Author Topic: COVID-19/corona virus mega thread/prepping thread  (Read 453405 times)

Cliffh

• friend
Re: COVID-19/corona virus mega thread/prepping thread
« Reply #5825 on: August 27, 2021, 06:56:01 PM »
snip/

Seasonal flu does overwhelm hospitals during bad years.  When it does do you immediately call for locking down society until zero flu is achieved?  And then locking down again every time someone catches a flu, because it might spread to the point that hospitals are overwhelmed?

/snip

The normal flu does overwhelm the hospitals around here.  A few years back, pre-covid, my appendix burst.  I was taken by ambulance to three hospitals before one would/could admit me. 

The first two were overwhelmed by the "normal" flu.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #5826 on: August 27, 2021, 08:30:06 PM »

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #5827 on: August 28, 2021, 06:02:17 AM »
Yes, as mentioned previously I read it.  And I just reread it to be sure I wasn't missing something.  Did you even briefly review it before posting it and asserting that it supported your argument? 

Assuming you did, exactly what part of that paper do you think either supports or demonstrates historical precedent for general lockdowns?  If anything, that paper argues for limits and restrictions on quarantines and lockdowns to prevent abuse ...
Like I said, I read your link.  If you were to read it you would see that it simply does not say what you are claiming it to say.

That there are expansive quarantine and public health emergency powers dating to the 1700s in American law? It absolutely does say that and provides cites.

Yes, Australia can have zero COVID but only while maintaining eternal vigilance and being willing to go full gulag at a moment's notice.  The police should not be used as a permanent answer to a medical issue.

Temporary shut downs to stop the uncontrolled and rampant spread of disease are not gulags.

I note that you have ceded the emotional "granny" argument as you are totally willing to decide when it is okay for other people to die.  I guess it is okay when you do it.

Hang on there - part of your justification for calling public health measures for covid was that it’s not as bad as smallpox. So where is your line?  The point of adopting the line about existing hospital infrastructure is to adopt a rule that’s at least somewhat democratic - we all got a say in how much gets put into hospitals and are okay with that over multiple elections. What’s covered by those resources is a good rule of thumb for assessing when a new disease requires extraordinary measures.

So I’ll ask again: between smallpox and covid, what’s the death rate at which youd consider a lockdown justified and not totalitarian?

Seasonal flu does overwhelm hospitals during bad years.  When it does do you immediately call for locking down society until zero flu is achieved?  And then locking down again every time someone catches a flu, because it might spread to the point that hospitals are overwhelmed?

There’s an easy way to resolve this point. Please cite flu statistics from the most recent year in which the flu approached COVID hospitalisation and death figures.

Further, do you foresee maintaining zero COVID even once everyone in Australia has been given the opportunity to receive COVID vaccination?  At that point hospitals will be unlikely to be overwhelmed and therefore your justification no longer applies.

I've heard concerns that aboriginal Australians are at particular risk of COVID to explain the severity of the lockdowns but also that supplies of vaccines provided to aboriginal communities have been severely limited compared to the rest of Australia.
You’re conflating a moral argument about whether people should have a chance to get vaccinated with public health questions about how much the disease would cost or impact. More vaccination including for poor and remote communities is  something I don’t think any Australian would oppose.

The point at which vaccination means that covid would actually be no more damaging than normal flu seems like a very reasonable point to start not worrying about its spread. If you quote actual flu statistics you’ll see very clearly why that isn’t so now.
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #5828 on: August 28, 2021, 06:10:47 AM »
There’s an easy way to resolve this point. Please cite flu statistics from the most recent year in which the flu approached COVID hospitalisation and death figures.

[popcorn]

De Selby

• friend
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #5830 on: August 28, 2021, 07:29:58 AM »
It's incumbent upon me to point out the obvious fact that the official numbers from the USA during this pandemic have all been BS.

Numbers from other nations should be taken with a grain of salt also.

The easily demonstrated lies from all these official sources should bring into question their statistics also.

If they will lie about some things why believe them about others? I dismiss liars in official positions just like I dismiss liars at the personal level.

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #5831 on: August 28, 2021, 07:51:55 AM »
"If it saves just one life..."

Thing is, it doesn't really seem to have succeeded with that...

The handwavium "quarantine" measures were a really bad joke. I'm sure they made some people feel good, but I saw mass transit pulling into a large state mental health inpatient facility near me during the height of the kerfuffle... That is NOT a quarantine. And no, they weren't putting the personnel up in a hotel... They were taking the bus to work.

A report I saw a while back said that in this area over 55% of the fatal cases were from nursing homes, etc... Including hospices.

And now there's Delta! And we're seen anecdotal reporting about that...

Makes me wonder if maybe there are really two bugs - one easily transmissible "cold" bug, and the other, harder to catch, "killer" bug. Both of them grown from the same coronavirus stock...
Blog under construction

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #5832 on: August 28, 2021, 08:05:47 AM »
It's incumbent upon me to point out the obvious fact that the official numbers from the USA during this pandemic have all been BS.

Numbers from other nations should be taken with a grain of salt also.

The easily demonstrated lies from all these official sources should bring into question their statistics also.

If they will lie about some things why believe them about others? I dismiss liars in official positions just like I dismiss liars at the personal level.

How do you know they’re not lying to understate the impact of covid, so as to look more effective to their own electorates?

The covid stats are fake line just seems very hard to justify. If someone published a tape of Einstein lying about his education, I wouldn’t start thinking nuclear reactors were a media scam. But this seems to be the sort of thing that’s happening with medicine and covid.

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #5833 on: August 28, 2021, 08:33:54 AM »
How do you know they’re not lying to understate the impact of covid, so as to look more effective to their own electorates?

The covid stats are fake line just seems very hard to justify. If someone published a tape of Einstein lying about his education, I wouldn’t start thinking nuclear reactors were a media scam. But this seems to be the sort of thing that’s happening with medicine and covid.

There are numerous videos available, some posted in this thread, of officials describing what gets coded as a covid death. In Illinois (I posted the video) nearly all deaths that occurred due to what we call comorbidities was/is classified as a covid death. The head of the department was pretty transparent about this, massive heart attack while infected? Covid death.

The huge numbers are inflated by their own admission.

A friends father at home in hospice care with COPD took a fall. Went to the hospital, picked up Covid and died a couple weeks later. Went in the books as a Covid death.

Maybe they are separating the numbers better now but they spent the first six months or longer coding just about everything Covid.

The lies told to us by governments, the medical research community/pharmaceutical companies and the health care industry in general have completely destroyed what little remained of social trust for a large part of the population.

Hence the pivot to using force and threats of violence if you refuse to submit.

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #5834 on: August 28, 2021, 10:14:44 AM »
Man, I gotta give these people props for always finding loopholes for themselves to opt out of their own mandates. It would be funny except that you know a bunch of the "little people" are being fined and even arrested for this kinda crap.

https://twitchy.com/dougp-3137/2021/08/28/portland-mayor-ted-wheeler-spotted-being-the-latest-covid-rules-for-thee-but-not-for-me-dem-politician/
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #5835 on: August 28, 2021, 01:41:18 PM »
That there are expansive quarantine and public health emergency powers dating to the 1700s in American law? It absolutely does say that and provides cites.
The article you posted referenced:
1. Historical quarantines for international arrivals
2. Individual quarantines for people who were sick or exposed to a virus
3. Proposed rules for testing people in certain cases in airports and for brief provisional quarantines up to three days and the necessary quarantine orders to extend it beyond that, plus the necessary administrative hearings and judicial reviews for all individuals subject to longer than three day provisional quarantines.

It also discussed a variety of ways in which quarantine authority was abused.

What the article did not do was show where general and universal lockdowns as used for COVID are effective, legal, or with historical precedent in the US.  Nor did it describe rules or legislation (existing or proposed) that would provide any government entity the authority to enforce either US style or (thankfully) Australian style COVID lockdowns.

Quote from: De Selby's article
The use of quarantine as an extensive public health measure should be curtailed for the following reasons: 1) quarantine has been historically used to discriminate against minorities; 2) studies demonstrate that mass quarantine is ineffective; 3) a large scale quarantine would be difficult to implement.
Another reason why extensive quarantine measures should be restricted is that quarantines are effective only in limited circumstances.61 Richard Schabas points out three highly improbable factors that must be present in order for a quarantine to work. 1)Patients must show signs of having a communicable disease that can be transmitted in its early stages. With many diseases, this simply is not possible 2) Effective quarantine requires the identification of “all, or virtually all, people incubating the infection.” 3) Compliance is necessary in order for quarantine to be effective.
Initially, quarantine may seem like a necessary tool to protect the public health in the event of pandemic illness. However, closer examination demonstrates that the use of quarantine can be full of potential missteps: discrimination, abuse of individual rights, and misapplication of valuable resources on an essentially ineffective measure. The CDC’s proposed regulations must be further developed not only to avoid these potential missteps, but also to effectively implement a quarantine.

Temporary shut downs to stop the uncontrolled and rampant spread of disease are not gulags.
If you are allowed one hour of outdoor recreational time per day, required to justify your movements to police, required to stay home unless you get permission from your government well then it's a little on the gulag side of things.

Hang on there - part of your justification for calling public health measures for covid was that it’s not as bad as smallpox. So where is your line?  The point of adopting the line about existing hospital infrastructure is to adopt a rule that’s at least somewhat democratic - we all got a say in how much gets put into hospitals and are okay with that over multiple elections. What’s covered by those resources is a good rule of thumb for assessing when a new disease requires extraordinary measures.

So I’ll ask again: between smallpox and covid, what’s the death rate at which youd consider a lockdown justified and not totalitarian?
I'm not sure there is a simple, clear, and universal answer.  The appropriate responses to a bad cold or COVID or smallpox or the bubonic plague or HIV or Ebola or Tommygunn's perpetually referenced "Andromeda Strain" would all vary.

Your previously stated red line to justify lockdowns was not "equivalent to COVID".  You said that lockdowns should commence when hospitals are overwhelmed.  So by your own stated standards a bad flu year that overwhelms hospitals justify lockdowns.

You’re conflating a moral argument about whether people should have a chance to get vaccinated with public health questions about how much the disease would cost or impact.
If the two aren't closely related then the vaccines are hardly worth worrying about.

More vaccination including for poor and remote communities is  something I don’t think any Australian would oppose.
Except whomever is in charge of distributing vaccines, apparently.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #5836 on: August 29, 2021, 09:11:16 AM »
Alex Berenson, once of the New York Times, mind you, has been banned from Twitter for "covid misinformation". The misinformation being what the CDC has already admitted. But since the truth might keep people from getting poked, it had to be curated.

Basically he posted that the vaccine doesn't prevent covid or transmission, and shouldn't be mandated. This is accurate. You can still get covid, though it will likely be less severe. You can obviously still transmit it. This is scientific fact, yet "misinformation". He never said people shouldn't get it, just not to be forced to get it, nor to expect a miracle drug.

https://twitchy.com/samj-3930/2021/08/29/wtaf-tweet-twitter-suspended-alex-berenson-over-should-worry-any-and-every-person-daring-to-question-the-government-on-covid/
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #5837 on: August 29, 2021, 03:42:45 PM »
 :facepalm:

Arne Duncan
@arneduncan
·
6h
Have you noticed how strikingly similar both the mindsets and actions are between the suicide bombers at Kabul’s airport, and the anti-mask and anti-vax people here?
They both blow themselves up, inflict harm on those around them, and are convinced they are fighting for freedom.
https://twitter.com/arneduncan/status/1431974283388100612?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1431974283388100612%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Ftwitchy.com%2Fgregp-3534%2F2021%2F08%2F29%2Fformer-obama-education-secretary-arne-duncan-compares-anti-mask-and-anti-vax-americans-to-the-kabul-suicide-bombers%2F
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #5838 on: August 29, 2021, 06:01:36 PM »
Alex Berenson, once of the New York Times, mind you, has been banned from Twitter for "covid misinformation". The misinformation being what the CDC has already admitted. But since the truth might keep people from getting poked, it had to be curated.

Basically he posted that the vaccine doesn't prevent covid or transmission, and shouldn't be mandated. This is accurate. You can still get covid, though it will likely be less severe. You can obviously still transmit it. This is scientific fact, yet "misinformation". He never said people shouldn't get it, just not to be forced to get it, nor to expect a miracle drug.

https://twitchy.com/samj-3930/2021/08/29/wtaf-tweet-twitter-suspended-alex-berenson-over-should-worry-any-and-every-person-daring-to-question-the-government-on-covid/

The above really ought not be a surprise.  Vaccines are not Star Trek deflector shields.  Every year many people get a regular "flu" shot.  Every year this is "tweaked" as a best guess is made to make it effective against the supposed strain that will  prevail in the upcoming year.  Efficacy varies ... maybe 50% in some years, greater in other years.
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #5839 on: August 29, 2021, 08:25:15 PM »

https://youtu.be/1cG3PlcSiLA?t=115

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #5840 on: August 29, 2021, 08:49:22 PM »
The article you posted referenced:
1. Historical quarantines for international arrivals
2. Individual quarantines for people who were sick or exposed to a virus
3. Proposed rules for testing people in certain cases in airports and for brief provisional quarantines up to three days and the necessary quarantine orders to extend it beyond that, plus the necessary administrative hearings and judicial reviews for all individuals subject to longer than three day provisional quarantines.

It also discussed a variety of ways in which quarantine authority was abused.

What the article did not do was show where general and universal lockdowns as used for COVID are effective, legal, or with historical precedent in the US.

The purpose of posting the article was to point out that US laws on public health and quarantine are broad and give authorities wide latitude in responding to disease. You quoted from the advocacy parts of the article that argue quarantine powers are too broad and therefore at risk of abuse. What you did not quote is the broad summary of quarantine measures and confinement of even people who are not sick that precedes that advocacy. If you would read that part, you'll see that actually the legal powers between the UK/Australia/USA when it comes to quarantine and lock down are not that different.

I'm not sure why you expected it to give medical advice about measures that are responsive to disease - for that you have real life examples where lockdowns have eliminated covid.

I'm not sure there is a simple, clear, and universal answer.  The appropriate responses to a bad cold or COVID or smallpox or the bubonic plague or HIV or Ebola or Tommygunn's perpetually referenced "Andromeda Strain" would all vary.

If there's no clear answer, what makes you sure that these responses are not appropriate to COVID?

Your previously stated red line to justify lockdowns was not "equivalent to COVID".  You said that lockdowns should commence when hospitals are overwhelmed.  So by your own stated standards a bad flu year that overwhelms hospitals justify lockdowns.

Okay, well please cite the flu year you're referring to that flu overwhelmed hospitals in the USA. I don't think you're correct that a "bad flu year" whatever that means overwhelms US hospitals.

I can't find anything besides the 1918 pandemic that comparable in effect to what's happening now, so if you could please refer me to an example of a "bad flu year" I'll go through it and check hospitalisation and medical impact data.

From all sources I can find, COVID hospitalisations and deaths in one year are more like 10 flu years combined.
If the two aren't closely related then the vaccines are hardly worth worrying about.

Except whomever is in charge of distributing vaccines, apparently.

So are these points about whether lockdowns stop covid? Or whether they're justified?  For a host of reasons Aboriginal people and other disadvantaged groups have trouble accessing healthcare and that includes vaccines. Does that mean the COVID response as a whole is ineffective? Or is it a moral point, meant to show that the US healthcare is superior because native americans, poor people, and the 40 plus million people with no health insurance have superior access to healthcare?

Probably not that last point, as that would be laughably false - it's easy to concede that Aboriginal Australians face barriers to healthcare and point out that Americans of all backgrounds but especially Native Americans are far worse off on every measure, not just COVID care.

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #5841 on: August 29, 2021, 09:33:14 PM »
From interaction with some low-information folks around my urban area...

They mostly just get news and info from network news, and the local media outlets.

If you are exposed to it, you're going to catch it.

If you catch it, you are gonna DIE!

And it is going to hurt the whole time.

Doesn't matter if you are Eight or Eighty...
Blog under construction

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #5842 on: August 29, 2021, 09:59:31 PM »
From interaction with some low-information folks around my urban area...

They mostly just get news and info from network news, and the local media outlets.

If you are exposed to it, you're going to catch it.

If you catch it, you are gonna DIE!

And it is going to hurt the whole time.

Doesn't matter if you are Eight or Eighty...

Several 30-ish (aged) friends of ours were absolutely convinced that if they caught this disease, it would kill them.

Locked themselves in their home for over a year. (And now think the people that don't wear masks OUTSIDE are the crazy people.)

They also put on a bunch of weight during the lockdown. The lockdowns have been a spectacular success.... at making the general population less healthy.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #5843 on: August 29, 2021, 10:33:30 PM »
I'm sure I've said this before but we had several people in town get it last November. Three of them went to the hospital. They were all fat. One was over 80. His wife got it and it was a cold for a few days.

My dad had one friend die middle of last year. Over 80, stage 4 cancer and doing treatments. He got it from somewhere but my dad went off on the it's going to kill everyone. He's a JFK dem so I cut him some slack at his age. He is very smart but his thought process just sucks.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #5844 on: August 30, 2021, 07:55:23 AM »
According to the Really Smart People, we barely avoided Captain Trips by wearing face masks. And if we keep doing that, we'll never get sick again.
Blog under construction

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #5845 on: August 30, 2021, 08:04:13 AM »
According to the Really Smart People, we barely avoided Captain Trips by wearing face masks. And if we keep doing that, we'll never get sick again.
For the better part of a century the observation of scientists and health care professionals was that masks did little to nothing to stop the spread of airborn disease.

The vast majority of recent studies confirm that observation or are inclusive.

There are a couple? of studies that claim masks work, the fearful and gullible cling to them with a death grip ignoring nearly a century of data. 

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #5846 on: August 30, 2021, 08:31:36 AM »
The purpose of posting the article was to point out that US laws on public health and quarantine are broad and give authorities wide latitude in responding to disease. You quoted from the advocacy parts of the article that argue quarantine powers are too broad and therefore at risk of abuse. What you did not quote is the broad summary of quarantine measures and confinement of even people who are not sick that precedes that advocacy. If you would read that part, you'll see that actually the legal powers between the UK/Australia/USA when it comes to quarantine and lock down are not that different.
I have read the whole thing several times, De Selby.  I'm not convinced you read it once.

Again, the actual quarantine abilities referenced in that article do not demonstrate or even hint at the authority to do anything like Australian-style lockdowns.  Pointing out that they locked someone with TB up or used to make ships stay in quarantine prior to disembarking or have the authority to issue temporary 3 day individual quarantines subject to review does not automatically extrapolate to: "CLOSE BUSINESSES, ORDER PEOPLE TO STAY IN THEIR HOMES, FINE PEOPLE WHO GO OUTSIDE, ARREST PEOPLE WHO EVEN TALK ABOUT PEACEABLY ASSEMBLING!"

Of course, in the US we would have to add "BUT RIOTS ARE PROBABLY OKAY AS LONG AS THE RIOTERS ARE SUFFICIENTLY WOKE."

I'm not sure why you expected it to give medical advice about measures that are responsive to disease - for that you have real life examples where lockdowns have eliminated covid.
Dude, we are right back around to where we started.  I know that a totalitarian regime without US-style guarantees of civil rights or due process can lock their country down to the point of temporarily excluding COVID (until it gets in again and then they have to lock down again).  I'm saying that I don't like totalitarian regimes with the power to do stuff like that.  Such a system gives you the warm fuzzies.  Great.  I'm very glad you have been able to emigrate to a country whose outlook on civil rights reflects your own and hope you are able to receive citizenship there.

Okay, well please cite the flu year you're referring to that flu overwhelmed hospitals in the USA. I don't think you're correct that a "bad flu year" whatever that means overwhelms US hospitals.
If you believe the hospitals, 2017-2018 is nice and recent, but there have certainly been worse years than that.
https://time.com/5107984/hospitals-handling-burden-flu-patients/
https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden-averted/2017-2018.htm

I can't find anything besides the 1918 pandemic that comparable in effect to what's happening now, so if you could please refer me to an example of a "bad flu year" I'll go through it and check hospitalisation and medical impact data.
I've never claimed that bad flu years are comparable to COVID.  COVID is worse, no doubt.  The point is that you set your personal bar for Australia-style universal and repeated lockdowns and settling for nothing less than the local elimination of a given disease at "overwhelms hospital capacity".  Based on your own words a bad flu season should result in total lockdowns.  Now you're backpedaling and saying "oh, oh, but that's not as bad as COVID".

So are these points about whether lockdowns stop covid? Or whether they're justified? 
I was trying to steelman your position and give it all the benefit of the doubt possible.  The impact on the aboriginal community was the very best argument I had seen in favor of the Australia lockdowns, albeit one you had not brought up.  If there is a real risk that COVID could wipe out, or nearly wipe out an entire community because of that community's inherent lack of developed immunity to then I'd certainly understand the drive to protect that community - if still not necessarily agreeing with the morality of imprisoning a people to protect them. 

If it were in fact the case that Australia was locking down generally to protect the aboriginal community then I would expect them to be at the tip of the spear when it comes to vaccine distribution.  You know, like how the elderly were given the first crack at getting the vaccine when quantities were low.  The fact that they are the least COVID vaccinated group in Australia, and that the vaccines assigned to aboriginal communities are meted out so sparingly gives lie to that argument.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #5847 on: August 30, 2021, 09:14:03 AM »
For the better part of a century the observation of scientists and health care professionals was that masks did little to nothing to stop the spread of airborn disease.

This is not a true statement.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #5848 on: August 30, 2021, 09:14:33 AM »

The vast majority of recent studies confirm that observation or are inclusive.

There are a couple? of studies that claim masks work, the fearful and gullible cling to them with a death grip ignoring nearly a century of data.
Aren't most of the "masks work" studies looking at the more robust masks that doctors and nurses wear in hospitals that are designs for the purpose?  They are certainly not referring to bandanas pulled over the face or even the flimsy paper masks people get.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #5849 on: August 30, 2021, 09:51:37 AM »
This is not a true statement.

Even Fauci is on record early on telling the press that there is no reason the public should be masking up. There were plenty of others and still are that point to the science.

During this pandemic time there have been some studies that support your position, no politics involved I'm sure.

Studies of the Spanish Flu and the effectiveness of masks didn't show what you claim.

Regardless, wear the mask if it makes you feel safe.