Author Topic: COVID-19/corona virus mega thread/prepping thread  (Read 453252 times)

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re: COVID-19/corona virus mega thread/prepping thread
« Reply #5877 on: September 01, 2021, 08:49:10 PM »
That's not exactly the best way to handle the situation:

https://cwbchicago.com/2021/08/security-guard-who-shot-man-3-times-acted-in-self-defense-because-the-victim-wasnt-wearing-a-covid-mask-lawyer-says.html

How does a two-time felon get a license to work as armed security?

Oh, wait! It's Chicago ... and the article didn't say he had a license to work as armed security.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #5878 on: September 01, 2021, 09:12:26 PM »
Did that include snarky bastards wearing vented N95 masks getting in folks' faces?

I thought you were planning on being shot.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #5879 on: September 01, 2021, 09:19:13 PM »
Getting shot is a serious possibility... I've had youts walk in the door, look around, see too many/wrong type of people, and just turn around and walk back to their vehicle. Usually backed in...
Blog under construction

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #5880 on: September 02, 2021, 10:12:30 AM »
Pfizer is fast tracking a treatment, two pills a day, for those who have been vaccinated and still get sick from Covid-19.

It doesn't replace the vaccine but is designed for those who are already vaccinated and still get infected with Covid-19.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #5881 on: September 02, 2021, 10:40:36 AM »
Pfizer is fast tracking a treatment, two pills a day, for those who have been vaccinated and still get sick from Covid-19.

It doesn't replace the vaccine but is designed for those who are already vaccinated and still get infected with Covid-19.

Are we to expect their pills will work any better than their vaccine?
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #5882 on: September 02, 2021, 10:48:39 AM »
Are we to expect their pills will work any better than their vaccine?

Every vaccine seems to have its limits .....
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #5883 on: September 02, 2021, 10:49:33 AM »
Do ya think that there MAY be a reason why there hasn't been a vaccine for the common cold until now? I wonder what we're going to learn, science-wise, from this massive experiment...
Blog under construction

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #5884 on: September 02, 2021, 10:52:33 AM »
The "common cold"   isn't just one virus, for starters ...  .......
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

ConstitutionCowboy

• friend
  • My Gender and Pronouns are Standard.
« Reply #5885 on: September 02, 2021, 10:55:52 AM »
Do ya think that there MAY be a reason why there hasn't been a vaccine for the common cold until now? I wonder what we're going to learn, science-wise, from this massive experiment...

Not much so far. Just wait for the fan and the pile of manure to align...

Woody
« Last Edit: September 03, 2021, 10:46:49 AM by ConstitutionCowboy »
   "Knowing the past, I'll not surrender any arms and march less prepared into the future."   B.E.Wood

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #5886 on: September 02, 2021, 11:15:33 AM »
It isn't just one virus. And coronaviruses are part of that mix...

They're just new, different, and just like always, when a sick geezer gets a bad cold, they go downhill fast.
Blog under construction

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #5887 on: September 02, 2021, 12:45:07 PM »
Well we're about out of sick geezers for the year, so we can concentrate on the younguns that are going downhill fast.  That's handy.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #5888 on: September 02, 2021, 02:25:23 PM »
Breakthrough COVID-19 cases are rising, and experts are trying to figure out exactly what that means
https://www.columbian.com/news/2021/aug/30/breakthrough-covid-19-cases-are-rising-and-experts-are-trying-to-figure-out-exactly-what-that-means/

I guess this is already being discussed.  It seems to me that vaccines work by provoking an immune response in the body.  If someone's immune system is poor or compromised, the vaccine won't work so well.

“My lungs are clear, and I’m able to breathe easily, so I feel protected since I’ve been vaccinated,” the 68-year-old lawmaker said Thursday. “The vaccine only protects you so you don’t end up on a ventilator or dead.”
It would be nice to have a way to find out if you are naturally in the percentage of people who might get hospitalized since most people don't end up on a ventilator. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Jim147

• friends
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #5890 on: September 02, 2021, 04:52:10 PM »
I bet these same people cheered the dogs getting shot.

https://redstate.com/bonchie/2021/09/02/australias-next-authoritarian-move-is-so-insane-that-it-would-make-orwell-blush-n437161
I realize that is for people who tested positive, but that is some serious mess.  I predict it won't be long before the quarantine camps open.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

zahc

• friend
« Reply #5892 on: September 02, 2021, 05:37:48 PM »
There's fringe theories out there that the vaccines are causing amplification of the virus in at least a small percentage of people, either leading to vaccine failure or causing them to be asymptomatic but shed huge/amplified amounts of the virus or become Typhoid-mary-like permacarriers, and that this is actually what's driving the summer outbreaks, which is being blamed on the delta variant. It also would account for the push to make everyone get vaccinated, because if everyone is vaccinated then it becomes harder to identify any such problem with the vaccine, because there's no control group left. And it also explains the sudden and basically unexplained reversion to asking vaccinated people to wear masks again. The problem with the theory is that outbreaks still seem to be hitting unvaccinated people heavily. Although the CDC's incompetence in reporting any intelligible numbers, or tracking the effectiveness of the vaccines in any way that would answer people's concerns doesn't help with disproving these theories.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #5893 on: September 02, 2021, 09:09:49 PM »
Of course, if it is a nasty summer cold (I bet people aren't getting those this year...) that happens to be coded enough to mimic the testing?

I wonder how close Covid-19abcdefghijkchefboyardee is to the covids we are used to - I'm gonna guess VERY damn close.

Oh, and remember the SARS scare a few  years ago? That's still out there. Only not so much.
Blog under construction

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #5894 on: September 03, 2021, 09:33:19 PM »
The German government is forbidding employers from asking employees if they have been vaccinated. That may change for some "high risk" businesses, but for them proof will be vaccination, negative covid test, or proof of recovery from covid.

I still haven't seen any allowances for natural immunity in our country. We are one of the most backward, science denying countries in the world on this right now.

https://www.theepochtimes.com/german-employers-not-allowed-to-request-workers-vaccination-status-labor-minister_3980684.html
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #5895 on: September 03, 2021, 10:10:36 PM »
^^^I am always interested to see how other First World countries are approaching this.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #5896 on: September 03, 2021, 10:24:10 PM »
There's fringe theories out there that the vaccines are causing amplification of the virus in at least a small percentage of people, either leading to vaccine failure or causing them to be asymptomatic but shed huge/amplified amounts of the virus or become Typhoid-mary-like permacarriers, and that this is actually what's driving the summer outbreaks, which is being blamed on the delta variant. It also would account for the push to make everyone get vaccinated, because if everyone is vaccinated then it becomes harder to identify any such problem with the vaccine, because there's no control group left. And it also explains the sudden and basically unexplained reversion to asking vaccinated people to wear masks again. The problem with the theory is that outbreaks still seem to be hitting unvaccinated people heavily. Although the CDC's incompetence in reporting any intelligible numbers, or tracking the effectiveness of the vaccines in any way that would answer people's concerns doesn't help with disproving these theories.

It is not a "fringe theory".

https://childrenshealthdefense.org/defender/vaccinated-healthcare-workers-threat-unvaccinated-patients-co-workers/
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #5897 on: September 03, 2021, 10:40:08 PM »
It is if mass media says it is fringe...

Anyone notice all the folks on the cruise ships and Navy ships who didn't catch it and die... DIE!!!!!!
Blog under construction

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #5898 on: September 03, 2021, 11:05:00 PM »
Yeah, I sprained my eyeballs trying to stop them from rolling when I read that blatant nonsense.

Reading this stuff is bad for one's cognitive and emotional health.

zahc

• friend
« Reply #5899 on: September 04, 2021, 12:30:39 AM »
It is not a "fringe theory".

https://childrenshealthdefense.org/defender/vaccinated-healthcare-workers-threat-unvaccinated-patients-co-workers/

The paper you linked doesn't substantiate the theory in any way. The conclusion of the paper is just "delta=super contagious". They only found high viral loads in the breakthrough cases but that could just mean delta is bad which we already knew. They didn't seem to even test any unvaccinated people to see if they were any differences because of the vaccine.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine