Author Topic: COVID-19/corona virus mega thread/prepping thread  (Read 453363 times)

De Selby

• friend
Re: COVID-19/corona virus mega thread/prepping thread
« Reply #5625 on: August 18, 2021, 11:26:24 PM »
And...

It is not magical.

A lot of people don't catch it.

About 95% of the people who catch it don't notice it.

Of that, about 95% of the people who notice it are okay with Nyquil and Sweet Oblivion until it blows over.

Some of them think that it is bad enough to go to their doctor - maybe 5%. Most of them get told to go home and take Nyquil. Some of them get admitted to hospitals.

If they are lucky, they get high-flow 02 via CPAP.

If they get vents, they are in trouble - mostly because vents suck.

Some of the rest, primarily terminally ill geriatrics, won't make it.

Which is pretty much the case for the past few decades.

Got a source for those hospitalisation rates for Covid?
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #5626 on: August 18, 2021, 11:47:50 PM »
Early in, and I've seen it a bunch of times since, starting with the Chinese... 95% of the people are either immune, or just don't have symptoms. Not all of the folks who notice things present for treatment. Of the presented cases, only about 5% are serious. And that was back when they were stick folks on vents regardless.

Here in St. Louis, after about 18 months, we're looking at an overall fatality rate of 0.17% - mostly from long-term-care, SNFs and hospices...
Blog under construction

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #5627 on: August 18, 2021, 11:58:43 PM »
Early in, and I've seen it a bunch of times since, starting with the Chinese... 95% of the people are either immune, or just don't have symptoms. Not all of the folks who notice things present for treatment. Of the presented cases, only about 5% are serious. And that was back when they were stick folks on vents regardless.

Here in St. Louis, after about 18 months, we're looking at an overall fatality rate of 0.17% - mostly from long-term-care, SNFs and hospices...

The overall fatality rate in St Louis is not .17 according to the links you posted - it’s above 2 percent.  I’m not sure where you’re getting that figure but I’d like to see it, along with even one news article or other source saying only 5 percent of COVID cases are serious.
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #5628 on: August 19, 2021, 12:17:07 AM »
You are making a conclusion based upon only presented cases.

Overall, with this "really damn contagious bug," which you can catch just by being near someone, who might not even be sick, we've had 553 fatalities out of around 319,000 people. Most of them folks who already had one foot over death's doorstep...

Blog under construction

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #5629 on: August 19, 2021, 12:23:03 AM »
This is a week or so old, but hasn't changed much. FWIW, the "under 40" bar hadn't gone above zero until we had a new administration sworn in - then it grew a few.
Blog under construction

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #5630 on: August 19, 2021, 12:36:35 AM »
In the past two weeks, we've had 10 fatalities attributed to the 'Rona in the City area. No idea as to whether they were already terminally ill, or not.

In that same time, I had a coworker who has had three relatives shot in what I'm figuring is gang-related violence.

Blog under construction

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #5631 on: August 19, 2021, 05:19:35 AM »
FWIW, the average age of COVID ICU patients at our local biggest hospital  ticked into the 40's this week.  I don't have the age breakdown of individuals, but it's definitely no longer only geriatrics, at least around here.  The one hospital was at 250 admitted and 164 in the ICU.

Bogie, not to put too fine a point on it but your "5% of 5% of 5%......." hypothesis is utter crap, and if you could find any data with anywhere near those numbers, I'd be surprised.   Yes lots of folks get through COVID fine, and there is an hard to measure (at least in the US) number of Asymptomatic cases, but nowhere near where you seem to hope.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #5632 on: August 19, 2021, 08:33:13 AM »
First off, some countries do substantially live with no COVID. Not every country in the world failed to control it like the US, and not every public health system is as incapable of control. On the numbers it does look like failure to stop Covid is inevitable in the US, but countries with more advanced public health systems need not give up and accept that they’ll always have Covid.

In terms of ongoing control measures, food safety, agricultural quarantine, and medical hygiene all
cost huge amounts of money and time. Should we give them up because food poisoning still happens, because farms still get coronavirus and other outbreaks, and because infections still
Happen in hospital? Does that make all investment in controlling those infections a waste?  And if not, why is COVID special in being allowed to run uncontrolled?
Which countries?  Did they actually do testing to confirm no COVID? 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #5633 on: August 19, 2021, 10:01:03 AM »
First off, some countries do substantially live with no COVID. Not every country in the world failed to control it like the US, and not every public health system is as incapable of control. On the numbers it does look like failure to stop Covid is inevitable in the US, but countries with more advanced public health systems need not give up and accept that they’ll always have Covid.

In terms of ongoing control measures, food safety, agricultural quarantine, and medical hygiene all
cost huge amounts of money and time. Should we give them up because food poisoning still happens, because farms still get coronavirus and other outbreaks, and because infections still
Happen in hospital? Does that make all investment in controlling those infections a waste?  And if not, why is COVID special in being allowed to run uncontrolled?

What countries have "zero covid?"  Has it been confirmed by tests?   I can see isolated countries being relatively covid free.  But Japan is an island nation and is beset by covid problems,  Australia, also an island nation, as I said, goes crazy on lockdowns for cases that could be counted on one hand.

If the U. S. "failed" to control covid, it seems much of the world did as well.  And, no, covid is not being allowed to run uncontrolled,  :facepalm:  it is simply nearly impossible to really control. 

Investments in controlling infections are not a waste,  but most infections in hospitals are not the results of pandemics,  they happen because there are sick people in hospitals, which happens because that's where sick people go for medical help. 

As for countries that did not "fail to control it like the U. S.,"  just how did they achieve this miracle?  How do these "more advanced public health systems"  :rofl:  plan to totally eradicate covid? ? ?  The Spanish Flu bug is still around,  and even the Bubonic Plague pathogen is still out there.  As I said before, THERE WILL NEVER BE "ZERO COVID" AGAIN ON PLANET EARTH.     Some isolated mysterious countries (like Shangri-La, for example)  might escape for awhile so long as they can shut down vectors 100%,  but in reality I don't think that will last.

MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #5634 on: August 19, 2021, 11:01:28 AM »
Meanwhile, six weeks in prison for not wearing a mask in Singapore:

https://www.cnn.com/2021/08/18/asia/singapore-briton-jailed-mask-intl-hnk/index.html
"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #5635 on: August 19, 2021, 11:48:17 AM »
This study suggests that the vaccines and natural immunity are about equal for the first few months after getting the vaccine. It further suggests that if you had covid, getting the vaccine boosts your natural immunity. I suppose that's something for me to think about. I'd like to read more verifying research on that aspect first. I also didn't read all the way through the study to see if one vaccine was superior to another regarding that "double immunity".

https://www.theepochtimes.com/major-study-covid-19-vaccines-less-effective-against-delta-as-good-as-natural-infection_3955968.html

https://www.ndm.ox.ac.uk/files/coronavirus/covid-19-infection-survey/finalfinalcombinedve20210816.pdf
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #5636 on: August 19, 2021, 03:03:23 PM »
Looking at much of the numbers around the covids, I see something akin to this...

"25 people were shot in St. Louis last week, with 5 of them dying. If you live in St. Louis, you have a 20% chance of being murdered!!!!!!"
Blog under construction

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #5637 on: August 19, 2021, 03:05:46 PM »
Looking at much of the numbers around the covids, I see something akin to this...

"25 people were shot in St. Louis last week, with 5 of them dying. If you live in St. Louis, you have a 20% chance of being murdered!!!!!!"

In a world where 2+2= whatever it needs to be to push a narrative what's the problem?
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #5638 on: August 19, 2021, 03:59:09 PM »
And in other news, low-price on tires for my van has gone from $60 to $75 in the past month.
Blog under construction

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #5639 on: August 19, 2021, 04:42:54 PM »
And in other news, low-price on tires for my van has gone from $60 to $75 in the past month.

Tires probably need their own inflation thread.  I have 265/70/18's on my truck and want to go to something all season, all terrain in the 35" tall range.  that's like $250-$300 each.  When I fist started looking a year ago it was more like low $200's per tire.

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #5640 on: August 19, 2021, 04:55:25 PM »
Tires probably need their own inflation thread.  I have 265/70/18's on my truck and want to go to something all season, all terrain in the 35" tall range.  that's like $250-$300 each.  When I fist started looking a year ago it was more like low $200's per tire.

Nice pun.

Do you prefer just compressed air, or N2?

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #5641 on: August 19, 2021, 05:00:17 PM »

Funny, I was going to start a tire cost topic. I got Dueler Revos for my truck I guess a half year ago when Costco had a deal going - $200 ea.

Right now I'm looking for new tires for my Polaris Ranger because I've already got like a dozen plugs in the crappy 0.5 ply OEM tires. I'm looking at 8 ply tires, and little UTV tires are going for $175 - half the size and nearly the price of the Revos.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #5642 on: August 19, 2021, 05:01:30 PM »
Nice pun.

Do you prefer just compressed air, or N2?

I usually tell them to fill them up with the 78% N 21% O mix. The confused look on some of their faces is priceless. uh, I don't think we have that.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2021, 05:33:53 PM by WLJ »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #5643 on: August 19, 2021, 05:29:04 PM »
Which countries?  Did they actually do testing to confirm no COVID?

Both Australia and New Zealand.  And yes, both do routine testing. When outbreaks occur from international arrivals, lockdowns have brought cases back to zero.

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #5644 on: August 19, 2021, 05:30:44 PM »
What countries have "zero covid?"  Has it been confirmed by tests?   I can see isolated countries being relatively covid free.  But Japan is an island nation and is beset by covid problems,  Australia, also an island nation, as I said, goes crazy on lockdowns for cases that could be counted on one hand.

If the U. S. "failed" to control covid, it seems much of the world did as well.  And, no, covid is not being allowed to run uncontrolled,  :facepalm:  it is simply nearly impossible to really control. 

Investments in controlling infections are not a waste,  but most infections in hospitals are not the results of pandemics,  they happen because there are sick people in hospitals, which happens because that's where sick people go for medical help. 

As for countries that did not "fail to control it like the U. S.,"  just how did they achieve this miracle?  How do these "more advanced public health systems"  :rofl:  plan to totally eradicate covid? ? ?  The Spanish Flu bug is still around,  and even the Bubonic Plague pathogen is still out there.  As I said before, THERE WILL NEVER BE "ZERO COVID" AGAIN ON PLANET EARTH.     Some isolated mysterious countries (like Shangri-La, for example)  might escape for awhile so long as they can shut down vectors 100%,  but in reality I don't think that will last.

The countries that have had long periods of no Covid while remaining open did so with effective quarantine and lockdown responses. Again, you can keep repeating it but both NZ and Australia have spent most of the past year fully open domestically, and with zero Covid. It’s not a fantasy.

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #5645 on: August 19, 2021, 05:32:00 PM »

Looking at your analysis, I see something akin to this:

“Ebola is neither contagious nor deadly because zero people died in St Louis of it last year! If Ebola comes to St Louis, I’m going to hug infected people just to prove how safe it is!”

zahc

• friend
« Reply #5646 on: August 19, 2021, 07:02:04 PM »

Your point is made, but the real situation is more like "2500 people were shot in St. Louis last week, with 500 of them dying. Also, the murderers are gradually going house to house and we have reason to believe they will eventually shoot everyone in the city. And neighboring cities are the same. So if you live in St. Louis, you have a 20% chance of eventually being murdered".

And instead of 20% it's like 0.2%.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2021, 07:29:07 PM by zahc »
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #5647 on: August 19, 2021, 07:06:33 PM »
The countries that have had long periods of no Covid while remaining open did so with effective quarantine and lockdown responses. Again, you can keep repeating it but both NZ and Australia have spent most of the past year fully open domestically, and with zero Covid. It’s not a fantasy.

Both Australia and New Zealand have had covid19 cases.  Even one case is NOT zero covid.   

It is pretty easy to isolate New Zealand and probably not much harder to isolate Australia.  It is impossible to isolate America.

And I would hardly call the extreme measures Australia is using, employing military to keep people inside, banning talking to neighbors, forcing masking while drinking, being "fully open domestically."

You live in a fantasy-land called "Oz" for sure ......
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #5648 on: August 19, 2021, 07:19:47 PM »
Both Australia and New Zealand have had covid19 cases.  Even one case is NOT zero covid.   

It is pretty easy to isolate New Zealand and probably not much harder to isolate Australia.  It is impossible to isolate America.

And I would hardly call the extreme measures Australia is using, employing military to keep people inside, banning talking to neighbors, forcing masking while drinking, being "fully open domestically."

You live in a fantasy-land called "Oz" for sure ......

Most of the past year the country has been fully open and also had no community transmission of covid. Lockdown measures (which are not what you’re describing) have been temporary to address short term outbreaks and bring cases back down to , and have done so successfully.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #5649 on: August 19, 2021, 07:24:09 PM »
Comparing NZ to the USA, particularly with the open borders invasion of Covid positive illegals seems sort of silly.

Australia has been open? No proof of vaccination or any other proof of health?

Folks could just walk in?

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.