 03, 2021, 04:49:27 PM »
Yes, the vaccine really does something, but not reduce the severity of breakthrough cases.

Why then do many scientists or doctors claim it does?   I can see cable TV myrmidons like Don Lemon talking through their hats,  but people who do understand how these things work? 

TommyGunn

• friend
« Reply #5482 on: August 03, 2021, 04:54:21 PM »
In general, vaccines are supposed to help your body prevent a viral infection in the first place by helping develop antibodies to attack the virus if it shows up.  If the viral infection takes hold anyway, that preventative is not working.  I don't see why the vaccine would then help with resulting symptoms.  Is that something seen with other viruses?

Good question. 

Perhaps the antibodies being produced aren't strong enough to tko the covid19 virus but can weaken it.  It would be interesting to know if the people who have had break through infections have been immuno-compromised in any way. 

I've heard of people getting repeat cases of covid19, and speculation about those people being immunocompromised in some way.

Dang.   Now Cordex is going to ask me for a study ....   :facepalm:

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #5483 on: August 03, 2021, 05:00:06 PM »
Why then do many scientists or doctors claim it does?   I can see cable TV myrmidons like Don Lemon talking through their hats,  but people who do understand how these things work?
Maybe they have studies that have not been made public.  Maybe they have been misinformed.  Maybe they see it as a white lie in service to the greater good. 

After all, the vaccine does provide protection against initial infection.  If people hear about breakthrough infections - especially from variants that the vaccine is not as protective against they might feel that it isn't worth it.  If they say that it is protective even if you do get infected then it gives people incentive to get the injection regardless.

As Fauci has admitted, scientists and doctors have been willing to lie to change the public's behavior in a way they feel is beneficial.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #5484 on: August 03, 2021, 05:08:59 PM »
Maybe they have studies that have not been made public.  Maybe they have been misinformed.  Maybe they see it as a white lie in service to the greater good. 

After all, the vaccine does provide protection against initial infection.  If people hear about breakthrough infections - especially from variants that the vaccine is not as protective against they might feel that it isn't worth it.  If they say that it is protective even if you do get infected then it gives people incentive to get the injection regardless.

As Fauci has admitted, scientists and doctors have been willing to lie to change the public's behavior in a way they feel is beneficial.
Good point.  And that is one reason I never bothered to get a Flu vaccine.  There was no guarantee the vaccines would work against what I got exposed to. 

Add in that everyone has noticed the Govt willing to lie to manipulate public behavior and you get more public distrust of the experts and govt officials. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #5485 on: August 03, 2021, 05:16:36 PM »
Good question. 

Perhaps the antibodies being produced aren't strong enough to tko the covid19 virus but can weaken it.  It would be interesting to know if the people who have had break through infections have been immuno-compromised in any way. 

I've heard of people getting repeat cases of covid19, and speculation about those people being immunocompromised in some way.

Dang.   Now Cordex is going to ask me for a study ....   :facepalm:
:laugh:
I figure part of it is some people just have weak immune systems so the vaccine won't generate the same response in everyone.  It could also just be variants of the main COVID virus that the vaccine can't protect from or maybe only partially help with. 

I also wonder if some of this is bad cases of the flu that are misdiagnosed.  Unlikely, but cold and flu seem to be at a low point due to all the behavioral changes over the last year.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #5486 on: August 03, 2021, 05:23:54 PM »
Don't  trust the government's word that the vaccine is safe.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1422634496348901389
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #5487 on: August 03, 2021, 10:43:42 PM »

And this is the point - that vaccines are meant to prevent disease, not "lessen the severity".
For the last 70 years, the vaccines that I took as a child were meant to prevent.  Those include both the Salk (killed injectable) and Sabin (live oral) polio vaccines, tuberculosis, smallpox, the "D/P/T" (diphtheria/pertussis/tetanus), and the one I never took as it was developed much later, the "MMR" (measles/mumps/rubella) vaccine.  These all were designed to prevent all infection from these viruses, something this mRNA farce is incapable of doing.
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #5489 on: August 04, 2021, 10:14:01 AM »
Yeah, that squares with the "narrow and brief immunity" that I've heard attributed to the mRNA style vaccines.

I wonder if natural immunity is any better though.  I sure hope so.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #5490 on: August 04, 2021, 10:14:45 AM »
Yeah, that squares with the "narrow and brief immunity" that I've heard attributed to the mRNA style vaccines.

How about both since I've had both?
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #5491 on: August 04, 2021, 10:18:44 AM »

I've seen several articles recently that stated natural immunity could last seventeen years or longer, and possibly for life.  A quick search would likely turn them up.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #5492 on: August 04, 2021, 10:22:07 AM »
I've seen several articles recently that stated natural immunity could last seventeen years or longer, and possibly for life.  A quick search would likely turn them up.
Those rely on experience with similar viruses, don't they?  Hope that's indicative, but I think we're going to have to see if this one is different.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #5493 on: August 04, 2021, 11:18:00 AM »
Those rely on experience with similar viruses, don't they?  Hope that's indicative, but I think we're going to have to see if this one is different.

I posted the link to the peer reviewed paper on this, published in Nature. Might even be up a page or two in this thread.

The SARS/Covid1 natural antibodies are still going strong 17 years later, which was apparently the oldest sample they could get. The paper seemed to allude to the fact that 17 years is indicative of lifetime immunity.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #5494 on: August 04, 2021, 01:18:18 PM »

I posted the link to the peer reviewed paper on this, published in Nature. Might even be up a page or two in this thread.

The SARS/Covid1 natural antibodies are still going strong 17 years later, which was apparently the oldest sample they could get. The paper seemed to allude to the fact that 17 years is indicative of lifetime immunity.

That's the info I was referring to.  However, I now realize I misread it the first time.  The seventeen year and possible lifetime immunity was concerning SARS-CoV-1, not SARS-CoV-2, aka Covid-19.  There is much similarity in the relevant genetic structure of the two viruses (99% plus), and scientists are beginning to think that Covid-19 immunity might be long lasting as well.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #5495 on: August 04, 2021, 01:28:13 PM »
There is much similarity in the relevant genetic structure of the two viruses (99% plus), and scientists are beginning to think that Covid-19 immunity might be long lasting as well.

This is what I got out of it too, and what I have also read elsewhere. It is why I am currently sticking to "no vaccine" for myself. I see no need to be injected with something that would give me less robust antibodies than I already have, plus I already dealt/am dealing with covid/long haul covid, so  I don't want to add another variable.

If enough verifiable, different research comes out as time goes on, I will reevaluate as necessary.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #5497 on: August 04, 2021, 03:23:18 PM »
Bill Melugin
@BillFOXLA
·
1h
NEW: The city of McAllen, TX says the federal government has released over 7,000 COVID positive migrants into their city since February, including over 1,500 new infected migrants in just the *last week alone*. A local state of disaster in McAllen has been declared.
@FoxNews

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #5498 on: August 04, 2021, 03:31:45 PM »
I personally figure that we're going to see at least one celebrity panic... and then find out when they call the ambulance and get the ride to the emergency room, that... they have a cold.
Blog under construction

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #5499 on: August 04, 2021, 03:38:28 PM »
I love how people have completely ignored the isolated populations, such as the cruise ships, navy vessels, etc, where folks were in fairly close contact, and so many folks just did not get sick... Gee, maybe someone had had the right kind of cold previously.
Blog under construction